Rooney or Henry

Who is the king of England?

• Rooney

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Henry

Votes: 75 81.5%

• Total voters
Don Domenico said:
That would be proven then, that it wouldn't make much of a difference.
But that way of thinking is wrong. Which is why I said MOST people would think that way. They would probably think that having the better player in your squad is right decision. But when thinking about the squad, its no longer about one individual, its about the team. And Rooney gives much more to the team than Henry does.

beboquintero said:
Rooney is a Beast by nature (Top Notch)

honestly it took years for Thierry to be Great.that`s why i compare him to Michael Jordan.Think about it!

How can you compare him to Jordan when Henry has never played in the NBA? I'm sure he could make a few layups but I doubt he could dunk like Jordan, what height is Henry? Would he barely come close to 6 foot? And God knows what he is like behind the 3-point arc.

steevio_uk said:
I'd then vote Rooney, because he has 8 years on Henry.
If I wanted someone in my sqaud, I have Rooney for another 10 years.

I would have Henry for 3 or 4 tops.
thinking for the future eh? building is smart,but young can never lead just follow...so I vote Henry a good leader can produce other leaders(that`s why I instruct my kids,and not they instruct ;) )

I'd rather have a follower for 10 years than a leader for only 3. And we all know what happened in 99 when we were without our leader.

Dermot said:
How can you compare him to Jordan when Henry has never played in the NBA? I'm sure he could make a few layups but I doubt he could dunk like Jordan, what height is Henry? Would he barely come close to 6 foot?
he`s 6`3" He goes to Madison garden a few times w/ his wifey.Alright to make all MJ fans happy...I`ll take back what i said about Jordan.I compare Henry to Dr. Martin Luther King"Stand up Speak up" And Henry has help all Against racism in Europe espeacially in Spain(they hate blacks more than America)I know I`m Dominican and my wife Espanola

RuneEdge said:
I'd rather have a follower for 10 years than a leader for only 3. And we all know what happened in 99 when we were without our leader.
Rune I`m not trying to debate you....so you win, Move along!

beboquintero said:
...espeacially in Spain(they hate blacks more than America)I know I`m Dominican and my wife Espanola

I feel utterly offended and insulted because of that stupid statement.

I beg you to take it back, please. That is an absurd statement, given that Spain is one of the greatest immigration recipient countries and there is virtually no racism in the streets. The fact that we've been an emigrating country for so long helps us understand the situation. Racism is not a problem in Spain.

Yellow papers - especially British - have hyped the fact that Samuel Eto'o has received monkey-like shouting from rival fans. This has been publicized, and repeated therefore, because of the fact that Eto'o actually felt offended by this. The point of the fans was to annoy him, not to declare their racism. In the same way, they call Ronaldo "gordo", Gurpegi "junkie", Guti "maricón" or a player that has made a mistake "tonto". That doesn't mean that Spanish people are fat-haters, junkie-haters, gay-haters or fool-haters. That means that fans try to annoy the rival players at all costs.

I find it much worse when Figo or Laudrup went to play to the Nou Camp against Barça with Real Madrid and the fans threatened to murder them... but there was no media hype then.

Spanish society is one of the most tolerant in the world. I am so tired of stupid statements based in "what I've been told" or "what I've read at News of The World".

So, as a Spanish born citizen whose mother was born in Melilla and raised in Morocco, I beg that you apologize and take that back. Thank you.

RuneEdge said:
But that way of thinking is wrong. Which is why I said MOST people would think that way. They would probably think that having the better player in your squad is right decision. But when thinking about the squad, its no longer about one individual, its about the team. And Rooney gives much more to the team than Henry does.

That way of thinking is not wrong. It's wrong because you don't agree with it?

Which is better in a squad is a personal thing, not to be determined by you. Your way of thinking is not neceassarily the right way. I think plenty of people, myself included, think that Henry gives much more to the team than Rooney does.

Gedtillo said:

I beg you to take it back, please. That is an absurd statement, given that Spain is one of the greatest immigration recipient countries and there is virtually no racism in the streets. The fact that we've been an emigrating country for so long helps us understand the situation. Racism is not a problem in Spain.

Yellow papers - especially British - have hyped the fact that Samuel Eto'o has received monkey-like shouting from rival fans. This has been publicized, and repeated therefore, because of the fact that Eto'o actually felt offended by this. The point of the fans was to annoy him, not to declare their racism. In the same way, they call Ronaldo "gordo", Gurpegi "junkie", Guti "maricón" or a player that has made a mistake "tonto". That doesn't mean that Spanish people are fat-haters, junkie-haters, gay-haters or fool-haters. That means that fans try to annoy the rival players at all costs.

