Surprise package for the World Cup

I really don't think Serbia is a surprise package. I already expected them to be a good team. If anything, North Korea because of the way they played.

Depends to what degree you personally define 'surprise' package to be honest which I guess will be different for different people.

For me Serbia is something I would consider surprise package though not as much as my other choices like Switzerland because though many respect them and like yourself expect them to be good, how many actually rated them as Grade A team? Among the top 3-5 contenders? For most people they're not. So that makes them a Grade B team and anything below a Grade A can be considered a surprise package. Some of course will be more fancied than others like Serbia compared to Swiss pre-world cup. Nonetheless both are what I'd consider surprise packages to win world cup so for me they apply.

But of course if we were to be much more strict with this term and use it only for TRUE under-dogs like lowest ranked teams, then yeah North Korea and New Zealand so far are among the biggest surprises.

Chile, if they beat Switzerland.

They would top the group (goal difference permitting) and Spain will have to play Brazil in the next round.

Back
Top Bottom