Super Soccer Blast

I know the devs, they're from Barcelona, good guys! The game looks fun, let's see if it has depth for the long time and if coop works

New football game coming to consoles!

Releases June 12th on Xbox One and Playstation 4.

Nintendo Switch and Steam - June 19th.

I always wonder for these games, since the devs include editing tools that would be a wet dream for the mainstream football Sims, why they do not try a proper Sim and go on those arcade just4fun games..
It is not the case that we will put them in direct contrast with pes/fifa.

I know the devs, they're from Barcelona, good guys! The game looks fun, let's see if it has depth for the long time and if coop works
Let's hope so, I've seen many arcade football games and while i don't expect a physics engine as deep as PES or FIFA's, It would be nice if this at least had some decent, free ball physics. The problem with most arcade football titles is the ball has this "sticky" feel where it feels like it's glued to the pitch or players feet and can only travel through the air or hit the net at a specific predetermined trajectory and that gets very old very fast.

Here's hoping this is dynamic enough to keep it fresh and unpredictable!
I always wonder for these games, since the devs include editing tools that would be a wet dream for the mainstream football Sims, why they do not try a proper Sim and go on those arcade just4fun games..
It is not the case that we will put them in direct contrast with pes/fifa.
It's always a bonus when they give you an editing suite, Especially if it's a non licensed game - For obvious reasons! As far as making a sim, It's always going to be a super ambitious or even unrealistic task especially for a small indie studio nonetheless.

You cannot simply compete with PES or FIFA. This is why i always maintained that if one was to release a new football game, It has to be an alternative. Both games have too much equity and dominate the market space, And some people just want a casual, no pressure football experience and this is it for them.

Just like some people want a kart racer compared to a Gran Turismo or NBA Jam or a full on basketball court experience.

Let's hope so, I've seen many arcade football games and while i don't expect a physics engine as deep as PES or FIFA's, It would be nice if this at least had some decent, free ball physics. The problem with most arcade football titles is the ball has this "sticky" feel where it feels like it's glued to the pitch or players feet and can only travel through the air or hit the net at a specific predetermined trajectory and that gets very old very fast.

Here's hoping this is dynamic enough to keep it fresh and unpredictable!

It's always a bonus when they give you an editing suite, Especially if it's a non licensed game - For obvious reasons! As far as making a sim, It's always going to be a super ambitious or even unrealistic task especially for a small indie studio nonetheless.

You cannot simply compete with PES or FIFA. This is why i always maintained that if one was to release a new football game, It has to be an alternative. Both games have too much equity and dominate the market space, And some people just want a casual, no pressure football experience and this is it for them.

Just like some people want a kart racer compared to a Gran Turismo or NBA Jam or a full on basketball court experience.
Yeah I understand, it was mostly utopic question, and I am the first to go for a funny sport spinoff game like Mario Kart or NBA Jam, and of course I do not want something on par with pes/fifa.

But I don't know why today is impossible to create an indie Sim game at a level of Pes4 for example, which is a game 15 years ago, while we have mobile phones that can emulate ps4 games.

I own Sensible Soccer 2006, which was a very similar game, and I had good times with it, but after a while it looses the depth due to the arcade. And the editing possibilities were also Fantastic there.

Also i cannot wait for it either way, as the Switch lacks of proper footie, it has only FIFA. Shame cause I think a pes version using the UE like the pes mobile feets 100% in the Switch platform.

Just had a couple of games. It's not terrible but it takes a bit of getting used to. It's more like sensible soccer with a broadcast camera.

I got spanked by the CPU 2 games in a row. One one medium difficultly, One on easy. The problem is the CPU has a 97% success rate of scoring on this so as soon as the AI get the ball in the final 3rd, it's either gonna be a goal from range, or the keeper slaps it back onto the penalty area of which all your defenders abandon & it's a goal on the rebound.

I kinda hoped there'd be a training mode just to adjust to the controls and mechanics with no pressure from opposition because even easy difficulty in a match is pretty tricky.

I was excited to try it from the clips, but I saw a stream earlier and it was a bit disappointing. Walking pace, no midfield, three AI defenders in a huddle chasing one player...

Even the most positive tweet I can find about it says "this could be fun if we give the developers feedback", which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence!

I wish there were more depth to this kind of games. Arcade doesn't mean you can't have for example some significant rudimental stat or special ability for players, so they aren't all the same doesn't matter which team you play, or some more varied situations, since you aren't even tied to real soccer and you hardly have heavy rules to follow. You could get creative in a thousand of different ways indeed. But instead all the "light" football games I tried in the last years were terribly plain and monotonous. Curious that I could fire up my MAME and have more fun with an arcade decades old rather than with those titles.

Don't mean to be hard with this guys, it's more of a general thought. I even like their graphical style but honestly the things I'm seeing in the videos aren't encouraging me to pick it up.

@Emroth ... you need your fix or just dropping by because you missed us?! :D
I just need to make sure that there's not too much positivity in here, so all the candyfloss does not make the forum buttons sticky.. :LOL:

This could be a very cool game, but when I saw full match and constantly jumping AI - that was that. Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea is beyond me.

Has anyone actually bought this and got any raw takes?

Thinking of switch version.
Yeah, I bought it today for the Switch.

It's functional. Wouldn't describe it as fun. No offence to the devs and I'm glad to support a new football game. But on the hardest setting (which is required for it to be challenging) the AI defenders run like Usain Bolt and block everything you try and do, which is really frustrating.

The AI's shots are always on target and are punched out the same way every time, half the length of the pitch and straight to your defender. The ball isn't free so it's all on-rails and predictable. (Of course it is - it's an indie game and it's £7.)

I'll give it another go when it's patched in the future but it's not for me as it stands.

Yeah, I bought it today for the Switch.

It's functional. Wouldn't describe it as fun. No offence to the devs and I'm glad to support a new football game. But on the hardest setting (which is required for it to be challenging) the AI defenders run like Usain Bolt and block everything you try and do, which is really frustrating.

The AI's shots are always on target and are punched out the same way every time, half the length of the pitch and straight to your defender. The ball isn't free so it's all on-rails and predictable. (Of course it is - it's an indie game and it's £7.)

I'll give it another go when it's patched in the future but it's not for me as it stands.

That's a shame. The videos I've seen suggest likewise.

I do wonder how much it would take to get this into a decent game. A few players stats to distinguish between players' key abilities, a few basic tactical options, a bit more AI sophistication (ok, that could be tough), the ability to create your own teams (already in?), leagues and competition structures. It possibly wouldn't take that much to make it a viable alternative to PES and FIFA for some of us, in terms of a fairly basic but solid football game.

I'd more than gladly go without any licences, player faces, etc in favour of pure gameplay fun - but it's got to be a bit more advanced and in depth than this appears to be so far.

I really hope these guys stick at it but give it a bit more depth - they could be onto a winner. Football and gaming is so popular worldwide, there has to be a market for something like this. But if it's just gonna be simplistic cartoon football, then it's not for me either.

I'm currently playing their beach volley game (which is very originally named Super Volley Blast) and it's fun enough, especially for local co-op/versus.
it has some interesting things like the frosty pitch, the "bomb ball" and so on that make it a little more vearied and add at least some longevity (I mean, the "story" mode is 7 matches long and then I don't think there's much else to do apart from friendlies).
I was also keeping an eye on their tennis one too which by the looks of it has the same style but seems more complete, but haven't bought it yet.

This football one, meh... I've seen a couple of videos and read a couple of reviews and it doesn't seem on par for the moment. I still can't get out of my head the jumping animation that the CPU does every single time even when it's definitely not necessary, for example.

Back
Top Bottom