Shenmue

gabe.paul.logan

Retired Footballer
7 January 2007
Budapest
Hungary

:JAY:

Just having 1,5 week off for some reason. Had none yet this year so far. 5 days spent with friends doing summery and beachy things. Time to geek out. Lets see if it still leaves the same impression. Also i havent played the 2nd one.

Just finished preload it.

I've never played one, but since I've always heard this title regarded as a milestone of gaming and a true timeless masterpiece, I've practically bought it the second I saw it advertised on Steam.

Looking forward to play it, hope it won't disappoint :) .

I remember got stucked in for days and days. Its not a GTA 5 or a Breath of the Wild but still. Pretty damn amazing game. I even love the cheasy english voices.

One of the first games with QTE tho also. Hope you knew it, just because it splits people as its in almost every game nowdays. But i think here it has somekind of charm as you even can train your(!) not your characters QTE skills ingame.

I really interested in this given it's cult status. I've never played it and i'm concerned the adoration for it is out of nostalgia and not necessarily because it's a timeless game. Of course games have changed alot over the 2 decades since this was originally released so i'm not in this for the game play alone, it'd better have a damn fine story and wonderful atmosphere to keep me invested.

I really interested in this given it's cult status. I've never played it and i'm concerned the adoration for it is out of nostalgia and not necessarily because it's a timeless game. Of course games have changed alot over the 2 decades since this was originally released so i'm not in this for the game play alone, it'd better have a damn fine story and wonderful atmosphere to keep me invested.

I am going to replay them as they are both in the Top 10 games of all time for me.

However I expect the controls to be clunky, as like the original Resident Evil games - Resi 2 was amazing but the controls are damn awful now.

The story in both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are very good, but there is a lot of boring stuff in there too.
But at the time is was pretty open world, you can go to the arcade and play old games and do anything you like - You will get addicted to Lucky Hit in Shenmue 2.

If you never played before just try and ignore the 1st hour or so of the game, you spend it walking around basically meeting everyone and asking about a stupid black car on the day the snow turned to rain..
You will want to kill yourself at this point, but get 2+ hours in and the game does start becoming really enjoyable.

I am going to replay them as they are both in the Top 10 games of all time for me.

However I expect the controls to be clunky, as like the original Resident Evil games - Resi 2 was amazing but the controls are damn awful now.

The story in both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are very good, but there is a lot of boring stuff in there too.
But at the time is was pretty open world, you can go to the arcade and play old games and do anything you like - You will get addicted to Lucky Hit in Shenmue 2.

If you never played before just try and ignore the 1st hour or so of the game, you spend it walking around basically meeting everyone and asking about a stupid black car on the day the snow turned to rain..
You will want to kill yourself at this point, but get 2+ hours in and the game does start becoming really enjoyable.

Thanks. I've heard about the meme's about the snow turning to rain, i've heard about the complaints in regards to boring parts of the first game so i'm hoping now that i'm expecting the worst, i'll actually enjoy them and realise they aren't so bad.

I've played worse games and i'll persevere due to this games reputation and sentimental part of gaming history and folklore. I wish i was one of those who are nostalgic about and had warm fuzzy feelings about it the way i do Metal Gear and FFVII but i'm going to respect it. It does warm my heart to see the love and devotion to it in forums like on Resetera's OT's.

I actually started playing through a Resident Evil pilgrimage earlier this year and i recently finished 1, 2 & 3. And i expected it to be nauseting and awful but it was actually enjoyable and i adapted to the controls pretty quickly. I could appreciate what was magical about the games in the late 90's through 2018 eyes as i grew up on the Playstation, just missed this series. So i'm looking forward to playing Shenmue from a revisionist standpoint.

I was never bored playing this, every clunky step with Ryo on the streets of Yokosuka during the real time day and weather system, every small talk with that cheesy dialogue, every bit of music is amazing in this one.
Probably the controls and the graphics arent aged that well but who cares. Something great is released again.

I was never bored playing this, every clunky step with Ryo on the streets of Yokosuka during the real time day and weather system, every small talk with that cheesy dialogue, every bit of music is amazing in this one.
Probably the controls and the graphics arent aged that well but who cares. Something great is released again.

I wouldn't say I found too much of the game boring, just a couple of bits..

But I do certainly think it is worth saying to new players that the 1st hour of Shenmue is really slow and tedious, but once you get pass that part of the game it is incredible.

Yes right, it can get a bit hopeless for a regular gamer until the first fight.

Just played yesterday: yes the controls are clunky :D. But whoa i forgot it has analog sprint!!!!

But as for customer point of view...its a robbery. Its a raw port. You can get a Dreamcast and the game cheaper on ebay.
Not even the resolution was sorted out properly. Just look at Jakuza 0 for example. Im not asking for a remaster but damn at least do it like Capcom for RE 1 and 0. Work a few hours on the controls plus the resolution.

It unfortunately stress my CPU like crazy, which is weird.

I mean, I don't certainly have a super computer and some of the latest games already stress my cpu during summer, but this one makes my cooling fan go way crazier than PES 19 demo :BLINK:. Considering that's a game of almost 20 years ago and despite the above I still run decently stuff like The Witcher 3, I feel a bit disoriented..

Bought shenmue on Dreamcast when it came out,and that game was so far ahead of its time it is as almost ridiculous.
Couldn't really grasp it,since most games back then we're so "point A to B"
Don't know how it's holding up today,but I'm getting it

I watched some of the Giant Bomb crew play through the original, it was very entertaining although it didn't really sell me on the game. I have been hoping they would play through 2 as well before the third one is out. I am afraid it's part of their subscription service, if anyone wants to check it out.

Im trying to get into the 2nd game. Yes the controls did not age well..VERY CLUNKY. However im loving the cheesy dialogue and the depth what you can do in this game, i hope it sucks me in again after 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom