Benfica Thread

SPiTFiRE

Eusébio forever
6 April 2004
SL Benfica
SL Benfica

UEFA club competition milestones
• Benfica have a rich history in European football's premier club competition, twice winning the European Champion Clubs' Cup and five times being runners-up. The Portuguese giants first won the trophy in 1961, defeating FC Barcelona 3-2, before defending their title the following season with a 5-3 victory against Real Madrid CF.

• Losing finalists in 1963, 1965, 1968, 1988 and 1990, since the creation of the UEFA Champions League, Benfica have twice reached the last eight, losing to Barcelona in 2005/06 and AC Milan in 1994/95. They also enjoyed a run to the final of the UEFA Cup in 1983, losing out to RSC Anderlecht 2-1 over two legs.

UEFA club competition honours
• European Champion Clubs' Cup: 1960/61, 1961/62

Ten-year record (including current season)
• Their appearance in the UEFA Champions League this season is Benfica's fourth in succession, although this is only the third time they have gone beyond the third qualifying round in the last ten years. This season, Benfica booked their place in the group stage thanks to a 4-1 defeat of FK Austria Wien.

1997/98: UEFA Cup - first round
1998/99: UEFA Champions League - group stage
1999/00: UEFA Cup - round of 32
2000/01: UEFA Cup - first round
2001/02: Did not compete in UEFA club competition
2002/03: Did not compete in UEFA club competition
2003/04: UEFA Cup - fourth round (having transferred from the UEFA Champions League, third qualifying round)
2004/05: UEFA Cup - round of 32 (having transferred from the UEFA Champions League, third qualifying round)
2005/06: UEFA Champions League - quarter-finals
2006/07: UEFA Champions League - group stage

2005/06 season
Domestic record: Although they could only finish third in the Portuguese Liga in the defence of their title, 12 points behind winners FC Porto and five adrift of Lisbon rivals Sporting Club de Portugal, it was still enough to earn Benfica a place in the third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League.

European record: Although it was a disappointing season on the domestic front for Benfica, they enjoyed success on the European stage by making it through the group stage of the UEFA Champions League for the first time since 1994/95. A 2-1 victory on Matchday 6 against Manchester United sealed second place in their pool and a Round of 16 encounter against Liverpool FC in the first knockout round. Putting the holders out 3-0 on aggregate, Benfica's run would eventually come to an end at the quarter-final stage with a 2-0 aggregate defeat at the hands of eventual winners FC Barcelona.

Key facts
• Benfica have played a total of 280 games in UEFA club competition. They had won 134, drawn 68 and lost 78, scoring 483 goals and conceding 295.

• The Portuguese club have played 169 times in the European Champion Clubs' Cup, winning 82, drawing 40 and losing 47. They had scored 313 goals and conceded 174. In the UEFA Champions League (group stage to final) it reads: played 25, won nine, drawn ten, lost six, scored 25 goals and conceded 23.

Records
UEFA club competition
• Biggest win
10-0: SL Benfica v CS Stade Dudelange
05.10.1965, 1965/66 European Champion Clubs' Cup, preliminary round, second leg

• Biggest home win
10-0: SL Benfica v CS Stade Dudelange (see above for details)

• Biggest away win
0-8: CS Stade Dudelange v SL Benfica
30.09.1965, 1965/66 European Champion Clubs' Cup, preliminary round, first leg

• Heaviest defeat
7-0: RC Celta da Vigo v SL Benfica
25.11.1999, 1999/2000 UEFA Cup third round, first leg

• Heaviest home defeat
1-5: SL Benfica v Manchester United FC
09.03.1966, 1965/66 European Champion Clubs' Cup, quarter-finals, second leg

• Heaviest away defeat
7-0: RC Celta da Vigo v SL Benfica (see above for details)

UEFA Champions League (group stage to final only)
• Biggest win
0-2: Liverpool FC v SL Benfica
08.03.2006, 2004/05 UEFA Champions League, first knockout round, second leg
3-1: SL Benfica v RSC Anderlecht.
28.09.1994, 1994/95 UEFA Champions League, group stage

• Biggest home win
3-1: SL Benfica v RSC Anderlecht (see above for details)

• Biggest away win
0-2: Liverpool FC v SL Benfica (see above for details)

• Heaviest defeat
2-0: FC Barcelona v SL Benfica
05.04.2006, 2005/06 UEFA Champions League, quarter-finals, second leg
2-0: HJK Helsinki v SL Benfica
21.10.1998, 1998/99 UEFA Champions League, group stage
2-0: AC Milan v SL Benfica
01.03.1995, 1994/95 UEFA Champions League, quarter-finals, first leg

• Heaviest home defeat
0-1: SL Benfica v Villarreal CF
02.11.2005, 2005/06 UEFA Champions League, group stage

• Heaviest away defeat
2-0: FC Barcelona v SL Benfica (see above for details)
2-0: HJK Helsinki v SL Benfica (see above for details)
2-0: AC Milan v SL Benfica (see above for details)

Last edited:
chazychaz said:
José Castelo Branco

AHAHAHAH... ah I'm remember... you are in 3th rigth? and... We don't lose with a turkish witch don't have name in UEFA CUP...

and don't forget, we are the biggest clube in Portugal and a Historic of Europe, we have two UEFA Champions League and your Sporting S*** Lisbon?

