So, the Xbox HD DVD is out very soon...

ben.franklin

Non-League
12 January 2003
.... According to DVD Active, it's out on the 24th November, for an RRP of £129.99. That sounds like a bargain to me, compared to the costs of the standalone players.

But is anyone going to buy it? I'm VERY tempted.... ;)

Microsoft could be onto a winner with this. £129 seems to be a very attractive price for those who have already invested in a 360.

The problem is that MS haven't set up a significant 360 userbase. Those wanting to purchase a new games console and want movies may just go for the all in one PS3 package instead.

But then again, the PS3 is most likely gonna go in short supply this winter and it's coming to Europe in March - a lot of people will want to see HD movie action this Christmas.

I think ill wait some time before going HD where DVD is concerned, I didnt get standard DVD for a while.

DJ

No Rune, it connects to your TV VIA the Xbox 360....

No we wont be able to use HDMI as the 360 doesnt support that.

DJ

Isnt it possible to just make a HDMI cable for the X360?
Not that I really care cuz I want to leave my HDMI port free for the PS3 while the X360 uses the VGA port and the Wii can have the component one.

Not sure mate because I think HDMI works in a special way with Encryption and such like.

DJ

Did the last XBOX 360 Live update (or the one before) not add HDMI support? I'm sure I read that somewhere three or four times. Could have misread it though.

djdoc360 said:
No Rune, it connects to your TV VIA the Xbox 360....

No we wont be able to use HDMI as the 360 doesnt support that.

DJ
Thats not confirmed, the 360 will could connect to the HD player, the HD drive to the TV, so it is possible the HD player will have HDMI (the 360 does the processing bit), I have a feeling the player won't have HDMI as microsoft have not mentioned it in any news releases, but here's hoping

Last edited:
They denied that they would be making an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360 as apparently Hardware changes to the motherboard would need to take place so that it could use HDMI... Thats what I heard some time ago when the 1st mention of the 360 vs HDMI.

DJ

Money grabbing cunts is all i can say

they should have had this in from the start but want to get more money out of people

I agree they should have used a HD-DVD drive inside the console from the beginning.

DJ

MrCoopz said:
Money grabbing cunts is all i can say

they should have had this in from the start but want to get more money out of people
MicroSoft make no money off of the hardware AFAIK. I think they are selling this to get people to buy into HD-DVD, a format they are heavily involved with.

That's why MicroSoft can afford to sell this for half the cost of a stand alone player IMO.

Plus, it would have made the 360 console more expensive, when only a small percentage of 360 owners would actually use it.

Back
Top Bottom