• No

Votes: 31 81.6%

• Total voters

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
A simple enough one for you all. Have the FA made the right choice for the job or gone for the "safe" option?

No

Whatever they do they get it wrong the useless fucks

if i asked for 2 sugars in my tea they would give me 6

dour, red faced and negative spring to mind but hey enough about me ;)

what i find odd is why they didnt just appoint him straight away without all the months of crap, if he really was "the unanimous first choice"

db

A vanilla choice if there ever was one. To be fair he has at least studied under Fergie for years, knows the England set up well and has some rapport with the players.

It's the safest of safe options for me. Even Fat Sam would have been more of a gamble. Having said that I'm prepared to give him a fair chance, but my gut feeling is that he's too lightweight.

wait a minute, hasnt this guy led the boro from NOTHING to in the European finals, i dont understand you guys, he has done an amazing job at boro, with limited money

csaunders said:
wait a minute, hasnt this guy led the boro from NOTHING to in the European finals, i dont understand you guys, he has done an amazing job at boro, with limited money

Its not a step forward more sideways!

Time will tell, no excuse not to qualify for Euro 2008 with top two directly qualifying

csaunders said:

God you must be fucking joking!!! From NOTHING??? Limited money?!

13th in the league. Tactical know how of a log.

@Csaunders you must be joking :shock: cuz I thought you follow EPL pretty closely at least. ;)

@Stevo, wanted to quote you and say some things regarding your other post about who's next England manager but the other thread was rightfully closed so I'll do it here since it's on same topic.

I'm not Fat Sam's biggest fan either, but I do think he is very underrated as a manager.
He is no mug and is certainly not a 'yes man'. He would have done things his way and would not have cared for reputations too much.

People criticise his tactics, but he does what is necassary to win.
Is he going to outplay Arsenal?? No. So he plays long ball and it beats Arsenal and other clubs very often.

When he needs to play football he can. At Upton Park this year, they were one of the better footballing sides and beat us 2-1.
They outplayed Tottenham for much of the game at White Hart Lane the other day and were desperately unlucky to lose!!

He is a lot smarter than people give him credit for and can work with big names and big reputations.

But hey, it's all immaterial now!!

The Cheesy beetroot-faced one is in charge now!!

Dear oh dear.
Well said. I agree!

Originally Posted by PLF
But having said all that and how I'm not a fan of him or have much faith in him, who knows maybe he'll be a great England manager! We'll just have to wait and see! :)
Indeed. sometimes the biggest names are not the right names for the job.

He has my full backing, but he certainly wasn't my 1st hoice.
Indeed. Exactly. Agree fully again and I think this should be the mentality of any real Englishman now with best interests for country. Whether he was your first choice and you rate him or you don't and he wasn't your first pick (in my case he was 2nd last of all the candidates mentioned :p ) like me and Stevo, now it's up to us to be positive and give him our full-backing for the time-being in either case!

Last edited:
Offtopic really but you gotta learn sometime so here it is. ;)

You see that little text box at the bottom of the page where you type what you're writing and then press "Post quick reply"? Right next to that is another button called "Go advanced" once you click that you'll see a box with smilies on right hand side which with an easy click will be put on the text box and posted.

Of course it doesn't hurt to memorize the formula for some of the more common ones either like the wink one which is made of a semi-colon (I believe this is what it's called :lol:) like this ";" followed by the right ending of a bracket like this ")" of course they gotta be right after each other then you'll see this wink ;)

lol well there's the little tutorial now let's get back on topic.

steevio_uk said:
;) that was typing it.

I ain't got any smilies on the right hand side dude!! Ha Ha

Go into user CP-Edit options-Message Editor Interface-change to standard...... Smilies dude!!

PS Steve Mclaren NO not the right choice but the cheap and easy choice = no change... no Balls....as you were England though he will get out of his seat more often.... Oh and shag less..... ;) #-o

PLF said:
@Csaunders you must be joking :shock: cuz I thought you follow EPL pretty closely at least. ;)

@Stevo, wanted to quote you and say some things regarding your other post about who's next England manager but the other thread was rightfully closed so I'll do it here since it's on same topic.

Well said. I agree!

Indeed. Exactly. Agree fully again and I think this should be the mentality of any real Englishman now with best interests for country. Whether he was your first choice and you rate him or you don't and he wasn't your first pick (in my case he was 2nd last of all the candidates mentioned :p ) like me and Stevo, now it's up to us to be positive and give him our full-backing for the time-being in either case!
im not joking.. i know boro sucks in the league, but they could be the champions of europe.... thats not an easy feat....

