Serie A - It's a bit crap, really

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

ninjabreakz

I watched a top Serie 'A' fixture earlier and it made me think. Italian football is a bit crap.

Anyone read James Richardson's Italian football guide that came with Four-Four-Two a few months ago? It basically summed up Italian football:

Full of cheaters, low crowd attendances, cheating referees, insane club Presidents, cheating managers, illegal transfers - and the list goes on.

Italian football doesn't grip me like it used to when I was 14 years old (I LOVED Inter). The game over there seems to be lacking something. The players still dive and roll around for 5 minutes, and all the big European players are over here or in La Liga now.

So, God Bless the English Premiership, and for those of you who moan about it - follow Serie A for a few matches - you'll soon miss the entertainment here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, arguably the Italian giants have been more successful than English teams in the last 20 years apart from last season's CL final.

Can you also tell me about the illegal transfers...especially since thers this Obi Mikel case in the EPL? And Chelsea tapping up Ashley Cole etc?
What about all the rich presidents throwing money around... ie the Glazers, Roman and Mandaric? Italy has their top 3 guys too, so I think it would be fair to look at the EPL as well. Your top 3 race is the same as our top 3 race every year. ACtually no, you've got Chelsea up there for years to come.

You cant really blame the low attendences on people since people like Sky fly into Italy with super low prices, especially in a recession where people arent spending money like they did in the early 90's.

The Italian league does consist of diving, but so does Spain (Especially spain) and portugal.
If you want cheating referees, ask the Bundesliga about that.

What was the top fixture?

edit - cheating? http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=356040&cc=5739

Last edited:
Milanista said:
Well, arguably the Italian giants have been more successful than English teams in the last 20 years apart from last season's CL final.

What was the top fixture?

It was Juventus V Empoli (when I said top, I meant 'top team'). It wasn't a bad match, 3 goals in all (2-1) but it started me thinking about Serie A and how much it is in decline.

Milanista said:

:-k Don't understand, mate?

I was just pointing out something that seems apparant in the football world today - The English Premiership is the most entertaining in the world. Full stadiums, amazing atmosphere, better pitches, bigger name players, faster paced.
When I was in Mexico in April, they didn't give a crap about Serie A, all the locals wanted Premiership! There were some passionate Arsenal, Liverpool, United and Tottenham supporters over there!

I think its down to opinion. Strange that Milan and Inter were ranked more popular than Real Madrid and Man Utd in China... hence Inter needing to change their sponsor to something Chinese for a month.

Last I was in Japan, Domenico Morfeo's shirt was selling! The lure of Brazilians and Argentinians is also a sign of how South Americans are willing to head to more latin countries to play rather than the cold north.

Last edited:
I think saying Serie A being in decline is a bit drastic.

I think the entertainment doesnt compete with the likes of the EPL, but technically its miles ahead.

I expect Italian teams to Dominate the CL once again.

ninjabreakz said:
I watched a top Serie 'A' fixture earlier and it made me think. Italian football is a bit crap.

Anyone read James Richardson's Italian football guide that came with Four-Four-Two a few months ago? It basically summed up Italian football:

Full of cheaters, low crowd attendances, cheating referees, insane club Presidents, cheating managers, illegal transfers - and the list goes on.

These are problems the league is having yes, but does it constitute a crap league? I think not.

Cheating referees, that is rich. Yes their have been accusations of bribed refs, but the referees in Italy are among the best in Europe.A country where refs can be idols, contrary to those of the Premier League. The referees in Italy are respected like nowhere else. The premier league on the contrary, where these refs make such random decisions and ignore 60% of the fouls.Due to this latter thing, the English have trouble adjusting to the referees in the CL or Uefa cup, because the rest of europe does play with normal rules.

Insane presidents? Maybe the influences of Berlusconi etc. are too large, but would you call takeovers from the Glazers and Abramovic's , who inflate the transfer market insanely, different?

Illegal transfers? I can come up with Mexes. Which was really the players own fault. Not the league's fault or anything.
Cheating managers?

ninjabreakz said:
Italian football doesn't grip me like it used to when I was 14 years old (I LOVED Inter). The game over there seems to be lacking something. The players still dive and roll around for 5 minutes, and all the big European players are over here or in La Liga now.

A Cristiano Ronaldo fan, speaking of diving. That's rich. Also very naieve to think that the diving is a pure Serie A thing.Diving is something that is done internationally. (sad it may be)

All the big European players in England or Spain? How come then that before Ronaldinho the golden ball was won 3-times in a row by a Serie A player?

ninjabreakz said:
So, God Bless the English Premiership, and for those of you who moan about it - follow Serie A for a few matches - you'll soon miss the entertainment here.

It was Juventus V Empoli (when I said top, I meant 'top team'). It wasn't a bad match, 3 goals in all (2-1) but it started me thinking about Serie A and how much it is in decline.

