Roulette and Lifting the ball - do you use it?

Wlionheart

Non-League
27 March 2006
Sydney
Fair enough the roulette can be used to beat players, but wouldn't you opt for something less fancy (perhaps more effective) such as sidestepping or fake-shooting?

What about lifting the ball? I havent been in a situation where I would acually use it. Perhaps chipping the keeper?!

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

i use the roulette when im with players like zidane, and i no players would slider to take the ball of me when running. coz when u do it with skillful players they move it out the way of the tackle while keeping momentum! nice move i fink n e ways

so you pull off the roulette when a defender is fast approaching and about to tackle?
So players with high dribble acc./spd and technique can pull the roulette much easier?

Wlionheart said:
Fair enough the roulette can be used to beat players, but wouldn't you opt for something less fancy (perhaps more effective) such as sidestepping or fake-shooting?
What about lifting the ball? I havent been in a situation where I would acually use it. Perhaps chipping the keeper?!

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers
You could opt for that if you want mate. It's all about the situation though, sometimes the right thing to do is to opt for side step or cross/shot fake or just a normal sudden change of pace or direction to go past player while at times a great way to dribble is to use the 360 turn (roulette) or something else so I use that.

As for lifting ball, you can do it by quick touch of down to up on analog stick (right one) and could be used for when a player tackles and you do it and have a pacey guy who chips it over sliding tackle and can go and get ball after but I personally find it hard to pull off at right time and so barely ever use that.

And yes in general not everyone can pull off the 360 turn, in fact many with even great technique when you do it won't do it properly everytime and leave ball behind which makes for very comedy moments and a good laugh! :lol: :mrgreen: (So even if you are doing it with a great technical player, don't expect it to work everytime) but when it does it's a great move to avoid a tackle or challenge if utilized at right time like Rob said.

Last edited:
PLF said:
And yes in general not everyone can pull off the 360 turn, in fact many with even great technique when you do it won't do it properly everytime and leave ball behind which makes for very comedy moments and a good laugh! :lol: :mrgreen: (So even if you are doing it with a great technical player, don't expect it to work everytime) but when it does it's a great move to avoid a tackle or challenge if utilized at right time like Rob said.
This is something I didnt like about PES5. Even if you had 99 for technique there will be many times where you would mess up the move. They should have made it mess up a lot less often imo.

The slower you rotate the right stick, the more likely the success of the move I've found. :thumbup:

I use the 360 a good bit actually, when I have time and I anticipate a challenge. It's actually a very effective way of winning free kicks, give it a try, if you're half way through the motion and someone runs into you, you usually get a free kick.

It's also quality for online play, I've used it a couple of times when on runs and you can leave people for dust while also making them look like a tit. :mrgreen:

YO, just today I was about to do the roulette and hit the joystick all wrong. Instead Reyes did the flick up AND it freaking worked very well. The defender tried to steal it with a tackle (not sliding) and reyes flicked it over his feet just at the right team and than proceeded to run right by him. This lead to a chance on goal that Reyes shot and the keeper saved.

Of course you cannot do this tricks at full speed. The key is to time it just right and the more you practice it the better you will get at it. But dont expect to execute it 100% well all the time.

RuneEdge said:
This is something I didnt like about PES5. Even if you had 99 for technique there will be many times where you would mess up the move. They should have made it mess up a lot less often imo.
Yeah I mess it up quite often even with some good players.

Dar said:
The slower you rotate the right stick, the more likely the success of the move I've found. :thumbup:

I use the 360 a good bit actually, when I have time and I anticipate a challenge. It's actually a very effective way of winning free kicks, give it a try, if you're half way through the motion and someone runs into you, you usually get a free kick.
Oh really? Nice thanks for the tip. Will try that and hopefully mess it up less now thanks to this new-found knowledge :) and yeah I noticed about the FK thing and how many fouls you can get using this move! ;)

I use it to piss my mates off when im winning

Lifting the ball pisses em off big time when im running down the wing and i chip it over the sliding tackle they make haha

I use the lift-ball quite often against human players. Best way it works for me is running down the wing with an opposing defender and once im close to the corner flag hold R2 so my player faces the penalty box and the defender in a 1 on 1. Use it there to lift it over the defenders head and if the wingers pacy enough will just run past him making him look like a complete idiot.
Never used the roulette too much though. just ver seems to work for me.

I do the Roulette everytime i get the chance to. Very effective move of getting away from someone and looks cool when you pull ot of.

roulette can be really helpful when attcking by the side with a winger or side midfielder, u going attacking by the right the defense is coming towards u, u make the roulette, going like the clock goes the defender will pass next to u and u will be clear either to center the bal or if u were close to goal to take a shot, i haven;t used the lift ball one

cant say i use either, when i do try the roulette is gets messed up half the time. Tend to use speed differences the most and, when it was still in the game, the r2 sidestep. Normally i will dribble with the d-pad and use the speedbutton to get past. However my playing style is based on passing and looking for runs so its mostly used on the wings

I use the ball lifting skill usually with C.Ronaldo, either on the edge of the box to help to set up a volley cross, or in the box to sucker the defender into fouling me and giving me a penalty.

Guys

i found the following useful:

360: remember the direction of the 360 is determined by which way you rotate the thumbstick. if you want to pass the defender on the left, then rotate it clockwise, or anti-clockwise to go in the other direction.
just take the defender's favoured foot into consideration when trying the 360. full speed 360s will not have a higher success rate than slower ones.

as for ball lifts, the faster you go, the lower the lift. if you are stationary, the ball is lifted high. if you are running, then you get a lower chip.
try out the followin in training:
scenario 1) with a defender standing in front of you, and whilst being stationary, do the lift and the ball will go straight over the defender - then run round him to collect it.

scenario 2) near the edge of the area run slowly and do the lift, then run onto the ball for a half volley at goal.
the only trouble is working the space to do that in a match - but that's what secret is for most skill moves.

enjoy.

The roulette comes in handy say when just when you latch onto the ball or running really fast and you might lose the ball, if you do the 360 the player gets control back I find. It is great doing it againts mates, the square + X, and then shoot a screamer!!!

As for lobbing the player, thats tough, I have only done it a few timesbut dont try it much, it doesnt come to mind much. Its great doing skills against mates, I hope Konami add more and make them difficult to do like flip-flap. Why hard? So it doesnt become like Fifa Steet/and normal FIFA as well LOL!

Back
Top Bottom