Tactical tips and discussion. FORMATION QUESTIONS HERE!

Well, I got a bit tired of studying tonight and went ahead and threw together an attacking formation based on my above post... I started with a 4-3-3 from above, but ended up going with a 3-4-3 in game...

---------------------------------------/-----
---------<--<LB----<--LH-----<LW-----
----------------------------\----------------
---------------------------------------------
GK-<--<SW--<--<DM----<-OH---<CF>
----------------------------/----------------
---------<--<RB----<--RH----<RW-----
---------------------------------------\-----

I played BABB with Zone Press, and OppAttack manual tactics on... with Attack level at 4. Although, I was experimenting over the course of 4 games and found playing just BABB with no manual tactics and attack level 3 to be plenty attacking.

My lineup was:

---------------------------------------------------------------
--------------Riise---------Beasley--------Kewell----------
GK-----Taylor-----Gerrard---------LeTallec--------Ciise-
--------------Evra---------Donovan-------Owen-----------

And it was plenty fun bossing a team full of quick midfielders around. Crazy passing, anyone can score (although it was mostly the Ciise and Pwen show) with Gerrard and LeTallec switching as the role of playmaker.

Defense was a chore, could be bothersome for those not good at it when playing against the CPU, and probably downright impossible in multiplayer games. Perhaps, if I tinkered with the personel, I could make this the attacking "Formation A" strategy, and mix it into a base 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 formation. That may be worth trying. Oh well, for now off too bed.

Perhaps someone will be able to make a more balanced 3-4-3 (as this eventually turned into) than this, like I said, I just threw it together and didn't really tinker with the defensive aspects.

Enjoy.

Which are the differences or in general all the things that happen when you use a player without its proper position? I mean for example, putting two forwards in the center and put their positions as LFW or RFW... do they tend to go to the sides? or there is no difference at all?

eatontj said:
Well, I got a bit tired of studying tonight and went ahead and threw together an attacking formation based on my above post... I started with a 4-3-3 from above, but ended up going with a 3-4-3 in game...

---------------------------------------/-----
---------<--<LB----<--LH-----<LW-----
----------------------------\----------------
GK-<--<SW--<--<DM----<-OH---<CF>
----------------------------/----------------
---------<--<RB----<--RH----<RW-----
---------------------------------------\-----

I played BABB with Zone Press, and OppAttack manual tactics on... with Attack level at 4. Although, I was experimenting over the course of 4 games and found playing just BABB with no manual tactics and attack level 3 to be plenty attacking.

My lineup was:

--------------Riise---------Beasley--------Kewell----------
GK-----Taylor-----Gerrard---------LeTallec--------Ciise-
--------------Evra---------Donovan-------Owen-----------

And it was plenty fun bossing a team full of quick midfielders around. Crazy passing, anyone can score (although it was mostly the Ciise and Pwen show) with Gerrard and LeTallec switching as the role of playmaker.

Defense was a chore, could be bothersome for those not good at it when playing against the CPU, and probably downright impossible in multiplayer games. Perhaps, if I tinkered with the personel, I could make this the attacking "Formation A" strategy, and mix it into a base 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 formation. That may be worth trying. Oh well, for now off too bed.

Perhaps someone will be able to make a more balanced 3-4-3 (as this eventually turned into) than this, like I said, I just threw it together and didn't really tinker with the defensive aspects.

Enjoy.

For a balanced 3-4-3, you'll simply need to field wingbacks like J. Zanetti and Cafu in midfield or even dmf's that can play on the sides like Appiah or even Gerrard.

I finished trying out my formation, somehow Del Piero has played worse in his role a bit further on the right as I seemed a bit unsettled, i'm so used to him playing on the left. I'm not THAT good with switching formations, imo it often disturbes a teams balance, it 's onlu usefull when you wan to move for example your cf to the one of the flanks.

Fiore played better on the right with a arrow to the sides. Nedved worse he seemed to be getting in Maresca's way. So i'm putting DP back on the left and Nedved won't cut in.

Yeah, I used my ML team for the 3-4-3 experiment, and I don't have a plethora of wingback type players, although I could just move my SBs up and use CBs there instead.

