Shearer's Career Ends

Milanista

Mangiamoli!
19 December 2002
London & Milan
AC Milan
Alan Shearer's career is over after scans on his knee injury confirmed his final season has been ended prematurely.
The Newcastle captain had planned to retire at the end of the 2005-06 campaign but a medial ligament tear has denied him the chance to play in the final three games.The 35-year-old former England striker was injured in a challenge by Sunderland midfielder Julio Arca in last week's Premiership victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.Shearer told The Sun: 'That's it. It's all over. There's a tear in the medial ligament which, although it does not require an operation, means I will be in a knee brace for a few weeks.'Deep down I knew when I limped out of the Stadium of Light that it was probably the end and I think the fans knew it as well. They know I don't stay down unless I'm badly hurt.'It's disappointing, but I've got no regrets. I've had a great career.'Shearer had scored his 206th - and now final - Newcastle goal from the penalty spot shortly before limping off in that win at Sunderland.In all he scored 379 goals in 733 club appearances in an 18-year career which started at Southampton and also took in a high-profile spell at Blackburn. He also netted 30 times in 63 appearances for England.His legendary status at Newcastle was confirmed in February when he overtook Jackie Milburn to become the club's all-time leading goalscorer.Shearer joined Newcastle from Blackburn for a then record £15million in 1996 but his only major honour came when he won the Premiership with Rovers in 1995.Shearer added: 'My dream as a kid was to play for Newcastle United and to score goals at St James' Park. It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream.'Unless you come from the area you wouldn't understand that mentality. Playing for the club is everything. I broke Jackie's record and no-one can take that away from me. I've never had any regrets.'I am finished now and I have great memories. The fact I won't be able to play the last three games is disappointing but I'm not complaining. How could I?'Newcastle this morning confirmed Shearer would not be playing for them again this season.A short statement on the club's official website, www.nufc.co.uk, read: 'Newcastle United have announced that Alan Shearer has suffered a grade two tear to the medial ligament in his left knee.'As a result, he will not play for the Magpies in the final three remaining Premiership matches of the season.'

Even though its just 3 games remaining, hes gunna stop playing.
I dont like him, but I think this deserves some notice since Shearer is pretty famous globally.

He was a great forward...he deserved another sort of end for his football carreer...
Now he will be some sort of manager...i doubt he will be a good one....

He was/is an amazing player and no fool off the pitch (no whores on his knob) and I wish him all the best!

He was great but I wish he'd signed for Man Utd. He would have been an absolute legend and United would probably have won the champs league a couple more times with him.

Guy was a brillaint forward, one of the top English forwards I've saw. Personally for some bizarre reason I would've liked him to win something with Newcastle, such as the FA Cup this year, but wasn't to be.

FD

He is without a doubt the best Striker to ever grace the Premiership.There is no other English striker that is even close to him these days.In his prime,there is no stopping him,he scores them all.Right foot,left foot,headers,freekicks,penalties.Superb in holding the ball and could even man mark the defender instead of the other way round.Its not a puzzle these days when top managers like Sir Alex Ferguson still barks at his chief scouts,"Get me a Shearer!" Thanks for the memories Alan.

phrase said:
He is without a doubt the best Striker to ever grace the Premiership.There is no other English striker that is even close to him these days.In his prime,there is no stopping him,he scores them all.Right foot,left foot,headers,freekicks,penalties.Superb in holding the ball and could even man mark the defender instead of the other way round.Its not a puzzle these days when top managers like Sir Alex Ferguson still barks at his chief scouts,"Get me a Shearer!" Thanks for the memories Alan.
:applause: Couldnt have said it better.

He was my favourite striker in 98. I had to play with him in all my video games :). Then Henry arrived...

If he'd kept plugging away for 4-5 years, he could have been on par with Robbie Fowler. Good luck to him and I hope he does well.

phrase said:

you said it mate. an all time great and imo the best english center forward of all time.could never understand why people didnt like him. geting to old to have heros now but he was my greatest and last!

Last edited:
My favourite player of all times.
He made me fall in love with Blackburn when i started watching Premier League more than 10 years ago.
The greatest center forward ever.
I i wish he' d signed for Manchester United 10 years ago to see him at top level competition in his best years.
Great champion....an idol! :)

gergerger said:
Was Julio Arca guilty or something for this? or was it just bad luck?

Bad luck mate, don't worry!!

Went in for a challenge and Arca fell onto Shearer's knee bending it slightly backwards! (Ouch!!)

Last Ever goal against Sunderland though!!

He'd defiently go into my "top 10 strikers of all time" list, the man is a legend in his prime he was one of the best in the world let alone premiership.

Personally I thought he should of joined Manure when he had the chance to, he was only 25? at the time, could of easily done what Sheringham(win some trophies along the way) did before moving to his beloved Newcastle UTD before he turned 30...

Since I'm a Rovers fan it's hard to hate Shearer since he was insane 11 years ago when we won the Premiership. Although he left us right after we got £15m for him so he wasn't a traitor and has always been loved by the people around him. It's going to be weird to watch Newcastle without Shearer now, but that's just the way it is. I wish him the best in the future, he deserves it.

Indeed one of the best English striker of all times and no doubt he was among the world's best in his peak. He was the TRUE "Clinical" finisher/striker and could do it all whether it was being at right place at right time or headers or unstoppable drives, FK's and volleys!

True legend and yeah like Ram said it'll be a bit weird for a while seeing Newcastle without Shearer but as long as he's on the sidelines, not too weird I guess ;) as his presence will still be felt. Just not in same way anymore! :/

Sad to see him retire because he was sooooooooooo great and entertained me and all EPL fans whether Newcastle or not with so many moments of sheer brilliant finishing! But this is the way it is and there's an end to all things, good or bad :/

Long live Shearer and best of luck to him in future! True Legend!

Edit: For once I didn't read whole thread before posting and now I just saw Phrase's comments and they pretty much sum up my feelings so perhaps the above wasn't even necessary from me :p cuz he said it very well!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom