Sony PlayStation 4

You can play games directly off an external hard drive, if that is what you are asking. Moving games between disks takes A while, but as far as I can tell, they play fine.
Yes you are correct. That was exaclty my question. If the game from ex-HDD are playable, or the loading times will be like the coping/moving times.

Not sure about loading times but you can probably find info on that online. I do tend to keep my most played and most cherished games on the internal drive, but I think it is a mostly pointless precaution, I have not noticed any differences when playing off the external drive.

Ok, despite the fever is on PS5 now, i have a genuine question on PS4 remote play. Trying to play with my PSvita, i have some ping, playable though, around 120~200ms. games like card games, turned based RPGs are playable. Games like PES and FIFA are unplayable.
When trying to remote play from my smartphone, a value for money new HUAWEI, especially when i laucnh fmy secondary profile, so i can play with my DS4, i have around 500ms ping, making all games unplayable, and even impossible to browse through the PS menu even.
And i want ot ask, does the problem relate to my hardware, or it is dependant on the distance between my device and PS4, or my internet router+device+PS4. I am trying to make a workaround to make it playable.

Ok, despite the fever is on PS5 now, i have a genuine question on PS4 remote play. Trying to play with my PSvita, i have some ping, playable though, around 120~200ms. games like card games, turned based RPGs are playable. Games like PES and FIFA are unplayable.
When trying to remote play from my smartphone, a value for money new HUAWEI, especially when i laucnh fmy secondary profile, so i can play with my DS4, i have around 500ms ping, making all games unplayable, and even impossible to browse through the PS menu even.
And i want ot ask, does the problem relate to my hardware, or it is dependant on the distance between my device and PS4, or my internet router+device+PS4. I am trying to make a workaround to make it playable.

The answer to that lies in between both options you've pondered because both hardware configurations/specifications and distance will impact your experience using remote play (or any other game streaming application with similar funcionality)

The best option here is to remove from the equation things that limit your connection... Like having the PS4 connected using an ethernet cable (if you're not already using it that way) to your router since you can't for obvious reasons do the same with your Vita or your smartphone.

You might want to check the possibily of opening ports on your router (or maybe have your PS4 on DMZ) so traffic sent to/from isn't limited by a firewall.

More questions here. My ps4pro disk is full and I came up to get an external USB disk, having it permanent for PS4 so I wanna ask after reading some PS4 forums.

Can I use an external HDD USB 2.0 I have already? Does it work?
Or Should I buy a new USB 3.0 external HDD as it is recommended by Sony?
Additionally does it worth to go an extra mile and buy an external SSD for the quickest loading times? Is it viable in ps4?

And after that being in action: Let's talk Bout my GTA V. I have it installed in ps4 console hdd. If I enable to use external disk as storage destination from now on, my next GTA V update will go automatically to its default position with the old data on HDD, or will it go to the new destination external disk messing the data?

I think you will need a blue usb one, so probably USB 3. I highly doubt an SSD will give you enough boost in loading to be worth the money. I don't notice any difference playing games from my system or the usb. You might want to future proof for PS5 but it might not even be compatible with all SSDs, if it will even allow for external drives, so you are probably better off finding a semi cheap hdd.

An update would surely go to the same place as the downloaded game. It is after all directly altering the data already downloaded. If something like this could cause problems we would have heard of it by now.

Additionally does it worth to go an extra mile and buy an external SSD for the quickest loading times? Is it viable in ps4?

I think you should go for the USB 3.0. If you have the 2.0 laying around you can try it but I think then you will notice some difference in speed (however it should still work).
As I understand it loading times for a SSD are not really worth it vs price. I'd recommend getting a 1TB HDD external for 50-60$ vs a SSD 2x the price

More questions here. My ps4pro disk is full and I came up to get an external USB disk, having it permanent for PS4 so I wanna ask after reading some PS4 forums.

And after that being in action: Let's talk Bout my GTA V. I have it installed in ps4 console hdd. If I enable to use external disk as storage destination from now on, my next GTA V update will go automatically to its default position with the old data on HDD, or will it go to the new destination external disk messing the data?
yep, i follow advising getting a cheap external 3.1 harddrive.
SSD i would install inside only... but save your money and just expand the storage externaly. dont forget to hook it up to the back usb port (not the front ones)!

Last edited:
Woah! What's the difference? I have mine hooked to the front as I only have one controller. What's the difference with the back? Faster usb?
well, afaik its only the voltage that differs. PS4 Pro should feature 3x 3.1 ports (2 at the front, one at the back). PS4 regular features usb 3.0 afaik. some harddrives only work properly when they have enough voltage... at least that was a prob in the past. could be that modern external drives (3.1 ones) dont have that problem anymore.
my nerdy knowledge is saying: usb 3.0 up to 5GB/s data rate, usb 3.1 up to 10GB/s data rate.

well, afaik its only the voltage that differs. PS4 Pro should feature 3x 3.1 ports (2 at the front, one at the back). PS4 regular features usb 3.0 afaik. some harddrives only work properly when they have enough voltage... at least that was a prob in the past. could be that modern external drives (3.1 ones) dont have that problem anymore.
my nerdy knowledge is saying: usb 3.0 up to 5GB/s data rate, usb 3.1 up to 10GB/s data rate.

Oh ok, I have the regular PS4.. so Im guessing its ok to leave in the front then. hadnt really noticed any difference vs the loading times in the enclosed HDD anyway.

plus you can use that driver later on another console or as a backup drive for computer stuff...
Of course, but as i understood from PS blog, you must format it for each use. I mean as long as you are using it for PS4 storage, you cannot use it to PC simultaneously. And from the instrucion videos, it says that you must format it in PS4 , when you plug it for first time.
But at general it is a decent investment. ;)

Of course, but as i understood from PS blog, you must format it for each use. I mean as long as you are using it for PS4 storage, you cannot use it to PC simultaneously. And from the instrucion videos, it says that you must format it in PS4 , when you plug it for first time.
But at general it is a decent investment. ;)
Correct!

Since there is not an others sports game topic, i post it here. Seems a new Handball game labeled HANDBALL 21 is ready to launch on PS4/XboxONE/Steam on November (2020).Let's hope it will be better than Handball 17 and Spike Volleyball (ps4), which were at a ps2 quality level.

Back
Top Bottom