The adaptive offline Copa América 2015 challenge

Nice :TU:

Re: good skills reading passing lanes. That's almost impossible for me when they're suddenly passing at light speed :LOL:

Re: good skills reading passing lanes. That's almost impossible for me when they're suddenly passing at light speed

Yes, we would really like to see a video of his gameplay, wouldn't we. :) Hint hint.

One thing I have found out is that the faster I let the CPU move to my half of the pitch, the sooner they stop passing the ball around the back. They then try something more risky, which is more likely to fail.

I've no idea how you manage to get the CPU to have low pass % on superstar. The moment I play on superstar the CPU pass % for me is almost always high 80s and low 90s.
This is also influenced by tactics; I tend to give weaker teams long pass tactics which automatically results in lower pass completion rates. Compare the stats of Peru and Brazil:
Match17_zps7e6iajd5.jpg

,----
| MATCH: COL-PER
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
| MY TEAM: COL
| RESULT: 3-1
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
`----

Match18_zpsi8pxipat.jpg

,----
| MATCH: BRA-VEN
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
| MY TEAM: VEN
| RESULT: 1-1
`----

4 game ahoy!

,----
| MATCH: Uruguay vs Paraguay
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
| MY TEAM: Paraguay
| RESULT: 1-0
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltfj5H6pPvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7aZ45qJIyY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

,----
| MATCH: Argentina vs Jamaica
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
| MY TEAM: Argentina
| RESULT: 1-1
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yLcxkhEGUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzK8fqxsj34

,----
| MATCH: Colombia vs Peru
| MY TEAM: Peru
| RESULT: 1-2
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
`----

Did a mistake with this one. Played as Peru instead of Colombia as for some reason I thought I won the Argentina vs Peru game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_3rNLT0i2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2fjbOnea90

,----
| MATCH: Brazil vs Venezuela
| MY TEAM: Brazil
| RESULT: 1-2
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vHqEmVJmTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SatKM-Rw-6U

,----
| MATCH: CHI-URU
| MY TEAM: CHI
| RESULT: loss 0-2
`----

An exciting match, where at around 55' I thought I had Cavani marked, but then he scored from between my two defenders. At around 83' I took a calculated risk and switched to an offensive formation with a higher defensive line. It took Uruguay maybe 1' to pass a long through ball and score.

It looks like I'll be watching a lot of videos in the coming days as I've been on holiday lately and couldn't stay on par. Nevermind, I like watching them. :D

I will probably produce a video on Saturday showing ARG-COL. I got off to a good start here:
Match19_zpsd0xucqxv.jpg

,----
| MATCH: CHI-URU
| MY TEAM: CHI
| RESULT: 1-0
`----

,----
| MATCH: BOL-PER
| MY TEAM: PER
| RESULT: loss 1-0
`----

I tried something very different for a change: I went with the default offensive formation against superstar - which I'd never try if I were playing, say, a league. It wasn't so bad. The CPU scored an insane goal: a volley that hit the bar after I cleared a corner, followed by a shot to the post from the rebound, followed by one of their attackers being first in the rebound. And naturally in first half overtime.

After that I controlled the match, but oh, the angels of manual play have now denied me from scoring in two consecutive matches.

Edit. I just realised that I have played the last two matches tired late at night, whereas in the group stage I always played the matches vigilant and fresh. (That's also the reason for no videos; too tired to start editing and uploading them.) Gotta try to play the next match sharp and see if that would help me.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to re-play the knockout stages as they progress (so with the right matches and such)... Especially because now I have all the correct kits for all the teams. :D

,----
| MATCH: Chile vs Uruguay
| MY TEAM: Chile
| RESULT: 2-0
`----

Sorry something went wrong with uploading. I've left it uploading overnight like I do for all my videos and for some reason the PS4 decided against it when I checked the next day. All I can say is Chile won fair and square.

Would like to also mentioned that as of the knockout stages I've switched to manual passing and shooting and +1 speed. It changed the game totally for me. Does exactly what I want and responsive to my inputs. Loving this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

,----
| MATCH: Bolivia vs Peru
| MY TEAM: Peru
| RESULT: 2-1
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqzF5ZdDVKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9fqzjQEj6s

Even though I lost, I enjoyed this very much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

,----
| MATCH: Argentina vs Colombia
| MY TEAM: Colombia
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2wNtJdAN3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKHr2cvoEw

Phew! Managed to win this! Felt like such a difficult test!