As for your formation woes, perhaps you play better with a formation that is "unbalanced". That is, with DP, Maresca, and Nedved attacking on the left, perhaps overloading one side suits your style of play. So yeah, stick with what works. Nobody likes to lose.

Keep posting people!

eatontj said:
Yeah, I used my ML team for the 3-4-3 experiment, and I don't have a plethora of wingback type players, although I could just move my SBs up and use CBs there instead.

Well you do have Gerrard right, so you could field him on one of the sides.

eatontj said:
As for your formation woes, perhaps you play better with a formation that is "unbalanced". That is, with DP, Maresca, and Nedved attacking on the left, perhaps overloading one side suits your style of play. So yeah, stick with what works. Nobody likes to lose.

Keep posting people!

Yes I'll stick to whichever formation works best.

Eaton, i want Zambo back in midfield, because he is so much more effective in midfield. I want to keep playing with 4 defenders though and i want Maresca in my team and not as a dmf.

How do you suggest I alter my formation? thanks in advance.

I play on quick settings 'side attack'

.............Kiraly.................

Zanetti.....Cordoba...Nesta...Sorin

......Davids......
Totti........ ......Rivaldo.....

............Henry...

...Ronaldo...

Don Domenico said:
Eaton, i want Zambo back in midfield, because he is so much more effective in midfield. I want to keep playing with 4 defenders though and i want Maresca in my team and not as a dmf.

Hmmm... well, a few questions.

1. If you want to play without a true DMF entirely you can play with a 4-5-1 with two CMFs... is this suitable?
2. If you want to stick with a 4-4-2 who do you want to drop? Nedved because of his poor crossing?
3. Do you have another DMF that you'd rather play with and make Maresca your "Playmaker"?

Sorry it took a bit to get to your post, but I was finishing my exams so I was a bit harried. Now I have all the time in the world.

eatontj said:
Don Domenico said:

Hmmm... well, a few questions.

1. If you want to play without a true DMF entirely you can play with a 4-5-1 with two CMFs... is this suitable?
2. If you want to stick with a 4-4-2 who do you want to drop? Nedved because of his poor crossing?
3. Do you have another DMF that you'd rather play with and make Maresca your "Playmaker"?

Sorry it took a bit to get to your post, but I was finishing my exams so I was a bit harried. Now I have all the time in the world.

First I almost forgot this question :D, i'm playing a lot of friendlies recently instead of my ML. When i play with Italy is just play Zambo as leftback now and for Juve right midfield. I'm not that keen as before for Zambo to play in the midfield, i wouldn't mind it ofcourse ;).

Anway to answer your questions:
1. No I don't think this is suitable. You mean drop a dmf so Zambo can move up to midfield, but then i would only have Maresca to fit as cmf of the players still left in the starting 11.

2. Yes maybe Nedved, Fiore is too effective. Although recently I stopped playing ML for a while and playing just with the regular Juve, Zambo than sometimes still playes on the right.
Talking about Juve in the game, what formation would you play? with which players?

3. Yes I have another dmf i could play with and make Maresca my playmaker.
I assume you have an udated option file, how are Maresca stats/special abilites in your game? And Miccoli's?(I hope i can bother you with these questions).

I don't mind your late reaction.

Thanks in advance.

ALSO...what all of you see at the usual 4-4-2? I mean everyone loves that formation, but in fact I see it nowhere near as 3-4-3 for example...I don´t find any advantages with the 4-4-2. In fact, the counterattacking is worse with the first one, and defence with the latter is not much worse than the usual 4-4-2...

Don Domenico said:
Anway to answer your questions:
1. No I don't think this is suitable. You mean drop a dmf so Zambo can move up to midfield, but then i would only have Maresca to fit as cmf of the players still left in the starting 11.

2. Yes maybe Nedved, Fiore is too effective. Although recently I stopped playing ML for a while and playing just with the regular Juve, Zambo than sometimes still playes on the right.
Talking about Juve in the game, what formation would you play? with which players?

3. Yes I have another dmf i could play with and make Maresca my playmaker.
I assume you have an udated option file, how are Maresca stats/special abilites in your game? And Miccoli's?(I hope i can bother you with these questions).

I don't mind your late reaction.

Thanks in advance.

