Should clubs force players to stay?

Should players be able to pressure clubs to sell them?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

beachryan

Golden Boot Winner
4 July 2003
Bermuda
So thinking about a bit about some of the big transfer this summer, and wondering what people's views are on players v clubs interests. If a player wants to leave, what obligation does the club have to heed his wishes? If the club is forced to give in, then should they have even larger transfer clauses specified in contracts?

Obviously the Owen Hargreaves 'saga' and Ashley Cole's transfers come to mind. The former seems desperate to leave, but Bayern have basically said sit down and shut up, play your football and stop moaning. Which on one hand is fair enough, its his job, but on the other, he's been there 9 years. Cashley on the other hand...well I think most people just want him to shut up, period.

I don't think a simple yes or no can be given to this question. It's all extremely situation dependant. But generally i'm annoyed by the I want to leave attitude, while really they have years left on their million euro's contract.

Players have contract so it's not theirs decisions. Players think they're untouchable but they're not. Those who'll leave are those who doesn't split on its clubs and try to find a solution with the club and not only talking in newspapers.

Don Domenico said:
I don't think a simple yes or no can be given to this question. It's all extremely situation dependant. But generally i'm annoyed by the I want to leave attitude, while really they have years left on their million euro's contract.
Yeh exactly.

I agree.

There is no simple 'yes' or 'no' answer possible to this sorta question anyway as it's largely dependant on each particular situation and many other factors.

But in general players get to voice their opinion and choose what they want and decide things when they're extending or signing a contract!

So it's a bit silly that a player signs a big contract let's say offering him lots of money and tying down for 4 more years which the employers and board members of club have worked hard to make possible only for player to 6 months later state he wants to LEAVE!

In that case.. I think it's fair for club to say.. no **** you. You had time to think about our offer long and hard and you did and you signed it. Now you should shut up and play.

Contracts are there for a reason. Football is a job. You don't just quit your job or pressure your boss to change anything because you are unhappy.

My dear friends, i will answer you with one name: Jean Marc Bosman...
Under EU there is something like free trade for employees. If i want to leave my job for another one, nobody can stop me...same goes for professional football players who are employees like everybody else...

lol we know that Stan.

I think we all here know about the "Bosman" ruling.

Every player like an employee is free to go search for new club/employer he likes better WHEN he's out of contract meaning he's fulfilled the terms of his 'current' contract or the club has cancelled his contract or released him or both have come to agreement to cancel contract.

But what this thread is about is a different circumstance.
The question asked here is should clubs be able to force players to stay WHEN they have contract still left to fullfil (in some cases 2-3 even 4 years left!) but player wants to leave? Or should they let them go?

Players come first, if a player wants to move, the club should let him go...if i want to change jobs nobody can stop me...the same laws should apply for football clubs...

gerd said:
Players come first, if a player wants to move, the club should let him go...if i want to change jobs nobody can stop me...the same laws should apply for football clubs...

Exactly and especially if the players heart is not in it any longer. Contracts are there to keep the player from negetioting with other clubs without the employers permission. Its also there to keep the player there for a number of years but not to keep him there against his will. If that was the case the club could treat the player how they liked and the player would just have to accept since he is basically their slave until contract was ended.

Milanista said:
Contracts are there for a reason. Football is a job. You don't just quit your job or pressure your boss to change anything because you are unhappy.

Erm, so what exactly do you do if you hate your job and you're unhappy? You can always quit. You just won't get paid, and may have to pay a penalty clause.

Terminating a contract is different. A player would have to pay a large fee ... like Ortega with Fenerbahce who had to retire for a while because he couldn't afford the penalty.

Under EU legislation, i'm pretty sure Ortega would never have to pay such a large (unreasonable) pay....in the Bosman case the fact that Jean-Marc Bosman was at the end of his contract only played a minor role (and to be honest i'm not sure if he was at the end of his contract, if my memory serves me well Bosman was not at the end of his contract but FC Liège his club never selected him so he wanted to go to a minor French club but Liège asked an unreasonably high transfer fee for a player who never played...that's how it all started...surely a club would never ask a transfer fee for a player who was at the end of his contract...the free transfer which is now called a Bosman was never Jean-Marc Bosman's main issue...but i'm not entirely wrong baout that)

A player might have signed a contract but under what conditions?

There are many things happening in football, you sign a contract, and after 2 years, the coach/management that got you gets fired and you're warming the bench, because the new people in charge don't need you, but they still don't want to let you go.Would you let them do that because you signed a contract yeas ago?

I agree with alucard and gerd.If a player wants to move, its best for the team and the player to let him go, keeping unhappy players at the club messes up with the team moral.

Back
Top Bottom