Last edited:
Lami,

just watched your BRA-VEN. How did you take the second Venezuelan goal? ;)

That second goal is a perfect example of my kind of defensive problems. One defender too close, the other one too far. Inside the box the correct positioning of a defender is so damn difficult.

Otherwise I really enjoyed watching your cool defending again.

To other issues. I have now linked my Spotify account to my PS4 and created a football playlist with some 400 songs. I was a bit critical about the idea of playing music during a match, but with crowd noise in the background and music in the front I get a really energetic atmosphere into the matches. (Unfortunately shuffling is still a bit buggy in PS4, but I assume it will be sorted out soon.)

Talking about atmosphere, some matches with "warm feelings" in the real Copa. :)

,----
| MATCH: ARG-COL
| MY TEAM: COL
| RESULT: loss 1-0
`----

The longest drought ever: third match without a goal.

I outshot them by a ratio of 2:1. The CPU goal came after a free kick, when my defender found it a good idea to suddenly take a step away from the goal and give some extra space to the attacker. Not much I could do about that.

But attacking... I had James Rodriguez in red condition. And boy, did he have chances. Maybe the Argentinian goalie was also on red?

Edit. Played a match in my La Liga after this match, and had the pleasure to score twice in first five mins (superstar). The uncertainty is one of the pleasures of manual play. Having to look for space instead of players is another.

Last edited:
Lami,

just watched your BRA-VEN. How did you take the second Venezuelan goal? ;)

This > :RANT:

:LOL:

The fact that I blocked it well, got the ball under my possession, then to give it away like that was just.. ugh.. Then I mistimed the tackle and the Venezuelan took advantage and had a well placed shot.

Defending is really frustrating when no matter what I do I just can't choose the closest guy. I don't know why that happens and don't know how to counter it.

Losing on penalties counts as a draw, right? I think that's the first time I've lost a penalty shootout against the CPU in PES 2014 and PES 2015:

Match20_zpsizirk0qa.jpg

,----
| MATCH: BOL-PER
| MY TEAM: BOL
| RESULT: 0-0 (3-4 on penalties)
`----

Lami,

your BOL-PER. A thriller that could have ended either way. Maybe a bit more hectic than your typical match? A great start for you.

I am somewhat relieved to see that much better defenders than me sometimes face similar situations against superstar:

1-1: A well-placed defender that tackles, but the attacker evades the tackle and dribbles around the defender. Had the defender tried to contain by being further away or not tackling, the attacker would have scored with a straight shot. A very difficult situation.

1-2: A clearance that ends in the possession of the CPU, followed by a quick pass when your defence is unorganised. Another classic that I see quite often. (Really OP first touch and pass by the CPU.)

majuh: still eagerly waiting for that video.

Before moving on to my next match, here is the goal the CPU scored against me yesterday - the goal that lost me the match. See how that defender behaves. I am not moving him upfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBojbnjGnKQ

Sort of reminds me of this bug I uploaded earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbTsEpOjXg4

Onwards march. Here are the highlights of my next one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkXgoIM4OrQ

,----
| MATCH: BRA-PAR
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
| MY TEAM: BRA
| RESULT: win 2-0
`----

You probably guessed that I won since I posted the highlights. ;)

Now this wasn't as easy as the stats would suggest. I was a bit lost at first in the match. I played with the default formation and tactics - no idea what they are. But my guess is they are attacking wide, because that has never been my cup of tea.

Paraguay had a couple of dangerous counters in the first half. In the second half I got a hang of the game and dominated. But I still had trouble braking through. Eight shots with Brazil against a team like Paraguay is not that much. But at least I got the idea of keeping possession with a wide formation.

I left Neyman out of my team, for obvious reasons.

majuh,

I truly appreciate you uploading that video. Cool finishes those first two goals!

But if it's not obvious by now: my true interest lies in defending. So I really wanted to see your defensive play. I will watch the video again tomorrow, but here are my first impressions.

You are really strong in defending the midfield, and you actually have a clear method: if the attacker is not within shooting range, you don't pressure with the player you are controlling unless you catch the CPU taking first touch (in which case it's easy to steal the ball). In general you just contain with the controlled player and maybe use teammate pressure. And it works well in midfield: you can delay attacks, steal the ball, and force the CPU to take risky passes. In particular, your approach greatly limits the number of cases when the CPU gets within shooting range.

