Sacking Fergie?!

V

vxnova

I was watching Sky sports news over here in the US and they were talking about a possible replacment for Sir Alex Fergueson and they interviewed people who actually said that he should be sacked!!! Can you believe that?! Just cause he was knocked out of the CL they are thinking he should be sacked.I thought it was ridiculous talk but I wanted to get your opinion.

Thats idiotic, Milan are a good team, and arent a bad team, fegui is a great coach but at times isnt the best.

Man Utd should have sacked him years ago...they are underachievers in Europe.

I agree Gerd, posting as Stan.
Although Milan have a better team than Man utd, man utd were comprehensively beaten on a tactical level as well.
Also last year, when man utd were going through a nightmare season (for their standards), Ferguson did not help at all by regularly changing formations and changing players which in turn unsetteld players. He is doing the same to his keepers, granted neither Carrol or Howard are anything great, but Ferguson isn't helping the situation by regularly swapping them around.

Fergie may not currently be the best manager in the world but his accomplishments for Man U are outstanding to say the least.Man U are the richest sports franchise in the world because of Fergie.He is possibly the best and most accomplished manager in modern football even if he has only won the CL once.Remember that he has won the EPL for Man U more than 10 times in the last 15 years which is no easy feat for any manager.I dont think he will ever be sacked but the english press always seem to be picking on someone and this time its just ridiculous what they are suggesting.

jamie_mack said:
which press does it say this?
Sky sports news.They were interviewing people and talking about how it was time for a new manager at Man U.Who do they think can replace Fergie?I doubt they can find any new manager as experienced or good as fergie.

vxnova said:
Sky sports news.They were interviewing people and talking about how it was time for a new manager at Man U.Who do they think can replace Fergie?I doubt they can find any new manager as experienced or good as fergie.

I saw that on Sports News yesterday as well. Doesnt his contract run out in a year or so? Seems a bit premature speculating on it now.

Wonder what odds you`d get on Keegan ;)

Some of my freinds were talking about this but i think he should stay as he has done alot better near to the end of the season. He lost against milan but they are basically one of the top 5 teams in europe.

Stan said:
Man Utd should have sacked him years ago...they are underachievers in Europe.

Those years ago when we won League title after League title? :roll:
Underachievers? This is the case for so many other European clubs with the talent on paper to win it. The problem is my generation of United fans have been spoilt by success and expect too much. Ferguson is the reason United are the force they are today, sacking him should never really be mentioned just because we got knocked out of the European Cup by a great side. Football fans are so fickle.

Fergie is a legend, aswell as a legendary wanker. Nobody can replace him.

Fergie should just retire and save himself the embarrasment of getting the sack.

smango said:
Fergie should just retire and save himself the embarrasment of getting the sack.
I highly doubt he will ever get sacked unless he completely messes up one season and Man U get into relegation trouble which is highly unlikely.Plus doesnt he own part of the club and has a huge say in anything that goes on.I think he would be the decider of his own fate more than anyone else.

hutch said:
Those years ago when we won League title after League title? :roll:
Underachievers? This is the case for so many other European clubs with the talent on paper to win it. The problem is my generation of United fans have been spoilt by success and expect too much. Ferguson is the reason United are the force they are today, sacking him should never really be mentioned just because we got knocked out of the European Cup by a great side. Football fans are so fickle.

I don't agree with you. Man Utd is the richest club in the world (and that was because of Richard Kenyon and not Ferguson) i think it's only logical that he should win league after league. Don't forget that the way the television money is divided in the Premiership and in Europe advantages the big clubs, if you think about that it's fairly logic that they win league after league and in Europe their underachievement becomes even more blatant.
Quite a few Man Utd fans on this forum criticised Chelsea last year for under-achieving despite the Abramovich money. Man Utd is still the richer club and Chelsea is doing better currently.
I've been a Man Utd fan for about 30 years and i still love the club (although i'm not a fan anymore). Man Utd has something magically: the 1958 airplane crash with the Busby babes, the resurrection with the second generation of Busby babes (Best, Charlton, Law, Stiles), the relegation in the 70's and then anbother resurrection with a great new generation (Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, The Neville Brothers). Kenyon has been very clever and has exploited the global appeal Man Utd always had. He's Man Utd true genius and not Ferguson. I can give at least 50 coaches who would have done as good as him...

gerd said:
I don't agree with you. Man Utd is the richest club in the world (and that was because of Richard Kenyon and not Ferguson) i think it's only logical that he should win league after league. Don't forget that the way the television money is divided in the Premiership and in Europe advantages the big clubs, if you think about that it's fairly logic that they win league after league and in Europe their underachievement becomes even more blatant.
Quite a few Man Utd fans on this forum criticised Chelsea last year for under-achieving despite the Abramovich money. Man Utd is still the richer club and Chelsea is doing better currently.
I've been a Man Utd fan for about 30 years and i still love the club (although i'm not a fan anymore). Man Utd has something magically: the 1958 airplane crash with the Busby babes, the resurrection with the second generation of Busby babes (Best, Charlton, Law, Stiles), the relegation in the 70's and then anbother resurrection with a great new generation (Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, The Neville Brothers). Kenyon has been very clever and has exploited the global appeal Man Utd always had. He's Man Utd true genius and not Ferguson. I can give at least 50 coaches who would have done as good as him...
Im sure Newcastle,Liverpool or Tottenham had very rich owners back in their prime but they were not winning league after league like Man Utd has done and they were also underachievers is Europe.English teams have never fared very well in Europe.I think it has more to do with English teams rather than their manager.I am highly doubtfull Chelsea will win the CL this year but if they do it will be because of their recent big money signings and a great coach.Who was the last English team to win the CL prior to Man Utd in 1999?

