Rocket League

gabe.paul.logan

Retired Footballer
7 January 2007
Budapest
Hungary
Ok, am i the only one playing this here?
Actually i started it back in 2016 or 2017 and im still playing it, 701 hours in and im between platinum 2-3 right now. I believe this is still the best just hopp in online game currently. Also the mechanics are pretty good and the ranking system is really addicting. Of course im yelling at the monitor sometimes "scripting" but oh well..the game for sure favours faster reaction times thus more the young people.

You are definitely not the only one, and I agree that it's just so easy to jump in for a few games. :)

I bought it back in 2016, Steam says I have played it for 873 hours (even though I didn't play between 10/2017 and 10/2019). Considering the gameplay and fun-factor it has provided me, the 8 EUR I paid for it was a steal!

Got back to it after realising that PES was unplayable online this year, and managed to reach our new personal best in Doubles together with @rojofa.

Sitting at Champion 2 currently, but unfortunately we've mostly given up on trying to progress past this rank, as people are just too good for us at this level. It's often quite frustrating, but we can't really be bothered spending time practicing, so we just play when it feels fun.

You are definitely not the only one, and I agree that it's just so easy to jump in for a few games. :)

I bought it back in 2016, Steam says I have played it for 873 hours (even though I didn't play between 10/2017 and 10/2019). Considering the gameplay and fun-factor it has provided me, the 8 EUR I paid for it was a steal!

Got back to it after realising that PES was unplayable online this year, and managed to reach our new personal best in Doubles together with @rojofa.

Sitting at Champion 2 currently, but unfortunately we've mostly given up on trying to progress past this rank, as people are just too good for us at this level. It's often quite frustrating, but we can't really be bothered spending time practicing, so we just play when it feels fun.
Yeah i know this is the only footy game recently where im excited after a great save, great goal, here i get the anything can happen feeling. Only downfall is that im playing strangers mostly and i have to have the chat turned on for team comm. but there are a quiet few angry birds who always try to upset you.

The matchmaking feels at times like it's trying to force you into a winning/losing streak by giving you opponents from significantly higher or lower skill levels (you can see their MMR on PC with BakkesMod), but the actual gameplay during the match is completely unscripted.

Where the ball goes is entirely based on physics, how the cars make contact with the ball - there's no BS like higher rated/faster cars, assisted passing/shooting etc. It's pure skill based competition and certainly the best online "football" game.

The community can be awful at times and now Epic Games have their grubby mitts on it I'm a bit concerned what they will do in the future... But as far as online competitive games go at the moment, this is an example of how to do things right.

The matchmaking feels at times like it's trying to force you into a winning/losing streak by giving you opponents from significantly higher or lower skill levels (you can see their MMR on PC with BakkesMod), but the actual gameplay during the match is completely unscripted.

Where the ball goes is entirely based on physics, how the cars make contact with the ball - there's no BS like higher rated/faster cars, assisted passing/shooting etc. It's pure skill based competition and certainly the best online "football" game.

The community can be awful at times and now Epic Games have their grubby mitts on it I'm a bit concerned what they will do in the future... But as far as online competitive games go at the moment, this is an example of how to do things right.

Thats spot on defines the game's cheating mechanics more than enough. The way it randomizes your partners or opponents. Awful, currently now im on a 15 game loosing streak for 3 days now, whoever i play with we loose while the opponent play grandmaster level despite we are playing quiet decent games just cant score at all.
And yes in the same time i accept the fact that the opposite happens when im on a 15 games winning streak which exactly happened before.
Of course sometimes the game is very mellow and the matchmaking is pretty fair, but thats more rare.

Other than this, its the best footy fix for me in the past 3 years.

Since Sunday again...i went from Platinum 2 to Diamond 2 with 10 straight wins(!), today i went back to Plat 3 with 10 straight losses. If this game is not fucked i dunno what it is.

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, this is going free-to-play shortly, the date seemed to be leaked by Nintendo as the 23rd;
uFLbyHy.png

https://www.rocketleague.com/free-to-play/

If you're fed up of the recent football games then this is a great alternative imo, I get more of a feeling of playing a sport with this than with any other actual sports game. It's great, especially if you play co-op with other people at the same level.

Great game, have been playing it since it first came out pretty much.

Very toxic playerbase though, especially on PC. I only play muted these days unless I'm playing in a party.

Seems like it's been ages since Epic Games acquired Psyonix, and the game still isn't on their store yet! Looking forward to hopefully getting more players though once it is free to play. :)

It will be moving yeah, but you will still play it from Steam if you own it there already. It won't be available on Steam for new players once it launches on Epic though.

The whole game changed. Menus became horrible, even matchmaking. People are palying with AI in competitive games. I get dropped in a game with 50 secs left 7-0 down. WTF?!

The whole game changed. Menus became horrible, even matchmaking. People are palying with AI in competitive games. I get dropped in a game with 50 secs left 7-0 down. WTF?!
I haven't played for a few weeks, damn that doesn't sound good :P. It should only use bots or drop you in for casual games not ranked... Maybe I'll wait a while for them to fix it.

I haven't played for a few weeks, damn that doesn't sound good :P. It should only use bots or drop you in for casual games not ranked... Maybe I'll wait a while for them to fix it.

I hope it wasnt ranked...perhaps just the whole layout changed so much that i got confused.

Since Sunday again...i went from Platinum 2 to Diamond 2 with 10 straight wins(!), today i went back to Plat 3 with 10 straight losses. If this game is not fucked i dunno what it is.

Sames shit with the matchmaking. 15 wins then 15 losses. The game just gives u suddenly 10-15 mates with a high forfeit ratio or loss ratio. Period.

I'm a low gc, but I would say matchmaking is alright. Though you should understand that you're mostly playing with young people in the game. So they won't defend at all in lower ranks. You gotta play the 3rd man role pretty much committed to it and over-rotate until you get to about c3 or high c2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom