Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

I suspect we are being softened up for VAR review time outs and commercial breaks, the VAR faffing in the final took a nice and juicy four minutes, which television ad men will have looked with wide eyes at.

We discussed how the old European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup were all either altered or scrapped to allow a half-assed league and knock-out hybrid to be introduced in two competitions that go on forever, stuffed with meaningless games and all done at the demand of crooks and scoundrels like Silvio Berlusconi and Bernard Tapie.

:RANT::RANT::RANT:

intentional or not and i'm sure it's intentional, Perisic hand prevents the ball continues its race in front of the Croatian goal, so it's 100% penalty without doubt.

eventhough I'm Croatian, I don't think at all it was intentional, the ball was going too fast and if Matuidi hadn't missed the ball with his head it would never reach Perisic's hand...

you need to see it in full speed, the ball had a trajectory of about a meter from Matuidi's head and the hands were going down in a natural way as they do when you use your hands as means to gain momentum for a jump and then pulling them down to counter it(I do it all the time for a header as do the players I play with/against)

it was just too close and too fast for him to intentionally try to stop it, plus if he didn't touch it, the ball would hit our defender that was right behind him

anyway, grats to France, even though I don't think that was football that you played, but you played what you had to get that gold

Yes this is one of the major problems with VAR the slow motion. Football is not played in slow motion and everything looks way worse in slow motion. I don't think most people realize that. They don't really understand how slower things actually are in those replays.

And the second problem is that they only used VAR to benefit the attacking team if we are honest. When it was clear that it was a dive the guy should get a yellow, is not that hard. Happened to Neymar a couple of times.

Yes this is one of the major problems with VAR the slow motion. Football is not played in slow motion and everything looks way worse in slow motion. I don't think most people realize that. They don't really understand how slower things actually are in those replays.

And the second problem is that they only used VAR to benefit the attacking team if we are honest. When it was clear that it was a dive the guy should get a yellow, is not that hard. Happened to Neymar a couple of times.
Yes the first goal wasn't a foul but VAR can't be used for a single foul.Only for serious cases like penalties or red cards.
Otherwise we would have everyone shouting to ref to review every single foul and the match would last 3 hours.
That's not possible.Anyway VAR had a 99% correct decisions from a statistic that i saw so it definetely helps.

eventhough I'm Croatian, I don't think at all it was intentional, the ball was going too fast and if Matuidi hadn't missed the ball with his head it would never reach Perisic's hand...

you need to see it in full speed, the ball had a trajectory of about a meter from Matuidi's head and the hands were going down in a natural way as they do when you use your hands as means to gain momentum for a jump and then pulling them down to counter it(I do it all the time for a header as do the players I play with/against)

it was just too close and too fast for him to intentionally try to stop it, plus if he didn't touch it, the ball would hit our defender that was right behind him

anyway, grats to France, even though I don't think that was football that you played, but you played what you had to get that gold
Sorry, I made a mistake, I mean "I'm sure it's not intentional".
Thank you drwatz, you have a fantastic team, we score 4 goals but we (France) never really play a good football during this final.

Yes the first goal wasn't a foul but VAR can't be used for a single foul.Only for serious cases like penalties or red cards.
Otherwise we would have everyone shouting to ref to review every single foul and the match would last 3 hours.
That's not possible.Anyway VAR had a 99% correct decisions from a statistic that i saw so it definetely helps.

I get this, and that was not what I was talking about at all.

What I was talking about were actual VAR reviews that were clear dives, and I don't remember the diver being punished in those situations, that's what I meant about only benefiting the attackers.

But since you are going on that line about what should be reviewed and what should not. I think cards totally could be given by the VAR crew at any point of the game, its really simple once the ball stopped they call the main ref and call out the offender.

I agree with you about reviewing every foul, its impossible. But you can totally give cards on VAR reviews without stopping the game, just give the authority of punishment to the VAR crew.