Has anyone ever read his book, im reading it at the moment. Im sure he will never be sacked, when he wants it to come to an end it will come to an end.

vxnova said:
I highly doubt he will ever get sacked unless he completely messes up one season and Man U get into relegation trouble which is highly unlikely.Plus doesnt he own part of the club and has a huge say in anything that goes on.I think he would be the decider of his own fate more than anyone else.

I'll tell you how he will get the sack. When that American Tycoon Glazier or whatever his name is acquires the club, and that will be sooner rather than later.

The Yank has grand plans for the club like relocating them to Texas and I can't see Fergie being part of the Yanks masterplan. Alot of things will change at United with him in charge.

I'm not quite sure if Newcastle, Liverpool or Tottenham had rich owners, but you could be right. The thing is Manchester United is rich (they don't have a rich owner, the club itself is rich...).
About English clubs and Europe: you're right. The reason is quite simple: first there was a lack a European experience beacause after Heysel English clubs were banned and a whole generation of players were lost, afterwards Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish players were considered foreign players wich was a big disadvantage for teams like Man Utd and now...i don't know.
I think Chelsea have a good chance of winning the CL, but you forget one thing: Man Utd still is the richer club. You can say whatever you want: Man Utd are underachievers in Europe.
The fact that they are the most succesfull English club of the last 15 years is due to Kenyon, a good youth system (and a very talented generation where luck is always a litle bit involved, but granted you have to spot them and they did) and also Ferguson. But i don't see why coaches like Robson, Clough, Dalglish, Martin O' Neill, Souness, Venables,...should have done worse than him.
Man Utd was the team with Cantona, Schmeichel, Keane, Giggs ans Scholes. They are either big personalities or very disciplined (or both), players like that don't need coaching. Even i could have won thing with them (well that's maybe a litle bit exaggerated...)

Last edited:
Yeah but Fergie realised their potential and brought them into the club its not like they were already at manchester.

gerd said:
Even i could have won thing with them (well that's maybe a litle bit exaggerated...)

You can't even wipe your own ass never mind run a football club. :)

Gerd is right any muppet could have been at the helm and ensured that Man Yo atleast won some piece of silverware.

Fergs is a complete and utter muppet, his formations against Milan showed this. The man has no idea and has been lucky to have had the amount of success has, the reason he has won so much is because of the lack of quality managers in the premier league, until the appointment of Jose at Chelski, no one had the brains too match the stupidity of ferguson.

Alucard said:
Yeah but Fergie realised their potential and brought them into the club its not like they were already at manchester.

I think Gerd already pointed out that that was due to the work of Peter Kenyon

Fergie should have retired when he had the chance to, he's very close to sell by date, his era is over you can see that the struggle to replace the likes of Giigs, Keane, Scholes etc is a sign of that it's somebodies elses time now.

LOL, what a load of rubbish. fergie is a genius, if it was so easy for them to win the league, how comes they hadnt done it for over 25 years before Fergie took them to that first Prem title? If it was so straight forward how comes many a good manager crumbled when given all that money?

If it was so simple how comes Fergie is now their more successful manager in history, i believe he's even won more silverware than Sir Matt Busby. Yeah money helps, but as Ranieri showed last season it doesnt always gaurantee you the league title, you still need to be an astute manager, a motivator, and good tactician.

I think every fan in the country would have been happy to have Fergie at their club in the last 15 years and had him deliver what he has for Man Yoo to them. United fans are spoilt and think that because they have money, it automatically delivers prizes. History tells us, this isnt always true!

Don't agree with you...Fergie was extremely lucky that in the period that he became manager the Premiership was founded and the TV-money went SKYward...I've already spoken of Kenyon's role.
Oh and what a genius Mourinho will be if he wins the tiltle for the first time in 50 years...

No matter what you may say, Man Utd are underachievers in Europe and are extremy lucky that they had only one serious challenger uptill this season. Another 15 Abramoviches and nobody talks about Man Utd anymore...

Last edited:
Stan said:
Don't agree with you...Fergie was extremely lucky that in the period that he became manager the Premiership was founded and the TV-money went SKYward...I've already spoken of Kenyon's role.
Oh and what a genius Mourinho will be if he wins the tiltle for the first time in 50 years...

No matter what you may say, Man Utd are underachievers in Europe and are extremy lucky that they had only one serious challenger uptill this season. Another 15 Abramoviches and nobody talks about Man Utd anymore...

Another 15 Abramovich's and nobody talks about 14 of the Abramovich's and Man Utd anymore. Only one team can win the league for god's sake. I wouldn't mind if we'd been absolutely dreadful this year, but for the last few months we've been playing in championship winning form and we've only lost 2 games. We could finish the season with more points than some of our title winning sides. Of course, the sides challenging us in the previous seasons have been weak, but it's still there to be seen.
I don't agree with your Kenyon argument. Kenyon wouldn't have been able to sell United if we didn't have success on the pitch. Would Peter Kenyon be able to build a similar sort of foreign following for say West Brom?
Ferguson turned United back into a top team, which brought in more cash and allowed Kenyon to step in. Just look at the team we won the league with in '92, astronomical amounts of money weren't spent on it. We were in the bottom 4 of the old Divison 1 when Ferguson took over. To disregard what he's done for the Club is just stupid. He can't win the European Cup every year, that's just football. It doesn't always work as who's got the best side on paper, otherwise it'd take the fun out of the game.

Metallica said:
Speaking of sacking I am just wondering how many new managers have Real Madrid have had recently ?

Ever since Del Bosque left, which was a HUGE mistake, theyve had like 7 managers. He won the Champs League twice, la liga twice, yet they thought winning the league and not the CL one season wasnt enough so sacked him.

ps - Hutch should coach United.

Back
Top Bottom