Sonic the Hedgehog (demo)

Sonic was CRAP back in the day anyway, who needs one in 2006/7? Mario was/is a far better game . . .

There were a few people at school\college who LOVED Sonic and said Mario was "way too slow and boring". Personally I think they must have had ecstacy tablets coming out of their ears to be able to play Sonic at the speed it ran at...

Jack Bauer said:
There were a few people at school\college who LOVED Sonic and said Mario was "way too slow and boring". Personally I think they must have had ecstacy tablets coming out of their ears to be able to play Sonic at the speed it ran at...

:lol: That reminds me of the day that the Super NES came out. My grandad bought it for me in Toys R US and when I got home all of my 'friends' chanted "SEGA! SEGA! SEGA!" because they were jealous (even though I had a Megadrive, which I thought was SHIT).

Two weeks later they all owned SNES's.

Seriously, I tell you one thing about this demo - they should have stopped making Sonic games a long long ago...

DJ

Ok this joke can go on for too long....

I will say this though I did endeavour to download the demo, played it for 5 mins and thought "What the fuck have they done? this is nothing like the good things Sonic Team gave us before!"

DJ

El Diego said:
Sonic was CRAP back in the day anyway, who needs one in 2006/7? Mario was/is a far better game . . .
Nah mate care to explain why Sonic was crap back in the day? I think it was better than Mario because it Advanced! Mario was 100% the same from Mario 1 to 2 and 3, same powerups, same enemies same everything...

Sonic introduced new puzzles and enemies and powerups in almost every outing! Sonic for me was a far more interesting game and only Sonic 2 Disappointed me with the removal of Hidden Palace Zone which would have been a great level!

DJ

(Reminds me of the good ol' days of Sega/Nintendo fanboyism..)

Fancy graphics yes (as well as funky music) but otherwise Sonic had nothing on Mario in terms of playability.

(Slightly off topic but does anyone remember the magazine "Mean Machines" here in the UK? I remember them splitting up to "Mean Machines Sega" and a nintendo equivalent....the fanboyism shite they used to come up with was hilarious!)

My comparisons with Sonic and Mario are thus.

Sonic 1 was good - Mario 1 was also good
Sonic 2 was excellent - Mario 2 was abosolute Wank
Sonic 3 & Knuckles was excellent when you had the 2 together - Mario 3 was ok.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
Nah mate care to explain why Sonic was crap back in the day? I think it was better than Mario because it Advanced! Mario was 100% the same from Mario 1 to 2 and 3, same powerups, same enemies same everything...

Sonic introduced new puzzles and enemies and powerups in almost every outing! Sonic for me was a far more interesting game and only Sonic 2 Disappointed me with the removal of Hidden Palace Zone which would have been a great level!

DJ

djdoc360 said:
My comparisons with Sonic and Mario are thus.

Sonic 1 was good - Mario 1 was also good
Sonic 2 was excellent - Mario 2 was abosolute Wank
Sonic 3 & Knuckles was excellent when you had the 2 together - Mario 3 was ok.

DJ

No wonder you're liking FIFA so much.

By the way, why the hell are you comparing Megadrive games with NES games?

Compare the Sonics with Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island. -Oh yeah, you can't, there's no comparasion, Nintendo's games were way better.

Im comparing them because get this... they are the same Genre!! Platform games? anyone heard of them??!!

Its the same as us comparing FIFA to Pro Evo is it not? regardless as to what console its on...

I still cant see how people can say "Oh Mario was tonnes better" for starters Mario World was a very 'Childish' game and got on my nerves most of the time where as Sonic Games were more challenging and could suit most audiences.

Anyway back on topic the new Sonic's/Marios are awful games. The last Sonic game I liked was Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast and the last Mario game I played was Mario Land 2 Golden Coins on Gameboy because that was a reasonable game.

DJ

airjoca said:
No wonder you're liking FIFA so much.
What an earth does this have to do with my liking of Old School Sonic games over Mario?

