Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

To borrow a term once used to describe the role of the US Vice President, today's third place playoff is "not worth a bucket of warm spit". Another fluid was actually mentioned but hey, if it is good enough for Frank Rijkaard. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

your predictions for tonights match for 3rd place, lads n gents!?
i say... belgium is gonna make it. 3:1! sorry brits.

Depends on what teams are put out really. Either way I expect Belgium to win unless they opt for second string and we don't.

Good job the 2022 World cup is expected to be played between November & January, but still 25 degrees.

It really is ridiculous isn't it and just sums up FIFA. Move it to an entirely different time of year (and a different year in part!), interfering with just about every league season. So much for tradition and integrity.

Meh. Wasn't expecting anything anyway but England never looked like getting back into it. Fourth spot is a brilliant achievement though.

your predictions for tonights match for 3rd place, lads n gents!?
i say... belgium is gonna make it. 3:1! sorry brits.

FYI: It's the England football team, not the British football team. Britain includes Scotland and Wales. Players from those nations hardly ever go to the World Cup Finals and their fans certainly don't care about how well England does.

Last edited:
It really is ridiculous isn't it and just sums up FIFA. Move it to an entirely different time of year (and a different year in part!), interfering with just about every league season. So much for tradition and integrity.

@mattmid , I think that the final ends in mid-December 2022, but that is almost a new year alright. I can't believe the big continental leagues like Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga are wearing this as it will add six weeks at least to their mid-winter breaks that will in effect create two football seasons.

Corruption always leads to madness. FIFA are swine. :RANT::RANT::RANT:

I don't see anything related to corruption. It's just simple, any country in this planet has the right to host a world cup if it presents what it takes, Qatar has what it takes, FIFA won't say no to a country just because of the heat. Moving the tournament to November-December is a good solution. It's just an exception that happens once in a lifetime. Leagues seasons will just have a break in October and I'm sure they will handle it good.
International players will play at max 7 games during November and December, which is the same amount of games they would play with their clubs during the normal seasons. Other players who are not in the world cup will just relax or simply they can keep training and have friendly matches like what is happening right now. Nothing will affect anyone physically. The only thing that will happen is that leagues calendars will be readjusted. At max the season will end in mid June 2022.

I don't see anything related to corruption. It's just simple, any country in this planet has the right to host a world cup if it presents what it takes, Qatar has what it takes, FIFA won't say no to a country just because of the heat. Moving the tournament to November-December is a good solution. It's just an exception that happens once in a lifetime. Leagues seasons will just have a break in October and I'm sure they will handle it good.
International players will play at max 7 games during November and December, which is the same amount of games they would play with their clubs during the normal seasons. Other players who are not in the world cup will just relax or simply they can keep training and have friendly matches like what is happening right now. Nothing will affect anyone physically. The only thing that will happen is that leagues calendars will be readjusted. At max the season will end in mid June 2022.

You must have missed this, (BBC article link below), and if you are from the middle east, please try not to be blinkered by national or regional pride. I am Irish and if my tiny country won the rights to host a FIFA World Cup, I would strongly suspect Irish politicians to be involved in graft, kickbacks, bribes and corruption of all kinds.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40412928

And btw, similar allegations that are very serious and well founded were made against Russia 2018 and Germany 2006. FIFA officials could not refuse a brown envelope like a drunk can't refuse a bottle of scotch.

FYI: It's the England football team, not the British football team. Britain includes Scotland and Wales. Players from those nations hardly ever go to the World Cup Finals and their fans certainly don't care about how well England does.
Thx for the advise. Never too old to learn something! I’ll keep it in mind when posting.

Hoping for a good game today. Not surprised to see Croatia there, especially after they were going to meet England, how most people were painting them as underdogs in that match is beyond me. Does England have a midfield that matches the Croatian one? Does it bugger.

France are an absolute brick wall though, breaking it will be very tough. Also they seem to have hardly broken a sweat during this WC shime Croatia will be running on fumes at the end for sure.

Last edited:
Pen was 50/50 for me. Free kick absolute bullocks

Croatia with one of the best goals I have seen in a final

And that is exactly why it is 100% not a penalty.

A lot of goals, but a very average watch IMO.

France had 12 men today, and feel sorry for Croatia..

Overall though fantastic WC and certainly one of the best in my life time.

Bring on the next WC, before FIFA feck it up with an additional 16 teams who will be the level of Panama.

Yup, best World Cup ever my ass, would implore younger peeps to track down the official World Cup films of Mexico '86 or Spain '82 (I don't remember that one myself) and then judge this World Cup by comparison. Careca, Maradon, Zico, Rossi, Scifo, Josimar, Socrates. I could go on and on. :WORSHIP:

FIFA corporate hype in collusion with broadcasters who want to bump ratings up is all this is.
:R1:R1:R1

We're the CHAMPIONS ! :EASY:

Croatia dominated but France was more realistic :YES:
I don't like the way how we played, but back in old days, we were a team that played well and loss. So, only victory is beautiful

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom