Super Tight Kits

druks

Goalkeeper Extraordinaire
15 December 2005
Canada
Drukstar F.C. & ManUtd
what the hell is up with the football kits these days?
every club seems to be going for these swimming-costume-spandex-like-tight kits.
where are the big old jerseys of a few years back?
man, do i hate these tight little kits. it makes a footballer look like hes wearing girlie tops.
Bragga's kits were the tighest i seen on a player. they could field a swim team i think.
i blame Kappa for starting this trend with their 'revolutionary' jerseys for the Azzurri.
:mrgreen:
what do people think?

I've never been a fan of these type of jerseys, I know Wales have had the Kappa "Kombat" style for quite a while and I'd rather we went to a different supplier. The first jersey we had under the deal was like a cyclist's top, and it certainly didn't wash well with the a lot of the fans who have the portly physique!

BTW I thought Braga's keeper looked even dafter with his spandex-like shorts :lol:

This year Roma kit is just too tight for me. In XL, it's ok for all erseys but not this one. I have to lose some weight :mrgreen:.

Shouldn't being able to fit into an average size version of your teams shirt be an added incentive to getting fit looking trim?

I have no problems with them as long as they are nicely designed such as that Welsh kit and Italy kit.

Just look at the difference in players shorts now compared to the 70's though, they were very nearly thong material compared to the present lengths. I am to scared of seeing that japanese fella with the one eye to watch football from the 70's.

I have no problem fitting into Kappa jerseys, but a lot of others who consume plentiful of beer just don't, also the length of the jerseys isn't too good for tall people like myself so I have to buy one size up. I admit some of the designs we've had from Kappa have been excellent such as the 2002 home and 2005 third (black with white/red stripe) but the current kits are absolutely shocking with that awful v-neck collar, only good point is that the away kit isn't white! I hate it whenever we've had a white away kit.

I remember the old shorts very well, the material used to be more "shinier" than the shirts, and they were so short you'd chafe your groins after running about too much in them! I recall them going out of fashion in the early 90's, when Spurs and Liverpool brought out new kits (think it was 91/92 season) with longer shorts made out of similar material to the shirt, which got ridiculed at first but soon after all teams adopted the style.

I got the 2001 Italy Kappa shirt. It's an official match standerd shirt like the ones the players wear on the field.

Now normally I'm a size large but when I received it in the post I couldnt believe how small it was, it looked more like a size small.
I exchanged it for a size Xtra Large and it's a bit better but still on the small side. I'm quite tall too so the sleeves are a little short [i got long sleeved version].

It's still a very cool shirt though and I wear it when playing footie often. I even got the no. 10 on the back! :D

I've got to totally agree with you about that fucking awful welsh collar, possibly the worst national kit going.

Liverpool's short this season are a little bit shorter than usual too, nowhere near the 70's plastic carrier bag ones, I am just hoping they don't make a return.

I wouldn't have minded if it was a simple v-neck like what Portugal and Man U got on their jerseys, but its so bad it makes the v-neck off the Liverpool 95/96 kit look good! :shock:

The tight kits have a very simple purpose, to cut down on fabric. It weighs less, and there is less for people to grab at. I actually prefer to play in a tighter jersey top, because there is less for me to be dragged down to the ground by a defender with.
You gotta realize that the people these are made for are professional athletes, so naturally they will be physically fit.

What about the all in one job that Cameroon had a couple years ago? Beats the Welsh kit in the tightness stakes.

I have no problem with the tighter kits myself. It's all about cutting edge fabric technology I suppose. Better for the players. The only problem comes for the replica wearing fan sporting a beer belly, not a pretty sight...

It wouldn't matter if the likes of Newcastle had a tight-fit shirt, after all, the beer drinking element of their supporters don't wear a shirt anyway :lol:

whats even more disturbing is that more companies are going for the tighter jerseys.
Nike,
Adidas,
Reebok,
Puma,
Diadora, etc
man, i wanna wear my club's jersey. its just difficult to find a size that is comfortable. i cant buy the vintage ones because the originals cost a fortune while the knockoffs are not worth it!

I think it really helps the player wearing a fitting top on.Not tight fit/spandex type but just fitted...It helps them to move better.It gets rid of that "Something is clinging onto my shoulder" feeling.Nike has developed their technology to overcome this.Their idea is not to let the players feel as if they are wearing their kits.Like in tennis,we used to see players pull up their short sleeves to make their swing better but now we dont.Just notice Roger Federer when he plays.

Back
Top Bottom