Discipline, or lack of to say it better, was the problem that was highlighted by the VAR in my opinion. Players were way to comfortable bitching for reviews, diving, trying to take advantage of whatever, because nobody was getting cards for that type behavior, it was a really strange vibe on most games.

I get this, and that was not what I was talking about at all.

What I was talking about were actual VAR reviews that were clear dives, and I don't remember the diver being punished in those situations, that's what I meant about only benefiting the attackers.

But since you are going on that line about what should be reviewed and what should not. I think cards totally could be given by the VAR crew at any point of the game, its really simple once the ball stopped they call the main ref and call out the offender.

I agree with you about reviewing every foul, its impossible. But you can totally give cards on VAR reviews without stopping the game, just give the authority of punishment to the VAR crew.

Discipline, or lack of to say it better, was the problem that was highlighted by the VAR in my opinion. Players were way to comfortable bitching for reviews, diving, trying to take advantage of whatever, because nobody was getting cards for that type behavior, it was a really strange vibe on most games.
The thing is they don't wanna pass it like VAR is the absolute master of the game and the main ref is just an assistant and i agree with that.The main ref must be the chief and VAR must be just a luxury help when the ref isn't sure about some serious decision.That's why it's only used in special occasions.

If they started to use it for every single yellow card for a foul in the middle of the pitch etc it would look like the main ref is just a puppet who can't decide nothing for himself and not to mention how many time all these reviews would take.The VAR team also watches the game live and have to see numerous replays first and then communicate it to the ref.So for example if a foul was given without a yellow,and then the play continues and after 2-3 minutes the VAR team decides it was also a yellow,the ref would have to give a yellow for something that happened before 3 minutes.And he would have to go watch it at the screen also because he's supposed to be the chief of the game and the one who takes the final call,otherwise if he just agrees with them without reviewing it himself he would just seem like a puppet.It just wouldn't work like that and would seem ridiculous.That's why i'm saying that this whole thing is more complicated than it looks.They just have to leave it as it is for now because at least in some crucial decisions it can really help.

About the players complainings etc we always had that,like when they ask from the ref to show a yellow for a foul for example.I agree that when they go very loud to the ref and seriously question his authority they should see a yellow,but not for every little shout or something.Yellows are not candy to be given so easily.We must understand that they have 200 heart rate pulse from the tension of the game and can't behave totally normal at that exact moment and i understand that.They're not robots.Like for example if you see your opponent make a handball,you'll go mental in a split sec and will start shouting and raise your hands and ask it from the ref,anybody would do that.It's just normal competitive reaction in a competitive game that you want to win.
For diving or other cheating shit though yeah it should be a yellow without a second thought.

Last edited:
That sounds like hierarchy bs to me, the refs are supposed to work together, the var guys are just another part of the crew, if the main referee is the leader he simply can't trust nobody? He gotta beat the hammer himself cause he is the lord main ref?

Other sports have multiple refs and there is usually no problem.

Also about the players being pissed, I will again mention other sports, have you ever seen rugby? Their players are insanely respectful to the refs and to the other players. You don't think their game is tense? Are they robots?

That's just my opinion tho, I've always been like that, I don't buy tradition as an excuse to bad behavior and I'm open minded about changes.

And at no point I wrote about what specific reaction should be worthy of a yellow, the lord main ref should obviously have good sense, you can get pissed and raise your arms, but be respectful ffs. I've seen players screaming at the refs face, some guys bumping their chest into the ref, I mean come on man.

You must have missed this, (BBC article link below), and if you are from the middle east, please try not to be blinkered by national or regional pride. I am Irish and if my tiny country won the rights to host a FIFA World Cup, I would strongly suspect Irish politicians to be involved in graft, kickbacks, bribes and corruption of all kinds.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40412928

And btw, similar allegations that are very serious and well founded were made against Russia 2018 and Germany 2006. FIFA officials could not refuse a brown envelope like a drunk can't refuse a bottle of scotch.

Back
Top Bottom