Taxes and all that sh!t

gomito#10

World Cup Winner
9 May 2003
DC, USA
Re: The TV Thread

Within a reasonable limit of course. I cant see 40 inch LCDs costing more than £3000.

fucking shit that is ridiculous! I paid 759.630 GBP for a samsung 1080p 40 inch lCD. $1500 american. Are tv's that expensive over there?

:shock: I just paid £1500 for a Samsung 1080p 40 inch LCD a couple of months ago...

well it sounds like you guys are twice as much as us.. BUT i guess that is expected as we have had HDTV's since 1999/2000. Or there just raping you... But my first HDTV in 2001 was $3300 american, and I guess a similar model today would be $2000 ,maybe...

well it sounds like you guys are twice as much as us.. BUT i guess that is expected as we have had HDTV's since 1999/2000. Or there just raping you....

Yup, we get stung big style, for most consumer goods, electricial, cars, etc

fucking shit that is ridiculous! I paid 759.630 GBP for a samsung 1080p 40 inch lCD. $1500 american. Are tv's that expensive over there?

Is that the new one that just came out, with a very reflective screen? That in UK is now about 1.2k.

True, we do get ripped off. But we have to pay 17.5% tax, we have a queen and we also have a stronger currency so when we go on holiday to America....

Is that the new one that just came out, with a very reflective screen? That in UK is now about 1.2k.

True, we do get ripped off. But we have to pay 17.5% tax, we have a queen and we also have a stronger currency so when we go on holiday to America....

hahaha, yeah but if shit cost you TWICE as much, what good is a stronger currency... %17,5 tax? On your income, or on goods bought?

hahaha, yeah but if shit cost you TWICE as much, what good is a stronger currency... %17,5 tax? On your income, or on goods bought?

17.5% on goods bought apart from book and childrens clothes.

And don't get me started on income!
The govt. takes 40% of anything you earn over 40k!

17.5% on goods bought apart from book and childrens clothes.

And don't get me started on income!
The govt. takes 40% of anything you earn over 40k!

WTF! So if you earn less then 40k you dont get income tax? wow that would be awesome here in the states(for the less fortunate people) but the republicans would never allow it. 17.5% jesus christ!
you gotta be kidding me.. so if you earn 80k then your take home is 60K? I think thats better then the states... but the %17.5 kills it!

WTF! So if you earn less then 40k you dont get income tax? wow that would be awesome here in the states(for the less fortunate people) but the republicans would never allow it. 17.5% jesus christ!
you gotta be kidding me.. so if you earn 80k then your take home is 60K? I think thats better then the states... but the %17.5 kills it!

Income Tax goes to a rate or 40% over 40K, but it's about 22% below that level, you also have a national insurance contrbution, to basically you get stung by almost 25% of your wages if you earn under 40K, which I get no where near.

As for other taxes, fuel is close to about 80%-85% tax here I think, which is crazy, we pay close to 2 dollars per Litre mate. Then you have your House Rates/ Council Tax or whatever, tis all tax tax tax here and yes the 17.5% VAT on almost everything sucks too................

Anyhow, BOT from now on, otherwise this will need to be moved.

EDIT: You earn 80K in the UK, your left with 55K after income tax, then minus your national insurance.......... You dont get left with much eh..........

Last edited:
But why would you want to live in Singapore?....

It's all about Dubai, Qatar or Bahrain ;) In that order...

yea...I've heard that. Two of my mates moved off to Dubai and Bahrain. Not only do they get paid more, they get lower tax there apparently.

I just heard that, overall, Singapore is seen by many people as one of the best places to live in (Pay, Education, Health Services). I absolutely loved it there....but I won't be able to climatize to the hot weather! :D

yea...I've heard that. Two of my mates moved off to Dubai and Bahrain. Not only do they get paid more, they get lower tax there apparently.
Downside is the govt. spending. Like there aren't many merit/public goods, and you more or less have to look after yourself. Not much of what you call in UK Social Security/Social Services.

But with news like this, hopefully those countries can re-vitalise: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6672923.stm

I just heard that, overall, Singapore is seen by many people as one of the best places to live in (Pay, Education, Health Services). I absolutely loved it there....but I won't be able to climatize to the hot weather! :D
And the girls? ;)

This is going notoriously offtopic, but how much is income tax in the US? How much is your net if you earn 80K or summat?

Apparently, for low Income Tax, Singapore is the place to be...

ahh christ i should know this, but it all depends on how much you make, how deductions you can take etc... my dad makes a shitton more then me, but he pays way less in income tax because he can right off the interest on two home mortgage and other shit. I own nothing that i can write off so i get screwed. Our tax system is so fucked up(i think). The theory here or made prominent by a certain actor who happened to be elected president(ridiclous old bat). The more you make the less your taxed cause you will re-invest that in the economy which provides more jobs to the poor(the money you would have been taxed). I really dont think this has worked. For a country with our kind of wealth we just have way too many children living in poverty, way too many people living below the poverty line, way too many homeless people. Of course there are studies to show that we have fewer above in our countries history right now, but that means shit too me, no one in this country should live below the poverty line, its just insane that its even possible.

csaunders, how is the Social Security like in US?

Like in UK, the govt. gives a lot of benefits away in terms of Jobseekers Allowance (those out of work), National Insurance (you get paid wages even if you are ill, or can't work anymore because of long term illness), tons of other benefits like housing etc...

We also have national minimum wage of about £5/ph.

And healthcare is free, but some say crap.

Ideal Welfare State UK?: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4704081.stm

Back
Top Bottom