Parkin09 said:
make this thread english and maybe you might get some more chat :D

Oki... here go:

After the exit of José António Camacho for Real Madrid, a great expectation in return of a new coach is generated. The letters are turned for Scolari(for now said not) and for Luiz Fernandez. The question is following...

which will be the next coach to head to the stadium of the Luz?

José Castelo Branco

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That is the anser a GAY, for a Gay club, a gay coach...Nuno Gomes il love

getimage.asp

Where are the "6 million" supporters posting in this thread? ;)

The next Benfica coach will be a foreign dummy so José Veiga can puppet him as he please.

This kind of crap happens only in Benfica... Jose Veiga in 1988 was leader of FC Porto cell in Louxemburg, and opened a bottle of champagne to party Benfica's defeat in Champions Cup final against PSV.

Today he is President of Benfica Futebol SAD. :D

I thought Benfica had a good season, they finished 2nd in the Portuguese League (i think they did), which isnt bad but ideally they need to finish top - they might this year. Also theyre in the Qualifiers for the Champions League, I hope they get through to the proper stages this time, they did q.well in the UEFA Cup so its possible if they get lucky and dont have hard opposition (when is the draw made ?). Watching them in the UEFA Cup its clear Benfica play great attacking football and the Inter match was a joy to watch. Ive never seen Sporting Lisbon play so cant really comment on them, but I have to say I prefer Benfica's approach play to Porto. Porto did well last season but I was a bit dissapointed with their very defensive attitude, it did work as they won the CL, but its a shame a team with players like Deco, McCarthy etc played defensively.

What happened to Boavista by the way? They were the one of the best teams in Portugal a few years ago... now theyre hopeless?

Anyway I hope Benfica get into the champions league... imagine a group like this :-

Roma
Werder Bremen
Benfica
Paris SG.

That would be a group of teams that play great football!

I heard something about Sven G. Ericsson moving to SL Benfica after the euro cup. True? Don't know yet

Also Pires has said his family was built in majority by SL Benfica supporters and it would be interresting for him to sign in that club. Not this year, maybe, but in the future, who knows? How long is it until his contract expires with the arse?

[quote="SPiTFiRE[NN]
AHAHAHAH... ah I'm remember... you are in 3th rigth? and... We don't lose with a turkish witch don't have name in UEFA CUP.[/quote]

you talking about genclerbirligi? mate, this is a young fresh team with great offensive football.im sure they would have kicked benficas ass, too, last season ;)

blackburn
sporting
parma
valencia (won first match, lost rematch after extra time)

against valencia, the winner of UEFA CUP :D

My guess is that Benfica's future coach will be Gerard Houllier or Otto Rehhagel.
And I hope that Rehhagel will be the chosen, cause he is doing a superb job with Greece in Portugal. He as proven that he studies de oposite team to the slightest detail, and knows how to put the players in field, just look at what he did with a group of players that nobody knew (at least a big part of the players).

So i'm hoping Otto Rehhagel to be Benfica's future coach.

i dunno wat coach we will sign for this season, but im very pesimistic for this season if we continued wit camacho maybe we could have a chance,
but now... i dunno with veiga goin to benfica , Tiago already said he wants to leave cause of him, viana said no cause of veiga being in benfica...
and then the signings.. we signed 6 player or so from a club that was relegated from the 1st , wat for to loan them ? or to server some kind of interests..? i dunno veiga said he would sign 5 *stars* for this season im still waitin..
we keep buying +players for positions we r not in need of?
we have for example rocha, argel, alcides, luisao as center backs, and we still talk that we wanna hire couto?... wat for?
we need a Left BACk and an ofensive midfielder.... and i dont see rumours of any players of this positions to come to benfica..
i just up that in the end of the season i eat my words and we finish as champions but as it is i see no hope... no coach, no stability no coherent strategy of sgning new players i dunno..

fsimas said:
My guess is that Benfica's future coach will be Gerard Houllier or Otto Rehhagel.
And I hope that Rehhagel will be the chosen, cause he is doing a superb job with Greece in Portugal. He as proven that he studies de oposite team to the slightest detail, and knows how to put the players in field, just look at what he did with a group of players that nobody knew (at least a big part of the players).

So i'm hoping Otto Rehhagel to be Benfica's future coach.

that would be great but for most big clubs in portugal specially benfica the coaches genereally dont stay ahead of a club for 3 years... as reagal is with greece, i dunno wat ppl expect to do if we change coaches every 2 years or so.....
take for example camacho, he was in benfica for 2 years and in the 2 years almost or none of our good players left the club and i could clearly see a steady progress in team performance along the 2 year, we played more as a team, and less of individualism, there was a great team spirit inside the locker room we even won a cup :)
but now he is gone and some shady character were signed for the club so i dunno i think i will wait to see.