I find it much worse when Figo or Laudrup went to play to the Nou Camp against Barça with Real Madrid and the fans threatened to murder them... but there was no media hype then.

Spanish society is one of the most tolerant in the world. I am so tired of stupid statements based in "what I've been told" or "what I've read at News of The World".

So, as a Spanish born citizen whose mother was born in Melilla and raised in Morocco, I beg that you apologize and take that back. Thank you.
sorry man, your ignorance is bliss. YOu utterly have a problem with racisim, and its obvious to the whole world except for the spaniards. My country is the greatest imigration country EVER, and there is still racisim here, that has nothing to do with it... Eto'o? how about shaun wright phillips? YOUR ENTIRE CROWD was jumping up and down like a monkey and making monkey noises when you played england.. thats not an
isolated incident, thats not ribbing a player, ITS RACIST! When football is the national sport and your entire crowd of spanish fans are imitating monkeys everytime a black player touches a ball, says alot about spanish culture. And then spaniards like yourself make statements like "he point of the fans was to annoy him"

"that doesn't mean that Spanish people are fat-haters, junkie-haters, gay-haters or fool-haters. That means that fans try to annoy the rival players at all costs"

you excuse it as nothing wrong has happend. Close this thread mods.

Gedtillo said:
Disculpa..lo siento,I know in futbol you say things either to encourage or discourage.My wife comes from Spain,I was born in the Republica Dominicana.I been to Spain,I know when translating Spanish to English it comes out different. I`m Sorry

Don Domenico said:
That way of thinking is not wrong. It's wrong because you don't agree with it?

Which is better in a squad is a personal thing, not to be determined by you. Your way of thinking is not neceassarily the right way. I think plenty of people, myself included, think that Henry gives much more to the team than Rooney does.
Maybe "wrong" was the err...wrong word to use there. I mean, that way of thinking isnt effective if you want a good football team.
And the reason I feel this way is because, for a successful team, you need great mental and physical strength. You dont need flair and technique. Liverpool were the perfect example of this last year.
Henry's main strength is his technique and most fans here love to see that. But ask any manager and they would tell you that isnt the most important thing. As good as he is, he still needs service. Most games where Arsenal might have been outplayed, its normally because his supply is cut out. Henry can also be the provider but only in the final third of the pitch.
He's always gonna be considered one of the best, if not THE best player because when he's doing what he does, theres arguably no one better. Which is why I voted for Henry right from the start of this thread (so you cant tell me I'm biased). But the discussion has now changed and the question is who you'd rather want in your team. If you told me to choose between Henry and Terry, I'd pick Terry. If you said Henry or Gerrard, I'd say Gerrard. Both players arent better than Henry but are more important.
Now Rooney's main strength is his physical strength, mentality and his will/desperation to win at everything he does. Managers admire that a lot more. You can even see this (although it was amplified a little) in the Joga Bonito ad where he gets pissed off at his own keeper so he decided to take matters into his own hands. And these characteristics also rub off onto the rest of the players on the pitch. Whereas Henry's technique doesnt help anyone else but himself.
This is also one of the main reasons why Man Utd fans love Alan Smith. People like it when he gets stuck in with his slide tackles cuz it encourages everyone else in the team to do exactly the same. Watch some games before his injury and you can clearly see times when he'd jump in for a tackle and miss but it encourages some of the other players to do the same and eventually retrieve the ball. And whats amazing is that these are characteristics that you expect from older and more experienced players, not young players.
This alone is a good enough reason to pick Rooney ahead of Henry. But thats not all, Rooney also has great technique to go along with this AND also has his age on his side.
Young, gifted players usually begin with technique but lack the mentality and the understanding of the game, which they hope to build as they get older. And you can see this in players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Robben, Van Persie, etc. Rooney seems to already have all this at the age of 20.

I might have teams that I hate but I dont like to single out players. I can appreciate any player regardless of what team they play for. I would be the first to tell you if someone is good or bad. I dont lie and say I think Henry is crap just because he plays for Arsenal. Which is why I said I voted for Henry in the original poll. This is just my honest and unbiased opinion.