Champions of Europe? You mean champions of Uefa cup which is quite different as you don't face the very best in "Europe" in Uefa cup but rather those who got 3rd place in their group stages of CL and get knocked out or teams that finished below top 3 or 4 in big leagues or won a cup!

It's not an easy feat.. nobody said it was but the main goal of any club and the first prioty is domestic league position and that's actually what determines how good of a team you are and how good of a manager you've got since anything can happe in competitions that have "Knock-out" stages in them.

On the other hand the league is played over 38 games.. 19 at home 19 away.. through good form, bad form, injury, full squad available and fit, all sorts of things so it's the best way to determine how consistent and good a team really is and much more clearer picture when you look over after 38 games instead of 10-18 let's say.

Boro's position in table tells you all about how great of a job Steve has done!
csaunders said:
Limited money? He hasn't led Boro from nothing to Uefa cup finals on his own dude. The chairman, Steve Gibson is very ambitious and has quite a bit of money and has clearly spent it on this team over the years. With money spent and squad like that any half decent manager would've done made Boro progress in past few years as they have but perhaps even more so than McClaren has.

PLF said:
Champions of Europe? You mean champions of Uefa cup which is quite different as you don't face the very best in "Europe" in Uefa cup but rather those who got 3rd place in their group stages of CL and get knocked out or teams that finished below top 3 or 4 in big leagues or won a cup!

It's not an easy feat.. nobody said it was but the main goal of any club and the first prioty is domestic league position and that's actually what determines how good of a team you are and how good of a manager you've got since anything can happe in competitions that have "Knock-out" stages in them.

On the other hand the league is played over 38 games.. 19 at home 19 away.. through good form, bad form, injury, full squad available and fit, all sorts of things so it's the best way to determine how consistent and good a team really is and much more clearer picture when you look over after 38 games instead of 10-18 let's say.

Boro's position in table tells you all about how great of a job Steve has done!

Limited money? He hasn't led Boro from nothing to Uefa cup finals on his own dude. The chairman, Steve Gibson is very ambitious and has quite a bit of money and has clearly spent it on this team over the years. With money spent and squad like that any half decent manager would've done made Boro progress in past few years as they have but perhaps even more so than McClaren has.
ok fair enough, i didnt realize they were a wealthy club...

We'll see tonight what McClaren is really made of. He has come out already ,trying to take the pressure off his team by insisting they are the 'underdogs' cuz Seville are doing so well in the league. Oh poor poor Boro, we must feel sorry for them and not be suprised if they lose cuz they are the 'underdogs'. Thing is Boro have a team and stature to be doing better than 14th place. Boro have got 20million pounds worth of talent in attack and still he has the cheek to call them underdogs

If this is the attitude Mcclaren is going to employ leading up to games for England, I dont want to be watching.

Well you know me Alucard and how I don't rate Mc and I agree if this is gonna be his attitude, it's not good news for future of England.

BUT in this case, Boro are under-dogs for me anyway when playing against "Sevilla" without having looked at what media has said or who the actual betting sites favour and all anyway.

In my own mind right now, Sevilla is favoured to win just like Barca will be favourites against Arsenal but anything can happen and I'm very excited about the match.

Off to see it now 8)

latez

Last edited:
This is the peg that has been missing from the England hole for a long number of years now. This is the guy they've been after since Graham Taylor left. Finally the jigsaw puzzle is complete.

I missed the match. Were Boro pathetic? I had a feeling they would crumble under the pressure. McClaren was lucky to get to the final and his luck was soon to run out.

Pathetic? No not really.. Sevilla just played up to each of their squad player's potential and that really would be a 4-0 win over Boro and a win over Barca and Man Utd and any team on their day.

Boro did okay in first half but were down 1-0 at HT from a beautiful header from Ex-Brazilian Int'l Luis Fabiano. Then in 2nd half they tried to get back into game and were attacking more, Palop made a really nice save from a chance Viduka should've buried and then at one point they had Yakubu, Maccarone, Viduka and JFH on pitch and with Jesus Navas' speed, Maresca's ability and every other Sevilla player in good form and playing up to potential, this was always gonna be dangerous!

So they scored 3 more goals and wrapped it up in a well deserved victory and clearly better team as expected. So I don't like McClaren so I certainly wasn't defending him but they were indeed underdogs for this match as he said and I thought too before the match and rightly so :lol:

Anyways though I won't be following the Uefa cup game talk here anymore as I'd rather do it all in one place ;) and it's kinda off-topic here.

So see ya

Back
Top Bottom