Tactical tips and discussion. FORMATION QUESTIONS HERE!

EatonTJ

Why Today Doesn't Suck.
11 April 2002
Here's a thread I think we need since many good threads about formations fall to the wayside after a few days.

Post questions or tips about WE/PES (as they are pretty much the same) tactics here and we can all try and answer them.

Hopefully, we can bring some more joy out of WE as it's been a while since a new release. I always enjoy making new tactics as it makes me employ new players and helps me get more out of a game I've played so many times.

Feel free to be as creative as possible... I've made a 4-1-5 tactic before and it worked wonders... you never know until you try.

Also, if you want to debate the best way to cross the ball (I prefer an early :l1: :circle: from deep) or the best defensive strategies for multiplay (no more getting scored on from counter attacks)... post it all here.

I will kick things off with a few posts I've made in the past, and one new one based on my newest tactic.

Enjoy.

eatontj: 4-4-2 *****CURRENTLY PLAYED FORMATION****

NOTE: EDITED FORMATION, PUT IN < ATTACKING ARROWS... FORGOT TO PUT THEM IN, THEY ARE CRUCIAL

My latest formation, a derivation on the 4-4-2. By turning the typical "RH" into an "OH" I've been able to mix up the attack very well and create a bit of more space for my top striker to make to long ball a bit more effective. Plus, it's my first formation utilizing long defensive arrows for the SBs... very effective.

==========================/============
--------------------------------|--------<--LH>---------------------
------<--<LB-----------------|------------------------------------
--------------------------------|------------------------------------
---<--<CB----------<-DM---|---------------<CF----------------
GK-----------------------------|------------------------------------
-----------------------------<-OH---------------------------<CF>-
---<--<CB--------------------|------------------------------------
--------------------------------|---------/---------------------------
--------------------------------|--<--OH---------------------------
--------------<--RB-----------|------------------------------------
======================================

Attacking arrows:
>
/
\
<

Defensive arrows:
<
<-
<--

It may not be exactly right (the positioning) but it's something like this. It plays out like a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3 depending on where the ball is in attack... one of my better formations I've made in a while.

I've got:

Dudek
Evra---M.Taylor---Hofland---Riise
Donovan---LeTallec---Gerrard---Kewell
----------------------Ciise-----------------
------------Owen--------------------------

as my typical starting lineup. It has worked very well for me in multi and against the CPU so I'm pretty happy.

I play with BABB (A for Pressing) and the manual strategies Press and Opp.Attack. Of course manual attack level as well to mix it up.

The way it plays out typically is that Taylor, Hofland, and Riise stay back always (Riise makes the very occasional run up the left, but only when I'm making it happen on a give-and-go :l1: ) and are able to keep possesion with short passes until I can either (in order of preference):
1. Lay the ball to a waiting Gerrard to start the attack
2. Open up Evra in the right "wingback" position
3. Open up Kewell in the left "wing" position
*4. (*sometimes 1.) play a long manual pass ( :circle: ) to a streaking LeTallec, Donovan, Ciise, or Owen. This long pass works very well in counter situations, or even after passing quickly across the back line.
5. :l1: :circle: :circle: pass to "target man" (Ciise)

If I can get the ball to Gerrard, I can work with him and ALT up the middle and can usally release Donovan or Owen with a long :triangle: . Or work a series of short passes until getting a good chance.

Offensively, it's very nice, really let's me play "beautiful football" as I see it with either a quick succesion of passes/lay-offs, a long throughball to a player making a run, or attempt a mazy dribble run... all depending on the run of play at the time. A nice formation that lets you attack from all angles.

But, I made this formation for defensive purposes in multiplayer. I was absolutely fed up with my fullbacks getting too far upfield and overlapping (in the modern 4-4-2, fullbacks are not designed to overlap, yet Konami sets them to do so by default it seems) the halfs opening myself up to deadly counter attacks.

After a bit of fiddling, I decided that I would never give a SB a forward arrow, and that all of my defenders would have long defensive arrows (<--) (EDIT: Also, I gave my LB and 2 CBs backwards attacking arrows < very imprortant to achieve them defenders staying back!) so I would always have at least one more defender back than the opponent has attackers. It definitely works wonders... for those of you who like to design tactics I suggest doing this in every formation.

Now, the SBs still can get up the field (obviously, if I'm controlling them, they will go wherever I want) but their mentality is to get back to their defensive position whenever they are not involved in the offensive play. To encourage this, I usually have them give up the ball about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the pitch whether it be a short pass to an attacker, or an early cross (early crosses... VERY effective).

The CBs stay back always and mop up and clearances to break up counters and re-start the attack. I used to have problems with opponents being able to play long clearances diagaonally to their attackers (since my SBs would be out of position) much to my chagrin... now, this is no more. I now relish a long clearance as I win nearly all of them (still working on the differences that having the SB/CBs "Cover" or "Man Mark" to try and improve). And if my opponent is somehow able to quickly get the ball to the attackers, I usually outnumber them 2:1 so I can press immediately to try and turn the ball over without worrying about getting beaten on the dribble.

The outside midfielders (Donovan 'OH' and Kewell 'SH') also have <-- defensive arrows to make sure they come all the way back as quickly as possible to cover defensively on lost possesion. This is working well, I never found it to be too effective when they outside midfielders would stay up the field, I'd rather there be more room for the CFs. Anyway, it works and they don't lose their attacking metality either.

Oh, and the reason I have Donovan as an 'OH' instead of a 'SH' is to set up a better right side partnership with Owen. This way, Donovan doesn't hang out on the sidelines unless play is slowly building up the right side. Instead, Donovan is usually making runs to the top of the penalty area playing "in the hole" on ocassion. This gives Owen full reign over the right side which allows me to put a lot of manual :circle: passes into space for Owen to run in to. Plus, I'd rather have Donovan in for headers instead of Owen.

