Release date: tba
Price: tba

Hardware lineup:
ps5-group-hardware-image-block-01-en-11jun20

Controller:
DualSense

49747503557_566da5ebc1wjxq.jpg

49747502797_ba4ef2697mrkk7.jpg

“DualSense marks a radical departure from our previous controller offerings and captures just how strongly we feel about making a generational leap with PS5. The new controller, along with the many innovative features in PS5, will be transformative for games – continuing our mission at PlayStation to push the boundaries of play, now and in the future. To the PlayStation community, I truly want to thank you for sharing this exciting journey with us as we head toward PS5’s launch in Holiday 2020. We look forward to sharing more information about PS5, including the console design, in the coming months.”
– Jim Ryan, President & CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment
additional information on the offical playstation blog website: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...w-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/

PS5 hardware reveal trailer:

DS wireless controller trailer:

Future of gaming show June 11, 2020:

Initial teaser:
EXCLUSIVE: WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SONY'S NEXT-GEN PLAYSTATION
Sony and Microsoft both extended the current console generation via a mid-cycle refresh, with the Xbox One and PlayStation 4spawning mini-sequels (the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro). “The key question,” Cerny says, “is whether the console adds another layer to the sorts of experiences you already have access to, or if it allows for fundamental changes in what a game can be.”

The answer, in this case, is the latter. It’s why we’re sitting here, secreted away in a conference room at Sony’s headquarters in Foster City, California, where Cerny is finally detailing the inner workings of the as-yet-unnamed console that will replace the PS4.
The answer, in this case, is the latter.

The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.

The AMD chip also includes a custom unit for 3D audio that Cerny thinks will redefine what sound can do in a videogame.

To demonstrate, Cerny fires up a PS4 Pro playing Spider-Man, a 2018 PS4 exclusive that he worked on alongside Insomniac Games. (He’s not just an systems architect; Cerny created arcade classic Marble Madness when he was all of 19 and was heavily involved with PlayStation and PS2 franchises like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Ratchet and Clank.) On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact.

That’s just one consequence of an SSD.

At the moment, Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

(While the next-gen console will support 8K graphics, TVs that deliver it are few and far between, so we’re using a 4K TV.)

As you’ve noticed, this is all hardware talk. Cerny isn’t ready to chat about services or other features, let alone games and price, and neither is anyone at Sony. Nor will you hear much about the console at E3 in June—for the first time, Sony won’t be holding a keynote at the annual games show.
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Last edited:
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Director On Purge Trooper Creation And The Game's Era
Fans of the Star Wars universe have been waiting for a new video game for far too long. Aside from the Battlefront series, there hasn't been anything for the fandom to sink their teeth into. However, on November 15, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Ordercomes to PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The series follows Cal Kestis, a padawan who survived Palpatine's Order 66 in Revenge of the Sith, who is learning how to become a Jedi while escaping the clutches of the Empire.

While the panel for the reveal was a bit tight-lipped on specifics on the game, since we're still seven months from release, GameSpot spoke to Stig Asmussen, the game director at Respawn Entertainment on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and Steve Blank, the director of franchise content and strategy in the Lucasfilm's story group, about the upcoming game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-director-on-purge-troo/1100-6466265/

I didnt understand any of that computer talk, but backwards compatibility is da bomb.
Hated the way they did ps4. I've so many ps3 games that are just lying there covered in dust.
Now "just" need to change console and can still finish Witcher3 one day! ;)

Backwards compatibility's only thing I want from next gen made by Sony because of many exclusive games will be released this year. Also use SSD replace HDD sound good, don't care about 8k also 3D audio. 1080p with 60fps enough for me with console.

Release date rumoured to be 2020 - So most likely Christmas 2020 for UK.

Spec wise seems pretty impressive using a 3rd Gen Ryzen processor and latest AMD Graphics, but also means the initial launch console could run very hot and be as loud/if not louder than the PRO.
This is a massive step up from current gen who thought it would be a good idea to use 2 year old MID Range GFX Cards at launch, and Netbook processors.

About time they started using an SSD, this will make load times much more bearable.
To give an idea F1 2018 on Xbox One X takes what seems like an age to load a race (about 1m 30s), on PC it loads the race in about 3-4 seconds - You will be able to expect the timings with the new console.

I don't know why they are stating Raytracing and 8K Gaming, 4K gaming only just became a possibility on PC, and they expect a console using what I will assume MID-Range next gen AMD cards to be able to do Ray Tracing and potentially 8K.

Judging by the specs, and assuming they are going to be using Lower End/Mid Range Ryzen Processor and probably a NAVI 10 GPU card equivalent to an Nvidia 2070, I would expect the console to launch at £450 - £500.

This is just my opinion and could be well off, but I don't expect them to use a high processor but anything other than a Navi 10 GPU would be a mistake.
You not only have to let current games run acceptably, but you need future games to offer more.

* Graphics performance is still rumoured - Since no benchmarks are currently available, some sites are suggesting the new AMD cards will be equivalent to a 2070, whilst some are suggesting 2060/1080 performance.
If the latter is true then 4K @60FPS doesn't look likely.

Last edited:
  • Staff
I'm reading 8K as "we'll let you play 8K Netflix titles when they're available", not "games will be 8K".

If you can't get 4K games running at 60fps now... I don't think you'll manage it with 8K, no matter how much more powerful it is.

The early PS3 and PS4's had serious issues. I remember that they lasted just over a year before they were broken in my case. That is no way to treat early adapters. Might wait a few months now, but then again, i will not as push comes to shovel...

The early PS3 and PS4's had serious issues. I remember that they lasted just over a year before they were broken in my case. That is no way to treat early adapters. Might wait a few months now, but then again, i will not as push comes to shovel...
were did you buy!? in germany you have a 2 year warrenty and its possible to expand that warrenty to 5 years and more (handles stuff that you broke!).
anyway. i bought my PS4 Pro day one and had not a single issue. the ds4 is fine too (some rubber missing but thats ok). the usb cable is fine as well.
while we are at it: i never ever had a broken cable in my life! :D i must be lucky!

I am surprised how many people think backwards compatibility is such a big/must have feature.

It is nice to think you can replay old games - but who actually does?

Plenty of people do. If PS Now had a decent line up I would be a year round subscriber. I let my PS3 go back in the day because it got me a bit of funds for the PS4 and I really don't want a pile of consoles under my TV. Then there are the countless back catalog games on PS4 I have barely touched. Won't hurt to throw some faster loading times in those as an even bigger incentive to get back in there.

I am surprised how many people think backwards compatibility is such a big/must have feature.

It is nice to think you can replay old games - but who actually does?
I've thought that for years - then with the Xbox One X, I've spent more time finishing Oblivion (still not finished it) and playing original games that have since been remastered instead of buying the remaster (e.g. Skyrim, Burnout Paradise) than I have playing brand new releases. So I guess my gaming habits have changed...

I imagine I won't get around to playing Witcher 3 until we're on the next gen.

I imagine I won't get around to playing Witcher 3 until we're on the next gen.

Surely you have the mere 200 hours needed to play through that? although that may not be an accurate number, I went over 400 hours.
Another game to dip into on PS5 with faster loads.

Last edited:
One thing though, the name PS5 looks dumb on paper and can easily be vandalised to look like PiS5. I an pretty sure they will go for a name change, what do you think?

I imagine I won't get around to playing Witcher 3 until we're on the next gen
One of the games Im only 40hrs in. Not even half way through. And I intend to finish it.
There's few more, but Witcher3 is a biggie.
If ps4 had the option Id be replaying Red Dead and finishing few others.
Pile of consoles is just not practical. My ps3 is buried somewhere in the closet, even Ps4 I bought Slim version just to save some space. So backwards compatibility is very big thing to me.

winter season 2020 i say! :D

reg. your last sentence: man, please, dont start that nonesense debate, i beg ya pal! ;)

There is nothing wrong with mid range PC tech at the moment.
You will be able to run games in equivalent of ultra settings in full 1080 HD @60FPS.
And HIGH settings in 4K @30FPS, but most importantly actual native 4K, rather than the checkerbox and other cheats they use mainly on the PS4 to get the games to 4K now.

Either way the next gen machines will be an absolute massive step up from the current gen - Especially PS4 and Pro.
Be a slight step up from the One X, but will have a much better CPU - As the current consoles use Netbook processors.

I will pre-order a PS5, as personally I prefer the PS4 UI compared to the Xbox which is just a slow mess.
And the much better exclusives.

* Also though these are still all rumours, but if the graphics card is correct then I expect 2060/2070 performance from the next gen machines - Which for £500 is worth the money.
I am only worried they use the lower end of the new AMD chips to cut costs and we end up with 1050/1060 performance.
I know people probably don't think like I do, but I would rather spend an extra £100-£150 on a console for it to be much more powerful, than Sony and Microsoft to skimp on spec.

Last edited:
What about your PS4 game saves?
If you've got PS Plus you'll pull them from the cloud on the PS5, I'm sure.

For actual installed game data - i.e. PES, when you install option file images they go into game storage as opposed to save data - I doubt you'll be able to transfer that. So your option files etc. will need reimporting.

We all know SSDs are the future. We could achieve something similar on the PS4 Pro with an SSD installed, so I find that video really annoying.

We all know SSDs are the future. We could achieve something similar on the PS4 Pro with an SSD installed, so I find that video really annoying.

I doubt the PS4 could do that with an SSD installed, the processor just isn't good enough - But then I am sceptical about the load speeds on the PS5, unless they have put high end Ryzen's in the development kit.
The problem with the video is the stopping and starting, unless it is actually genuinely stopping to load the next part of the map, but even the PS4 doesn't look like it has frame rate issues with the video speeding through.

The video just stinks of PR, until AMD have actual released benchmarks of the new processors and graphics card we will not know what is actually capable from the PS5.

But at the moment it does look like it will be able to run games in proper 4K @30FPS.
Not this fake 4K which is currently being done by the PS4 Pro.

However I believe the future of gaming is definitely in cloud gaming.
I have a shield and recently got on the Geforce Beta and as long as you have the game on your Steam account you can play it on any device.. You can even use the software on any old laptop with a controller and you will be playing a game on the equivalent of a high end PC.
What I have played is flawless, and IMO is the way forward.
The other benefit is the servers will constantly be upgraded, so the games and performance will constantly be upgraded and improved.

The PS5 and Xbox Two will be the last consoles as we know it ever released.

Confirmed now at Computex.

PS5 will be using a PCIe 4.0 bus for the SSD.
Theoritically these are much quicker than the current NVMe SSD's on the market, however I am not sure what the reality will be as although NVMe are faster than standard SATA SSD's, you can barely notice the difference.

With the AMD releasing the majority of PS5 equipment in July, we will have a much better understanding of what the PS5 and Xbox 2 are capable of, as I expect both to have the same or very similar hardware.

Initial thoughts are though it will be equivelant to a 2700 and have the i3 equivalent of the Ryzen processor.

Which your talking processor power wise around a 400 - 800% performance jump compared to current PS4.
Graphics wise you will be looking at a 400% increase in graphics performance compared to the PS4 not PRO.
This is looking at current benchmarks of what is in the PS4 compared to what they are expecting to be the current PC equivalent.

Last edited:
PS5 will be using a PCIe 4.0 bus for the SSD.
Theoritically these are much quicker than the current NVMe SSD's on the market, however I am not sure what the reality will be as although NVMe are faster than standard SATA SSD's, you can barely notice the difference.

Yeah not much difference as far as I'm aware in gaming, difference is more apparent in moving large files. I guess installing games would be significantly quicker then?

First PlayStation 5 Benchmark Just Leaked
Sony revealed in April that the PlayStation 5 will use the latest AMD CPU and GPU technology. The PlayStation 5 is expected to be powerful. Full specs have not been revealed so we still did not know how powerful it’s going to be. However, it looks like this is about to change as the very first PS5 benchmark may have just leaked on Twitter. This benchmark is a courtesy of Tum_Apisak, who is well known by a PC community for leaking PC parts codes and benchmarks. He has access to a CPU and GPU database where benchmarks are being stored and this is how he stumbled upon a Gonzalo APU Fire Strike benchmark. Gonzalo is rumored to be a PS5 SoC and which was also leaked by Tum_Apisak. This is an engineering sample of the APU so the results are subject to change as usual with prototypes.

fatal-enigma-1.jpg

https://lordsofgaming.net/2019/06/first-playstation-5-benchmark-just-leaked/

Edit:

Back
Top Bottom