Last edited:
csaunders said:
Eto'o? how about shaun wright phillips? YOUR ENTIRE CROWD was jumping up and down like a monkey and making monkey noises when you played england..

That's true, I can verify this, I was at that game selling bananas, I predicted a good money making oppurtunity.

How does a question of who is the best player suddenly turn into one of who woul dyou rather have in your team. As far as I am concerned this smacks of not being able to just say Thierry is a better player. Simple and short. Case closed. Game Over.

The poll states categorically: Who is the king of England? Not who would you want as the prince of your team.......................?

Suddenly the debate has been twisted into something utterly subjective and inconclusive. Just because some people grudgingly cannot absolutely say Henry is the best. Now it is he doesn't fight for the ball, track back, lead, intimidate etc. Bollocks. He is the most inspirational player on his team. He doesn't need to intimidate: he does that with his skill. I would say he has as much determination and drive as Rooney, he just doesn't need to kicj someone to show it. Other players on a team serve in those roles. Kolo Toure plays a similar role as Terry. Patrick Vieira was an intimidator, destroyer just like Keane: that didnt make them better than Henry (im my opinion).

As soon as you start to breakdown a simple arguments into subjective fragments holes automatically start to develop. How can you say Gerrard and Terry are more important than Henry. This coming from someone (Runedge) who stated before that Arsenal are a one-man team and will be nothing without Henry. Chelsea will keep winning without Terry I can assure you. Liverpool kept winning without Gerrard.

As for the argument that Rooney will provide more years of service.......thats really valid. Hoewever, considering how injury prone he is becoming, hopefully, it doesnt cut down on those ten years ala Michael Owen.

lucasetor said:
How does a question of who is the best player suddenly turn into one of who woul dyou rather have in your team. As far as I am concerned this smacks of not being able to just say Thierry is a better player. Simple and short. Case closed. Game Over.

The poll states categorically: Who is the king of England? Not who would you want as the prince of your team.......................?

Suddenly the debate has been twisted into something utterly subjective and inconclusive. Just because some people grudgingly cannot absolutely say Henry is the best. Now it is he doesn't fight for the ball, track back, lead, intimidate etc. Bollocks. He is the most inspirational player on his team. He doesn't need to intimidate: he does that with his skill. I would say he has as much determination and drive as Rooney, he just doesn't need to kicj someone to show it. Other players on a team serve in those roles. Kolo Toure plays a similar role as Terry. Patrick Vieira was an intimidator, destroyer just like Keane: that didnt make them better than Henry (im my opinion).

As soon as you start to breakdown a simple arguments into subjective fragments holes automatically start to develop. How can you say Gerrard and Terry are more important than Henry. This coming from someone (Runedge) who stated before that Arsenal are a one-man team and will be nothing without Henry. Chelsea will keep winning without Terry I can assure you. Liverpool kept winning without Gerrard.

As for the argument that Rooney will provide more years of service.......thats really valid. Hoewever, considering how injury prone he is becoming, hopefully, it doesnt cut down on those ten years ala Michael Owen.

"I would say he has as much determination and drive as Rooney, he just doesn't need to kicj someone to show it"

well you just added more craziness to the thread, so now your a hipocrite

so your saying that rooney plays hard by kicking the opponents...

csaunders said:
"I would say he has as much determination and drive as Rooney, he just doesn't need to kicj someone to show it"

well you just added more craziness to the thread, so now your a hipocrite

so your saying that rooney plays hard by kicking the opponents...

notice he said "kicj' though, which has a totally different meaning from kick, it's street slang from the slum gangs of Rio De Janeiro and it means "score a lot of goals on".

lucasetor said:

Oh shut up. First of all, this has nothing to do with not being able to say Henry is a better player cuz as a matter of fact, I voted for Henry in this thread before most others did so I was the first to admit this.
And this is a message board. We normally have discussions here. And since who is the better player is a obvious question, we moved onto something that requires a bit more thought. Sorry if you cant keep up with it.
Secondly, players like Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney have a more unique combination of characteristics that cant be found anywhere else which is why they are more important cuz only they can fit into their roles. Although you cant find another Henry, you can still find players who would do his job (just not up to his standard).

lucasetor said:

kevano22 said:
it depends. If you say "who would you rather have in your team?", id probably pick rooney, for the workrate and the fact he can produce something out of nothing.

my bad :)

Henry by a mile.