From the way you said you play (counter-attack) I won't recommend the 4-5-1, but it would be the way I would play it with Juve. I'd play with a defensive back 4 (would try to keep the SBs hanging back). Then I'd stagger 4 along the midfield with Fiore and Zambrotta wide, a DMF of your choice and Maresca as a CMF. Then I'd put DelPeiro in the hole and have Gilardino as the lone stiker.

Something like this is how I'd play with Juve. Because they are so strong defensively, I prefer a build up attack as they can quickly cover on defense so I would get up the field slowly. Esp. with DelPeiro able to hold up the ball.

--------SB------LH---------------------
-----------------------------------------
-----CB-----DM-------OH--------------
GK--------------------------------------
-------CB-------CM------------CF-----
-----------------------------------------
--------SB---------RH------------------

Since you like the counter attack, you will need either 2 stirkers or 1 striker, 2 OMFs to make sure that more than one player is staying up the field, and you'll need a link up player to launch counters.

I'd reccomend making a formation that sets the defense a bit further back, but with aggresive positioning. What I mean is that you let the opposition get closer to your goal before you defend, but once they get to your back line+ DMF you are able to close down quickly with multiple players. I think a diamond-type defense would work well for you.

For the midfield set up Maresca as either an OMF or CMF but put him up the field a bit, in the middle. Set up Zambrotta and Fiore on the outside (perhaps as OMFs with attacking arrows digaonally forward and outside...) Pick a DMF and use him along with your defenders as the pressing player. Try to create a defensive system where your back 4 can stop your opponent and your DMF can press all the time. If you have Davids still, he'd be perfect.

On offense, Maresca will be your link player between the defense and forwards, so you'll have to play through him all the time... sounds like you want to so should work out great for you.

Anwyay, that seems to best way to counter with Juve, if you argree, try to make a formation based on what I suggested and let us know how it works.

Oh, and I play WE7I (Jap) with Kezz's CM converted option file. It's the best way to play for me.

Everything is great advice Eaton, and i'll try it but...
When did I write i play a counter-attacking system ?!

Also i actually meant to ask what formation would you use with the standard Juve team? (Fiore etc aren't Juve players).
Ps. I don't have Davids.

Don Domenico said:
Everything is great advice Eaton, and i'll try it but...
When did I write i play a counter-attacking system ?!

Also i actually meant to ask what formation would you use with the standard Juve team? (Fiore etc aren't Juve players).
Ps. I don't have Davids.

Whoops, it was Distefano who said he used a counter formation... whoops.

As for the real Juve team, I usually use the default system as I only play with them in exhibition games and Kezz (in his option file) has done a great job of making sure teams play with a more "real-life" formation by default, so I use those. Although Kezz may have just left the Konami default Juve formation in...

Anyway, I'd probably want to play with a 4-5-1 formation with Trez up top, with Del Peiro and Nedved in supporting OMF roles... DP a more central OMF and Nedved attacking from an outside->in role. I'd make a SH on the opposite side of Nedved and have a central DMF and CMF to work in tandem as ball winners/holders. Back line would be standard, but I'd use a sweeper system as I'm currently playing around with one in a new formation.

Hopefully, I'll put up a new 4-5-1/4-4-2 Hybrid tomorrow that combines the best of my original 4-5-1 and my 4-4-2 (the one will all the backwards "attacking" arrows).

manoleteloveman said:
just one thing gazjones78...and the player 11th?

:lol: Good question! I missed my most important player, Zidane! I also use L2 + R2 to play high up the pitch if im playing well, if not I pack my half and counter.

This is how it should have looked....

<<<<<<<<<Kiraly<<<<<<<<<
Zaneti<<Nesta<<Cordoba<<Sorin<

<<<<<<<<Davids<<<<<<<<<<

<Totti<<<<<<<<<<<<Rivaldo<<

<<<<<<Zidane<<<<<<<<<<<<

<<Henry<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Ronaldo<<<<

This team battered Fulham 8-0 in the cup last night.Henry with 4 and Roni with 3 but they only got 7.5 each! How harsh???

This is a really great thread guys. :D

I've been working on another formation of mine, which I think has came out quite well because I've won 5 games straight with it. It's a 3-5-2.. I usually like to play with wingers but with this formation I only use 1 winger and a CF.

