Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

M

MonkeyJug

anyone played this much-touted 'game of the year 'yet? is it as good as ico?

Excellent game, ICO got a bit repeatative for me (puzzle, black things, puzzle, more black things, puzzle repeat).

Landscape is lovely, enemies are stunning, can be hard at times, but looks like it will also be short :(

great game.
i think this looks like ZELDA on NGC.
but fps is probably about 20, so not smooth.
and i want bgm, too silent.

It's gotten great reviews. I played the demo for about 10 minutes and was blown away by the size of the Collosus i came up against.

It has ICO's spirit of desolation and overwhelming mood as well. It's gonna be a unique experience, which is to be expected from these creators.

I have too many games to finish, but i'll play this some time in 06.

BTW - me and a buddy were laughing the other day, trying to remember what the kid in Ico would yell to the chick to get her to follow him. . .what would he yell?

The game looks IDENTICAL to ICO's graphical power YET it suffers from the same bland"artistic" color. kinda blah if you ask me. BUT BUT BUT!

This game has a scope that hasn't been done in Video games before EVER.

battles 16 bosses st8 is pure genuis. but then to say the boss are kinda like levels in a platformer is something entirely different.

i like the game,don't love it though.

I love the fact theres no music except the dramatic stuff for the colossus...

I'm finding out fast the game is quite short! (14/16)

EDIT - Component leads arrived today, first game i've tried them out on and i've gotta say it looks great in 480p. Crisp and alot less conversion artifacting. Shame like all the other HDTV supported games, the feature will be removed for the PAL release.

Last edited:
Gutted about this.

My PS2 can only read CDs, not DVDs (laser problem, tried tweaking and this is already my second laser so it's not getting replaced again). I boot my games off the hard drive, and this of course, doesn't work off the HD. :(

I'll need to get a loan of a mate's machine for a weekend or something, it's meant to be pretty short anyway.

BumperMan said:
The game looks IDENTICAL to ICO's graphical power YET it suffers from the same bland"artistic" color. kinda blah if you ask me. BUT BUT BUT!
Totally agree with this. Some very shabby graphics - looks like PS1 in a lot of places.

Generally good but not quite a 10/10 as it's been getting in reviews.

Personally, I love the game. I love the whole bleached style. It makes the game looks more like art than any other. And you can't say that it's identical to ICO. The animation's MUCH smoother. The horse's movements are very realistic. Great fights; they're not exactly HARDCORE but still require (some/a lot of) thinking. The only problem I have with it is the bad camera that sometimes zoom/rotate randomly. Other than that, the game's almost perfect. I also agree that it's pretty short. I've played around 2 hours and have defeated 5 Colossi, but that's how I like my games, short but sweet.

Have to say this game has been amazing so far... I disagree about the graphics.. at times, it's breath-taking... just the overall mood of the game is impressive... and I can't remember the last game I played where my heart skipped a beat and I was awestruck with wonder...

It's obvious that the PS2 is being pushed to its limits, but if you ignore the pop-ups... it's still a magnificent game, with so manyu memorable battles... you really feel a sense of relief (and sadness) when u see one of the GIGANTIC beasts fall to the ground!!!

Am taking my time, only on the 5th Colossus... storyline is a bit weak, but the animation of that horse is fantastic. It's a joy to merely wander the landscape with him!!!

just seeing the colossus #4 swoop towards me was an amazing sight to behold... in fact... I froze because it was so unbelievable...

... the whols game is pretty dream-like... I don't think end-of-level bosses have ever been this good... so if it's not worth a 10/10... it's a HIGH 9.5 so far...

During the battle with the 8th colossus, something strange happened and the character became invisible. I managed to finish off the boss and back at the temple there was another glitch, as shown below:

[click to see larger version]

The body and the head of the character seem to have had a disagreement....

Great game, very enjoyable. It's only the second game in as many years that I've been arsed and motivated to complete, the other one being ICO. :)

hey guys, Ive recently got this game and begun playing it.

Thing is...Im finding it a bit boring. Its a great game and the pace is perfect for the sort of game it is (if that makes sense), but Im not feeling the awe like I did with God of War etc.

Id simply stop playing but Ive been told the ending is magnificent. Any chance someone could tell me what happens? I really wanna see the ending but havent got the patience to kill all the bosses. I mean, Im only on the fifth one!

a pm or link to where it tells you the ending would be great.

Thanks

ok, im over that 'give me the ending' phase. Im really into the game now!

The colossi are unbelievable. Onto the 12th one now. It really is a classic.

so far I'd give it 9/10. Would give it 10 but Im thinking the game is far too short. Like I said im on the 12th colossus, and the timer reads 5hrs 20min. Surely that means the game wont go over 7-8hrs?

Bit too short, but Im loving every second of it :)

Its one of them games that draws you in and wont let you go til you are thru it. Glad you are now enjoying it mate

I loved and finished it... short if you cheat like I did and read gameFAQ, without that I could have spent hours getting stuck on how to kill the odd beast.
Thought graphics were awesome (and if it was an xbox360 game would probably its best release!)

definatly a game that draws you in. Some of the fights have been stunning.

I agree with the graphics, it looks unbelievable for a PS2 game. It wouldnt look out of place on the 360, obviously if the pop up was sorted.

It seems amazing how a game thats so simply set out (16 bosses, no other enemys, open world etc) could be so great.

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. Its actually is making me think to re-start Ico once Ive completed it. I never got into that game because the puzzles got too much for me and I hate using game guides. might have to try that gamefaq site just this once ;)

Mart said:
Great game, very enjoyable. It's only the second game in as many years that I've been arsed and motivated to complete, the other one being ICO. :)

Put God of War on that list, brotha. It's up there with Metal Gear and ICO.

speaking as a self-confessed jaded gamer, this is by far and away one of the best games i have played in recent memory.

i bought MGS3, and have so far clocked a whole 30 mins on it. GTA:SA lasted about 5 hrs or so (if even that) before i got bored, and haven't gone back since. i don't know, these days it takes a game to be something really special/different for me to get interested in it.

then along came Colossus, and it's got me completely hooked. the graphics are simply breathtaking. i like the roaming about (no bgm really helps here i think), and the design coupled with the whole look and feel of the game makes for a really refreshing and unique gameplay experience. it's true that the frame rate is far from great, but it says a lot about the game that it never really holds it back from achieving what it sets out to do. and the Colossi themselves truly have to be seen to be believed.

while it may indeed be a fairly short game, and not overly challenging either, at the end of the day when i come home from work, there's only one game in my collection that i even remotely want to play, and that's Colossus.

and just like a good book, i'm really taking my time with it cos i just don't want it to end!

really wish Konami had released it on the xbox though. it would look even more astounding if it ran a bit better.

quite right Classic, it is an in-house Sony game (and i knew that aswell! lol)

honestly. Konami on the brain i am sometimes...

I got this game now too and I have to say I am impressed. At the first beast I thought 'whats all the fuss about?' But after I killed the first colossus I felt quite proud of myself so I went on to the second. I was frustrated that it didnt went the way I want (getting used to controls etc) but for the same time I couldnt put the ps2 out. So i continued and finally I destroyed the second colossus and I felt even more great then the first one. I also looked at the time I saw it took me 40 minutes! Really, this game has a kind of glow over it which you dont want to get rid of. As soon as I have time I will hunt down the thirth collossus and start again that long great fight (with superb music btw!)

Just a quick tip.

Lizards increase your energy bar
rating: 4.00/5.00
If you happen to run across a save alter search around for a lizard with a white tail. if you eat it your energy cirlce will increase slightly. There are also several "secret" white tailed lizards found in areas besides alters. A few I know of:
1. When you enter the southern half of the land go east as far as you can go. There should be an alter with a large tree near the cliff overlooking the sea. If you look down the cliff from the tree you will see a ledge with a lizard on it. *warning* if you jump down to get the lizard you will seem stuck. Look to the north and you will see a ramp you can jump down to.
2.Near the broken seal area there is a rock formation that obviously isn't natural. a lizard crawls amongst the rocks.

more at
http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/cheats/PS2/nico.html
http://www.cheatcc.com/psx2/shadowofthecolossuscheatscodes.html

ghazi said:
Put God of War on that list, brotha. It's up there with Metal Gear and ICO.
Unfortunately that's on the list of started, enjoyed for a bit and never went back to...

Anyway, the PAL release of Colossus is approaching so thought it was worth bumping the topic in the vain hope that it inspires people to buy it. :)

Mart said:
Anyway, the PAL release of Colossus is approaching so thought it was worth bumping the topic in the vain hope that it inspires people to buy it. :)

You on commission Mart? ;)

Killed my first Colossus :) Trying to work out where to go next. Btw, are you able to walk back up that spiral passage on the horse? Just wondering if i have to go back across that long bridge again.

Back
Top Bottom