The two inside halfs play with default medium defensive arrows as I've never had problems with them coming back to the right spots for defensive cover. Gerrard does great intercepting passes when the opponent is in my half leaving me free to press with ALT all day. I've giving the central OH (ALT) a short defensive arrow, but it never worked well, he just stayed up with the strikers and never came back (for both defense and offense). Also, no attacking arrows for either of them as I want them to stay near each other in attack to support each other. Don;t worry, they still make attacking runs, but they come back instead of staying with the CFs if the run fails.

The other big task to accomplish in this formation (besides keeping the SBs back in defense instead of overlapping) was to get the DMF in the position of hovering outside the opponents penalty area when I'm in possesion... finally, I've been able to do so. I now cream the shite out of balls in long range efforts with Gerrard AND can restart the attack to him instead of having to go all the way back to a defender. In the past, the DMF would either wander to far into attack (putting too many people forward leaving me with no back passes), or stay too far back (and opposing CFs would cover any back passes or long shot situations). So, I'm very happy to have worked this out... I think it's because:
1. I have Gerrard far enough back positionally (if you put a DMF too far up, they are constantly making runs into the box) AND
2. With the SBs staying back, he no longer has to cover for them and can stay a bit more forward and not "mark" the opposing CFs.

Ok, the only people left to discuss are the CFs. The short defensive arrows are no brainers... I don't want them coming back to defend (as they sometimes used to do) and leaving me with no options to pass to when I do win possesion back. Obviously, they are staggered so that Ciise is the target Striker and Owen stays on the last defender (hence Owen's attacking arrow). This works fine, but with two OH's there almost is no need for a target player in Ciise, so he's rarely used in that fashion (it is useful to have the option, especially with the quick :l1: :circle: :circle: in a multi game). But, by keeping Ciise off the last man, it is a lot easier to get the ball to him to flick on to another attacker, plus, it means he's running into the box for crosses, something very effective. The two CFs work in a good tandem, nothing really new here.

Ok, so that's it. A disection of my latest formation. Probably my best formation I've made so far. A bit better positionally than my 4-5-1... although if I put those long defensive arrows and backwards attacking arrows to good use in the 4-5-1 I make prefer it once again.

eatontj: 4-5-1

eatontj said:
This is what I've used, a custom 4-5-1. I get tons of chances and goal from all over.

Here is a copy of an email I sent to someone asking for it, everyone I have sent it to said it works great for them, enjoy:

Ok, start with the formation 4-5-1 B.

1. Move both SBs forward up two clicks.

2. Move top CBs one click forward, and one click down. Change position from CB to SW.

3. Move the lower CB two clicks forward and one click up.

4. Move the upper DM three clicks forward. Make sure position is DMF.

5. Move the lower DM three clicks forward and one click down. Make sure position is CMF.

6. Move the top SH four clicks forward and two clicks up. Make sure position is LMF.

7. Move the bottom SH four clicks forward and two clicks down. Make sure position is RMF.

No editing for the GK, OMF, and CF.

Ok, now for the arrows:

Offensive arrows:

LSB -> /
LMF ->

SW DMF

GK <- OMF -> CF

CB -> CMF ->

RMF ->
RSB -> \

I'm not sure if you'll be able to see what is above (i.e. if format changes in the email) so:

LSB = forward arrow
SW = No Arrow
CB = forward arrow
RSB = Forward arrow

LMF = Forward arrow and diagonal Forward/up arrow.
DMF = no Arrow
OMF = Forward arrow and Back arrow
CMF = Forward arrow
RMF = Forward arrow and diagonal Forward/down arrow.

CF = no arrow.

For defensive arrows:

all have regular back arrows except for CB and DMF who both have long back arrows. I've been toying with making the CFs arrow short as he does sometimes come back a bit to far. You might want to test that out.

OK, my team selection is:

LSB: Riise
SW: Hyypia
CB: J. Terry (some CB that can get forward)
RSB: Finnan

LMF: Kewell
DMF: Gerrard
OMF: Tough position to field, usually a tall forward. but can be a midfielder with good ball skills, depends on the opponent.
CMF: J.Cole (Le Tallec)
RMF: Diouf

CF: Owen

Ok, I play with the attack level one click over to the right at 4. No tactics usually, sometimes a zone press or counter attack, or opp. side attack.

Play and let me know how you like it.

hope you have more success.

cheers, Tyler

eatontj said:
Follow my step by step instructions for the exact positioning, but it basically looks like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------LSB-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------LMF--------------------------
--------SW------------DMF-------------------------------------
-GK---------------------------------------OMF---------CF------
-----------CB-----------CMF------------------------------------
------------------------------------RMF-------------------------
--------------RSB-----------------------------------------------

The arrows are really what make the formation work:

Offensive forward arrows (Red arrows going to the right, when formation screen is on the left): LSB, RSB, CB, CMF

Special arrows for 3 players:

OMF: Two red arrows - an offensive forward arrow and an offensive back arrow (basically, two red arrows, one pointing left, one pointing right.)

LMF, RMF: Two red arrows (each) - they both have an offensive forward arrow (a red arrow pointing to the right). For the second arrow... (now, it is up to you if you want to make them play more on the wing or more attacking up the middle. I usally have mine attack up the wings, but if I'm lacking a true outside mid, sometimes I will put a forward in the spot and have the player attack more inside) ... I usually give them both a diagonal forward and "out" arrow.

As it looks in my diagram, the RMFs arrow would be (diagonal) forward and down and the LMFs arrow would be (diaganol) forward and up. Having both arrows has these two positions play mostly down the sides, but sometimes sneak into the edge of the box around the penalty area on break. (if you want to make an outside mid come into the box more often, use diagonal forward and "in" arrows instead. Like I said before, I do this when I want another player attacking like a forward more often.)

For defensive arrows (the blue ones) just read my previous post, that explanation seemed simple.

Here is an attempt at a picture of my formation with all the RED ARROWS in the picture... (you still have to do the blue arrows, they are not shown).