<--CB-------------------------<--CMF>-----------------------------------------
-------------------------------------- \ -------------- /---------------------------
---------------------------------------------------<OMF>------------<CF>-----
<--CB--------------- / ---------------------/------------------------------------
------------------<-DMF---------------<-OMF>---------------------------------
-----------------------------/----------------------------------/------------------
<--CB----------------<--CMF> --------------------------<RWF>--------------

It's a good counter-attacking formation and it's really all about support. Almost all of my players are pushing towards the left side of the field except that one CMF... and to see that one OMF drop back for support, or watch him criss-crossing his teammates while he makes a run is just lovely. Team strategy...everything is a C except Counter which is an A, and pressing which is a B. Then I use :square: :x: as my manual strategies for counter and pressing. My attack is at 3 and my mark settings is covering for all my Cbs, my DMF, and my two CMFs. The CPU seems to have trouble plugging up the holes when I counter, so there's usually someone open.... which is usually my lone winger.

I'll be back with my 3-4-3, my fav formation outta all.

one thing yoshiaki, when you are defending don´t you have problems with the huge gap between your left CMF and the left DMF? It seems to be a very important devoid of players in such a central part of the pitch...Anyway, I would have a go with your formation

distefano said:
so, inspired by eatonj and his argumentations about beeing bored at work, i decided to work out my favorite defensive line-up.

|----------------<--DH>------|----------------------------------|
|======--------------------|------------------------======|
|---------|<-CB---------------|----------------------|-----------|
|===----|---------------------|----------<OH>-----|----====|
|----|----|---------------------|-----------------------|--<CF>--|
|-GK|----|<-CB----<-DH>--|-----------------------|----|------|
|----|----|---------------------|----------/----------/-|----|------|
|===----|--------------------|-----<-OH>------<CF>---====|
|---------|<-CB---------------|------------------------|----------|
|======--------------------|------------------------======|
|---------------<--DH>-------|-----------------------------------|

[/code]

I tried distefano's formation and I like it :D ! but I use only 1 DMF. Here is my formation:

----------------------------------Casillas-----------------------------------------

----------Helguera(CB)----Hierro(CB) :mrgreen: -------Suarez(CB)---------

Salgado(RB)-----------------------------------------------------------Carlos(LB)

---------------------------------Beckham(DMF)-----------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Zidane(OMF)--------------------
--------------------Figo(OMF)------------------------------------------------------

----------------------Raul(CF)-----------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------Ronaldo(CF)-------------------

It is not defensive or catenaccio at all! This formation will stimulate The CPU's SBs to go forward very often, leaving their CB's and DMF's only at the back.

Oh man! The result? Plenty of 4-on-4, or 2-on-2 opportunities, and using one-twos I have lots of 1-on-1 chances with the keeper.
-During corners or defense, I clear the ball to Beckham, and he can send long passes directly to Ronnie or Raul :D . Becks's great at winning headers too!
-I put forward offensive arrows for the SBs

Other formation like 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 seems more defensive than offensive to me! I tried them and it's very hard to win the ball with those formations.

This 5-3-2 formation is much much more attacking! :shock:

manoleteloveman said:
one thing yoshiaki, when you are defending don´t you have problems with the huge gap between your left CMF and the left DMF? It seems to be a very important devoid of players in such a central part of the pitch...Anyway, I would have a go with your formation

The alignment for that post is off, the formation I use has my DMF smack dab in the middle. :oops: Sorry for the mishap :shock: :oops: But yeah it is a great formation, especially for counter-attacks or counter-counter attacks (when your counter attack breaks down and the CPU tries to clear but there is my DMF or OMF or CMF to intercept the clearance).

Well, my 3-4-3 is like my above formation except I put my Left sided OMF into a winger and I turn my withdrawn OMF into an attacking CMF, and my two CMF's into DMFs... I beat the CPU so bad with that formation.

Yoshiaki, I've also been playing with 1 WF and 1 CF lately and it works out very well for me, as I like to crowd the midfield. The CF ensures I always have a central attacking presence and the WF always gives me a wide attacking option. This allows me to really tinker with the midfield where I currently have 2 OMFs, 1 CMF, and 1 DMF (who plays the holding role just in front of the back 4) and this works very well.