While I agree that Serie A is in a decline, your statement is very contradictive. Serie A is in decline, while at the same time in the only match you see the top team in Italy suffers against Empoli.

Last edited:
Whoa Don! Just explaining the Italian football review I read (which was written by an Italian football FAN!).

The EPL is not as technical, I agree. I would still rather watch an EPL relegation battle-fixture than a Serie A one.

I think in 5 years time the EPL will be difficult for Serie A to compete with. Even the players at AC Milan and Juventus must be looking over their shoulders now and thinking how much more they could earn at Chelsea.

Its obvious in an English based forum that people would prefer the EPL. Ask the same question on an Italian board.

Your last statement however doesnt explain why people like Crespo want to return. Shevchenko and Kaka both rejected moves to Chelsea, and what makes you think Milan cant match such high wages, especially since the president is the Prime Minister of Italy?

Juve's president is Fiat, Zambrotta and Ibrahimovic similarly rejected moves to Chelsea.

It seems latin based players (brazil, argentina etc) all want moves to Spain or Italy. Thats part of the reason why Kaka snubbed Chelsea before joining Milan.

Last edited:
I sort of agree...but not 100%

I think theres quality players that can obviously play in any league, but various players suit different types of footy. Veron anyone?

You got Viera whos one of the best centre midfielders in the world (along with Gerrard...and fletcher...JOKE!) signing for Juve, aswell as Crespo forever wanting to back there too.

On the flip side you have constant praise from people like Gattuso, Emre and Mutu about how much better the EPL is.

I dunno, I prefer the technical side more so I appreciate Serie A more.

Adonis said:

I think theres quality players that can obviously play in any league, but various players suit different types of footy. Veron anyone?

You got Viera whos one of the best centre midfielders in the world (along with Gerrard...and fletcher...JOKE!) signing for Juve, aswell as Crespo forever wanting to back there too.

On the flip side you have constant praise from people like Gattuso, Emre and Mutu about how much better the EPL is.

I dunno, I prefer the technical side more so I appreciate Serie A more.

Most fans worldwide couldn't name 20 Serie A players from the top of their head.

Now try and think of 20 EPL players? It's easy. The F.A. have marketed their league and teams VERY shrewdly. My point was that Serie A is IN DECLINE. It is. Fact.

ninjabreakz said:
Whoa Don! Just explaining the Italian football review I read (which was written by an Italian football FAN!).

Then my comments are towards that journalist. I agree that Serie A is in a bad state, as i've also written in the official 'Serie A thread'. Though to say it's crap or worse than the EPL, goes to far for my taste.

ninjabreakz said:
The EPL is not as technical, I agree. I would still rather watch an EPL relegation battle-fixture than a Serie A one.

Can't agree with the latter statement. Especially as last season's Serie A consisted of 14 +- relegations battlers on the matchday before the last.

ninjabreakz said:
I think in 5 years time the EPL will be difficult for Serie A to compete with. Even the players at AC Milan and Juventus must be looking over their shoulders now and thinking how much more they could earn at Chelsea.

Really think so? Then how come, for example, Chelsea's william Gallas wants to leave Chelsea, because Juventus would give him a higher salary? Or another example; how come Vieira left the EPL for Juventus?
Wouldn't Chelsea's salaries mainly destroy your own league? With players going to Chelsea rather than to Manchester, Arsenal or Liverpool.

cool, if you point was thats its in decline then I agree.

But I dont agree with your thread title. I guess thats what my post was aimed at.

Adonis said:

Actually Mutu has recently stated that Serie A is much better. Emre obviously is bitter about how he left Italy. Though then again, Mutu could simply be bitter about England too. These players comments should be taken with a pinch of salt then, no?

Don Domenico said:
Then my comments are towards that journalist. I agree that Serie A is in a bad state, as i've also written in the official 'Serie A thread'. Though to say it's crap or worse than the EPL, goes to far for my taste.

Can't agree with the latter statement. Especially as last season's Serie A consisted of 14 +- relegations battlers on the matchday before the last.

Really think so? Then how come, for example, Chelsea's william Gallas wants to leave Chelsea, because Juventus would give him a higher salary? Or another example; how come Vieira left the EPL for Juventus?
Wouldn't Chelsea's salaries mainly destroy your own league? With players going to Chelsea rather than to Manchester, Arsenal or Liverpool.

I know it's all hard for you to grasp (being a Serie A fan). I used to ADORE Italian football.

Now I think it's crap, and will be even worse in 5 years.

ninjabreakz said:
Most fans worldwide couldn't name 20 Serie A players from the top of their head.

Thats what you think, ask a foreigner about 20 EPL players. My 12 years living in Hong Kong and 4 years in Canada have proven that was difficult. Theres the usual Ronaldo, Lampard, Van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Scholes, Henry, Pires...... against the Figo, Shevchenko, Del Piero, Kaka, Dida, Seedorf, Adriano, Nesta etc

Hell, in Canada they showed more Serie A than the EPL... you only got 2-5 matches a week and all Serie A games almost.

ninjabreakz said:
I know it's all hard for you to grasp (being a Serie A fan). I used to ADORE Italian football.
Now I think it's crap, and will be even worse in 5 years.

And vice versa to you, being such a huge fan of Epl. Clouding your judgement, thinking it's so much better than the Serie A.

Its a similar case with England, the national team. Since 1966 they always think theyre second favourites, but disappoint. Sure, Italy has been poor in the last 2 tournaments, but in 2000 we were finalists, and have won much more than England has. Winning the CL last year with a Spanish coach just shows the failure of English talent to succed in Europe. Mourinho is a similar example soon.

Don Domenico said:
And vice versa to you, being such a huge fan of Epl. Clouding your judgement, thinking it's so much better than the Serie A.

Can you read? I was a HUGE Serie A fan back in the 90's, preferring Serie A to the EPL. I am now very happy to have the best league in my country.

Serie A is in DECLINE.

Fact.

Milanista said:
So is the EPL. Chelsea- dominance. Fact. I can say what you say.

Juventus - dominance. Fact. zzzz.

I cannot argue with Serie A fanboys, though.

I will wait for real football fanatics.

No disrespect intented to other leagues, but I class 'Crap' leagues with the low key countries. We're talking French, Portugese, Dutch etc. Apart from teams like Benfica Lyon PSV etc those leagues dont compare.

I personally think for it to be crap no real quality would exist in the league. Now to say theres no quality in AC Milan, Juve and Inter is a joke. also I would call a league crap if there was no real challenge for a title. so does that mean if Chelsea are walking away with the title the Premiership is crap? No way, EPL is awesome.

So overall: Its just an opinion that you're entitled to have.

If someone from outside the UK tuned in and watched...say... Arsenal vs Man Utd at hibury (0-0 wasnt it? Dunno, fell asleep ;) )they would think the EPL was 'Crap'.

That fair?

You're comparing Juventus to Chelsea? Chelsea bought the premiership. Juve are playing so spectacularly that United want Capello as their manager. Last year the title was still up with 3 games to go.

I cannot argue EPL fanboys, though.

I see this as a stupid argument, its ultimately down to opinion.

ninjabreakz said:
Can you read? I was a HUGE Serie A fan back in the 90's, preferring Serie A to the EPL. I am now very happy to have the best league in my country.

I know, but you aren't now are you. Now your blindly think EPL is so superious to Serie A.

ninjabreakz said:
Serie A is in DECLINE.
Can you read? I've already agree there, and had pointed that out in the Serie A thread, before this thread was created.

ninjabreakz said:

It's not a fact though, just an opponion or analysis at best.

ninjabreakz said:

Now try and think of 20 EPL players? It's easy. The F.A. have marketed their league and teams VERY shrewdly. My point was that Serie A is IN DECLINE. It is. Fact.

i think easier to think of serie A than england

by memory

Serie A :

- Shechenko
- Trezeguet
- Toni
- Thuram
- Del piero
- Frey
- Buffon
- Cafu
- Maldini
- Cannavaro
- Pirlo
- Inzaghi
- Ibrahimovic
- Gilardinho
- Gattuso
- Zambrota
- Zoro
- Mutu
- Lucareli
- Nedved

and EPL :

- Henry
- heuuu :-k

Adonis said:
No disrespect intented to other leagues, but I class 'Crap' leagues with the low key countries. We're talking French, Portugese, Dutch etc. Apart from teams like Benfica Lyon PSV etc those leagues dont compare.

I personally think for it to be crap no real quality would exist in the league. Now to say theres no quality in AC Milan, Juve and Inter is a joke. also I would call a league crap if there was no real challenge for a title. so does that mean if Chelsea are walking away with the title the Premiership is crap?

Its just an opinion that you're entitled to have.

If someone from outside the UK tuned in and wathced...say... Arsenal vs Man Utd at hibury (0-0 wasnt it? Dunno, fell asleep ;) )they would think the EPL was 'Crap'.

That fair?

CAN ANY OF YOU READ? Where the hell did I bring clubs into this? I am on about LEAGUES in general.

My point was: Serie A is in decline and our league is getting better every year. FACT.

ninjabreakz said:
Juventus - dominance. Fact. zzzz.

I cannot argue with Serie A fanboys, though.

I will wait for real football fanatics.

Wow, that's immensly arrogant. Though you're right on some level, you can't argue with Serie A fanboys as they know their league much better.

Real football fanatics? You're talking about EPL fans to back you up?

:lol: Brilliant Thomas.

Why is it a fact? Says who? Seeing Udinese in the group stages is progression... Everton not even entering the group stages shows the difference of progression of the league's quality.

Real football fanatics eh? The fact that a dutchman, a french man, and where ever adonis is from (sorry it doesnt say lol) are arguing mainly against your argument shows the difference between English football and European football.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom