Setting up your PS2 for online play

Hi peeps,

I have a hopefully easy to answer question. I updated my PS2 yesterday to a slim one as it has the adapter built in, but I didn't recieve a network disc. From what I have read, I can set up the online side of PE5 from the game disc which I have done, but it won't go past the "testing network environment" screen. I have tried adjusting the port settings, and also setting a static IP address, but nothing seems to work. Anybody have any ideas? I am desperate to try this game on-line against some equally fanatical fans of the series. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

Hey Matt, it's Matt :) Try configuring your router if you have one or your firewall. Also make sure you've set the port setting on pes5 to 5730. It'll be one of these things most likely ;)

I did try all that, but it didn't work. I managed to find on here a guide on how to set it up. I did a search for testing network environment, and everything is working. Woo Hoo. Played about ten games, and lost two, so not bad. My name on there is DemonVR6 if anyone comes across me and wants a game.

Cheers
Matt

mattster12 said:
Hey Matt, it's Matt :) Try configuring your router if you have one or your firewall. Also make sure you've set the port setting on pes5 to 5730. It'll be one of these things most likely ;)

Network connectionb test works, but when I try to commect i get an error. I set the port to 5730 but still get an error "Unable to transmit using UDP port 5730". My PS2 is in DMZ.

ve just brought a Slimline PS2, i read on Evo-Web that it comes with a Network Access Disc, but i didnt get one

Do i NEED this to play online ? if i do where can i get 1 from ?

I have a ethernet cable ect.

Thanks.

You don't need a Network Access Disc to play PES5 online, the settings are built in. You may need the disc to play other games online but PES5 fine without one.

If you really need a disc, then phone Sony and they will send you one. Thats what I did!

Hello there,

I've had no joy so far with my online set up. I have tried connecting the PS2(Slimline) straight to the Mac with an Ethernet Crossover cable but this didn't work. I then thought since I am using the Airport X-press as my wireless router that this may be causing the problem so I bought a wireless Ethernet Adapter. Although this was supposed to work straight out of the box by connecting to the PS2, I am still receiving the same message from the PS2:

Your connection attempt timed out. Check the connection status of your network device.

Any thoughts, anybody?

Thanks,
Afees

Hi ^_^ I am also having a problem :( I just can't register a USerid. If I test the Netwerkconnnection it's says everything is fine but when I want to register a Userid I get a Message "Unable to register" anyone know what the problem is? I also don't have a Network Access Disc but I don't think that's the problem because I already connected...atleast I think I did.

Thanks

easy now everyone,

i'm off to the USA (sadly a work thing) for 6 months, i've taken my trusty ps2 with my before but does anyone now will i still be able to play on line from the states???? As i'm seriously considering quiting my job to stay in england otherwise :)

I'm currently ordering BT Broadband so I can get online. However, they say they can't give me a 2MB line, the best I can get for where I live is 1MB.

Now I know all I need is 512kb, but given that the max speed will only be 1MB at best, has anyone got experience of playing online so close to the minimum limit? I'll only be playing Pro Evo and Everybody's Golf, but will the connection be good enough to make it worthwhile?

Lot's of love,

TB

*EDIT - No idea what my Upload Speed is though. How would I find that out?*

Last edited:
Ok, I've spoken to BT and they reckon my upload speed will be 256. It seems Clockender is playing quite happily with those settings, so I'm close to signing up.

However, I don't trust BT one little bit so any views, recommendations or other options from the massed brain of pro-evo would be greatly appreciated.

T Butcher fan said:
Ok, I've spoken to BT and they reckon my upload speed will be 256. It seems Clockender is playing quite happily with those settings, so I'm close to signing up.

However, I don't trust BT one little bit so any views, recommendations or other options from the massed brain of pro-evo would be greatly appreciated.

I have no problems what so ever with 1mb broadband from BT, infact I find BT the most reliable. just avoid spanish players..

Ok, I have a question from a friend this time (honest!)

Broadband was set up ages ago. So he gets the Network adaptor, but alas, the modem only has a USB port. Now I've read here that you can buy a crossover cable but does that have Ethernet on one end and USB on the other?

Does it go straight into the modem or is there more trickery involved?

Ta!

i have big problem can any body help me ???? whn i play online in the first have the match is cutting(lag) toooooooo much and bug i cant play and in the secconed have everything going very will no cutting(no lag) what can i do in this f**k firt have my connect is dsl and the speed is 256.
any help

Last edited:
T Butcher fan said:
Ok, I have a question from a friend this time (honest!)

Broadband was set up ages ago. So he gets the Network adaptor, but alas, the modem only has a USB port. Now I've read here that you can buy a crossover cable but does that have Ethernet on one end and USB on the other?

Does it go straight into the modem or is there more trickery involved?

Ta!

Your mate :lol: Needs to use internet connection sharing, just look in the first post at the bottom for instructions. Then you, sorry your mate, should be fine lol ;)

mattster12 said:
Your mate :lol: Needs to use internet connection sharing, just look in the first post at the bottom for instructions. Then you, sorry your mate, should be fine lol ;)

lol - no honestly! It is for a mate. I've done a bit of research and I've suggested he buys an Ethernet Router/Modem rather than the ICS thingumy. His mate who got the broadband only has a lap top and takes it with him whenever he goes to work. Therefore he won't always have a pc to connect to.

For MY part, It'll be my first attempt at getting online tonight, so I'm looking forward to.... running into a load of new problems!

Professor Nutmeg said:
Great game. It's online is it?

