Shingo “Seabass” Takatsuka - TGS 2005 Interview

When he says the Nippon Mode wasnt carried over for limits on hardware is he saying that the PS2 in Japan is more powerful than a US, or European machine.

What crap. I understand it would be tougher to have a mode that caters for all the top Euorpean countries but surely something would have been better than nothing.

Thomas, what do you mean by "PES version"? Do you mean PSP?

I think that's a great interview and revealed some interesting things, like the format not being that important, they seem ready to progress whatever the machine.

One thing that is not so encouraging IMO, is the way 'simulation' is referred to when speaking about a possible DS version. It would seem any dream folk have of seeing a SWOS-esque Winning Eleven merged with a management-style mode is not going to be fufilled, judging by the response.

He didn't mention power, he said space. By this I think he means they didn't want to only include one or two nations, if they are going to do a mode like this they want to put as many in as possible. Time spent creating these modes is also time spent not developing the gameplay engine, which results in folk moaning 12 months later when the next version is due out a month behind schedule ;).

Last edited:
ClassicD said:
I can't see where PES is mentioned once in that interview?

"GI: After playing the Japanese version the game seemed even more difficult. Do you agree with that?

Takatsuka: Well yes, you are right. Maybe what you felt with the difficulty is correct. When you play with your friends maybe you’ll have a different impression. Maybe you’ll have a little bit different experience and a little bit more fun. But, actually, yes, I think it’s easy to say we made it a little more difficult than the previous version.

GI: The difficulty is good by the way.

Takatsuka: I’m not sure about that. (laughs)

GI: Well, I think it’s more fun with my friends because I’m better than they are since I play against the computer. (laughs)

Takatsuka: I’m not satisfied with Winning Eleven 9 this time.

GI: Why?

Takatsuka: I had a good reputation as a very strong player, but with Winning Eleven 9 I can’t win as much as I used to. (laughs) So I’m not satisfied."

ClassicD said:
Thomas, what do you mean by "PES version"? Do you mean PSP?

I think that's a great interview and revealed some interesting things, like the format not being that important, they seem ready to progress whatever the machine.

One thing that is not so encouraging IMO, is the way 'simulation' is referred to when speaking about a possible DS version. It would seem any dream folk have of seeing a SWOS-esque Winning Eleven merged with a management-style mode is not going to be fufilled, judging by the response.

He didn't mention power, he said space. By this I think he means they didn't want to only include one or two nations, if they are going to do a mode like this they want to put as many in as possible. Time spent creating these modes is also time spent not developing the gameplay engine, which results in folk moaning 12 months later when the next version is due out a month behind schedule ;).

Yeah that is a fair point I suppose. I didnt read it properly it would seem heh.

Still, they could have just kept the Nippon Challenge in :D

what a dooche

anyway yeah man you gotta catch up with the times mr seabass and get on that next gen hardware quick.

Ohh and i LOVE how he handled the DS question. If Wac a mole can be announced so can a WE for the DS. Complete RUN around.

Alberto Tomba said:
what a dooche

anyway yeah man you gotta catch up with the times mr seabass and get on that next gen hardware quick.
:roll:

Yeah, shame on him for taking a year to properly develop a new version, instead of simply rushing out a new half-arsed one to cash in on the Christmas 360 market. He's got no respect that lad...

And the interview is from last month, so it's entirely possible at that point he wasn't able to say anything, although it's clear from reading it they're planning on one (he explains possible uses for the screen FFS, they've obviously discussed it)!

I hate how he talks about Fifa and its graphics and look of the game.

Hello what about their Career mode it kills the master league every year if they sorted that we wouldnt even have to keep one eye on fifa and how it plays each year

i dont like the idea that they will change the numbers

Winning Eleven ² ? :(

ClassicD said:
:roll:

Yeah, shame on him for taking a year to properly develop a new version, instead of simply rushing out a new half-arsed one to cash in on the Christmas 360 market. He's got no respect that lad...

And the interview is from last month, so it's entirely possible at that point he wasn't able to say anything, although it's clear from reading it they're planning on one (he explains possible uses for the screen FFS, they've obviously discussed it)!

You're right but it's about the effort to at least have something along with all the other good titles for the 360. I like WE always have even love the PSP vers more but i think i like the PSP vers more because what konami did with the tchnology and now that EA is showing what's GRAPHICALLY possible I'm all for it.

They can't win.

If they release a quick version with no gameplay improvements and somewhat nicer graphics, they're slated for being money-grabbers, rightly IMO. If they decide to develop a version fully and properly, they're panned for not showing enough "effort" to get a version out quickly.

The bottom line here is they're shunning the quick buck in order to produce a better end product, while with FIFA, EA are shunning the end product in order to make a quick buck.

How this makes Seabass a "dooche", I don't know.

Konami have got the market cornered with their game compared to fifa.
Who else releases 3 different games in japan 1 different game in europe and then waits to release an almost identicle game in america to the european one 5 months later?. Each game is relaesed throughout the year.
Why import sales

Even EA with the Madden franchise only release 2 versions 1 being just college football and these get released within weeks of each other.

Dont even suggest konami dont money grab

The only way to stop this was to everyone boycot a substandard release like WE9 but that would never happen.

Winning eleven 9 was a quick buck as will be the first releases on the XBOX 360 and PS3 as they wont have had enough time to work with the hardware and the games will just be WE10 on the ps2 with better graphics just like WE5 and Pro Evo was when released on PS2.
Ppl will argue aggaisnt this but look at history the facts dont lie its not really konamis fault Beta kits are terrible as they dont want to give away any specs to competitors.

Last edited:
ClassicD said:
They can't win.

If they release a quick version with no gameplay improvements and somewhat nicer graphics, they're slated for being money-grabbers, rightly IMO. If they decide to develop a version fully and properly, they're panned for not showing enough "effort" to get a version out quickly.

The bottom line here is they're shunning the quick buck in order to produce a better end product, while with FIFA, EA are shunning the end product in order to make a quick buck.

How this makes Seabass a "dooche", I don't know.

Quick buck and doocheiness aside(Just havin' fun really. The guys a good producer)

Fifa 06 plays and feels better than ANY other Fifa title before it. yes it has the same game mechanic/engine of previous vers but they did improve upon it. One quick play in training mode answers that. Fifa doesn't have the "right" ball physics. Because of this they suffer in the goal shooting department which make We9 so much more realistic in that regard. but I can't help but like what Fifa "is". It's a game that tries to atmospherically give you the game of soccer just like Seagirl said. There are niche markets for everything esp the sim and arcade of sports games. Fifa lends itself to the arcade feel while WE doesn't because it's overall gameplay mimics the sport almost completely making it more of a sim in my opinion.

I respect both developers. Microsoft knew it was important to have 2football games for the 360 and fifa is a good START.

embraceuk1 said:
Konami have got the market cornered with their game compared to fifa.
Who else releases 3 different games in japan 1 different game in europe and then waits to release an almost identicle game in america to the european one 5 months later?. Each game is relaesed throughout the year.
Why import sales

Even EA with the Madden franchise only release 2 versions 1 being just college football and these get released within weeks of each other.

Dont even suggest konami dont money grab

The only way to stop this was to everyone boycot a substandard release like WE9 but that would never happen.

Winning eleven 9 was a quick buck as will be the first releases on the XBOX 360 and PS3 as they wont have had enough time to work with the hardware and the games will just be WE10 on the ps2 with better graphics just like WE5 and Pro Evo was when released on PS2.
Ppl will argue aggaisnt this but look at history the facts dont lie its not really konamis fault Beta kits are terrible as they dont want to give away any specs to competitors.

Japan gets the normal release, then an 'addon' with the FE/LE edition. They usually release a version specifically for their domestic league as well. Everywhere else only gets one version a year. You are not meant to be playing the Japanese releases in the first place, unless you live there, so do not try and lump those games in with the single version released elsewhere, and try to put a "they give us five games a year" slant on it. They don't, they give you one and if you choose to go the extra mile and import that's up to you.

From the Japanese perspective, they get three a year. I'm more than happy enough to get the two 'World Soccer' versions every time because they're usually always worth it, the J-League I don't care much about but if you're a Japanese/Korean club fan that release is perfect. Games are also viewed differently in Japan, the amount of special editions and addons is nothing new there.

Of course Konami want to make money, every company does, but to try and put them on an even keel with EA is laughable.

ClassicD said:
Japan gets the normal release, then an 'addon' with the FE/LE edition. They usually release a version specifically for their domestic league as well. Everywhere else only gets one version a year. You are not meant to be playing the Japanese releases in the first place, unless you live there, so do not try and lump those games in with the single version released elsewhere, and try to put a "they give us five games a year" slant on it. They don't, they give you one and if you choose to go the extra mile and import that's up to you.

From the Japanese perspective, they get three a year. I'm more than happy enough to get the two 'World Soccer' versions every time because they're usually always worth it, the J-League I don't care much about but if you're a Japanese/Korean club fan that release is perfect. Games are also viewed differently in Japan, the amount of special editions and addons is nothing new there.

Of course Konami want to make money, every company does, but to try and put them on an even keel with EA is laughable.

I agree. Especially with the last line. Look how EA has gobbled up licensing for various sports. EA garnered exclusive rights to the NFL Players Association and ESPN, which basically crippled Sega's efforts at putting out a football (American) game. They swallow companies whole. As a result many of there titles now wallow in mediocrity. Sure they're flashy and more well known. Many people see the EA branding and flock to purhase them like zombies, not even aware that there are alternatives. Konami may have its faults, but I for one am glad I found out about the WE series last year. I am finely tuned in and can say that this is the best sports game I have ever played. If Konami can fine tune this game, maybe fuse together WE8LE and WE9 to create WE9LE, look out baby! :)

I bet you can't play a world cup in this years' edition of FIFA because there will come a special "World Cup"-game just like they always make a special "EC Cup " version and then there is a a CL version...seems like every year we got some obsessed lunatic who keeps on ranting untill finally he's banned...history repeats itself...quite funny actually...

I remember last WC when they did that. First they released Fifa, then shortly after they released WC2002, which wasn't much different from Fifa.

Golden Go@l said:
I agree. Especially with the last line. Look how EA has gobbled up licensing for various sports. EA garnered exclusive rights to the NFL Players Association and ESPN, which basically crippled Sega's efforts at putting out a football (American) game. They swallow companies whole. As a result many of there titles now wallow in mediocrity. Sure they're flashy and more well known. Many people see the EA branding and flock to purhase them like zombies, not even aware that there are alternatives.

What a crock of anti-EA shit. I'm no fan of EA games but to say that because they bought up licenses that it cripples all competition is risible. So SEGA's programmers suddenly lose all of their programming skills and become completely incapable of programming a decent American Football game just because they don't have licenses?

So when EA bought so many football licenses, it killed Konami's footy games?

People still have a choice. They can buy licenesd EA games but if they prefer a competitors game, they have the option to buy that, irrespective of licenses. All the competitor need do is provide an editor. It's up to each company to sell itself.

If SEGA don't make people aware of it's games, that's their problem. If people act like zombies and just buy the licensed game, ignorant of any alternatives, so what? It's their choice. Perhaps the license is all important to some people. It's not for you to tell them what they should look for in a game.

ClassicD said:

Yeh thats why they choose to release Winning Eleven 7 International with the language change option if it was a japan only game.
they quickly realised it was too much hassle and money and they know we patch the game ourselves so why bother and use the space on the DVD for other things.

Only a fool would think there was a 2-3 month gap between WE and PES because of anything but import sales and then wait until march the following year to release the same game in America come on.

Back
Top Bottom