Sony PlayStation

SSD stats have been released for PCIe 4.0

Read and write speeds are 15,000 MBs

That is 3 times faster than current NVMe devices.
No real world benchmarks have been released yet to see if they actually make a difference.

I also take the GPU benchmarks with a pinch of salt without knowing which benchmark software has been used.
Although going by the score the Vega 64 and 1080 are very closely matched, like the scores suggest.
But on the other hand in real world tests the 2070 beats the Vega 64 in pretty much every benchmark.
So it appears the benchmark test used is AMD friendly - Like they always are when releasing new chips.

I still think the PS5 will have a 2070 equivalent as any lower and what's the point..

Last edited:
Fair enough.
3D mark is always used for benchmarking.
Although would rather see real world benchmarks than synthetic tests.

Sony's PS5 Strategy: Aim to Please Hardcore Gamers, Focus on Exclusives and Big Publishers
In for the kill
With the PlayStation 5 -- or whatever it ends up being called -- supposedly launching late next year, Sony will be in the process of defining its approach to the next console generation. A detailed Wall Street Journal report gives some insight into how this approach is taking shape, and it sounds like Sony wants a clear focus on hardcore, dedicated gamers.

At a recent company meeting, Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida apparently called the PS5 a "niche product", with the device being primed -- at least initially -- for the hardcore gaming market. It's clear that Sony wants to lock down that audience as quickly as possible, and to do that, the Japanese giant will place an emphasis on continuing to build relationships with the industry's biggest publishers, while also producing high quality, PlayStation exclusive games.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...gamers_focus_on_exclusives_and_big_publishers

I only hope that they build a system with the CPU and GFX power to compete with an upper middle class PC, and they can do it for around £500.

The PS4 and Xbox One were such a massive disappointment and so under powered at launch.

I am sure we won't have the same situation and mid-cycle upgrades.

The early signs are promising in regards to system power and 4K gaming @30FPS is what they are aiming for.

I only hope that they build a system with the CPU and GFX power to compete with an upper middle class PC, and they can do it for around £500.

The PS4 and Xbox One were such a massive disappointment and so under powered at launch.

I am sure we won't have the same situation and mid-cycle upgrades.

The early signs are promising in regards to system power and 4K gaming @30FPS is what they are aiming for.
499 euro is my pick too!
i dont think the ps4 is a massive disappointment. at least not to me and a lot of folks i know. love my pro too, wich i bought after my ps4.
yeah, mid cycle upgrades are not coming this gen, i think.
from my guts: more 8k/30 and 4k/60! ;)

499 euro is my pick too!
i dont think the ps4 is a massive disappointment. at least not to me and a lot of folks i know. love my pro too, wich i bought after my ps4.
yeah, mid cycle upgrades are not coming this gen, i think.
from my guts: more 8k/30 and 4k/60! ;)

Looking at the early specs of the GPU, 4K 60FPS will not be achievable unless they run the graphics at a lower setting.
Plus consoles have never run @60FPS, 4K games will run on the equivalent on High PC settings with the aim to provide 30FPS.

I only call the PS4 a massive disappointment as it contained a processor that is found in £100 notebooks and a GFX card which was MID range 2 years previous, so was the system was seriously out of date and underpowered at launch.
I don't think the PS5 and new Xbox will get it wrong this time around and on launch I would expect the consoles to be able to compete graphically with an Upper Mid range PC. (equivalent of an i5 with a 2060/2070 GPU).

I am still waiting for GPU benchmarks of the latest AMD cards which are out this month, and when they are released you will see just how good the PS5/Xbox will be, but 4K gaming at HIGH/Ultra settings @30FPS will very much be achievable.
The PS4 at the moment is equivalent of PC low/medium settings @HD, so for people who don't own a PC, the difference will be absolutely huge.

Looking at the early specs of the GPU, 4K 60FPS will not be achievable unless they run the graphics at a lower setting.
Plus consoles have never run @60FPS, 4K games will run on the equivalent on High PC settings with the aim to provide 30FPS.

I only call the PS4 a massive disappointment as it contained a processor that is found in £100 notebooks and a GFX card which was MID range 2 years previous, so was the system was seriously out of date and underpowered at launch.
I don't think the PS5 and new Xbox will get it wrong this time around and on launch I would expect the consoles to be able to compete graphically with an Upper Mid range PC. (equivalent of an i5 with a 2060/2070 GPU).
earth to @bsmaff ! :D no 60fps games on consoles!? really!? sorry, you are wrong here mate!!

you might compare hardware alone! good for you. i look at the software! and damn, there is some beautifull stuff out there. and man, there is 60fps titles out there! and man, there is 4k-ish (cb) resolution you wont see a huge difference when watched from the "correct" distance (to real 4k)!

;)

The majority of games on consoles have always been 30FPS, the amount of games running @60FPS on consoles is incredibly small.
i'm just answering to what you said!
consoles have never run @60FPS

i feel this is getting into a "battle"-discussion! i dont want to be right or some like this. i can take it when i'm wrong and admit it. we better just leave it here.
i think you know hardware stuff better than i do! but we are coming from totally different directions... kind of! :D when you compare specs you tend to forget what "special sauce" sony and ms have up his sleeves (you know what i mean)!
catering good software for XX million different computers is a different thing then building software for ONE system that is always the same! even better when hard and software come from the same source (see sony exclusives for example)! same with apple, iphone wise, in comparison (it just works so lovely)!
all good buddy! :BYE:

earth to @bsmaff ! :D no 60fps games on consoles!? really!? sorry, you are wrong here mate!!

you might compare hardware alone! good for you. i look at the software! and damn, there is some beautifull stuff out there. and man, there is 60fps titles out there! and man, there is 4k-ish (cb) resolution you wont see a huge difference when watched from the "correct" distance (to real 4k)!

;)

After Googling for the answers the following run @60FPS.

Flower
Journey
FIFA
Battlefield 4, but @900p and not even 1080.
Metal Gear Solid V
Outlast
Star Wars Battlefront - But again restricted to 900p
Rocket League
Last of Us - Enhanced edition - But this is expected as PS3 game.

So yes your not all games are restricted to 30FPS.

But the main thing is the next generation will again have the majority of games restricted to 30FPS, but they will be able to be played in 4K HIGH/Ultra settings with Ray Tracing.
The difference for current gen gamers will be huge.

After Googling for the answers the following run @60FPS.

Flower
Journey
FIFA
Battlefield 4, but @900p and not even 1080.
Metal Gear Solid V
Outlast
Star Wars Battlefront - But again restricted to 900p
Rocket League
Last of Us - Enhanced edition - But this is expected as PS3 game.

So yes your not all games are restricted to 30FPS.

But the main thing is the next generation will again have the majority of games restricted to 30FPS, but they will be able to be played in 4K HIGH/Ultra settings with Ray Tracing.
The difference for current gen gamers will be huge.
edit: looks like i just cant let it go! :ANGEL:

Exclusive 1080p/60fps PS4 Games
Blacklight: Retribution
FlOw
Flower
Grand Turismo Sport (*****)
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Lego Harry Potter Collection
MLB 14: The Show
Nights of Azure***
Primal carnage:Extinction
Resogun (*****)
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
Sword art online lost song
Tearaway Unfolded
The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition
Wipeout : Omega Collection
Yakuza Kiwami - NYR

Remastered PS4 Games 1080P/60fps

Call of duty modern warfare: Remastered
Dark Souls 1 : Remastered
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round:Remastered
Dead Rising : Remastered
God of War III Remastered (*****)
Gravity Rush : Remastered
Journey
Metro Last light Redux (*****)
Resident Evil 6 (*****)
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 4 (*****)
The Last of Us: Remastered (Can choose 30fps or 60 fps)(*****1880p nearly-locked 60fps)
Uncharted : The Nathan Drake Collection
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered

Cross-platform 1080p/60fps PS4 games

Battleborn
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Borderlands 2
Bioshock: The collection
Call of Duty: Advanced warfare
Call of Duty: Black ops 3
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (*****)(Dynamic Resolution 1660p-Native 4K)
Child of light
Dark Souls 2
Darksiders : Warmastered edition
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (*****)
Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (*****)
Dirt Rally
Don't Starve
Doom
Dragon Ball FighterZ(*****)
Dragonball Xenoverse 2
Dragon Quest Builders(*****)
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes II
F1 2015
F1 2016
FIFA 14
FIFA 15
FIFA 16
FIFA 17
FIFA 18(*****)
King of Fighters 14
King's Quest
Guilty gear Xrd -Revelator
Guilty gear Xrd -sign
Helldivers
Injustice 2 *****
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (*****)
Metro Redux
Mighty No.9
Minecraft
Mortal Combat X
MotoGP17
Murdered: Soul Suspect
NBA 2K 14
Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom (*****)
Sonic Mania (***** 4k)
OnRush (*****)
Outlast
Outlast 2
Overwatch
Paladins (***** Native 4K)
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (*****)
Pro Evolution Soccer 15
Pro Evolution Soccer 16
Pro Evolution Soccer 17
Project cars
Rainbow 6 Siege
Rayman Legends
Resident Evil : Revelations 2
Resident Evil 7
Rocket League (***** Native 4K)
Salt and Sanctuary
Senran Kagura Estival Versus
Shadow Warrior
Skylanders: Swap Force
Sniper Elite 3
Star Ocean 4
Sonic Forces
Street Fighter 5
Tales of berseria
Titanfall 2*** ( most of the time game runs at 1080P 60fps but in some parts falls to 900P)(*****)
The Flame in the flood
The Talos Principle
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Witness
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition***
Tranformers Devastation
Trials fusion
Trine 2
Trine 3: Artifacts of Power
Victor Vran
Warframe
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
WWE 2K15

1080p/60fps Indie games

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Inside
Rogue Legacy
Spelunky

60 fps games (resolution is not checked) - credits @ e1sunz &faithfulwidsom

Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Call of duty WW2 *****
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Digimon Next Order
Drawn to Death
Fortnite (*****)
Grand Kingdom
Gundam Breaker 3
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone -
Hatsune Miku: Project X
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue -
Let it Die
Malicious Fallen
Matterfall
Nioh (*****)
NieR: Automata (frequent drops)(*****)
No Man’s Sky (1080p Mode Only)
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Outlast 2
Rainbow Moon -
Rainbow Skies
Shadow of the Beasts
Star Wars Battlefront (900p)*****
Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment
Sword Art Online Hollow Realization
The Idolmaster Platinum Stars
Thumper (*****)
Transformers :Devestation (*****)
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (Multiplayer Mode, 1080p Mode Only) (*****)

PS4 Pro 60 FPS Games (resolution not checked)
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
F1 2017
Metal Gear: Survive - NYR
Project cars 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Shadow of the colossus
The Surge (Performance Mode)
Wolfenstein 2
https://www.videogamerplus.com/2014/09/60-fps-native-1080p-ps4-games-list.html

man, i so hope you dont get me wrong. or think i want to do you harm or laugh at you. That is not the case/not my intention!!! :BYE:

Last edited:
edit: looks like i just cant let it go! :ANGEL:

https://www.videogamerplus.com/2014/09/60-fps-native-1080p-ps4-games-list.html

man, i so hope you dont get me wrong. or think i want to do you harm or laugh at you. That is not the case/not my intention!!! :BYE:

Still the list is incredibly small, and there is not many triple AA titles in the list and some of them are guess work by users. - PS4 Pro 60 FPS Games (resolution not checked) and the list above.

As stated some games are 60FPS, but the list is so small I could write it on the back of a fag packet.

We will have to agree to disagree on the console being 60FPS.

Still the list is incredibly small, and there is not many triple AA titles in the list and some of them are guess work by users. - PS4 Pro 60 FPS Games (resolution not checked) and the list above.

As stated some games are 60FPS, but the list is so small I could write it on the back of a fag packet.

We will have to agree to disagree on the console being 60FPS.
we will! ;)
even xbox360 had 60fps titles... i wont look for the ps2 titles with 60fps (knowing there are some...)! ;) ...or talk about dreamcast (that was way back in the days), dont know how old you are! ;)
XB360:
Burnout revenge
Burnout paradise
Bioshock 1 & 2
Bioshock Infinite
Bayonetta
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Driver: San Francisco
Dirt showdown
Doom 3 BFG Edition
Diablo III
DMC4
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dante's Inferno
Dead or Alive 4 & 5
Forza 2,3 & 4
Flatout ultimate carnage
Grid 2
Goldeneye Reloaded
Hitman HD Trilogy
Killer Is Dead
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Mortal Kombat 9
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Ninja gaiden 2 & 3
Phantasy Star Universe
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Rage
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken 6
Super Street Fighter IV
Soulcalibur IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 3 & 4
so this is the end?! ;)

i bet we'll meet again! :D

we will! ;)
even xbox360 had 60fps titles... i wont look for the ps2 titles with 60fps (knowing there are some...)! ;) ...or talk about dreamcast (that was way back in the days), dont know how old you are! ;)
XB360:
Burnout revenge
Burnout paradise
Bioshock 1 & 2
Bioshock Infinite
Bayonetta
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Driver: San Francisco
Dirt showdown
Doom 3 BFG Edition
Diablo III
DMC4
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Dante's Inferno
Dead or Alive 4 & 5
Forza 2,3 & 4
Flatout ultimate carnage
Grid 2
Goldeneye Reloaded
Hitman HD Trilogy
Killer Is Dead
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Mortal Kombat 9
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Ninja gaiden 2 & 3
Phantasy Star Universe
Ridge Racer 6
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Rage
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken 6
Super Street Fighter IV
Soulcalibur IV
Virtua Fighter 5
Virtua Tennis 3 & 4
so this is the end?! ;)