This is a very different method of defending when compared with - for example - the approach where you wait for the CPU to make a move and then tackle him. Or the approach where you try to funnel the CPU to a place where you can pressure him with multiple defenders. Very different approaches.

It still seems to me that everybody is in trouble when the superstar CPU gets within shooting range, because you're damned if you challenge him there and damned if you don't.

Again, thanks for the video and kudos for those two goals!

Yeah, challenges are only effective when a CPU player receives the ball or prepares to shoot. In between it's pretty useless to try and take the ball from them.

And finally another match where the scripting went overboard, I was denied a clear penalty:
Match22_zpslwxcz7pw.jpg

,----
| MATCH: BRA-PAR
| MY TEAM: PAR
`----

I will try to post next knockout round matches soon.

Just had the worst PES experience ever. Lost to Real Madrid in La Liga away 7-0 (superstar, 20 min match). RM had 28 shots. Home momentum, a couple of early goals to increase the bias, one of my players being sent off. The first match I have played that felt totally hopeless. (Don't know about the condition of RM players.) Usually, when the CPU is a couple of goals up, it switches to a defensive formation which eases off the pressure. Didn't happen in this match.

majuh: Do you have "aggressive pressuring" set for your defensive tactics? I experimented a bit today, and with "conservative pressuring" the defender is seldom close enough to steal the ball when the attacker takes first touch.

Last edited:
majuh: Do you have "aggressive pressuring" set for your defensive tactics? I experimented a bit today, and with "conservative pressuring" the defender is seldom close enough to steal the ball when the attacker takes first touch.
I edited the tactics for all Copa America teams, and I tried to make them play like they do in real life. The stronger teams got Frontline Pressure and Aggressive Pressuring, while the weaker teams are more defensive. I don't change the tactics of my own team anymore before the match.

I tend to give teams All Out Defense and Conservative Pressuring in their defensive tactics preset so the AI parks the bus when it is in the lead. I rarely use the defensive tactics preset myself, only for example when I'm a man down.

Yeah, challenges are only effective when a CPU player receives the ball or prepares to shoot. In between it's pretty useless to try and take the ball from them.

I think first touch is the safest situation to challenge, and shooting the most critical one. But others are possible. Sometimes you can just physically wrestle them off the ball. And if they challenge you, you can challenge them, in particular if they take a heavy touch to gain speed. Also, you can gang up on them near touchlines. (Multiple pressure should work in other places as well, but against superstar it very seldom does. That's a gross modelling error IMO.)

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep practicing.

Opening post updated with semis. These are likely to be challenging for those controlling the weaker team.

Felt sorry for Ospina; he was a beast.

Have had a number of other things going on during the past couple of days; eagerly looking forward to watching some of the gameplay videos posted here.

Last edited:
Are there any changes you would like to suggest to challenge format if we are running another challenge after this?

If we'd have more participants we might even have a prize for the most entertaining performance. Like a copy of PES 2016. :) But if it's only 2-3 players... Let's think about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLEudugY7S4

,----
| MATCH: CHI-PER
| MY TEAM: PER
| RESULT: win 0-1
`----

A very difficult match for me, even at top player. I only had a couple of good chances, the best one during the first half when Pizarro broke through and shot just wide of the back post.

Greatly inspired by what I have seen in your videos I have been experimenting with defending to such a degree that my overall gameplay is a bit of a mess right now. ;)

Lami,

your ARG-COL. A match that looked realistic. A lot of midfield battle, which is not always the case (at least in my matches). And then that trench war was broken by some blitzkrieg attacks, with spectators at the edges of their seats. Nice goals too.

I don't think I have any more gameplay videos in queue. What's up? :)

Edit. Tried to get us a free copy from Konami for the prize of the next challenge, but at least my first effort failed. So maybe we'll just keep playing for fun.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to re-play the knockout stages as they progress (so with the right matches and such)... Especially because now I have all the correct kits for all the teams. :D

Please do, we'd like to read more of your match reports.

majuh, just had a chance to watch your video again. You simply don't make many incorrect moves. Amazing work.

Back
Top Bottom