Mauras said:
Where are the "6 million" supporters posting in this thread? ;)

The next Benfica coach will be a foreign dummy so José Veiga can puppet him as he please.

This kind of crap happens only in Benfica... Jose Veiga in 1988 was leader of FC Porto cell in Louxemburg, and opened a bottle of champagne to party Benfica's defeat in Champions Cup final against PSV.

Today he is President of Benfica Futebol SAD. :D

mauras nao queres q 6 milhoes de benfiquistas venham aqui postar pois nao :) ? se viessem o site ia a baixo e a gente nao quer isso, por isso é q eu tive a falar ontem com os 6 milhoe e pedi pa nao virem todos :)
nepia era so uma joke mas como sabes nao há 6 milhoes de pessoas em portugal com internet .. :)
e uma larga quantidade de simpatizantes do benfica saoos caministas pedreiros trolhas pescadores e afins ou seja muitos deles podem nao ter capacidades financeiras pa ter um PC e uma ligação á net, mas caga nisso :)
somos muitos é o q interessa. :D

em relação ao veiga és bem capaz de ter razão eu tb nao tou muito confiante com a vinda dele, mas olha tenho q me sujeitar e esperar pa ver...

the new coach is Trappatoni... he will do well.

it will be a mainly Italian battle in the Portuguese League next seaon with Del Neri at Porto and Trappa at Benfica, I dont know who it is at Sporting Lisbon or Boavista. No team outside of those 4 will win the league in our lifetimes.

Well, I was hoping that Rehhagel would be Benfica's new coach, but I think Trapattoni is a good option too, after seeing is career as a coach... well, he just won everything, soo he can't be bad.
Despite Italy didn't pass the group phase, they didn´t lose any game and they didn't pass only because of the "agreement" betwen Sweden and Denmark. :twisted:

I hope that with Trapa we return to victories and be able win the chapionship.

Also the press talks about the coming of Andrei Kariaka, left winger of the russian teem does anybody now if he his a good player?
Because I don't remember seeing him in this Euro.

well, i think it's a very wise decision. Finally we will see what was missing on our team.....some good defense system! (i hope..)
as we all know he is a great coach..and we hope that he can show his value, and make a competitive eurpean team. if not this year, maybe the next one. we all have to be patient now...

Trapattoni is an excelent choice...you'll see!!!

And that Karyaka thing is just another rumour...i don't thing he has the quality to play in Benfica (or maybe he does) but we don't really need more wingers...Carlitos plays great on the left side too.

We just need one more central back (not F.Couto), one left defender and another ofensive midfielder (a really good one)...maybe a deadly striker too but the young Manuel Curto as enormous potential...

Don't worry...we'll have some good surprises in the next few days ;)

and don't forget...Mantorras is back!!! :twisted:

Rui Costa said hes staying with Milan.

Trappatoni is your new coach... i think its decent as hes better as a club coach than international. Experience.

I don't know about Rui Costa...I'm a big fan of his as player and as a man but he's 32-33 years old now...our priority for his place must be a much younger player...and cheaper too. I'm 100% sure that his will is to come back but having Veiga on our board doesn't seem to help...but don't come tell me he prefers to stay in Milan...sorry but that just isn't true! Rui Costa is crazy for Benfica! Although he likes Milan too...like myself. ;)

Funny fact:

Trappatonni played in the european champions cup final of 1963 against Benfica...we first scored after Eusebio passed through the defender Trapattoni and when we were winning 1-0, Trappatoni tackled and injured Coluna (The Monster) who was our captain and heart of the team...after that they were able to beat us for 2-1

41 years later... :twisted:

Soundtracker said:
I don't know about Rui Costa...I'm a big fan of his as player and as a man but he's 32-33 years old now...our priority for his place must be a much younger player...and cheaper too. I'm 100% sure that his will is to come back but having Veiga on our board doesn't seem to help...but don't come tell me he prefers to stay in Milan...sorry but that just isn't true! Rui Costa is crazy for Benfica! Although he likes Milan too...like myself. ;)

Funny fact:

Trappatonni played in the european champions cup final of 1963 against Benfica...we first scored after Eusebio passed through the defender Trapattoni and when we were winning 1-0, Trappatoni tackled and injured Coluna (The Monster) who was our captain and heart of the team...after that they were able to beat us for 2-1

41 years later... :twisted:

I agree with what you say about Rui, id actually like him to go to Fiorentina for this season then go to Benfica for his last year. He can play with the 2 teams that made him famous.

im a incondicional suporter of rui costa but if doesnt comes to play this year to benfica , than i dont want him here nomore as a player, i dont to have him play here just cause he is old and hVE NO MORE CLUB TO +PLAY SO HE COMES HERE WEN HE HAS 35 OR 36 YEARS CAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE PL WILL PAY HIM to play.
he has won CL serie A, i think italian cup also, why he stays in mil,an still to colect more cash? doesbt he have enough?
bahh

Back
Top Bottom