Sony PlayStation

When playing last of us in 1080p.
It did still get loud in places, but in general was alot quieter and the fan didn't rev up half as much.

In 4K the game was constant and rarely took a break from being full throttle.
So that’s a field report?! If so, Thanks man!

For the last couple of month I’ll be using my headphones. Not too long now...

@Chris Davies
Have you tried using noise cancelling headphones?

I use them when vaccuming and it works pretty well. Mine are in ears - over ears might work even better...
The girlfriend wanted to play along (swapping the controller back and forth) so not the perfect solution, but possibly the only realistic one!

That being said:

I [...] changed the resolution down to 1080p.
On 4K, the opening scene of the first game - the curtains flapping in the breeze - caused the PS4 Pro to immediately overheat and reach top noise levels.

On 1080p it's really quiet so far. (After five minutes of me leaving it on during that scene.) Yet to venture into gameplay... So thanks for this tip!

Absolute joke to have to do it, but here we are...

I think I'll buy TLOU2, Cyberpunk etc. after the release of the PS5. What I'm reading in here is too sad. Lower the resolution to reduce the noise is truly unbelievable.

I think I'll buy TLOU2, Cyberpunk etc. after the release of the PS5. What I'm reading in here is too sad. Lower the resolution to reduce the noise is truly unbelievable.
Yeah. Me too!
There is only one last game I’m getting for PS4 and that’s Mafia. everything else, like TLOUpartII or CP2077, I’ll play on PS5. Not too long now so... easy summer, then awesome Christmas! :D

Plus, I have a couple of “carry over games”! RDR2 needs to be finished with better gfx, GTAV the same, I hope Elite Dangerous is getting an update as well, Snow Runner, Wreckfest...

Last edited:
Have to check what model my Pro is, playing TLOU2 at 4k and it's silent (well I don't have the TV overly loud and I can't hear the console at least).

My PS4 Pro is the Red Dead Model - Which is apparently the quiet one.
I also took mine apart and replaced the generic thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly.

I think with the PS4 Pro, it doesn't matter what unit you get, you either get lucky or you don't.

My PS4 Pro is the Red Dead Model - Which is apparently the quiet one.
I also took mine apart and replaced the generic thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly.
Really? Blimey, according to Digital Foundry the Red Model is quieter, and the model after that is quieter again. Clearly it doesn't really matter, it's just luck, like you say. Really puts me off buying a PS5.

Last edited:
Yeah good lineup however NBA 2k20 servers are pretty woeful at times never mind a massive influx of players coming.
Will totally fry the servers and likely be unplayable online for next month or two.

Yeah good lineup however NBA 2k20 servers are pretty woeful at times never mind a massive influx of players coming.
Will totally fry the servers and likely be unplayable online for next month or two.
I’m mostly interested in the singleplayer experience so it’s ok for me.
@Cesc Fabregas : yeah, I had those month too. ;) better month coming for sure!

So my PS4 Pro is the CUH-7116B version, playing TLOU2 earlier and when I took my earphones out whilst playing I couldn't hear the PS4 at all, maybe my fans aren't spinning around at all ;)

Rumors say PS5 price will be 499U$ for the normal ps5, 399U$ for the digital one. I think that makes sense and seems like accurate pricing estimates. Im sitting out next gen until later in the life of the console, probably around when digital drops to 199U$. Unless something really blows my mind

Edit: saw a report that some games might launch with a 69.99U$ price tag as opposed to the 59.99U$ of current gen... thats a bit steep

Last edited:
DiRT 5 PS5 Has Option For 120FPS, DualSense Controller ‘Is Great’ Says Dev
Codemasters has revealed that the upcoming DiRT 5 will have an option for a silky-smooth 120FPS on the PS5.

https://www.psu.com/news/dirt-5-ps5-120-fps-dualsense/

edit:
DIRT 5 – All Car Classes Revealed: Rock Bouncers, Sprint Cars and More
Up until now we’ve given you a glimpse at the incredible cars you’ll have the keys to in DIRT 5, promising a vehicle selection that’s all about variety and action, including some machines you’ve never seen the likes of in a DIRT title. Today, it’s time to dive a little deeper into all that goodness!

Closer to launch we’ll have a full list of every car in DIRT 5, but let’s not wait until then to show you every car class you’ll find in our amplified off-road racer. You ready? Let’s take a walk through an extreme off-road showroom…

http://blog.codemasters.com/communi...-revealed-rock-bouncers-sprint-cars-and-more/

Looks like new releases will be more expensive (which I don't mind, to be honest - if they're worth it and truly develop each year)...

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2020/07/02/nba-2k21-will-cost-65-on-ps5-and-xbox-series-x
Complimenting that...

IDG: Other publishers are considering raising game prices for PS5 and Xbox Series X
Cost of development has increased between 200% and 300% while game prices have remained flat
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...raising-game-prices-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x

And fitting the topic...

Are video games too long? | Podcast
The GamesIndustry.biz team comments on the debate sparked by former PlayStation exec Shawn Layden
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-29-are-video-games-too-long-podcast

Last edited:
Complimenting that...

Are video games too long? | Podcast
The GamesIndustry.biz team comments on the debate sparked by former PlayStation exec Shawn Layden
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-29-are-video-games-too-long-podcast

Originally you had Jason Schreier's tweet instead of this link - but a guy replied to him and I have to say, I feel exactly the same:

I don't WANT games to be shorter, but I think, for me personally to ever finish them, they NEED to be. (For me.)

In my opinion,if they charge you 60 or even 70 bucks like it will probably be the case with next gen,then the game should have at least a 25-30 hours gameplay story.
For me personally the longer the better.As long as it gives you variety and many different things to explore and to do and not just filling up the space with the same repetitive meaningless shit just to be able to say that the game is long.

Also i'm pretty sure that these mega CEO's who are complaining about long games and that they cost too much for the companies,are still getting their multi million bonuses each year on their private bank accounts..Maybe they should start giving some more money to the actual game developers if they care so much..

Look at Resident Evil 3 for example.It was 60 bucks for a 5-6 hour game.That's a joke.I surely wouldn't want that model and plan to be followed and being the norm.

Originally you had Jason Schreier's tweet instead of this link - but a guy replied to him and I have to say, I feel exactly the same:

I don't WANT games to be shorter, but I think, for me personally to ever finish them, they NEED to be. (For me.)
Yeah. Time is rare these days.
So I wouldn’t mind a couple of good „more linear open world“ games in the future. I’m satisfied with a whole gen of bigger and bigger worlds.

For the price: id pay 70-80 bucks a game! Prices have been the same for ages. It’s ok for me if the content delivers.

Mmm I dont get it. would this apply to pc games as well? What would be the advantage of a 70$ ps5 2k21 game vs a 60$ 2k21 pc one?

Me personally I'm skeptical to think for a 10$ increase Means it get additional/better content. I call BS. Companies will charge extra and still deliver mediocre games... You think a 70$ fifa or pes would be any different?

PS5 Official Cover
090720192216_0.jpg

Here is an eternal question, i do not remember if i asked in the past here, or in another forum. I think the PC guys are the most experienced to answer, but everyone that knows is welcome.

Is it better to play console PS4,PS5 or XboX or whatever. in a passable TV or in a gaming monitor? I plan to migrate my console inside my house and i am really wondering if i should go, for a value for money TV or i should buy a gaming monitor, as i do not watch any TV, except for the main TV in the living room.

Note: In the past,wherever i asked, they suggested me that a decent TV is better than a gaming monitor due to lower input lag. But i saw a video today on Youtube, and the Youtuber suggested that many times the input lag times are marketing gigs, like a cheap monitor with 5ms input lag is worse than an expensive monitor with higher performance and higher input lag ~10ms. He said someting about G to G, or Black to White, things i have zero clue about... :(

P.S.: Basically i had in mind to go for a cheap monitor, below 100,00€, while my wife suggests to go for another TV just in case. The problem is for a non-shitty TV between 24~32'' you need already more than 120,00€.

For instance i found monitors like this LG in the image below, starting from 92€ here in Greece. But i really wonder if it worths, or better go for a TV. THe use i will do is PS4 and Switch now and possibly PS5 in the future. Sorry fot the details being in greek, the number about specs are almost clear i hope.

Attachments

• LGmonitor.jpg
    LGmonitor.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
my 2 cents: depends on the tech inside. most of the good gaming monitors will have better response times (when tv start from 20ms). i can say, i wouldnt notice a difference between 4, 20 or 50ms response time. most monitors for gaming will have more hz!

id like to play on a better screen as well (doesnt matter if console or computer)! but i sure never wanna play sitting in an office chair, at a desk, looking at 32inch max!!!! NEVER EVER AGAIN!!

i really do like a bigger picture and i really do like sitting in a comfy armchair. well, might be some users have armchais in front of their office desk... but i dont know anyone who does! ;) anyway, i have no office, no office desk... so i use my TV.

its the comfort part that i like a lot!
ps: hooked my new computer to my 55inch TV too! 55"/4k/60/hdr... all good here! :D
pps: and i have the feeling, that this gen is finally using my TV (wich i bought in 2017) to the full potential. finally. so no need to by a new one. this is roughly planned for the PS6 (i tend to own a TV for around 10 years) and makes more sense for me!

Last edited:
my 2 cents: depends on the tech inside. most of the good gaming monitors will have better response times (when tv start from 20ms). i can say, i wouldnt notice a difference between 4, 20 or 50ms response time. most monitors for gaming will have more hz!

id like to play on a better screen as well (doesnt matter if console or computer)! but i sure never wanna play sitting in an office chair, at a desk, looking at 32inch max!!!! NEVER EVER AGAIN!!

i really do like a bigger picture and i really do like sitting in a comfy armchair. well, might be some users have armchais in front of their office desk... but i dont know anyone who does! ;) anyway, i have no office, no office desk... so i use my TV.

its the comfort part that i like a lot!
ps: hooked my new computer to my 55inch TV too! 55"/4k/60/hdr... all good here! :D
pps: and i have the feeling, that this gen is finally using my TV (wich i bought in 2017) to the full potential. finally. so no need to by a new one. this is roughly planned for the PS6 (i tend to own a TV for around 10 years) and makes more sense for me!
So suggestion is a TV by you? The armchair part confused me a little dude! :D You can still play in monitor and shit in an armchair, i mean, right?!! :P
I also thing i will not notice any differnce among those values 10-20-30ms.

Back
Top Bottom