Sony PlayStation

Have to say I'm more than happy with a PS4 Pro + 1080p set-up. 4k/60fps may be objectively better in the numbers game, but I'll be damned if I am going to go 4k until I absolutely have to. Like, it being literally the only way I can view/play content.

I'm sensitive to frame rate (not everybody is, as has been proven) but a solid 30fps in certain titles absolutely fine by me. If a PS5 were to support 60fps at 1080p for certain titles then I'll have all that I want there too.

Have to say I'm more than happy with a PS4 Pro + 1080p set-up. 4k/60fps may be objectively better in the numbers game, but I'll be damned if I am going to go 4k until I absolutely have to. Like, it being literally the only way I can view/play content.

I'm sensitive to frame rate (not everybody is, as has been proven) but a solid 30fps in certain titles absolutely fine by me. If a PS5 were to support 60fps at 1080p for certain titles then I'll have all that I want there too.
Hopefully it should be able to play all games 1440p60 at least. Or at least have every game give us the option of locked 60 or 30, and maybe an extra dynamic option for future hardware to take advantage of it and push it to the max settings.

The image below is just an artist rendition of the leaked patent for the new PS5 Development Unit.
The actual unit will not look like this, but I do fully expect the new consoles to be pretty big, as cooling the new CPU and GPU will require pretty large fans.

playstation-5-770x508.jpg

The image below is just an artist rendition of the leaked patent for the new PS5 Development Unit.
The actual unit will not look like this, but I do fully expect the new consoles to be pretty big, as cooling the new CPU and GPU will require pretty large fans.

playstation-5-770x508.jpg
If it's as noisy as the PS4 Pro, I'm not getting one.

If it's as noisy as the PS4 Pro, I'm not getting one.

I expect they will be quite noisy, especially the initial launch models.
People will moan about my next comment - But Sony do seem to spend less and cut corners on cooling a device compared to Microsoft, so would expect the new Xbox to be the quieter of the two.

I expect they will be quite noisy, especially the initial launch models.
People will moan about my next comment - But Sony do seem to spend less and cut corners on cooling a device compared to Microsoft, so would expect the new Xbox to be the quieter of the two.
Why would people moan about your comment? It's true. Look at the build quality of the X compared to the Pro. I own both and X is a far superior machine.

Sony's efforts always feel a little slapdash. I love the PS4's library of games though. I hope they nail the PS5 but I'm sceptical.

I can't see Sony making the same mistake with the PS5 cooling system.

My Pro is fairly quiet if I take it out of my tv unit, though it's not an ideal solution. In regards to the X it is a superior build, but lets not forget it is £100 more and came out a year later, plus it never made a huge difference to console sales either for MS.

I can't see Sony making the same mistake with the PS5 cooling system.

My Pro is fairly quiet if I take it out of my tv unit, though it's not an ideal solution. In regards to the X it is a superior build, but lets not forget it is £100 more and came out a year later, plus it never made a huge difference to console sales either for MS.

You only had to remove yours from the TV unit?
To not hear mine I had to sit on the runway at Heathrow.

But Microsoft done a proper good job with the Xbox One X, the machine is silent and I am pretty certain they will use the same cooling system in the Xbox.

72XX series Pro's are whisper quiet compared to 71XX's. The 72xx model came out with Red Dead Redemption 2 and has had a couple of revisions since. I have a more recent 72XX and can confirm that folk who have been saying PES 2020 has caused loud fan noise just doesn't happen on the 72XX.

Not much to report, just what is expected.
Comes out Christmas next year and will have a new version of the dualshock controller.

Will certainly pre-order one though as soon as they are available on Amazon.
This article mentions 2 main additions to the new DualShock controller.
The wired article goes more into detail about the console itself:
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

Listened to the video at work, and basically just discussed what is already known.

Only thing I hope they are wrong about is the SSD being on board, as 1TB for the next gen is only going to allow 10-15 games being installed.
Red Dead 2 on PC is going to be a 150GB install, although extreme in a couple of years 100GB is going to be the norm for games.
So would be good if after a year, you could just remove the lid and install a new 2TB SSD for extra storage.

Listened to the video at work, and basically just discussed what is already known.

Only thing I hope they are wrong about is the SSD being on board, as 1TB for the next gen is only going to allow 10-15 games being installed.
Red Dead 2 on PC is going to be a 150GB install, although extreme in a couple of years 100GB is going to be the norm for games.
So would be good if after a year, you could just remove the lid and install a new 2TB SSD for extra storage.
It’s not known yet how Sony will come up with file system and software side of things. Who says games will get bigger?! Let’s see how that works together with what type of ssd and so on...
to many unknown variables for now to conclude something, I guess. We can predict though! ;)

It’s not known yet how Sony will come up with file system and software side of things. Who says games will get bigger?! Let’s see how that works together with what type of ssd and so on...
to many unknown variables for now to conclude something, I guess. We can predict though! ;)

I suspect they will put the SSD on the motherboard as will give better performance in theory.
But there is absolutely nothing stopping them from putting an M2 slot on the motherboard for additional storage if required.

I know I am speculating about game sizes, but there are some games out there requiring huge data these days.
These are all PC sizes and will give a better idea of next gen storage required.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 150GB (I am 99% certain Red Dead 2 will be re-released for next gen, just as GTA 5 was. They apparently have improved all the textures for the PC version + greater draw distances - The PC version of Red Dead will no doubt appear on the PS5)
New Star Wars - 55GB
Call of Duty Inifinite Warfare - 70GB

Many others are over 50GB, and Cyber Punk will probably be 80GB+ also, and games will only get bigger - Although I am hoping that the next gen will allow developers to improve AI and physics as they will no longer be restricted by a CPU designed for a Netbook.

I could be wrong, but 1TB will not last long and 2TB is too costly and will put the price of the machine up too much.

But then how much are people willing to pay for a next gen console.
Personally if they get the specs right would happily pay up to £500, as would rather have a few better components and pay £100 more than have another PS4 where they used 2 year old mid-range PC tech and a netbook processor.

Last edited:
Id spent up to 599 euro, like I’d did with the ps3. But I bet it’s 499 retail. Maybe even 399. edit: when I think about it, 399 is too cheap. I’d go 499!
When they put up around 400 duplicates of data for Spiderman (for example) to shorten loading times (and we still had to walk towards the experiment room to hide those loading times)... that’s not gonna be needed with ssd.
And then there is the question of being able to add an external drive... does make sense in some way but could be a bottle neck of data.
Maybe they can “archive” games external and bring a solution that copies over data to ssd while playing. A lot of possibilities here.
Thing is: it’s complicated, as we are only guessing....
But I like the discussion. :)

Last edited:
PS5 and Xbox Series X GPU specs leak: how powerful is next-gen?
And can the new info be trusted?
A remarkable story unfolded last April where it seemed that an intrepid explorer of the 3DMark benchmark database stumbled upon preliminary testing for a new gaming processor from AMD dubbed 'Gonzalo' - almost certainly a codename for work-in-progress PlayStation 5 silicon. The notion of a PC benchmark database yielding top secret information about an upcoming next-gen console seems implausible - but further leaks over the last few days not only back up the Gonzalo story but also deliver new details about the graphics core of the new machine. On top of that, the leak also contains tantalising hints about the technical make-up of the Xbox Series X GPU too.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...laystation-5-xbox-series-x-spec-leak-analysed

Edit:

Well looking at benchmarks.
30FPS on high settings 4K should be achievable and easily 60FPS in HD.

But the main thing for me is getting away from HD's, I hated my Xbox One X and how long it took to boot and load a game.

That just looks fake af. Sony wont venture away from their style like micro. And of course the controller is the same. Its easier to get an old radio than fake a controller.

Glad they're keeping the logo and name consistent, but yeah is a bit funny when you see them present the "new" logo. :D

Since getting the PS4 Pro I've moved over to the PC gaming side of things, but PlayStation has some pretty solid exclusives so pretty exciting stuff!

Back
Top Bottom