i bet we'll meet again! :D

I am pretty old, and my first system was a Spectrum.
So you can mention the dreamcast, as was probably my favorite console.
But again the list from Xbox is not convincing as it only a few titles.

I am pretty old, and my first system was a Spectrum.
So you can mention the dreamcast, as was probably my favorite console.
But again the list from Xbox is not convincing as it only a few titles.
Yeah... if you know the Spectrum, you are old (enough)! :)
did you possess one back in the days or did the black friday 1929 hit you hard?! ;)

Reviews of the new AMD 5700 have been released.
So if one of these cards does appear in the PS5, or a very similar custom chip or a very similar custom chip based on the same architecture.
Then the PS5 will have the graphics capability of running the majority of games as expected @30FPS in 4K.
The benchmarks show the card is capable of running the majority of games at around 35-40FPS in 4K, so is exactly where I expected it to be.
So AAA titles will be 30FPS, and the odd sports game and platformers will most likely be 60FPS - As is very much the case with the current gen machines.
This is a massive improvement over the current gen as the majority of benchmarks were running on PC Ultra settings.

I am not going to speculate on the processor as this is most likely going to be the part which will not be similar to the AMD processors currently on the market, or may well be underclocked versions of what is currently available.

But given that the benchmarks were running on Ultra settings and with the badly needed SSD, it at least appears the next generation will be a massive step up and be able to produce the same graphics as high end PC's.

Now just need to wait for the cost, as suspect they will be released around £400 - £500.

reg. the current benchmarks: whats not taking into account is the special attention they pay to the hardware. they surely tweak those standard cpu's and gpu's for their consoles.
after that, there is more tweaking or "special adjustment" between hard and software.
i'm pretty sure i'll be satisfied for some years into the future (like i am with the current console)! :D

I am satisfied with the ps4 performance, even as a base console, not pro model. The real issue is the noise, too many game make the console fans so much loud. I really hope they can fix that with much better cooling system.

I'm definitely not, current gen consoles definitely held back gaming especially for us predominately PC gamers.

Yep, really frustrating. Looking back it's really surprising the last gen didn't have SSD drives to be honest, I guess they were too expensive. PS4 got off to a really good start as it's price was low compared to when the PS3 launched. But the fact that just a couple years later Sony and Microsoft were offering more powerful versions of consoles just shows how underpowered they were.

reg. the current benchmarks: whats not taking into account is the special attention they pay to the hardware. they surely tweak those standard cpu's and gpu's for their consoles.
after that, there is more tweaking or "special adjustment" between hard and software.
i'm pretty sure i'll be satisfied for some years into the future (like i am with the current console)! :D

I don't think they will be tweaked for the good.
They are more likely going to use the cards as a base and then adjust the clock speeds in order to help with cooling.
I really hope they do not do this, but given how hot the new AMD cards run it will be surprising if the PS5 ships with the same clock speeds as the new cards.

I'm definitely not, current gen consoles definitely held back gaming especially for us predominately PC gamers.

I agree I really disliked the current gen.
You will know alot better than me, but I feel that the current gen machines have held back what is achievable graphically by a couple of years.
And in the sense of AI probably even more as I really find incredibly puzzling why they released the current gen consoles with Netbook CPU's.

I really do think the next gen will launch with a 3rd Gen Ryzen with the core clock underclocked to maybe 2Ghz to help with cooling, and the graphics chip to be the same as the 5700, but again maybe slightly underclocked to help with cooling.
But either way the step up will be huge and at launch there will be mass influx of games being re-released with additional 4K content, with those games matching Ultra PC settings.

Although I still believe the future of gaming will be Google Stadia and similar devices.
£130 for a system and the games and graphics are constantly being updated on the servers, might be buggy to start but they will get it right.
The only problem is the speed of internet connection to get it working, in the UK unless you live in an area with Virgin your pretty screwed and will only get HD gaming and not 4K.