Ill tell you something does the words "I like different games" mean anything to you? Im sick of Pro Evo's on Rails and same old CPU cheating that we face every year. Im glad EA has made something reasonable this year... I mean you have to actually play something thats like real football when you turn the assitance off.... ever played real footbal? possibly not if you think its all on rails...

DJ

FIFA on Megadrive was better. I gotta say, they should have stopped making FIFA games a long long time ago.

DJ

Sorry gone off topic :oops:

Mario 3 was one of the best games ever in it's day - Sonic was run, jump, run, run, jump (using ONE button). Rubbish games.

djdoc360 said:
Im comparing them because get this... they are the same Genre!! Platform games? anyone heard of them??!!

Same genre but a lot of years apart yeah? It's the same as comparing Half Life and Doom. They're the same genre, but only a ton of years apart.

Or comparing PES5 with FIFA 99 or something. Same genre...

Not exactly tonnes of years apart.... Mario was run jump, jump up to a block. use a fire ball and flying power up and that was about it...

Sonic was Spin Dashing, Jumping, Running and running extremely fast at times, playing through interesting level layouts Oh and not forgetting Super Sonic which added a really cool feature to the game and was worth collecting all the emeralds for. You could have a simple shield, Fire Shield plus the ability to boom across the screen like a fireball (Sonic 3 & Knuckles) An electric shield which attracted rings and allowed you to jump a bit higher with an electric shock and a water shield. More features than Mario games.

Mario 3 was the best old skool Mario game I agree but I still felt Sonic was a better game than this even though Mario did have a lot more levels.

DJ

EVERYONE knows Mario was a far deeper game than Sonic. I completed Sonic 1 in a few hours on release day, Mario 3 kept me busy for MONTHS.

@djdoc360

If i'm not mistaken, Sonic 2 already came out after Super Mario World. So it's more fair to compare Sonic and SMW.

I'm beginning to think you didn't play Super Mario World, or Yoshi's Island for that matter.

This debate has decades on it, i thought by now everyone would have some sense... "It'sa mi, Mario" is king. ;)

I played Mario World, got fed up with it and as I said found it very childish and not exactly very inspiring. I found Sonic 2 to be excellent. Interesting Level Layouts and good powerups and generally a good game which I still play now to this day. The only thing I didnt like about Sonic 2 was the fact they had to drop some good levels from the Prototype which would have been excellent in the final game had they made it.

DJ

A hedgehog running around at the speed of light trying to save his animal friends is mature? :D

At least our chubby plumber is trying to save a princess... ;)

Yeah Sonic wasn't aimed at a younger audience at all:

Flying egg-men, cutsie bunny rabbits, collecting rings and running around fairgrounds.

Sniff sniff - I smell a SEGA Megadrive fan-boy nearby. :lol:

Mario is the daddy of platform games. Fact.

Nintendo went on to sucessfully translate that into 3D, Sega couldn't. Fact.

These debates are rather pointless, but we do them anyway to express our indiduality in taste, have fun and kill some time. Fact.

I love you all anyway. Fact?

:D;)

Sonic's arch-nemesis Doctor Robotnik makes Jack Bauer look skinny. Fact. :lol:

You know, even the die-hard FIFA07 fans on this forum should admit they're just hangin around here (evo-web) waiting for someone to start a «PES6 is "out"» thread...

El Diego said:

No thanks. PEZ?

Last edited:
El Diego said:
Yeah Sonic wasn't aimed at a younger audience at all:

Flying egg-men, cutsie bunny rabbits, collecting rings and running around fairgrounds.

Sniff sniff - I smell a SEGA Megadrive fan-boy nearby. :lol:
I was no MegaDrive Fanboy mate! I enjoyed both consoles but for me I found Sonic games more interesting/entertaining than Mario ones. Believe it or not I did have a Super Nintendo as well same as Xbox and PS2 I had both of them as well.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom