Sky HD - World Cup on BBC HD

NickSCFC

Banned
18 July 2003
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Stoke City/Liverpool
www.sky.com/hd

skybox.jpg

· Sky's HDTV channel line-up will include a combination of sports, movies, entertainment and documentary programming. Full details of content and pricing will be announced in due course.

· Sky's HDTV system will support both 720p and 1080i picture formats. Broadcasters will be able to choose the format which is most appropriate to their individual requirements.

· Sky will use the advanced compression coding system MPEG-4 for its HDTV broadcasts.

· BSkyB's HDTV box will be equipped with an HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) as its primary means of connecting to an HD display. HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) will also be required to view BSkyB's HD content using an HDMI connection. HDMI can also be connected to DVI equipped displays that support HDCP using a suitable adapter cable.

· “HD Ready" is a labelling scheme that is being introduced by the TV manufacturer's organisation EICTA. The “HD Ready" logo will appear on an increasing number of TV displays in shops over the coming months. Any TV set that carries the “HD Ready" label will work with Sky's HDTV service.

Last edited:
Re: Sky HD

Still no info on how much Sky will be looking for this piece of kit tho is there?

Canal + France start the HD in April for Ligue 1 (TNT and Sat) ! i can't wait. and of course TF1 and M6 too on TNT for the World Cup

Last edited:

Sky already have HD channels, 291 is Sky One HD, 405 is Sky Sports 1 HD, and there are 2 movie channels showing HD movies. I'm just wondering who has the kit to get them? Sky say they are launching it in March I think.

There conning bastards

u pay for normal sky
then they make u pay more for sky+
then they make u pay even more for HD

and putting it up £1 every so often is nice of them too

Wankers

:) @ Coopz.

You expect them to give you the kit that records TV and the kit that gives you high-definition, for nothing? Would you give somebody something for nothing?

I'll wait and see what the pricing is, but it will probably be too expensive to begin with so I'll wait.

I dont want it for free, i just begrude paying £200+ when i payed £200 for sky plus and £100 for a standard box when they were both introduced

Shows they look after there loyal customers

Well wait for the price to drop then, I paid £49 for Sky+ with free installation! If you want to get the stuff as soon as it comes out and in turn get more use out of it before it's replaced years down the line, you gotta pay for it. It's the same deal with footy tops, you'll pay thru the nose for 'em when they come out at first but about 6 months before they're due to be replaced they're like, a fiver :).

MrCoopz said:
I dont want it for free, i just begrude paying £200+ when i payed £200 for sky plus and £100 for a standard box when they were both introduced

Shows they look after there loyal customers
You don't have to buy it, Sky will continue with the current service for a good 10 years I think, it's not like the way analogue's been cut off because converting to HD isn't as cheap or simple as just buying a set top box.

There are samples available on the Sky HD website, some national geographic stuff and some rugby.

I can see your point Classic, but I'm with Coopz in a way, it was only recently that the Sky Plus was for 49 quid for subscribers, but you had to take out a multi-room box, whereas for NEW customners it was 49 quid without having to take the Multi-room box.

If you have been subscribing to the full package from Sky for a few years, surely you should be given better incentives to upgrade, and not being slapped across the face as some new punter comes along and gets it the full kit for less! You could compare it to games etc, i.e. a new one comes out, it costs 35 quid, yet in a years time its 15 quid, but they are providing a service.

Sky are in the service providing industry, except for so many they are the only choice, i.e. no other satelite broadcaster and not everyone can get cable. They have a monopoly on us, and well Joe Subscriber will have to accept it, I know he's been paying over 500 quid a year, but sure let him pay that, I see Peter Non-subscriber there, he can have the new kit for less!!! But it's maybe a whole new 500 quid coming in!!!!

Stringer Bell said:
Has anyone here watched HD tv? What does it look like?

And is it even worth getting?
yes i have had it for five years in the states, remember when you saw your first dvd, well imagine it looking 5 times better then that, the clarity and colors are so unreal... i think its worth it..

Thats US, they might use high bitrates to broadcast.
In UK Sky use really poor bitrates to show their things, even on premium channels. On a CRT tv this isnt noticable, but on HD-res TV you can clearly tell you are being given crap feeds. And for HD, maybe at the beging we will get nice HD quality, and then as more people get it, they will decrease bitrates.

I heard this is happening in USA, were originally they released very high bitrate versions.

Anyway as for HD material, its very nice. I have tons of HD films weighing inbetween 10gb-30gb and they are amazing :)

Found this and it's actually cheaper than I thought it'd be if this is correct.

UKHDTV.net said:
The Sky HD box will set you back £299 and then there will be a monthly subscription of £9.99 for the HD channels. It will be based on the Sky+ system and you will need two satellite feeds for it to work. You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the HD box as the current Sky+ box is not compatible. This means you will need to pay an extra £9.99 a month on top of your normal subscription to recieve the channels. As far as I am aware for this price you will receive all the HD channels although the pricing structure may change.

Source: UKHDTV.net

ashmufc said:
Thats US, they might use high bitrates to broadcast.
In UK Sky use really poor bitrates to show their things, even on premium channels. On a CRT tv this isnt noticable, but on HD-res TV you can clearly tell you are being given crap feeds. And for HD, maybe at the beging we will get nice HD quality, and then as more people get it, they will decrease bitrates.

I heard this is happening in USA, were originally they released very high bitrate versions.

Anyway as for HD material, its very nice. I have tons of HD films weighing inbetween 10gb-30gb and they are amazing :)
bitrates vary by channel and provider here in the US, I can get HD from sattelite, cable company, or verizon FIOS. Each has different bitrates on different channels. So it really varies. I dont think a slower bitrates is going to give you bad quality, maybe some pixilisation, but still far superior to Standard definition.

Well sky have finally gave us some info on skyhd and we can now pre-order :)

£299 for the box

£10 a month subscription

Free installation

The only downside is unless you have Sky sports 1+2 you don't get Sky Sports HD, and unless you have sky Movies 1+2 you don't get the 2 Sky movies HD channels. Plus they still make make you pay the £10...thats pretty wank if you don't already subscribe to them channels.

Source: http://www.sky.com/hd

Installation will start in May, no exact date has been given though. So should be good to go for the WC!!

Yeh pubs with England world cup matches in HD would defintely draw more punters I reckon.

so is it the same as the sky+ deal then?

if u have a premium package u get the £10 knocked off or do u have to pay the £10?

You have to pay the £10 p/m regardless of whether you have all the premuim packages or none of them. So if you have none of them you missout on Sky sports and the 2 sky movie HD channels but still pay the same price....scandalous if you ask me.

You will miss out on the WC in HD!
I might as well get one, after spending more than 2k on the HDTV, my pap must some money left LOL!

Not if I go to the pub!

For the amount of channels they're going to be showing in HD initially, it's not worth 300 quid IMO, especially when you add another tenner a month to your Sky sub.

When the price drops or more channels become available, then I'll invest.

Back
Top Bottom