--------------LSB>--------------------/--------------------------
-----------------------------------LMF>--------------------------
--------SW------------DMF-------------------------------------
-GK---------------------------------------<OMF>---------CF------
-----------CB>-----------CMF>------------------------------------
------------------------------------RMF>-------------------------
--------------RSB>---------------------\--------------------------

Hope this helps anyone who was confused with my formation... I spent a lot of time making it the first time and it is a really solid formation to play with the default ML AND with a team of great players. Defense is very solid and the offense gets lots of chances in many different ways... I use through balls and lots of early :l1: + :circle: (double taps) to free my forwards.

If you use it, let me know if you like it, or if I should change something, as I've been looking to improve it.

EDIT: and very important to play with the attack/defend bar at level '4'... one bar just before all out attack.

eatontj: 4-1-5

NOTE: This formation can no longer be made in WE7:I. I know it worked in WE7 and possible PES3 but it had to be made from the Valencia formation... To make it now, just move the 2 supporting CFs back to be OHs (as far up as OHs go) and it works about the same. The only change is to give the OHs short defensive arrows and bingo-bango-bongo they play like CFs again.

Also, this formation is ridiculously easy to score with ONLY if you are very good at individual defense... a lot of 1 v. 1 defending here.

eatontj said:
So, as requested here is my uber 4-1-5 formation. Enjoy.

|-----------------/-----------|------------------------------------|
|======------LB>--------|-------------------------==LWF==|
|---------|-------------------|------------------------|-----|\----|
|===----|-------------------|------------------------CF>-====|
|----|----|-------------------|------------------------|-\--|------|
|-GK|----SW---CB>--------CMF>-------------------|---CF>----|
|----|----|-------------------|------------------------|-/--|------|
|===----|-------------------|------------------------CF>-====|
|---------|-------------------|------------------------|-----|/----|
|======------RB>--------|-------------------------==RWF==|
|-----------------\-----------|------------------------------------|

Making this formation is a cinch, I'll explain.

(NOTE!: to make this formation you must start with the default Valencia formation so you can have 5 forwards... otherwise it is impossible. Make sure to change the OMF in the "position edit" LAST!!! Also, my directions are for when your formation editing is on the left side of the screen)

-----------Up/Down position-------------Forward/Back position

GK:----------no editing------------------------no editing

SW:--------Center of pitch------------on the penalty area line.

LB:------Even with the top-------------------as forward as possible
----------of the penalty area-----------------without being a midfielder

CB:----------Center of pitch------------------as forward as possible
-----------------------------------------------without being a midfielder

RB:------Even with the bottom---------------as forward as possible
----------of the penalty area-----------------without being a midfielder

CMF:----------Center of pitch---------------------Center of Pitch

LWF:-------Even with the top----------------Even with the goal area line
----------of the penalty area-------------------------(not the touchline)

RWF:-------Even with the bottom------------Even with the goal area line
----------of the penalty area-------------------------(not the touchline)

CF:--------Even with the top--------------------On penalty area line
-----------of the goal area-------------------------------------------

CF:---------Even with the bottom---------------on penalty area line-
---------------of the goal area-----------------------------------------

CF:------------Center of pitch---------------------on goal area line (not
----------------------------------------------------------the touchline)

Everyone has regular blue defensive arrows except for the SW who has a long blue arrow.

So make sure to play with a sweeper and use the tactic "CB overlap" on the CB when you want to add an attacker....

Sorry for the delay, if anyone has time let me know if they enjoy the same success (6-8 goals per game) as I am.

Here is my explanation of the 4-5-1 and the 4-1-5 courtesy of a Mr.Coopz question many months ago...

eatontj said:
MrCoopz said:
Tyler which teams do u think would have the best players to suit the 4-5-1 and 4-1-5?

Im loving the 4-5-1 with Barca Kliuvert holds up the ball and Queresma and Overmars come bombing outside him :)

4-5-1

I developed the 4-5-1 to create something close to total football... I wanted to put as many skilled midfielders on the field as possible and open up the pitch to maximize individual flair. Defensively, I knew my team would not be too strong, so I designed it from the defense forward to make sure there was always quick cover if posession was lost.

Best players for the 4-5-1 would be pacey midfielders that can dribble. An entire team of pacey/dribbling midfielders, outside of one solid SW/CB and a GK would fit the bill nicely.

Getting into specifics:

Outside players (both SHs and SBs) are ideally the faster players on the team so they can be released on the break. Dribbling ability is still the most important attribute. Obviously crossing ability is a plus, but it isn't a necessity as most goals will come from shots through the middle. Shorter players are fine, but take into account that the SHs will get opportunities to finish in the air somewhat frequently. Typical SH player example - Harry Kewell, Saviola, etc... Typical SB player - Kieron Dyer, Danny Murphy, A. Cole, etc...

The center pitch players (CB, DMF, CMF) can have a lot of variety. Speed here isn't too important, but passing and dribbling are key. They should all be able to win headers (Coopz, you've probably noticed how frequently either the CB,DMF, or CMF get onto the end of crosses) and should be able to hit a powerful rebound shot from range. The CB functions as a second DMF in offensive situations, but isn't likely to get too involved other than finishing crosses or restarting attack, so statistically he doesn't have to have supreme offensive abilities. Just get a CB that can get forward. Typical CB player - Lucio, Nesta, or even Hamann... Typical DMF - Gerrard, Veiria, Ballack... Typical CMF - Zidane, Beckham, .....

The SW is the last line of defense, never goes up field so concentrate on getting a hard nosed tall CB. Yes, Nesta, Lucio players would be great, but it may be a waste of their talents. Think more like Hyppia, Woodgate, etc. Not much explanation needed here.

Okay, the hardest two positions to field are the OMF and CF positions. Opting for a tall player to hold up the ball can be very effective, IF you actually chose to play in the correct manner. Using Kliuvert to hold the ball is a perfect example in how to do this, but putting Kliuvert on the pitch and expecting him to challenge defenders on his own will be horribly ineffective. So if you want to play with a tall holding player at CF that go for it, but if you want to attack with the CF directly, then you are going to need someone like Henry or RVN because its will be tough going as you will be facing many 1 v 2s. The OMF player be anyone from Zidane to Owen... depending on how you prefer to start your attack, whether with immediate pace, or a releasing pass. I prefer to put a skilled OMF there and pass away, but putting a CF here can work fine. Remember, almost all attacks through the middle will start with the OMF. The OMF goes back to collect the ball from the defense and is usually in position to recieve long balls as well. Should be the best player on the ball.

4-1-5

Finding personel for this formation is almost too easy... First, pretty much any CF will do for all the forward positions as well as any OMF or SH/WF, but try to put the taller players in the middle and the shorter, faster players as the WFs... but it almost doesn't matter as all the CFs rotate so often (which makes the formation so dangerous)... Anyone that can score or create scoring chances can play here, just put the best header as the middle CF.

For the CMF, I recommend a complete midfielder, one that can play solid defense as well as get involved a bit offensively. But err on the side of defense as this player is your entire midfield. With 5 forwards the CMF is pretty much in charge of holding and passing so it isn't important to make sure he runs the show. Someone like Gerrard, Geremi, etc.

Unlike in the 4-5-1, the SBs here need to be more defensive as they will not be called on for offensive duties for anything more than crossing. Really, the less apt to go on offense the better. Players like Carragher, or Mellberg, or Hofland can be great here.

The CB is probably the most important position to fill correctly because this player is going to be the defender you use to chase everybody. As Coopz mentioned, this formation gives up goals (but not nearly as many as you will score) and most goals given up can be traced to ineffective use of the CB. I always play this position with a DMF, someone like Hamann is perfect. Doesn't need to get to far up field to help on the attack, and has the defensive presence to stop breaks. If you play with the CB overlap tactic on (which can really overload the opponent with attackers) sometimes make sure you put a DMF in there that can hit a powerful shot. Err on the side of defense, stamina, and speed.

The SW here should be full of pace and defense, should be able to pair up with the CB to thwart a 2 v 2. Attacking ability is irrelevant.

Conclusion

Basically, fill the 4-5-1 with as many skilled midfielders that you can fit in, dribbling and short passing are the best way to move the ball into scoring positions...
... fill the 4-1-5 with 5 scoring players and 5 defending players, playing counter-attack style is the best way to go here. Long bombing passes all the time, and over-the-top passes to the outside attackers can result in easy crossing situations.

Sorry guys, I know it's a lot to read... but I figure for those of you bored at work (and the internet seems to have run out of information as it does sometimes) I thought it would be worth a read.

Hopefully some of you fire up those PS2s and try some of this stuff out.... and hopefully I;m not the only one who enjoys this crap.

You are not at all the only one who still enjoys this--very much appreciated.

OK. Here's my strategy I used to play with WE7 but somehow lost my focus on since playing WE7iJ...

I change my Formation ingame depending on who controls the Ball (me or my opponent).

Starting with a 4-4-2 (diamond). (BBBA) defence style NORMAL

Formation A (Standart) Balanced
--------------------------------|<-LH>-----------------------------
---------<--LB-----------------|------------------------------------
------<--CB-------------------|---------------------<CF>---------
GK-------------------<-DM>-|----------<OM>-------------------
--------------------------------|-----------------------------<CF>-
-----<--CB--------------------|------------------------------------
--------------------------------|-------------------------------------
----------<--RB---------------|------------------------------------
--------------------------------|<-RM>----------------------------

When I need to score a goal or my opponent is playing on blue (attack-Level) i switch my formation to 2-4-4 (AACC), defence style NORMAL, by pressing :l2: + :circle: .
The SBs go to the midfield-line and their role changes to LM and SM.
The SMs go up front and thei role change to LWG and RWG.

Formation B ( :l2: + :circle: ) Offensive
--------------------------------|-<LH>-------------------<LWG>--
-----------------------<CB----|--------------------------<CF>----
GK-----------------------------|-<CM>-------<OM>--------------
--------------------------------|--------------------------<CF>----
-----------------------<CB----|------------------------------------
--------------------------------|-<RM>-------------------<RWG>-

When I need to defend my lead, I switch to 4-4-1-1 (CBCA), defence-style LINE, by pressing :l2: + :square:.
SBs become CBs, all midfielders become DM, one Striker becomes OM and the other Striker is waiting up front for long counterattack passes.

Formation C (:l2: + :square: ) Defensive
--------------------------------|-----------------------------------
------<--CB---------<--DM---|------------------------------------
------<--CB---------<--DM--|------------------------------------
GK-----------------------------|---<OM-------------------<CF>--
--------------------------------|-----------------------------------

Defensive arrows:
< = low
<- =mid
<-- =high

Switching Players and their roles on Formation A B and C
Recoba A Striker, B Striker, C OMF
Kily Gonzales A LM, B LWG, C DM
van der Meyde A RM, B RWG, C DM
Cordoba A LSB, B LM, C CB
J.Zanetti A RSB, B RM, C CB

Human opponents hates me for switching to C!!! :mrgreen:

Kingsly, do you have problems with not being able to intercept long clearances playing in your "Formation B"?

It seems like your CM may attack to far up the pictch (along with the SBs maybe) and leave you open to counter-attack...

Does this happen to you (esp. in multiplayer)?

Personally, I don't switch formations while playing as you are doing (although now I want to give it a shot) but instead I switch the attack level which seems to give me the same over all effect. If I switch to a blue bar attack level, all my players defend behind the ball and I activate the "counter tactic" to keep my forwards up the field... seems pretty similar to your "Formation C" I think. For attack, I just put the bar in the red, and everyone moves up the pitch.

Oh, and I forgot to put < backwards attacking arrows in my first formation. Coupled with <-- defensive arrows, this is how I was able to keep my defenders back and not making overlapping runs.

I've used < previously on forward players as well, along with V and ^ to get more movement on offense... I might try and make something with those again pretty soon to see what I can come up with.

rburna said:
You are not at all the only one who still enjoys this--very much appreciated.

Thanks, if you try out any of the tactics (or just parts of them) post your experiences and the tactic maker can respond... maybe we can get a dialogue going here.,

eatontj said:
Kingsly, do you have problems with not being able to intercept long clearances playing in your "Formation B"?