It is indeed. You need the Network access disk (mine hasn't arrived yet) so I don't know exactly what you can do yet, but it is out there!

Are you online? I'll keep my eye out for you (....if I ever get the fecking thing working!)

I had no intention of getting set up for online play (probably because I knew all the painful problems that were going to befall me!) but I'm looking forward to it now.

Mostly I'm just curious. Have you got any plans to go the online route Prof?

Not really, i don't find it hugely appealing to be honest. Plus there's the whole hassle of getting the right equipment and setting it up. I've played the odd PC game online before though, or on a network, but that's so much easier. :)

mattster12 said:

I've set up a DMZ on my router and the test connection worked perfectly. But when I try to connect to the network I get "Network Error (-612), There was no response from the DNS server. Please check your network configuration"

Any clues on what I'm doing wrong (and some instructions how to fix it)? Is it something to do with the Firewall?

Professor Nutmeg said:
Not really, i don't find it hugely appealing to be honest. Plus there's the whole hassle of getting the right equipment and setting it up.

Amen to that Prof - what a fecking ball ache this has turned out to be! Sadly, I didn't find that out till I was knee deep in wires and little black boxes. :roll:

Well SONY, you can stick your PS3 where the Sun don't shine. I'm taking up painting......

I had to open some ports on my router and firewall mate to get it working. Try opening the basic ports listed at the sony website, I've posted it here for ya:

Do I need to open ports on my firewall to play PS2 network games?

It depends on the game. The basic ports that you will need to open in order to play PlayStation 2 network games are:

* Allow ICMP

When you purchase a game it should state in the game manual which ports are required to be opened in order to play the game networked.

Then the required port PES5 states as using is UDP 5730, so once all them are open it should be A ok ;)

mattster12 said:
I had to open some ports on my router and firewall mate to get it working. Try opening the basic ports listed at the sony website, I've posted it here for ya:

Do I need to open ports on my firewall to play PS2 network games?

It depends on the game. The basic ports that you will need to open in order to play PlayStation 2 network games are:

* Allow ICMP

When you purchase a game it should state in the game manual which ports are required to be opened in order to play the game networked.

Then the required port PES5 states as using is UDP 5730, so once all them are open it should be A ok ;)

Matt, cheers for that. I stumbled across it last night and thought it might be the way to go.

However, I know next to nothing about computers so what I really need to know is where I go, and how I do all this? Do I need to go to the router browser (already been there to set up the DMZ), and in which case, what sort of area should I be looking at? I had a sniff around last night but couldn't see options for ICMP's or UDP's....

What I need is a button that says "\\:o/make PS2 online work\\:o/"!

I've found something on http://corz.org which looks about right, but I've got no idea what he's actually talking about. Is it simpler than this?

single port rules

firewall:

create ipf rule entry ruleid 1024 ifname public dir in act accept transprot eq tcp destport eq num 1024 seclevel high medium low

nat:
create nat rule entry ruleid 1024 rdr lcladdrfrom 192.168.1.3 lcladdrto 192.168.1.3 destportfrom num 1024 destportto num 1024

That was easy! If you need UDP instead of TCP, simply alter "transprot eq tcp" to "transprot eq udp".

T Butcher fan said:
Matt, cheers for that. I stumbled across it last night and thought it might be the way to go.

However, I know next to nothing about computers so what I really need to know is where I go, and how I do all this? Do I need to go to the router browser (already been there to set up the DMZ), and in which case, what sort of area should I be looking at? I had a sniff around last night but couldn't see options for ICMP's or UDP's....

What I need is a button that says "make PS2 online work"!

Yes that would be perfect lol. But everything always has to be so god damn difficult.....I had some real problems setting mine up. But yeh you need to back to the router browser but mine probably ain't set out the same as yours.

But on mine I goto the firewall rules section and there's a inbound and outbound chart. Just look for something like that and then you can add which ports you want to open, make sure you do it for both inbound and outbound though.

Tbh all I do with mine is open all ports inbound and outbound when I wanna play online, then close them again when I'm done. But thats cos it was messing me around and I just decided to open the lot, if you've got a firewall you should still have good protection. But this is how I do it, also I'm not sure how risky it is but I have a good firewall.

But I would try the other method first as this was just a last resort after about 6 hours of frustration with it lol. It may work first time for you...hope so anyway mate :)

Last edited:
mattster12 said:
Yes that would be perfect lol. But everything always has to be so god damn difficult.....I had some real problems setting mine up. But yeh you need to back to the router browser but mine probably ain't set out the same as yours.

But on mine I goto the firewall rules section and there's a inbound and outbound chart. Just look for something like that and then you can add which ports you want to open, make sure you do it for both inbound and outbound though.

Tbh all I do with mine is open all ports inbound and outbound when I wanna play online, then close them again when I'm done. But thats cos it was messing me around and I just decided to open the lot, if you've got a firewall you should still have good protection. But this is how I do it, also I'm not sure how risky it is but I have a good firewall.

But I would try the other method first as this was just a last resort after about 6 hours of frustration with it lol. It may work first time for you...hope so anyway mate :)

I think (if I can find it) I will do the same as you. There's feck all worth stealing on my PC anyway. Should some really bored hacker decide that TB's clapped out old Packard Bell is where it's at, he's likely to come away with little more than essays on European Politics, a picture of me with Johnny Bumstead and a handful of virus's.

Getting a new PC next year though, so I suppose I need to get this shit sorted sooner or later. I know! I'm sure BT will help me! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom