The all new cricket thread

L

loz

Well with a new forum and a historic Test series win over South Africa, in their own back yard, i thought we need a new thread ;)

Not a totally convincing series win, but the boys did the job, and lets hope we can finally give the Aussies a run for their money in the summer and try and claim back the ashes.

Special mention to Andrew Strauss who picked up the MVP series player award, with some very fine innings.

Bring on the Aussies !!!

Congrats to England for winning, not the biggest fan of Cricket as a spectator sport, playing it is a good laugh though.

England were superb! With Australia we are probably the best Test side in the world. The Ashes are a tough one to call so i think they'll end up 1-1 or 2-2.

I think the Ashes will be won 3-2. Hopefully by England. I really do hope we can get a result against the Aussies. It would be great for English cricket.

I think if Harmison, Vaughan and Trescothick can get back to top form and the others stay at the level they're currently performing at, we can give them a real run for their money, although its all ifs and buts at the moment. Still, at least it should make for a more intruiging contest than previous ashes series.

Would love to see England win in the summer. Still think that the Aussies have the edge on us though. Going to be fun finding out though.

The Aussies definetly have the edge over the Poms, but this should be a great series. England lack a world class spin bowler, while Australia has arguably the best leg spinner ever in Shane Warne.

Australia will win it 2-1, two matches will be abandoned due to the English summer rain.

I agree we dont have a world class spinner, but they are rarely used on our pitches anyway. As long as Hoggard, Freddy and Harmison hit top form, we'll get wickets.

SOUTH Africa capitalised on a Herschelle Gibbs century to crush England by 108 runs in the fourth one-day cricket international at Newlands today.

Gibbs hit 100 and put on 143 with Jacques Kallis (71) for the third wicket as South Africa made 5-291, the highest score of the series, after being sent in.

England, in reply, collapsed to 183 all out in 41.2 overs, Makhaya Ntini taking 3-29 as the home side went 2-1 up in the seven-match series.

It was Gibbs's 14th one-day hundred and included eight fours and three sixes.

Big-hitting Justin Kemp then hammered 57 off 36 balls, including four sixes, as 98 came off the last 10 overs.

England hit early trouble in reply when it lost 3-3 in 12 balls to slump to 3-35.

Ntini got rid of Geraint Jones (19) and Michael Trescothick (13) while Shaun Pollock removed Michael Vaughan for a duck, before Kevin Pietersen produced the sole defiance with 75 off 85 balls.

England's fast bowlers had struggled at the start of the day.

Kabir Ali, having taken 1-22 off eight overs, conceded 36 off his last two as Kemp cut loose.

And Steve Harmison, on his recall after injury, shed 44 off his first five overs before finishing with 1-65.

Scoreboard:
South Africa
G.SMITH lbw b Ali 16
A DE VILLIERS lbw b Gough 9
J.KALLIS run out 71
H.GIBBS c Bell b Harmison 100
J.KEMP run out 57
A.PRINCE not out 14
Sundries (6lb 18w) 24
Five wickets for 291
Fall: 18, 50, 193, 227, 291.
Bowling: Gough 10-1-53-1, Harmison 10-0-65-1, Ali 10-1-58-1,
Collingwood 5-0-24-0, Trescothick 1-0-12-0, Giles 10-0-52-0,
Vaughan 4-0-21-0.
Overs: 50.

England
M.TRESCOTHICK b Ntini 13
G.JONES c Boucher b Ntini 19
M.VAUGHAN c Kallis b Pollock 0
A.STRAUSS c Prince b Nel 17
K.PIETERSEN c de Villiers b Boje 75
I.BELL c Boucher b Kallis 2
P.COLLINGWOOD c Boucher b Pollock 11
A.GILES c Pollock b Ntini 20
KABIR ALI run out 1
D.GOUGH not out 9
S.HARMISON c Nel b Boje 4
Sundries (3b 3lb 6w) 12
Total 183
Fall: 32, 33, 35, 73, 92, 127, 148, 163, 175, 183.
Bowling: Pollock 10-0-35-2, Ntini 9-1-29-3, Nel 6-0-27-1,
Kallis 6-0-36-1, Kemp 2-0-9-0, Boje 8.2-0-41-2.
Overs: 41.2.
Result: South Africa won by 108 runs.
Fifth match: Feb 9, East London
Sixth match: Feb 11, Durban
Seventh match: Feb 13, Centurion

South Africa are now 2-1 up in the seven match series, should be interesting to see if England can fight back and win the series.

Roll on 21st July, things look so well balanced after the recent ODI's!!

Preface: I know very little about Cricket...however...

GO BERMUDA!!! Semi-finals of the ICC on our way in 2007 to the World Cup...not bad for a country whose population could fit into Old Traffod. We lost to Scotland today, but play Canada tomorrow for 3rd place, now if only I could be excited enough to actually watch the damn sport...

Getting the beers ready for a day in front of the telly tomorrow.:) Come on England!!!!

Just how bad have we been against the Aussies at Lords??!! Why do we bother with it? - stuff it, let's play two Old Trafford tests JM. Easy for us to get to.:D

I wouldnt mind! We havnt won at Lords for 70 years and even then it was because of bizare weather,! are you going to the 3rd test at OT?

Aussies won the toss and chose to bat.

They're 3 down already for only 66 runs and it's not even noon on the first day yet. Who is this bunch of old has-beens?

[edit]
sorry, make that 66-4....

are you Bangladesh in disguise???

[/edit]

87-5 get in there lads. I bet every Aussie in England is trying to hide at the moment.

If we can get Gilchrist early I think they'll struggle to get 150.

A good first morning dictated by English adrenalin and (dare I say it?) Aussie nerves. Long way to go yet though...

Not a typical day of cricket....tbh English batter's defence has been a bit shoddy.

England 155 all out....not a bad recovery from 21-5. Pieterson's making a good first impression at Test level. Shame the top order guys were playing silly buggers again.

Aussies only 35 ahead...game on again.

Back
Top Bottom