Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

I'm glad Brazil are out, I don't hate them, I just hate that mega-overrated piece of crap Neymar, and if they win, everyone will undeservedly credit this to him. Good riddance.
France, Belgium, England and Croatia, all of them deserve it.

If someone told me before the tournament England would beat someone 6-1, win a penalty shoot-out, beat Sweden comfortably, reach the Semi-Final and an England player would be top scorer, I would have had them locked away with a white jacket and padded walls. I could never have expected anything like this.

If someone told me before the tournament England would beat someone 6-1, win a penalty shoot-out, beat Sweden comfortably, reach the Semi-Final and an England player would be top scorer, I would have had them locked away with a white jacket and padded walls. I could never have expected anything like this.
i agree!!...oh that's some goal for Russia!!!

Here's a good drinking game; every time Ally McCoist says "it really is", have a swig. I think you'd be slaughtered by half time!

I'm already slaughtered and only have one working arm (broke my collarbone last week),but i accept!

France beat Argentina,
Argentina referee for France Uruguay
France beat Uruguay,
Uruguayan referee for France Belgium

:THINK:

France beat Argentina,
Argentina referee for France Uruguay
France beat Uruguay,
Uruguayan referee for France Belgium

:THINK:
Who needs a fair referee when you've got Mbappe? :D

No, to be serious, it's outrageous isn't it. You can argue all referees are going to be unbiased but I'm sorry, even if it's just subconsciously, you could potentially be affected. Everyone's human.

FIFA being FIFA.

I really hope it was a coincidence...
Coincidence or not, surely there should be a rule about it.

However, I guess FIFA's attitude would be that it would be some kind of written confirmation that a referee's integrity could be questionable.

@mattmid , @Chris Davies and @Gunslinger , and any other English evo forumers, has it really sunk in yet, a World Cup semi-final and no Germany, Argentina or Brazil in your way to break fifty million hearts ?

Even a sceptical Irish man can no longer use terms like hype, froth or giddy optimism.

Turns out this bloke was an anglo saxon nostradamus. :CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe......

It's the first time since 1930 that Brazil or Germany/West Germany aren't in the top three at the World Cup.
It's also the first time ever that Argentina, Brazil or Germany/West Germany aren't in the top three.

@WhoAteMeDinner Small matter of Croatia then France/Belgium to get past yet :D Chickens, counting etc etc :SHHH:

I'll wait until our defence is really tested before getting too confident. As poor as Sweden were on the day, which keeper made all the crucial saves?

But we seem to have a great team spirit and a confidence about us that isn't just ego and I imagine we'll never get a better chance than this, but I'm sure the other three teams are all thinking the same.

I imagine Jack Charlton would have loved this lot from set pieces :)

To be honest, I think England have been very fortunate this tournament. We had an easy group and the loss to the Belgium B team was a blessing for us. We would not have beaten Brazil and still haven't really played a top team yet. I think we're about to get a dose of reality if we make the final.

I think we're about to get a dose of reality if we make the final.
I think we're about to get one from Croatia! :D

They seem great at adapting tactically whereas England have played the same way from the start. Individually I think they're a stronger team, too - and if they mark Harry Kane out of the game and defend set pieces well, we've not got much left.

Have to admit though, I did have a look at World Cup final tickets JUST in-case. £500 for a single ticket, and that's not the best category seat - almost £1,000 for those, and this is without resorting to touts. If any magic does happen, I'll be watching it on the telly...

Tbh, I'm not actually surprised that they could make the final. The side of the draw has been unprecedented, it'll probably never happen again.

And Croatia after a decent group stage have looked very average.

Honestly, and not saying this as a Scotsman, for me practically the whole side of the France/Belgium side from the last 16 would have knocked anything out from the England/Croatia side for me.

FD

It was an incredibly lop sided last 16 wasn't it. If Belgium win it, they'll have more than deserved it by beating Brazil and France.

Ahhh here lads, what is going on ? All this sober and realistic analysis of England's chances, have you not been watching Sky Sports (Boobs) News ?

Croatia have played 2 120 minute games in a week..on Saturday they were dead on their feet..if we can get to half time up or level I think we will do them..not sure who i want in the final though..belgium concede goals but look strong upfront

It has been a very strange World Cup for an England fan..

There was no pre-tournament hype, not a great side compared to the last 20+ years and yet we are one game away from the FINAL, it is unreal.

I don't know how to feel about it, on one hand I am really excited because we are a 50/50 chance of getting to the World Cup final, but on the other we have not played a single team in the World Cup who are better than us or even as good as us. (Except Belgium, but disregarding this game as it was a B International we wanted to lose)

I do however genuinely think we will get to the Final (Columbia were the team I was worried about the most in our half of the draw), as we are probably a slightly better team than Croatia and they have been pretty poor in knockout games, and not the same team who destroyed their group.

If we do get to the final, then obviously we will then play a team who are better than us, and we will have to hope that the nerves get to them and we play out our skin and in football and VAR you never know what the they been smoking in the VAR room that night.

I should also say that IMO the World Cup Final is tonight - Whoever wins out of France and Belgium will go on to win the tournament and deservedly so.

@bsmaff , Good post but I would not be so hard on your national team. England can only beat what is in front of them and as far as their side of the draw being weak, that was just a combination of luck and poor form by teams like Argentina.

And as for the best teams winning the big tournaments, I can name three over the last two decades where that certainly did not happen: Brazil at USA '94, Denmark at Euro '92 and Greece at Euro '04.
The Brazil team were better with their studs and elbows than their flicks and tricks and Denmark did not even qualify for the euros and Greece were long ball merchants on steroids.

In short, England have a damn good chance as they play hyper defensive when not on the ball, they fall back to a bank of 5-5 formation. That would make Big Sam get some massive stick but it seems a waistcoat and nice accent will get you anywhere in England. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

@bsmaff I was just thinking along similar lines. I was thinking that if we go out to Croatia that while it will be great we got to the semi final I'll still feel we beat nobody that we shouldn't have and flattered to deceive. If however we beat Croatia and then beat either France or Belgium then that will be a brilliant achievement and we'll be worthy winners.
Either way it bodes well for the future with more young players coming up behind the current crop. I like Southgate but I do reserve judgement until I see him up against it and how he reacts. So far his substitutes seem to be the same every game.

@WhoAteMeDinner Denmark did have the Laudrup's though. But Greece, ugh, bored their way to the championship.

Back
Top Bottom