Spanish Football Thread 10/11

Gedtillo

Mediocentro defensivo
13 July 2004
I'd like to ask your opinion on this subject. The last ten years Spain has always had a solid team, with very good players, but has lacked the consistency needed to perform well at a major event. WC 2002 was a very good chance, had it not been for Ghandour Spain would've passed through (though the same can be said for Italy) to semis, and I think they were way better than Germany at that moment. However, though having experienced and talented players, they're always struggling to get past quarter finals. As of now, I think this team is very good, very very young, but has some experienced players that can lead a winning side.

What do you think about this team? What would be your Spanish lineup? Mine would be:

(Starting // Sub)

GK: Casillas // Reina

RB: Salgado // Puyol
CB: Puyol // Pablo
CB: S. Ramos // Marchena
LB: Del Horno // R. Bravo

CMF: Xavi // Guti
CMF: Xabi Alonso // Albelda
RW: Joaquín // Valerón
LW: Reyes // Vicente

FW: Raúl // Tamudo
FW: F. Torres // Morientes

Player by player it is a very sold team... maybe better than the German or Dutch, but then they never win anything!

Last edited:
Re: Spain: Too young? Not good enough? Bad luck?

I think this was the best team spain produced.

1982 World Cup..

1 GK Luis ARCONADA 26 Jun 1954 Real Sociedad
2 DF Jose Antonio CAMACHO 08 Jun 1955 Real Madrid
3 DF Rafael GORDILLO 24 Feb 1957 Real Betis
4 MD Miguel Angel ALONSO 01 Feb 1953 Real Sociedad
5 DF Miguel TENDILLO 01 Feb 1961 Valencia
6 DF Jose Ramon ALEXANCO 19 May 1956 Barcelona
7 FW JUANITO Gomez 10 Nov 1954 Real Madrid
8 MD JOAQUIN Alonso 09 Jun 1956 Sporting Gijon
9 FW Jesus Maria SATRUSTEGUI 12 Jan 1954 Real Sociedad
10 MD Jesus Maria ZAMORA 01 Jan 1955 Real Sociedad
11 FW Roberto LOPEZ-UFARTE 19 Apr 1958 Real Sociedad
12 DF Santiago URQUIAGA 14 Apr 1958 Athletic Bilbao
13 DF Manuel JIMENEZ 27 Oct 1956 Sporting Gijon
14 DF Antonio MACEDA 16 May 1957 Sporting Gijon
15 MD Enrique SAURA 02 Aug 1954 Valencia
16 MD Jose Vicente SANCHEZ 08 Oct 1956 Barcelona
17 MD Ricardo GALLEGO 08 Feb 1959 Real Madrid
18 FW Pedro URALDE 02 Mar 1958 Real Sociedad
19 FW Carlos Alonso SANTILLANA 23 Aug 1952 Real Madrid
20 FW Enrique Castro QUINI 23 Sep 1949 Barcelona
21 GK Francisco URRUTICOECHEA 17 Feb 1952 Barcelona
22 GK MIGUEL ANGEL Gonzalez 24 Dec 1947 Real Madrid

However, at the time, they were stipulating that this team didn't do well due to the clash of cultures. It was a Basque heavy team with San Sebastian well represented. But was it due to the Basque/Catalan/Madrid conflicts?

Anyway, for this year, for now on, i'd like to see:

GK: Casillas // Riesgo

DL: Salgado // M. Pablo
CB: Puyol // Juanito
CB: Pablo // Lopo
DR: Del Horno // Raul Bravo

CMF: Xavi // Albelda
CMF: De La Pena // Valeron
RW: Joaquín // Víctor
LW: Reyes // Vicente

FW: Raúl // Tamudo
FW: F. Torres // Villa

Spain even put England to shame when it comes to underachievement!

A great side man for man, I guess its just about getting the right man in charge to get them to click (bit like England actually).

What about Etxebarria? Is he still any good? Also, is Victor Valdes Spanish? Surely he should be ahead of Reina. Maybe Luis Garcia should be in there too. Valeron was quality for a couple of seasons but he seems to have dropped off the radar now.

Victor Valdes has never been capped, surprisingly.

I think Spain are slightly weak at the back. Puyol is outstanding and Del Horno plays for a club side who are excellent defensively, but Salgado plays for Real who have had a shoddy defense for a while now, although he's not a bad player. Who would partner Puyol is also a difficult question, I don't think they have another world-class central defender.

For that reason I don't think you can play Xavi and De La Pena in a central midfield pairing, neither is particularly good defensively. I'd go with:

Casillas

Salgado
Puyol
Helguera
Del Horno

Albelda
Xavi
Vicente
Joaquin

Torres
Raul

Etxebe is good. Period. Not outstanding. Always fails with the National team.
Valdés is Spanish, but is not as good as Reina (IMO). Cañizares is still good, he might get back someday. But Casillas' shadow is too long...

You're right, I'd put Luis García instead of Valerón, and Villa ahead of Morientes. I just forgot those two.

They are a great team but, like many other, they need a good manager that can take advantage of the quality of the team.

Canizares is a top quality keeper, I've always thought he was massively underrated. I heard he ripped a tendon in his foot by stepping on a broken bottle in a hotel room and hence will miss the WC, is this true? :p

Joystick said:
Canizares is a top quality keeper, I've always thought he was massively underrated. I heard he ripped a tendon in his foot by stepping on a broken bottle in a hotel room and hence will miss the WC, is this true? :p

It was his aftershave.. the muppett! :D

ClassicD said:
Victor Valdes has never been capped, surprisingly.

I think Spain are slightly weak at the back. Puyol is outstanding and Del Horno plays for a club side who are excellent defensively, but Salgado plays for Real who have had a shoddy defense for a while now, although he's not a bad player. Who would partner Puyol is also a difficult question, I don't think they have another world-class central defender.

For that reason I don't think you can play Xavi and De La Pena in a central midfield pairing, neither is particularly good defensively. I'd go with:

Casillas

Salgado
Puyol
Helguera
Del Horno

Albelda
Xavi
Vicente
Joaquin

Torres
Raul

Swap Helguera for Marchena, and Xavi for Xabi Alonso, and you have my team.

It was before WC2002, he dropped his aftershave and stepped on the broken glass... he stayed though, he was good for the team and all that...

That year was the lucky year for Casillas. After being substitute all the second half of the season with Real Madrid, César got injured during the second period of the Champions League final, and he ended up being the savior of the team. Then, few weeks later, when Cañizares was the starting GK for Spain, he had this accident, so Casillas got the place, and again he ended up being the savior against Ireland. Which doesn't mean he isn't an amazing keeper. I've never seen anyone perform so well in my entire life, maybe Buffon...

and we can expect more...in coming years...

This weekend we witnessed the 6th cardiac arrest in Spanish football in 3 years. 3 deaths, 2 saved in hospital, and 1 saved on the pitch. Something is wrong here - something needs to be done to investigate why its happening. It must be to do with some sort of chemical they use for fitness.

Spanish sports has an immense doping/drugs problem.
They have it in athletics, (especially) in cycling and also in football.
I have the distinct impression that Spanish authorities tolerate performance enhancing drugs.
It is no coïncidence that Lance Armstrong's European base was in Spain (Gerona).

When i see Rafaël Nadal, i also have questions (i've been a very good tennis player myself albeit 30 years ago). No other tennis player has a body similar to Nasdal's (to be fair i have the same questions about "our" Kim Clijsters).

I also remember that in Operation Puerto besides cyclists there were also football teams named...but after a couple of months the Spanish justice only had eye for the cyclists on the list.

Yeah the whole reason he moved to Barca was because they promised to pay for his treatment that his family could not otherwise afford back home in Argentina.

Something is amiss though, it seems to happen in Spain more than anywhere else.

This weekend we witnessed the 6th cardiac arrest in Spanish football in 3 years. 3 deaths, 2 saved in hospital, and 1 saved on the pitch. Something is wrong here - something needs to be done to investigate why its happening. It must be to do with some sort of chemical they use for fitness.

Who was it at the weekend ? I missed it.

Anyone hear about Ruben De Le Red, he has had to end his career (heart problems), it seemed like he was destined for great things at Getafe and during Euro 2008.

Yeah been happening too often in Spain in last few years.

I'm still saddest about Antonio Puerta though I gotta admit :( and Jarque was a HUGE loss too.

Woooh, that was scary, poor guy. Yeah heard about De La Red too, real pity.

On Spanish footy, I love it, best footy to watch by a country mile.

FD

You should've tuned into the Manchester Drabby last night then.

La Liga is tops for me and German Bundesliga for Atmosphere wins hands down.

FD

Back
Top Bottom