Setting up your PS2 for online play

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
To stop the million threads on setting up your PS2 here we go with a simple guide

What you will need

* Network Adapter (The Slimline PS2 has this built in already.)
* Network Access Disc (This comes with both the Slimline PS2 and the network adapter.) Note: You don't need the network access disk to play pes 5 online. It has the network configuration built in. Other games might still need it though.
* Broadband Connection (Either ADSL or Cable.)
* Ethernet cable
* Ethernet Modem.

For the Ethernet modem, make sure you pick the correct one for your connection because an ADSL one, will not work with a Cable one. If you or someone else in your household, is going to be using the online capabilities of a PC while your gaming online with your PS2, you will need to buy a router too but most routers have a built in modem so this should not be a problem.

Getting Your Playstation 2 Online

1: The first thing you need to do is to put your network adapter into your PS2 (this can be skipped for Slimline owners.) To do this you can find out by reading the manual that comes with the network adapter but it's simply a case of taking out the piece of plastic labelled expansion bay at the back of your PS2 and fitting in the network adapter.

2: The next thing to do is to stick in your internet connection, to do this you simply connect your Ethernet Modem/Router to your PS2, to do this you use the Ethernet Cable and place it into the Ethernet (RJ45) socket on your network adapter.

3: The next thing to do is switch your PS2 on and insert the Network Access Disc which came with the Network Adapter/Slimline Console. Once this is loaded you will be taken to the main menu and given two options,
1: Get Connected and
2: Central station.
For the purpose of this guide, i shall only talk about Option 1, so please go there.

4: On this option you have more choices, the first one is a video which takes you through the process of getting your PS2 and the second option is setup which lets you configure the details (please make sure you have your memory card in your PS2 as the details gets saved there.) There is also an Advanced setup mode but i have decided not to include this as my main intentions is to try and keep this guide as simplified as possible.

5: Now go to the setup option and the Network Access Disc should automatically configure everything for you, sometimes it will be missing information due to your isp not being recognised, if this happends you will need to give it further information but all of this can easily be obtained from your ISP and their tech support staff should be able to assist you with any problems you have.

6: Now you should be all setup and online ready for PES5 but you will also want to register a game handle, to do this goto www.ps2registration.com and follow the steps there and you are good to go.

How do I setup Internet Connection Sharing?

To do this is simple, go to start menu > connect to > Choose your internet connection used > advanced tab> Check the option which says allow other network users to connect to the internet through this computer.

Once you have done that, it's simply a case of putting one end of your crossover cable to your pc and the other to your ps2.

regarding the Network Adaptor - is there one specific brand you can buy and roughly how much would this cost?

cian said:
regarding the Network Adaptor - is there one specific brand you can buy and roughly how much would this cost?

As far as I am aware there is only one version of the Network Adapter and that is Sonys. You can no longer buy one in the shops but there are plenty on eBay for around 20-25 quid

Great thread, it was much needed.
CWright, you should consider putting a section regarding Port Forwarding and IP Adrressing for those who use ICS (internet connection sharing), with the ports for PES5.
Thanks

hi guys..my test connection was sucessfull.Then when i choose Network
i use my internet settings from my memorycard,then i try to connect to network.At Authenticating user ID and passwort..it hangs..after 30 seconds it says:
Your Connection attempt timed out.Check the connection status of your network device.
What can i do ?
Plz help.

RicKs said:
Great thread, it was much needed.
CWright, you should consider putting a section regarding Port Forwarding and IP Adrressing for those who use ICS (internet connection sharing), with the ports for PES5.
Thanks

Tottall agree...

I learnt that the Japanese version WE9 requires monthly fee to play online, does PES5 also require or is it truely 'FREE'?

Also, after logging in server, are there competitions held by Konami or just matches in rooms?

No you only pay for the equipment :) No charge for playing online. There are division lobbys, free lobbys and friendly lobbys.

Thanks for the info. I think the difference is there is no 'competition' mode as in WE9. In the competition mode, server would hold a competition, say from 2pm-3pm, and invite ppl to join. If you join, then you start to play at 2pm, and play as many matches as you can until 3pm. Opponents are those who have joined the same competition. After 3pm, the competition ends and server would announce the ranking. Those who get top ranks would have extra credits.

But still I prefer a free online mode play!

Can someone answer a question?

My local games shop has a 2nd hand network adapter for sale (no disc, no cable). I have phoned Sony and they are to send out a replacement disc and I get an ethernet cable from work). If I get it is that all I need? What about this 14 digit code I need for registration?