Last edited:
The majority of games on consoles have always been 30FPS, the amount of games running @60FPS on consoles is incredibly small.
Amm... what? NES is running 50/60hz on PAL/NTSC, Sega Genesis are running with 60 fps/hz, PS1,DreamCast, PS2, PS3 are running main games on 60 fps/hz...

Amm... what? NES is running 50/60hz on PAL/NTSC, Sega Genesis are running with 60 fps/hz, PS1,DreamCast, PS2, PS3 are running main games on 60 fps/hz...

Not at 1080p though (assume that is what he meant considering the current generation). PS3 had a few full HD I think but not many.

I think your confused between Hertz and FPS..
Just because a TV supports 60 Hertz doesn't mean that's the framerate, that is the maximum supported frame rate.

Looking online:-
PS3 majority of games were 30FPS, some exclusives were 60FPS, and some like Bioshock were restricted to 25.
PS2 ran the majority of games at 60FPS.
PS1 games ran at anything from 30-60FPS.
Less than 15% of Dreamcast games ran at 60FPS.
The Snes and Megadrive both ran at 50 or 60FPS depending on territory.

I think your confused between Hertz and FPS..
Just because a TV supports 60 Hertz doesn't mean that's the framerate, that is the maximum supported frame rate.

Looking online:-
PS3 majority of games were 30FPS, some exclusives were 60FPS, and some like Bioshock were restricted to 25.
PS2 ran the majority of games at 60FPS.
PS1 games ran at anything from 30-60FPS.
Less than 15% of Dreamcast games ran at 60FPS.
The Snes and Megadrive both ran at 50 or 60FPS depending on territory.

Sorry BSmaff, but looks like you do not have an idea what are you talking about and what TV Herz mean... 1 Hz is 1 frame per second.

To recap: Refresh rate is how often a TV changes the image (also known as a "frame") on screen. With traditional televisions, this was 60 times each second, or "60Hz." Some modern TVs can refresh at much higher rates, most commonly 120Hz (120 frames per second) and 240Hz

How I was saying before.. the main construction of any console since.. to be at least 50hz. Old consoles almost any game is on 50/60 Hz since we have all these " hight resolutions" Some games are not exactly like that, or they are losing frames on cutscene or shit like that but... in general 60 fps is NOT tabu for consoles. You try to expose consoles like, 60 Hz is super rare... no, it's not...

Last edited:
If you continue this conversation, it better be without the insults / digs or someone's going to get banned. This is a first and last warning.

I don't think they will be tweaked for the good.
They are more likely going to use the cards as a base and then adjust the clock speeds in order to help with cooling.
I really hope they do not do this, but given how hot the new AMD cards run it will be surprising if the PS5 ships with the same clock speeds as the new cards.
Let's agree that there are not so many PS3 games that are full HD in the first place. PS3 comes when HD TVs were very expensive, not to mention FULL HD.

I think the first PS5 will cost 499$ for US /499€ for EU, will run 1080 120 fps via HDMI 2.1, 4k 60 fps (8k on 120 Hz seems too optimistic) and 8k 30 fps.

Last edited:
Sorry BSmaff, but looks like you do not have an idea what are you talking about and what TV Herz mean... 1 Hz is 1 frame per second.

To recap: Refresh rate is how often a TV changes the image (also known as a "frame") on screen. With traditional televisions, this was 60 times each second, or "60Hz." Some modern TVs can refresh at much higher rates, most commonly 120Hz (120 frames per second) and 240Hz

How I was saying before.. the main construction of any console since.. to be at least 50hz. Old consoles almost any game is on 50/60 Hz since we have all these " hight resolutions" Some games are not exactly like that, or they are losing frames on cutscene or shit like that but... in general 60 fps is NOT tabu for consoles. You try to expose consoles like, 60 Hz is super rare... no, it's not...

I think you misinterpreted what I said.
I know one Hertz means 1 FPS, but what I meant was that although a TV supports 50-200Hz it doesn't mean the FPS will be the same as the Hertz.
My old monitor was 144Hz, but rarely did I get that framerate.

In hindsight I should never of mentioned that it appears they are aiming for 30FPS @4K.

The graphics will be a big step up, the PS5 will be going to Ultra PC settings and actual native 4K, rather than the fake 4K of the PS4 with the picture being upscaled and that checkerbook stuff.

I personally will be happy with that, the main reasons I dislike the current consoles is down to the poor processor, 2 year old mid range graphics tech on release and the fact they needed a mid cycle update as they knew they ballsed up.
The new PS5/Xbox are not making the same mistakes, and they are going to be good and powerful out the box and contain an SSD.

Back
Top Bottom