Sky Broadband

denirobob

IBERIAN PRIMERA
28 June 2002
Henley, Oxfordshire
Got info through on this last night - what do u think chaps ?

http://87.86.186.37/showmeskybroadband.htm

my dialup with BT has just run out (well card expired) so need to get myself with the 21st century :)

i was considering the 'Mid' option - only prob is i dont think they offer webspace (on any package)

any helps/advice greatly received by myself and the lovely to my left!

db

Whats up Db (and hello Mrs. Bond lol)?

I read about this sky broadband thing and it sounds good (and is cheap).....but if your looking for an ISP that gives you webspace (assuming you want to use it to create your ML websites & etc), then i think you should try another ISP...which you only have to an extra tenner a month (considering you want to get the "mid" one).

denirobob said:
Got info through on this last night - what do u think chaps ?

http://87.86.186.37/showmeskybroadband.htm

my dialup with BT has just run out (well card expired) so need to get myself with the 21st century :)

i was considering the 'Mid' option - only prob is i dont think they offer webspace (on any package)

any helps/advice greatly received by myself and the lovely to my left!

db
The Base, Mid and Max Package will only work if you exchange is "Easynet LLU" enabled. Hvae a look ere to see if it is: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/phoneno.php

I emailed Easynet (who will be doing the broadband for Sky, and they said mine will be enabled in September, can't wait)

I had a letter through about Sky Broadband yesterday, I can't go for the Base/Mid/Max package as my exchange hasn't got Easynet LLU enabled - the only company who are enabling LLU is fucking Carphone Whorehouse (who have their own broadband, which is cack, apparently)...... anyway I can get the Sky Connect option (through MaxDSL on BT) for £17 a month, which is significantly cheaper than what I'm paying now (and I only recently changed ISP but on monthly contract which is OK), and get a free wireless router....... think I might take up the offer. :mrgreen:

Im going for the Max option of 16mb for £10 :)

i pay £20 for 2mb so aint grumbling

"Local loop unbundling presence
Be: Not available
Bulldog: Enabled
Carphone Warehouse: RFS date set: 31/08/2006
Easynet: Enabled
Edge Telecom: Not available
HomeChoice: Not available
Node4: Enabled
Tiscali: Enabled
Wanadoo: Not available
Zen Internet: Not available"

Happy happy joy joy

This is broadband access???????? In USA it's like at least 40 dollars (maybe...hmm...around 22 pounds uk or 31 euro) for DSL line, of about 1 mb speed....if this is indeed connection speeds listed. Unless you get a bundle pack, THEN you gotta fork out around 55-60 dollars (around 30 pounds uk, or 45 euro for access!!!! And it's like 5 mb band! Of course I haven't seen prices in over a year, perhaps they've gone down now.

200_pesos said:
This is broadband access???????? In USA it's like at least 40 dollars (maybe...hmm...around 22 pounds uk or 31 euro) for DSL line, of about 1 mb speed....if this is indeed connection speeds listed. Unless you get a bundle pack, THEN you gotta fork out around 55-60 dollars (around 30 pounds uk, or 45 euro for access!!!! And it's like 5 mb band! Of course I haven't seen prices in over a year, perhaps they've gone down now.
Don't worry! :lol:
This is Sky, a satellite provider trying to compete with other companies by doing a TV, Phone and Internet package so prices are low. Most of us here are paying £17-£30 for out internet :(

I was happy with my 10mb per month for £35 through Telewest. But this sounds sweet, I just dont know when my area will get the required upgrade???Something about an extra 6 mb and getting £25 back a month sounds good to me. Although I think Telewest will change there price structure when this is all up and running.

Yep you do

but Sky is releasing there own phone line too soon

Talk about trying to corner the market

Sounds like Time Warner AOL Corp. which controls everything here. So, I use RCN! Fight the poweeeeeeer! hahaha

MrCoopz said:
Yep you do

but Sky is releasing there own phone line too soon

Talk about trying to corner the market

Good on them if they can provide all my services at a decent rate Ill be happy. :D

Sky are for sure offering Phone as well as Broadband, I got a letter through from them offering me their broadband and stating that the Phone service will also be available. Im interested in their 16mb. Im on 10mb NTL and its been quite flakey recently and im paying £37.99 a month for it!!

DJ

ashmufc said:
Sure? Any source.
I don't think they are, but prove me wrong :)

It said it either in What, TV and Widescreen or the letter i got from Sky i think

atm they have this

Sky Talk

Unlimited UK* calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for only £5.00

Sky Talk is the home phone service exclusively for Sky TV customers and - just as you'd expect from Sky - is big on value. It gives you unlimited calls to UK* landlines, day or night, weekdays and weekends for just £5.00 per month. Which means you can talk any time and save all the time.

You'll save a massive £114 a year on monthly fees, compared to BT's equivalent package BT Together Option 3.

Has anyone got Sky Broadband?? A couple of people I know have got it and say its shite. Connectivity issues, slow connection speeds etc. If any of you lot have got it, whats your exeprience been like? I was looking forward to getting this (when I get to the front of the queue!) but now I am not so sure.

I wanna go with Sky Broadband. do I have to remove my shitty wannadoo/orange broadband first.

i done a check on the Sky website and it said something about I cannot get Sky Broadband as i my current provider maybe using LLU.

what does that mean?

I was hoping i could cancel with Orange and then in 30 days i could install my Sky Broadband up straight away.

what do i need to say to Orange when cancelling? do i need the MAC code?

Last edited:
me too. got the mid package (8mb) and finding it fine, although sometimes find it it hard to log on to the sky broadband homepage but not the interweb itself.

db

I made an enquiry about Sky Broadband yesterday, having had a letter off them previously which said I could only use the £17.99 a month "Connect" package - asked the bloke on the phone if there was any idea as to when Easynet LLU would be planned for my exchange, and was told that it could be as much as six months!! :shock:

Though I hope to have moved house by then! :mrgreen:

Still going to go for the Connect package anyway, it's seven quid cheaper for 8meg than what I am paying for at the moment. I guess I'd just need to cancel my current (monthly) contract with my ISP, get the MAC and give it to Sky to proceed then. :)

How did you guys get that? I registered my interest and got told I would hear more information soon.. that was 2 months ago!!

DJ

I registered my interest about 3 months ago, I had a letter through explaining that due to the lack of Easynet LLU presence in my local telephone exchange that I could only get the Connect package. The only reason why I found out was by phoning them up, mainly because I was wanting to change my current Sky TV package to save some £'s, so, killed two birds with one stone so to speak.

I cant get either, ive been back on the website and due to me having a phone line with NTL I cant get Sky Broadband....

DJ

Sucks, i just went from BT 8MB line (was really getting 5MB best - £21) to Sky 16MB line (£10), and Sky said they can only offer 5MB max in my part of London!!! BT please update these dated exchanges!

anyone have anymore info on this im from glasgow and thinking off changing i heard it depends how close u are to server anyone shed some light....?
cheers...
John

Back
Top Bottom