You don't even need to register your network adapter mate, I had trouble getting on and I thought thata was the reason. But the guy at sony support told me it's not necessary so with all that your good to go :)

B ut make sure you'vr got the right ethernet cable, if your plugging straight into your router you only need a straight one. If not you need a crossover ethernet cable ;)

Thanks mate, thats great. I need a crossover cable cos its going through my PC.

Point 6 above says: 6: Now you should be all setup and online ready for PES5 but you will also want to register a game handle, to do this goto www.ps2registration.com and follow the steps there and you are good to go.

Thts why I thought I needed to register, where do I get my gamer tag from then that will be recognised in PES5?

Yeh thats what I thought until I'd spoke to the guy at online support. But I haven't registered mine and it works perfect even with a patched copy :D

Well it ain't like xbox live, you have to create a nick name for yourself on pes5. You can have upto 3 aswell then just play and add people to your friends list. The only thing I think they should have done is give us the option add friends to our list whenever we want like xbox live. Cos at the moment you can only add someone once you've played them which is pretty gay tbh :(

The main thing is your upload speed mate, the fastest most people have in uk is 256kb/s but I've played people with 128kb/s upload speed and it's been fine. I;m not sure what the upload speed is on a 1/2 meg connection though. Do you know what yours is ?

Clockender said:
Thanks mate, I will check tonight. I will give you a shout when I am online!

If you've got the network adapter and cable already you don't even need to wait for the disc. PES5 has a network configuration utility built into game, just remembered lol. So if you've got these 2 things already you can get on straight away :)

@Mufc_Rule - yeh a green connection is usually 256kb/s or higher :)

mattster12 said:
The main thing is your upload speed mate, the fastest most people have in uk is 256kb/s but I've played people with 128kb/s upload speed and it's been fine. I;m not sure what the upload speed is on a 1/2 meg connection though. Do you know what yours is ?
My upload speed is 252kb/s, therefore I am good to go. Just awaiting my crossover cable now and I am on.

CWright said:
As far as I am aware there is only one version of the Network Adapter and that is Sonys. You can no longer buy one in the shops but there are plenty on eBay for around 20-25 quid

My local 'gamestatation' (sittingbourne) had quite a few in stock, same with Chatham... Brand New £20. Even Game in Canterbury had them in last time I checked.

There are also 3rd party Network adapters, but I wouldnt go near them with a barge pole.

got my network adapter today and cannot work out the cable setup. I have a BT Voyager 100 usb ADSL Modem and it has two connections one for the usb cable and the other for the DSL cable. I tried to connect the cable supplied from the network adapter to the modem and realised that i cannot as i need one going from the modem to the phone line and one going from the modem to the adapter. Any idea's do i need a different type of modem?

You need to plug one end into your NIC (network) card, usually at the back of your pc. Then the other end goes into your network adapter, make sure it's acrossover ethernet cable though ;) Then setup Internet connection sgaring on your pc.

Well apart from buying a really really really long cable lol. I'm not sure cos I've tried to do it wireless with a wireless games adapterand I haven't got it to work yet :( But I don't know if it'd be possible to use access point and then use a straight ethernet cable from the access point to the ps2. I just have my ps2 next to my pc at the moment and use my pc screen, but if anyone has done it wirelessly please share the info :)

i am gutted about that i don't want to move my ps2 coz its hooked up to my 42 inch plasma and surround sound, putting on a 17 inch monitor i think i would cry.I may look into getting a long cable i know a guy.

If you go for the cable option then it's not that expensive cos their really cheap. But then it's just a case of hiding the fuker lol

Of course you could always go the wireless route. get a wireless card for your PC and a wireless bridge for you PS2 and away you go.

all this trouble just to play online, i thought all i had to do was connect my modem to my ps2 and away i go, this is a pain.i think i will leave it and maybe play the pc version on line if it has it when it comes out. I may have to use my laptop from work and start bringing it home and hook up my modem that way.

cheers

Damo

CWright said:

Got a genuine Sony Network adapter
from P.C. World yesterday £14.97 (Reduced)
Get in there Guys an Gals.

\\:o/ :applause: \\:o/

do you have to register here www.ps2registration.com to play online pro evo 5? who here is using ntl 1meg broadband connection to connect with pro evo 5. is it easy to use. I rang ntl other day and asked for second ip address for online gaming they said we have stopped doing them any more then he advised me to use same ip address which i use for my pc and it should work fine. Is that true?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom