Should PES move to a new Engine for PES 2021 in anticipation for NextGen Consoles?

Should PES move to a new Engine for PES 2021 in anticipation for NextGen Consoles?

• Yes, as soon as possible

• No, not yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
According to Renan Galvani:

PC version will be NextGen, on par with XBOX Series X and PS5.

I don't know what to make of it. This guy nailed things in the past, but I still take it with a pinch of salt.

I also would say PC will be Next Gen when Konami move PES to another engine. Is a most like probability. But expect Next Gen PES in 2021(PES2022).

PES 2021 will definately be on Fox Engine, don't see why they gonna switch to UE4 for the last year on 'older' consoles as XBOX ONE or PS4

Typically Konami won’t make much of an effort on year one of a new console due to the lower install base, I wouldnt expect a ps5 version of the game at all until next year, just a backwards compatible version.

in terms of new engine, does the fox engine stop them creating more realistic complex AI routines and more contextual animations? Or is it just a lack of understanding/talent in the studio?

in terms of new engine, does the fox engine stop them creating more realistic complex AI routines and more contextual animations? Or is it just a lack of understanding/talent in the studio?
It's hard to tell, but I'd imagine that the animation workflow in the Fox Engine is tailored towards Metal Gear Solid which doesn't really feature interactions between characters and objects. They should certainly be able to produce better results in terms of animations and physics when starting from scratch in another engine.

Personally, i'd love an engine change, because it's the only time it feels like we're getting a new game instead of a glorified update in footy games overall, it feels fresh and it's something i'm desperate for in these games, especially since i don't think we'll be getting a 3rd game anytime soon.

Like Impact to Ignite, Ignite to Frostbite, PES 2010 to 2011 (At least i think was a new engine), PES 2013 to FOX... Regardless if they were for the better or not, they were the most significant changes from one game to the other in the last few years.

Another reason an engine change could be nice it's cuz it brings an opportunity for a code rewrite (Like MacOS got years ago).
Right now PES reminds me of Windows 10, where i sometimes see stuff left over from Windows 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7...
However i don't think Konami would do this, they'll probably just copy and paste the code or something (I know it's more complex than that, but you get what i mean), so the most significant changes will be performance and graphics related, which could help or not.

It really depends on how much of a problem Fox is, if it's hard to program for, or at least hard to program a footy game for.
It also depends on how much of a problem Konami themselves are.
Like, are the toxic pitches in 2020 Fox's fault or Konami's fault? Are the performance issues Fox's fault or Konami's fault? I don't know.
Still, an engine change could either change nothing, or change the game for better, or for the worse, it's a mystery really, we'll only know if/when it actually happens.

I'm kinda on the same page as you @MKC .
Theoretically it could be worse but at least it's a breath of fresh air which I feel is needed.
I think they will change to Unreal 4 this year because I believe it was at the launch of PES 2018 they talked about a three year cycle, which would have come to an end with 2020. Of course, they didn't really explain what the cycle was about, but either way it's the end of some sort of strategic development process, which leaves a window open for a new one that could be implementation of a new engine (that they already worked on for mobile). Then they could move on to Unreal 5 a couple of years later.
Besides that, PES 2014 was on a new engine at the time as the last game of the PS3 generation, so if they decide to implement a new engine similarly PES 2021 would be the game to introduce a new engine as the last PES of the PS4 generation (I actually thought about getting PES 2014 the other day after seeing TTB playing it on Youtube, only to find out that it wasn't released on PS4 - I don't have a PS3).

My hope for a new engine is that it will sharpen/freshen up the game play. I feel like PES is very inconsistant; sometimes it plays great and very life like, other times it's sluggish and unrealistic (passing for example). I hope they can make it more consistanly playing good because there are real gems that pop up once in a while in terms of animations, dribbles, shots, passes, random deflections, physical battles (I could really make a great highlights reel out of this), but often I feel it's a real struggle to control both my defenders and attackers to dribble, tackle and position themselves, and every now and then I get matches where it feels like everything is just out of my control.

If they could start by making it more consistant they'd really come a long way gameplay wise, but it's still a major task to improve the game overall, as they need exstensive work put into UI/menus, adding stadiums, overhauling the tactics system, setting up teams properly, creating a believable ML experience and so on.
I don't think Konami is willing to invest in such a task, but hopefully they'll sell it off to another developer soon, as there's been rumours of them selling other titles like Silent Hill and Metal Gear.
A new developer could invest the money and personell and hopefully bring a fresh take on how the game can stand out on it's own.

If they don't sell it off I hope they at least bring in a new director as the current one (Kei Masuda?) hasn't adressed player positioning and is a proponent of the current tactics system.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKC
The poll is overwhelming!
The vast majority wants a deep change.

I'd be willing to take 1 year of transitioning to the new engine, with (another) broken game, like PES 2014 was, if it meant the next one is going to be absolutely great in every way. Wouldn't you?

The poll is overwhelming!
The vast majority wants a deep change.

I'd be willing to take 1 year of transitioning to the new engine, with (another) broken game, like PES 2014 was, if it meant the next one is going to be absolutely great in every way. Wouldn't you?

Yes i do agree with you, it's meaningless to move to new engine without taking full advantage of that move. Although I had a great expectation for this year specially after playing first demo, but unfortunately the final product wasn't within my expectations, still I have some hope with the new DLC, Konami might surprise us.

The game needs a big, but big big improve on interaction against players.
This year is horrendous the work made with it. And the referee is another thread.

Just a sample:

I´m playing against CPU and I´m Juventus. I cleared perfecly the ball and the referee decided that it was a foul.
And this one over and over again. But the AI can do worst things and nothing bro. The AI is almost inexistent to the referee.

I can handle with the same engie, but not with this again. And yes, the demo ran fucking smooth on all aspects.

I`ve read in a magazin (M!) that said said that there will be a new engine this year. I feel indifferent about it an new engine means better graphics, wich is nice but also the game already looks great and I bet they can still improve with this engine, Don`t forget that it is an altered Fox Engine they didn`t simply programed PES in to the MGS world.

What I fear is that with a new engine many things will be taken out again and then will again be slowly added over the years.

I`ve read in a magazin (M!) that said said that there will be a new engine this year. I feel indifferent about it an new engine means better graphics, wich is nice but also the game already looks great and I bet they can still improve with this engine, Don`t forget that it is an altered Fox Engine they didn`t simply programed PES in to the MGS world.

What I fear is that with a new engine many things will be taken out again and then will again be slowly added over the years.
What is there left to take out gameplay wise?! ;)
I see it positive: maybe stuff that got lost will find its way back! :PRAY:

Last edited:
I changed my vote today to Yes, at least for the next proper PES 2022.

Except for the CPU AI, some core problems of Fox Engine, started to break my nerves. And since I am radical, I feel like a change is needed.

As long as they have a complete menu revamp which looks tons more professional than the one we have now for PES2021 I would be happy enough
Engine change won’t come for PES 2021 unless they take us all by surprise

As long as they have a complete menu revamp which looks tons more professional than the one we have now for PES2021 I would be happy enough
Engine change won’t come for PES 2021 unless they take us all by surprise
If rumors are finally true, i believe we should talk about 2022pes and new engine by now.
We just miss a confirmation or a denial.

They moved pes over to the Fox engine while still on last gen consoles and that didn't turn out well, so i doubt they'll take the same risk with PES 21.

Back
Top Bottom