It's still a 4-4-2 formation but it plays like a very attacking 4-5-1. The DMF and CMF win most of the balls on defense and get forward enough to take some long shots as well. The CMF manages to get into the box for crosses as well, which works great because my CMF is Gerrard and he finishes quite well. The 2 OMFs, WF, and CF frequently run fast breaks, or tricky passes/dribbles in the build-up attack.

Defensively, I still use the backwards attacking arrows to keep my SBs back which really helps keep posession for the way I play. I like to have the option to pass back to the SBs to re-angle the attack instead of having them overlap the outside all the time.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I agree that a WG/CF combo is very effective.

I would like to know if all of you see the advantages of using and changing different formations along the match...I mean, since I read in some forums It was really useful, I tried it. However, until now It seems to produce a tactical mess, which has a backdraw especially when I have to defend and It doesn´t create as much attaking options as i thought...all of you disagree? is It that I make the formation change not properly?

manoleteloveman said:
I would like to know if all of you see the advantages of using and changing different formations along the match...I mean, since I read in some forums It was really useful, I tried it. However, until now It seems to produce a tactical mess, which has a backdraw especially when I have to defend and It doesn´t create as much attaking options as i thought...all of you disagree? is It that I make the formation change not properly?

I don't use the formation change to completely change to a different formation... others on this forum do and say they enjoy it, but I've never had the same success with it as they have.

For my in-game formation change tactic I do 2 different things instead:

1. Change the formation for essentially just one player. I change the formation to create a specific "run" off the ball for one player. For example, one of my more successful iterations is to move my central attacking midfield up to a CF role (creating a forward run for my center mid) while splitting my two CFs to the wing.

The effect in the game is quite nice. The two CFs split to the outside pulling the CBs with them while my OMF dashes forward into the space to recieve a through pass of some sort which can result in a 1 v. 1 with the keeper. With a bit of tinkering I've made this formation change pretty effective.

2. Just change the arrows of players. In this quick formation change, the players position doesn't change at all, but the players arrows do. I usually play with my defenders and DMF having backwards attacking arrows to keep them from making forward overlapping runs that put them too far up field. But when I activate my in-game formation tactic, I switch some of the arrows forward to quickly overload the attacking area. My favorite is to make the in-game formation tactic give attacking arrows to my CBs who then run into the box for headers. This is pretty effective but it should only be used sparringly when the opponent has few players waiting in forward counter-attacking positions.

These are the two ways I use the in-game formation tactics without fully changing formations. I feel that using the manual attack level does the tirck for changing from a defensive minded team to an offensive minded team, so I don't see the need to completely change my formation. But I play with a 4-4-2/4-5-1 hybrid that is quite balanced so changing formations in-game seems needless.

Hope this helps.

6211PES3_formation-med.jpg

NB.
>>>>This link above doesn't appear to work on my screen, but the URL is valid, if you paste it into a browser it will show the correct image.<<<<

I have done images to llustrate my formations. Only small files so they take seconds to load up. Check the image then read the description.

MORPHING 3-5-2.

This is designed really for your ML team, but can be tweaked to work with loads of teams.
It requires use of the manual strategies. To set this up you need to firstly set the default formation and player line up. The numbers in the image correspond to specific players in specific positions, and are very important. I'll leave the team selection to you. But here is the idea.
Set your default team (copy image pitch 1)
Copy this to Formation A and B in the strategy menu (just so you have a template to work from.)
Go into Formation A now and edit it the same as the pitch 2.
Repeat this for third image with pitch 3.
Go into manual strategy and assign :triangle: to Formation A.
Assign :square: to Formation B.
If done correctly, during gameplay you will be able to switch formations with the press of :l2: AND :triangle: OR :square:
The idea is that the default team is really balanced, Formation A is attacking, and Formation B is defensive. If you can keep track of these, you will be unbeatable.

I've come up with a nice formation for others to try.

A edited 3-4-1-2, choose a 3-5-2 formation.

Line it up something like this:

-----------CF-----CF

--------------OMF

LMF-----CMF----DMF----RMF

-------CB-----CB----CB

--------------gk

At least two out of three CB's need to have a good ability to 'run'. Need to be lively defenders, so good speed and stamina. They need to cover a lot of ground and defend a big zone.

One of your dmf's can be used for pure protection, but if he has any skill going forwards it's very usefull from that position, someone like Baraja, or Emerson would ideal if you go for star players.

You cmf needs to be a real two-way player, someone who can join the line of attack, but can also cover the defence when needed. A good passer would be ideal. A playmaker wouldn't be bad either.

Now the lmf/rmf are maybe your most important players in this line-up. The wingbacks..
You'll look to start MOST (sometimes with the cmf) attacks with these players, while at the same time they need to cover the flanks. In attack they're your wingers and in defence the side-backs.
A player like Mancini (if you're going for stars), if he is in your game, would be ideal. Zambrotta isn't bad for this formation either.
You can use your wingbacks to really cause damage down the flanks and cross in, or either cut in a little bit and pass to the OMF.
Dmf's who can play on the flank are good too.

Your omf doesn't neceassarily need to be a playmaker, as you'll look to create your attacks from one of the wingbacks and/or cmf.
Don't get me wrong though, a playmaker is just as amazing, but i'd suggesta really attacking playmaker than like Totti(when going for a star player). A support striker is just as good. Someone who can shoot, deliver a through ball and do some magic on his own is very handy.
You'll look to use the omf a lot on the counters and be in a good position to give the final shot or through ball.

Your strikers can differ. It really depends on how you play with the wingbacks(the smf's). If you tend to be more of a crosser at least one of the strikers needs to be powerfull and needs to head well.
If you cut in with your wingbacks you'll might want to have a player who's slightly more technical and more a finisher. A combination of those two would work to: Vieri and Chevanton for example.

I hope someone will try this formation out, any questions just ask.
Any player reccomandations(also cheap ones), just ask.

-Thanks.

It just seems as an usual 3-5-2...but you haven´t said anything about any attaking arrows which can make the difference in this formation....

Yeah the 1 WF/CF has worked wonders for me, and also I play a sweeper defense now, and it's been a wonder, because I would usually play just normal defense, but now I use Vorlander as a sweeper (in my new ML). 3-5-2, with 2 DMFs a CMF, LMF, and a OMF it has been my best so far, because I use that extra DMF for marking the other team's target man.

RuneEdge in fact there are loads of superb formations with three attakers, an I consider those type of formations the best ones as they have proved to be both defending and attaking very useful...Since I started playing Pro evolution( in playstation 1) I have been using the 4-3-3( the one with two DMF) with very good results. However, in this last version, I have chosen the 3-4-3 as I have managed to defend better with three at the back (but I still consider 4-3-3 a very good one) and I also get more attaking chances. Anyway my formation is:

-----LFW---FW----RFW
----------OMF--------
LMF---------------------RMF
----------DMF--------
-----CB---CB-----CB

I use attaking arrows for the DMF side left and side right so he covers the side spaces the midfielders leave and for the SMFs I put the diagonally forward arrow pointing outside so they don´t crowd the box because I put the three forwards a forward attaking arrow.... For the defensive attitude, the CBS, DMF, and both SMFs have it high (especially important for the SMF or they will leave too much space at the back when I don´t have the ball.) And the rest of the team has a normal attitude. Therefore, all this defensive attitudes have the result that when I don´t have the ball I get almost a 5-2-3 . For strategies, I use opp.side attack and counter attack (this last one is essential). I never use the zone press strategy for I think It is useless against skillfull human players and It produces a waste of energy in the players. Instead of pressing, I tend to look at the radar not only when attacking but also when defending so I can keep the shape of the team and for not creating loads of space.
When attacking, I take advantage of the opp.side attack so there is plenty of space to do 1-2 passes and for individual play...Also, my formation provides (like all ones that have three for the counterattack) great danger when I can steal the ball and build up a swift attack...Hence the possibilities are plenty...
To sum up, I use this formation as It provides to produce a good balance between attack and defence. I hope it helps

I used to abuse the 4-4-2 diamond until I played a random match with Greece against Spain at work...
Greece are using a 5-3-2 formation and it worked surprisingly well against Spain: I had most of the possession, got a lot of loose balls back and could make up for the lack of physical strength with outrageous fortune :)

Back
Top Bottom