Scoring from Crossing

PetrovLFC

Raul!
13 March 2005
NW London
Liverpool
Right. PES5 is really starting to drive me up the wall. I couldn't remember it being a problem at the start, but thats always been the case with every new PES5. My main and favoured method of scoring is through crosses. Old fashioned wing back overlapping and playing balls into the channels etc. I can get into the positions to cross, but every god damn cross either goes to far, not far enough, or straight onto the head or boot of a defender, or even the goalkeepes hands. No matter who it is crossing. I have no luck with Beckham.

When it does reach a striker, even a player whos good in the air, like kluivert or morientes, they usually miss or sky it over the bar.

I use Long pass type 4, so you've gotta hold L1, but can cross from anywhere. I've read about it being recommended by other users on here, and the piggyback guide.

Any tips? Change back to type 1, any strategies, arrows etc? Edit the position of the strikers?

Infact I'm finding it hard to score from all areas of the pitch. Long distance shots are no problem, but thats boring, and unrealistic. Everything in the final third is so rushed and scripted. Defenders like Cygan magically catch up with player like lua lua and tackle them, whilst also managing to win a goal kick for themselves:lmao:

Seriously considering going back to PES4.

Don't recall ever scoring from a cross in PES5. It's extremely rare unless it's a bullet header or a volley.

??? i score quite oftenly from crosses, im playing on 6 stars.. u have to use R2 to position ur player in front of the defender

I like to pley with my wingers and their crosses are never accurate anough or my players miss-jump it. I usually pass into the box rather than cross now because to score from a cross you need perfect timing and a player who is superb in the air.

try to manually control your player to header the ball with R2, a little practice and you will be scoring...

Anyone who plays PES is aware of the fact you need to position your player, that isn't the problem. Crossing just isn't effective anymore.

I always position my players, they just get bodychecked by small defenders. I'm like shouting at them, go round them for gods sake.

its really hard yes. You must really use Super Cancel to position your player. Because the cpu wont position your players to the right position.
Even if you use super cancel its still hard, because most of the time your players wont head the ball. Its scripted!

I think its the worst part of the game.

I always play with two very wide wingers and catch teams on the break, but in this version I have almost given up on crossing the ball.

This isn't realistic as a large part of football is scoring from crosses and its been practically removed from the game. I win nearly all the games I play in the master league, yet I am lucky of I get 1 headed goal from a cross per season

I like the triple tap cross, where the ball is sent on the ground really fast. I score of a first time shot from a cross like this maybe once every third or fourth game on ML.

Yep thats probably the most effective. I think in PES4 it was too easy to score headers so they obviously tried to counter it, but went too far.

I'm sorry but the game loosing credibility if the only methods of scoring go down the center every bloody game

It is quite hard to score from headers, I have managed to score 1. I'm so proud of it :P

I don't know what the problem is here guys I have the pro5 demo and I score a lot of headers, I play on 3 or 4* most of the time but don't see a problem. You do have to position your player well and it helps if you can get some space from the defender. Also its easier if your player is running towards goal and can really run into the cross. The bigger problem I think is the defending of corners where it is really scripted and hard to get your defender infront of striker. I use manual switching of players and it helps considerably but still.

well the demo was a fantastic game of football. The retail is a completley different game. I could score from all areas of the pitch in the demo. It was still difficult, but the ratios were realistic, and the AI was decent too

Am I correct in saying that the PES5 demo was made specifically for the PC? If it was then that is the answer. The full game is a direct port from the woefully outdated PS2. My PC from 2001 was better than the Ps2.

Anyways, Konami's laziness means everyone has to play the PS2 version despite being capable of so much more.

i have no idea, but it came out before the PS2 demo. But I think thats because certain stores had the demo exclusively. Whilst the PC demo was leaked out I think.

BK_83 said:
??? i score quite oftenly from crosses, im playing on 6 stars.. u have to use R2 to position ur player in front of the defender
This is very important here. I've managed to score a ton of extra goals ever since I started using this.
Plus how and where and what direction you're facing has a huge effect on it too.

RuneEdge said:
This is very important here. I've managed to score a ton of extra goals ever since I started using this.
Plus how and where and what direction you're facing has a huge effect on it too.

I have started hitting R2 as soon as you cross the ball and have scored two headers today and have only played about 5 games.

This is a big difference to the one header every 2 seasons I had been getting

best to do Super-cancel (R2+L2) to move your player around etc, get good volleys like that

Chimps-with-quiffs said:
I have started hitting R2 as soon as you cross the ball and have scored two headers today and have only played about 5 games.

This is a big difference to the one header every 2 seasons I had been getting
:lmao: Do you even know what R2 does? It doesnt even effect the cross. It just lets you control the movement of the player manually exactly like Super Cancelling.
I was just saying that if you move players into the right position, you can get many goals from crosses.

i've changed the button config so every cross is manual , this way you can send the ball to the centre everytime, i've scored twice as many crosses since then, thats still not alot though

RuneEdge said:
:lmao: Do you even know what R2 does? It doesnt even effect the cross. It just lets you control the movement of the player manually exactly like Super Cancelling.
I was just saying that if you move players into the right position, you can get many goals from crosses.

Yes, I did know that, I just thought it was so obvious I wouldnt mention it.

If you think thats funny, you must regularly have to change your pants at normal everyday occurances

Well I've switched back to Type 1 and after a few games getting used to it, I'm getting much more success. And then you've still got the option for a manual early cross.

Scored 3 headers in one game on the way to a good home win in the cup: Sociedad ML. No prizes for guessing who got the goals ;)

And most of the crosses are far more dangerous, also finding it easier to direct the player towards the ball. Why O why did i change?

I think the problem is with the L1-O on type 4 is that you have to be precise with the directional pad. I just couldn't do that whilst trying to find space, and holding L1 and then actually get the cross past the defender ;)

Last edited:
when the ball is being crossed(ball in the air) ur control immediately switches to ur striker, at this instance hold R2 to position ur player manually, and release R2 to allow the player to head the ball

I score plenty of headers. Much like in real life you need to get your cross in quickly and attack the ball with supercancel.If you let the defense set themselves, 49 times out of 50 they will deal with it.

I have scored many goals from crossing too. All you have to do is position your player with R2 and pick the direction of the header with D-pad. Sure, you don't score all the time but you can score many goals if you try!

you must aim your cross with d-pad; for exampe: if you`re attacking fron left to right and your player is behind the defender you must press left after cross; or if he is in front and lower than defender you must press both right and down... i think the problem scoring from crossing is that you have much more options of aiming the striker that your brain and hands can handle..

Back
Top Bottom