It seems like your CM may attack to far up the pictch (along with the SBs maybe) and leave you open to counter-attack...

Does this happen to you (esp. in multiplayer)?

Ssssssssshhhhhhhh.... :mrgreen:
Yes that happens sometimes. But since I have Cannavaro and Gamarra at the back, I don't mind those clearences. They are good enough for picking them up or jump up front to trap the opponents Attackers offside.

By the way:
My Strategy-Buttons
:x: = Pressing
:triangle: = Offside Trap (I love this Strategy!!!)
:circle: = Formation A
:square: = Formation B

eatontj said:
Personally, I don't switch formations while playing as you are doing (although now I want to give it a shot) but instead I switch the attack level which seems to give me the same over all effect. If I switch to a blue bar attack level, all my players defend behind the ball and I activate the "counter tactic" to keep my forwards up the field... seems pretty similar to your "Formation C" I think. For attack, I just put the bar in the red, and everyone moves up the pitch.

Doesn't give the same. Try it and you will notice how fast they move up front.
Sometimes my friends I play with are sooo surprised, that the shock is enough to get them out-of-concept... :twisted:

KingSly said:
eatontj said:

Doesn't give the same. Try it and you will notice how fast they move up front.
Sometimes my friends I play with are sooo surprised, that the shock is enough to get them out-of-concept... :twisted:

Alright I'll defintately try it tonight... hopefully my friends will be as shocked as well...

Best moment is, when your omf has the ball and you are about in the middle between kick-off-spot and penalty-area.
Fire the button and see them rushing...
Tell me how it worked for you once you have checked it!

2 questions: what the heck is an OH/SH? And what does "I play with BABB (A for Pressing)" and the various other four letter terms mean?

rburna said:
2 questions: what the heck is an OH/SH? And what does "I play with BABB (A for Pressing)" and the various other four letter terms mean?

OH = OMF = Offensive Midfieler
SH = SMF = Side Midfielder
BABB = Formation, Teamtactics, Teamstrategy

so, inspired by eatonj and his argumentations about beeing bored at work, i decided to work out my favorite defensive line-up.

|----------------<--DH>------|----------------------------------|
|======--------------------|------------------------======|
|---------|<-CB---------------|----------------------|-----------|
|===----|---------------------|----------<OH>-----|----====|
|----|----|---------------------|-----------------------|--<CF>--|
|-GK|----|<-CB----<-DH>--|-----------------------|----|------|
|----|----|---------------------|----------/----------/-|----|------|
|===----|--------------------|-----<-OH>------<CF>---====|
|---------|<-CB---------------|------------------------|----------|
|---------------<--DH>-------|-----------------------------------|

- play with line defense (if you have capable DF line defenders)
- high pressing (only when you feel you can't cope with the opponent attacks, otherwise it'll crash you players)
- counter attack high
- offside trap low (but when you play pressing set it to high)

the most difficult thing with this formation is to let your opponent make the game. he (or she) need to play a very attacking style. most players i know only play very attacking so it's not a problem for me.
try to 'invite' the opponent onto your half. if the opponent is playing with wingers, it shouldn't be a problem catching them with your dh's on the side. depending on the style of the opponent, you can easily set your dh's to the back or to the front. when the opposing players are near your box, try to steal the ball and pass them towards your dh's. when in a corner or freekick situation try to head or pass it towards the dh's on the side. now the beautiful part of this formation. since the sidehalfs and wingers are way up front you can easily dribble, or take your time to pass, towards the box of the opposing team. only your cf's are marked so if there are a couple of players left on their half try to do a one-two with the dh and the oh. usually you go into an equal situation, i.e. 4 against 4 or 3 against 3. and often you have the advantage when countering.
what's up next is up to the capabilities of your team. i.e. if you have saviola up front you don't crosspass the ball into the box. play it quick towards ronaldinho and try to do a through pass or some. but when you have kluivert up front, go with your dh (in my case: xavi) and press l1 + o and kluivert can head it home.

example of my favorite line-up with barca:

gk valdez
cb van bronckhorst
cb puyol
cb oleguer
dh davids
dh cocu (c)
dh xavi
oh luis enrique
oh ronaldinho
cf kluivert
cf saviola[/code]

I usually use this simple, yet effective, line up.

-------------Buffon
Trabelsi Puyol Mexes/Ferrari Zambo
--\/-----------/\-------------------\/
-Fiore-Tacchinardi Maresca Nedved
--\/--------------------------------\/
---------------------Del Piero
----------Gilardino
-------------\/

2cbs, 2 sb's 4 cmf's and two cf's.
Zambrotta and Trabelsi very attacking, linking up nicely with the respective smf's.
Tacchinari there just to clean up the midfield, not a special player, strong though despite his bad stats.
Maresca a real cmf roams freely around midfield giving great through balls and long balls, can score too.
Fiore and Nedved there to cause ravage down the flanks. Fiore but especially Nedved tend to cut in, giving it to one of the sb's to cross. Although with Fiore i do tend to go to the sides as he is a great crosser of the ball, i often attempt early crosses with Fiore. Although i'm not always that satisfied with Nedved as he doesn't cross the ball always that well. So I often let Zambo do that from the left, I pass the ball often to Maresca and Zambrotta to 'casue some real havoc.
Upfront, Gilardino and Del Piero.
I often attempt 1-2's, smart through balls, openings and dribbles with Del Piero. Maresca and Del Piero often link up. Del Piero is always my topassister followed by Maresca. Del Piero often sends Gilardino through and Marsca often sends Del Piero through. I also tend to go to the sides with Del Piero as he has a good cross.
Gilardino is quik, very good header and good finisher. works well. Although lately he has been scoring less as Del Piero is scoring more goals :D.

All in all a very Balanced formation as all 4 midfielders are also fine at going back.
I notice how Maresca, Del Piero and Zambrotta are pretty much my most imporant players. Whever Nedved or Fiore aren't in form, I move Zambo up to the midfield.