Rooney is a brilliant player, but not at Henry's level now. Henry would probably make the subs bench in a world XI whilst Rooney wouldn't. ;)

FD

csaunders said:
sorry man, your ignorance is bliss. YOu utterly have a problem with racisim, and its obvious to the whole world except for the spaniards. My country is the greatest imigration country EVER, and there is still racisim here, that has nothing to do with it... Eto'o? how about shaun wright phillips? YOUR ENTIRE CROWD was jumping up and down like a monkey and making monkey noises when you played england.. thats not an
isolated incident, thats not ribbing a player, ITS RACIST! When football is the national sport and your entire crowd of spanish fans are imitating monkeys everytime a black player touches a ball, says alot about spanish culture. And then spaniards like yourself make statements like "he point of the fans was to annoy him"

"that doesn't mean that Spanish people are fat-haters, junkie-haters, gay-haters or fool-haters. That means that fans try to annoy the rival players at all costs"

you excuse it as nothing wrong has happend. Close this thread mods.

Certainly I don't want to hijack this thread, but I won't take this anymore. If your idea of a racist society is that of one in which the crowd at points does that to annoy a rival, you've got a big problem. Spanish fans are not imitating monkeys EVERY TIME a black player touches the ball. It is something that recently has been "in fashion" by some stupid group of fans, but that has nothing to do with the entire feeling of this society.

It is funny how you tell me, a Spaniard, that my "ingnorance is bliss" concerning my own society, in which I live... and you tell me that from afar! :D So funny! OK, so you know more of Spanish society than I do... and your knowledge comes from watching a football game and reading the English tabloids. Cool, that's good knowledge. Not that you've experienced that here, have you?

On the contrary, I happened to have been living at the States, and believe me, I wouldn't ever say that the US people build a racist society basing my opinion in, say, a movie like "Crash", although it clearly portraits that idea. My experience did not show me that, and I could well be wrong, but I wouldn't make such a statement so fast.

So please, be respectful with other people's countries, do not try to teach me how my country is or is not. Maybe the problem is that you only take a peek at the surface, people like you and the tabloid writers hear a monkey noise from a group of stupid fans and scream "racism!", but do not care about what's inside. I say I certainly prefer a society in which stupid fans make that noises but at the end of the day are respectful with the ones that come from abroad and try to make a living here, than a society in which nobody ever says nothing "politically incorrect", but then, behind that mask, show a trend to segregate and discriminate.

Speaking of Spanish culture, I'd be delighted to read a couple of lines from you to see how much do you know of our thousands of years of history or culture. ;) Please, cut the crap. We're not a racist society. Muslim immigrants are very common here, and we had ZERO problems after the 11-M terrorist attacks with them. Instead, all the society joined in a call of support to them, knowing that they had nothing to do. That's not what a racist society does.

Trust me! Spain got there problems....a beautiful country and beautiful women,that where it stop.No need to bring my experience in it,Forget monkey chant what about,the new chant is"We`re White and we`re better"that funny cause Spainard are known as "Lo Negros de Europa"

In the US it on all the spanish news and you see Eto` talking how he`s hurting,but then some people say not everybody feels this way,So you can`t expect everyone to see what you see it call opinion= looking at a situation from another view.My view is I live in different countries and I enjoy my life in Florida (the melting pot of south america and caribbean)My next stop a Flat in the grove(highbury):D

Last edited:
dmorgs said:
Henry is more of the complete player, so I would have to pick him
Could you explain how or why he's a more complete player?

beboquintero said:
Trust me! Spain got there problems....a beautiful country and beautiful women,that where it stop.No need to bring my experience in it,Forget monkey chant what about,the new chant is"We`re White and we`re better"that funny cause Spainard are known as "Lo Negros de Europa"

In the US it on all the spanish news and you see Eto` talking how he`s hurting,but then some people say not everybody feels this way,So you can`t expect everyone to see what you see it call opinion= looking at a situation from another view.My view is I live in different countries and I enjoy my life in Florida (the melting pot of south america and caribbean)My next stop a Flat in the grove(highbury):D

Dude, there's no way I can understand what you wrote there. I live in Spain, I don't need to trust you in anything concerning my own society. ;) I actually live inside it! :D I can tell better than you how it feels like. That new chant you speak of... never heard of it, neither has anyone I know. Never either heard of that "negros de Europa" thing... but that surely could have a racist connotation, couldn't it? ;)

You can look at it however you like, but there's no racism in Spain. Move on. Or come here and see! :D

Regards! :D

Back
Top Bottom