----------------
I used to use the 4-5-1 often, but i've stepped away from it. I looked like this though:

-------------Buffon
--\/-----------/\-------/\------------\/
---------Tacchinari Maresca
-------------------------\/
------Fiore-- Nedved--Del Piero
--------\/--------\/--------\/
---------------Gilardino
------------------\/
Midfield: two dmf's or one dmf and one cmf. Three omf's. Used to work very good, but Maresca is better in the 4-4-2.

Just want to say I also do love creating lots of new formations and that I love we are now treating this topic. Once I´ve finished my exams, I will post some of my strategies, and formations.

Wow Eaton u like yo experiment with tactics i see.... :D

Ill post my favourite formation of all time here now, ive used many others, but this one has always had a special place in my heart ;)

3-5-2 Formation:

---------------------------GK-------------------------------
------------CB-----------CB---------CB---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------DMF-----------DMF---------------------
------RH---------------------------------LH--------------
-------------------------OH-----------------------------
--------------------------------CF---------------------
---------------------CF----------------------------------

I give both my side half an attacking arrow forward, and one of the dmf's an arrow back, and one an arrow forward (usefull for strayballs from crosses)

Some good players in the formation:

Dudek

Thuram
Stam
Chivu

Lampard
Davids

Nedved
Carlos
Zidane

Van Nistelrooy
Raul

Maybe ill post some more stuff when i feel like making a long post :)

KingSly,

I've tinkered with the Formation "A" and "B" strategies and based on what you said I took a little different approach then you did. You mentioned how when you switch to your offensive "formation A" your SMFs make quick runs to their WGs positions... so what I did for my "on-the-fly" formation changes was to essentially keep the same formation that I have now... but make a few changes to one or two positions to create some different movement.

It worked quite well:

Starting from my default...

--------------------------------|--------<--LH>---------------------
------<--<LB-----------------|------------------------------------
---<--<CB----------<-DM---|---------------<CF----------------
-----------------------------<-OH---------------------------<CF>-
--------------------------------|---------/---------------------------
--------------------------------|--<--OH---------------------------
--------------<--RB-----------|------------------------------------

.....I made my "Fomation A"

--------------------------------|--------<--LH>------------|------
------<--<LB-----------------|---------------------------<LW----
---<--<CB----------<-DM---|------------------------------------
--------------------------------|--------------------<-CF>---------
--------------------------------|--<--OH-----------------<RW-----
--------------<--RB-----------|---------|-------------------|--------

Basically, I moved my center OH to the center CF position and added an attacking arrow > to put him into a forward run if it's open when he gets into his CF zone. At the same time, I spread out the original "CF"s turning them into WGs and further gave them attacking arrows pointing out wide. I also changed my right "OMF"s attacking arrow to point him out wide as well.

The result during play is that when I activate my "formation A" ( :l2: :triangle: ), my CFs part, dragging the CBs with them (this happens regardless of how the opponent is marking them, it's the worst for them if it's set to "man" mark of course) and my OMF/CF charges forward into their space. I play a quick manual :circle: ball into the center and it sometimes results in a 1v1 with the goalie.

It's very nice to use this when I'm in possesion, moving the ball from side to side across my defensive line... it works the best from the DMF spot it seems. Typically, I like to work the ball across until I get some space or movement that allows me to work a series of short passes (or dribble penetrate) into the goal area... but if I see the defense "over-commit" to the wings (which happens when their forwards press), I quickly activate :l1: :triangle: and can sneak attack with an over-the-top ball.

It took me a bit of time to get the timing of activating it and passing, but now it works like a charm. Beat my roommate 3-0 tonight with all 3 goals coming from this tactic (although I was tyring the tactic A LOT to try and make it work) the first time I tried it... then started using it less frequently but was still getting almost 1 a game with it. About the same rate of success vs. the CPU as well.

Anyway, I use the quick stategy buttons already to turn on pressing, counter, and opp. attack, so I didn't want to sacrifice one to have 3 formations like KingSly. But, by using just one of the formations in the quick strategy almost like running a set play, I've now found a use for all 4 quick strategy spots.

Cool stuff KingSly, might want to try it out yourself.

Big Boss said:
Wow Eaton u like yo experiment with tactics i see.... :D

Ill post my favourite formation of all time here now, ive used many others, but this one has always had a special place in my heart ;)

3-5-2 Formation:

---------------------------GK-------------------------------
------------CB-----------CB---------CB---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------DMF-----------DMF---------------------
------RH---------------------------------LH--------------
-------------------------OH-----------------------------
--------------------------------CF---------------------
---------------------CF----------------------------------

I give both my side half an attacking arrow forward, and one of the dmf's an arrow back, and one an arrow forward (usefull for strayballs from crosses)

A good tactic Big Boss, one of the better ways to make the default ML formation more successful, especially with the DMFs. In the default ML the DMFs would constantly be out of position (worst when both would make forward runs leaving only Stromer, Cecil, and Vorlander trying to chase down Ciise, etc.), sounds like you've solved that one.

Do you play with Opp.Attack on? Just curious because that was the only way I found to get any real width in attack from the default ML 3-5-2.

distefano said:
so, inspired by eatonj and his argumentations about beeing bored at work, i decided to work out my favorite defensive line-up.

- high pressing (only when you feel you can't cope with the opponent attacks, otherwise it'll crash you players)
- counter attack high

Distefano, I can completely visualize how your formation plays out... win the ball in the defense, play a through ball to a side DMF (who's already past the opposing SMF) then either play a 1-2 to further move down the line, of pass to an OMF to work some trickery.... My questions are:

1. How does your formation work when you're in posession?
2. Do the side DMFs get far enough up field to support passing in the offensive area?
2. a) if they do get up field, are you open to counter-attack yourself?
3. Or, do in posession, do you work the ball in your own half until the other team is sucked forward?

Curious, because I can picture your fomation being great in the counter-attack, but it seems to lack the "triangles" needed to work the ball around in a build-up attack. Since both your OHs and CFs are geared to stay in the middle of the park, it doesn't look like you get support on the wings. Unless your DMFs come up....

Just curious, good stuff though, nice detail in the explanation.

Don Domenico said:
I usually use this simple, yet effective, line up.

-------------Buffon
--\/--------------------------------\/
---------------------Del Piero
----------Gilardino
-------------\/

2cbs, 2 sb's 4 cmf's and two cf's.
Zambrotta and Trabelsi very attacking, linking up nicely with the respective smf's.
Tacchinari there just to clean up the midfield, not a special player, strong though despite his bad stats.
Maresca a real cmf roams freely around midfield giving great through balls and long balls, can score too.
Fiore and Nedved there to cause ravage down the flanks. Fiore but especially Nedved tend to cut in, giving it to one of the sb's to cross. Although with Fiore i do tend to go to the sides as he is a great crosser of the ball, i often attempt early crosses with Fiore. Although i'm not always that satisfied with Nedved as he doesn't cross the ball always that well. So I often let Zambo do that from the left, I pass the ball often to Maresca and Zambrotta to 'casue some real havoc.
Upfront, Gilardino and Del Piero.
I often attempt 1-2's, smart through balls, openings and dribbles with Del Piero. Maresca and Del Piero often link up. Del Piero is always my topassister followed by Maresca. Del Piero often sends Gilardino through and Marsca often sends Del Piero through. I also tend to go to the sides with Del Piero as he has a good cross.
Gilardino is quik, very good header and good finisher. works well. Although lately he has been scoring less as Del Piero is scoring more goals :D.

All in all a very Balanced formation as all 4 midfielders are also fine at going back.
I notice how Maresca, Del Piero and Zambrotta are pretty much my most imporant players. Whever Nedved or Fiore aren't in form, I move Zambo up to the midfield.

Looks like a good formation, I have a few suggestions you may want to try out... I think you might like them based on your description of the run of play...

1. How about adding (or changing) Fiores attacking arrow from straight ahead, to diagonally ahead and to the outside. That way, Fiore will more often get to the sideline where he can better use his crossing ability that you enjoy :D .

2. If you find yourself getting counter-attacked, perhaps remove the attacking arrows from the SBs and just move them a bit forward (which may not be necessary) in their positioning to get them forward a bit more. Usually, I've found that SBs with attacking arrows forward overlap the SHs too much for my taste. They didn't seem to be crossing too often for you (at least it wasn't mentioned) so you may rather have them in more of a support role, intercepting passes and giving you an option to retreat an attack to restart it.

3. Maybe switching Del Piero's and Gilardino's side of the field. This would help a few things. First, I think Fiore and Gilardino would link up better on crosses... this way Fiore can go either middle/far post, instead of near post/middle for Gilardino... seems more effective. Second, you can now give Nedved an inside attacking arrow in additon to his straight forward attacking arrow and bring him into more of a playmaker role. (You may even want to change him to an OMF instead of LMF... don't worry he'll still stick to the left).

This would create this in the attack: (from left to right)

------------Zambrotta----------------------------
-------------------------Nedved------------------
---------Maresca----------------------Gilardinho
----------------------------------------------------
Tachinardi--------------------Del Piero----------
-----Trabelsi--------------------------------------
--------------------------Fiore---------------------

.... From what you described, this may better suit your personel. Maresca can now hit through balls to directly put Nedved, Gilardinho, or Del Piero into the penalty area, or play Zambrotta though to the wing. And Fiore is now in better position to cross to Gilardinho, or lay it off to Del Piero to work his magic.

Obviously, I like your original formation as you seem to be able to play it with good variety... these are just some different ways to play it that may be better or may not.

Try them if you have time, and let us know what you think. Good Post.

EDIT:

1:16 AM
Don Domenico said:
No comments on my formation(s) than? ;).

Nice timing. Just finished my comments. Jerk. :D

eatontj said:
Looks like a good formation, I have a few suggestions you may want to try out... I think you might like them based on your description of the run of play...

1. How about adding (or changing) Fiores attacking arrow from straight ahead, to diagonally ahead and to the outside. That way, Fiore will more often get to the sideline where he can better use his crossing ability that you enjoy :D .

Yes that might be very usefull, as I tend to only use Fiore for his crosses. I'll give that a try, thanks.

eatontj said:
2. If you find yourself getting counter-attacked, perhaps remove the attacking arrows from the SBs and just move them a bit forward (which may not be necessary) in their positioning to get them forward a bit more. Usually, I've found that SBs with attacking arrows forward overlap the SHs too much for my taste. They didn't seem to be crossing too often for you (at least it wasn't mentioned) so you may rather have them in more of a support role, intercepting passes and giving you an option to retreat an attack to restart it.

Yes I do sometimes get a little exposed on the flanks on the counter-attack.
I do like them overlapping though, I thought i did mention that especially Zambrotta often crosses the ball especially as I cut in with Nedved and he'll send Zambrotta through.

You did give me an idea though, when i'm attacking. I could use the switch formation tactic, moving Zambo up to the midfield but retreating dmf(Taccinardi) and I might also retreate Trabelsi, although I'd need a more defending sb. Giving him that support role.

eatontj said:
3. Maybe switching Del Piero's and Gilardino's side of the field. This would help a few things. First, I think Fiore and Gilardino would link up better on crosses... this way Fiore can go either middle/far post, instead of near post/middle for Gilardino... seems more effective. Second, you can now give Nedved an inside attacking arrow in additon to his straight forward attacking arrow and bring him into more of a playmaker role. (You may even want to change him to an OMF instead of LMF... don't worry he'll still stick to the left).

Yes switching them might be usefull. When i still used the 4-5-1, Gilardino scored more from headers, because Del Piero wouldn't be in his way to sometimes try to head the ball(and fail miserabely). Although now with the exception of Zambrotta and Fiore I play more over the ground.
I will try switching Gilardino and Del Piero though. This would in addition look better in the starting formation:

-------------Buffon
-|/-\/----------------------------|/-\/
---------Del Piero
----------------Gilardino
--------------------\/

More Space for Maresca and Nedved to roam down the left side of the field.
Yes I'll try Nedved 'inside arrow' too. Might be usefull as I could also use use shooting abilities more.
+ I do not fear making him an omf, in my 4-5-1 I also used 3 omf's. it somehow worked better than use an omf and 2 smf's. Well it probaly worked better because Del Piero and Fiore don't have a smf star.

eatontj said:
This would create this in the attack: (from left to right)

------------Zambrotta----------------------------
-------------------------Nedved------------------
---------Maresca----------------------Gilardinho
Tachinardi--------------------Del Piero----------
-----Trabelsi--------------------------------------
--------------------------Fiore---------------------

.... From what you described, this may better suit your personel. Maresca can now hit through balls to directly put Nedved, Gilardinho, or Del Piero into the penalty area, or play Zambrotta though to the wing. And Fiore is now in better position to cross to Gilardinho, or lay it off to Del Piero to work his magic.

Only to use this when i'm attacking, right?
If so, not bad at all. Although I might want Zambrotta and Maresca(he has a good shot) moved up a little further in a attack. This especially will suit Fiore again :).

+ It's just Gilardino. Alberto Gilardino he is Italian ;).

eatontj said:
Obviously, I like your original formation as you seem to be able to play it with good variety... these are just some different ways to play it that may be better or may not.

Try them if you have time, and let us know what you think. Good Post.

Well thanks for the compliments and thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out and i'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks a lot.

Don Domenico said:

Damn, thought I caught all those 'h's...

Oh, and yes, I missed the part about Zambrotta crossing... may you could change his attacking arrow to an outside attacking arrow as well... Although that may put him out of position a bit too far. But heck, since you're trying stuff out anyway....

EDIT:

Don Domenico said:
Only to use this when i'm attacking, right?

I was trying to make a diagram including the effects w/the arrows. Trying to show where everyone would be when you are attacking and Maresca has the ball, starting the attack.

eatontj said:
Don Domenico said:

Damn, thought I caught all those 'h's...

Oh, and yes, I missed the part about Zambrotta crossing... may you could change his attacking arrow to an outside attacking arrow as well... Although that may put him out of position a bit too far. But heck, since you're trying stuff out anyway....

Yes... since i'm trying out stuff anyway :D.

eatontj said:
distefano said:

- counter attack high

Distefano, I can completely visualize how your formation plays out... win the ball in the defense, play a through ball to a side DMF (who's already past the opposing SMF) then either play a 1-2 to further move down the line, of pass to an OMF to work some trickery.... My questions are:

1. How does your formation work when you're in posession?
2. Do the side DMFs get far enough up field to support passing in the offensive area?
2. a) if they do get up field, are you open to counter-attack yourself?
3. Or, do in posession, do you work the ball in your own half until the other team is sucked forward?

Curious, because I can picture your fomation being great in the counter-attack, but it seems to lack the "triangles" needed to work the ball around in a build-up attack. Since both your OHs and CFs are geared to stay in the middle of the park, it doesn't look like you get support on the wings. Unless your DMFs come up....

Just curious, good stuff though, nice detail in the explanation.

1. not that bad. but basicly it's an all defense formation. you try to pass yourselves into the box. but it's not very strong at creating changes from the back. you need some really good oh's and cf's if you want to make some offensive plays. another favorite tactic i use is what i call the oldskool english approach: fire the ball forward. with a good header like pauleta you can try to head the ball to the other cf. a bit like shearer does in real life with bellamy. try to head it over the oppossing df's.
2. yeah but it depends. with portugal i sometimes put simao (wf) on that position and he tends to go more up front than i.e. maniche. but you can mix up some or bring in a quick winger when you need to score a goal.
2. (a) (whatever that is ;)) no, i notice that if you try to run into the side area of the box the oh stands a little bit to the back. so any quick counters against you can be easily taken out with a slide or an interception with the remaining dh's or the cb's. on some formations (like 3-4-3) the change of being countered are higher, but if you are capable of defending (which is a must!) you can take it out most counters.
4. you can do this, but you need a relative good team. this is because of the change being caught when a pass is deliverd poorly. with france this sure is an option to think about. check out answer one for the shearer thing which i sometimes do.

summary

advantages:
> great counter football. catenaccio style!
> difficult for the opponent to score
> frustration on your mate's face

disadvantages:
> you won't get too many changes
> some people don't like to play with a good team (like france) and ths formation is not really suitable for teams like poland.
> some people do not like to play defending football.

skills you must acquire:
> you need to be an ace in defending
> you need to be able to deliver good passes
> you need to be deadly in the box (cause of the low amount of changes you'll get)

team requirements:
> at least 3 strong cb's
> good cf's, preferable one cf who is capable of passing and shooting and one cf who is good at finishing and heading. or better: two cf's who can do it all.
> players who can deliver some good long passes
> one playmaker as an oh

---

keep it rollin'
does someone have a nice full-out attack formation? not that valencia thing cause i think it needs to applied to all teams.

I think a 4-3-3 might be the best all-out attacking formation...
I'll have to make one.

Something like this though

---------------------------------------------
--------------LB---------LH--------LW-----
GK-----SW-----CB---------CM--------CF-
--------------RB---------RH-------RW-----

Could really be made into quite the attacking formation (Ajax style).

SW - a capable sweeper, very good physical attributes a must.

CB - you'd want a libero type back, or just use a DMF.

LB, RB - attacking style backs w/enough speed to cover the whole field. Probably don't want them to overlap too far down field.

LH,RH,LW,RW - wingers all the way, perhaps a bit more defensive for the LH,RH positions.

CM - playmaker.

CF - pure goalscorer. Pacey finisher, good in the air.

With this formation, I see 9 possible attackers. For players who are excellent short passers (1-2 esp.) getting up the field with the ball should be simple. For flair players, there should be quite enough room to open a dribble attack from almost anywhere on the pitch. Heck, even long ball players can do well by using all the space.

The problem of course is defending. It's easy to make this formation, but hard to balance it out so that it's not open to quick counters from a loss of posession.

I might try to work on it this week, but maybe someone else could give it a shot because I'm in the middle of exams. Hey, maybe if Distefano is looking for a more attacking formation....

Back
Top Bottom