The Android Thread - Here be apple eating robots

dplane

Big Kahuna Burger
17 August 2012
US of freakin A
ManU/Oranje
Figured since there is a thread for Snapple cultists, we need one for us cool Android folk. So here it is.

Currently on the HTC Rezound running a new ROM almost every week but thanks to our amazing dev community I am on pure AOSP JB 4.1.2. Loving it, everything works, including photosphere. Definitely the best phone I've ever had but thanks to my wife I can now be on a one year phone rotation (using my and her upgrade and keep passing my previous one to her..non techie women are good for something I tell ya!)

So..I'm excited for the coming announcements by HTC (M7), looks like Sammy will announce the GS4 in the not too distant future, the Android developer conference is coming up in a few months, and will we see the much rumored Motorola/Google X phone this spring? Exciting times!

It is good to see that the big manufacturers are moving towards streamlining their lineup, it worked wonders for Sammy already (they did take a good page from Snapple on that one), and with HTC's intent to do the same thing, I can see Moto following that path as well. Variety in the Android camp is great, too much fragmentation is not.

I have a Chinese/generic 10" Android tablet, it's a bit laggy with the default ROM, anyone know any really good custom roms that are nice and speedy with decent battery life? I don't need much to use on it, surfing, skype, watch some tv shows etc.

I have a Chinese/generic 10" Android tablet, it's a bit laggy with the default ROM, anyone know any really good custom roms that are nice and speedy with decent battery life? I don't need much to use on it, surfing, skype, watch some tv shows etc.
Can you tell me the make and model number? Roms are device specific.

Considering getting the Nexus 4, Thoughts?
Nexus 4 gets rave reviews, except for the glass on the back which tends to be slightly fragile but that's nothing a case can't solve. If you like pure android without Samsung , LG, HTC, moto, Sony, and whatever ui customizations and you want to be at the forefront of new android OS versions a Nexus is a no brainer, and especially if you can get it without a contract. I'd consider it but my carrier uses CDMA and the Nexus 4 only comes in a GSM flavor. Do note that some of the big manufacturers are likely to announce their new flagship phones soon and a new version of android is likely to be announced in May.

Hmmm..Galaxy S4 being announced next week. Even though I'm never a fan of Sammy's build quality and Iphone like cartoonish theming of its launcher (at least that can easily be replaced), it will be interesting to see what fun stuff they come up with this time.
After Motorola, LG and HTC, I might give Sammy a try for my next device in Android land. Still..I will hold out upgrading until after Google's Conference. Who knows what magic they might be announcing there.

Yeah Nexus 4 is a great device and I'd consider it for my upgrade but they don't have a CDMA version of it, which is kind of a pain considering that's what Verizon, our largest carrier uses instead of GSM.

Having trouble with my phone trying to buy an app via the play store, it comes up with a "Error your order could jot be processed, please try again" message persistently. I've tried everything I could find via googling etc but nothing is working, do you guys know of any fixes? Thanks in advance!

My Xperia Arc S has been doing my head in of late, slow, laggy, poor battery life, a lot of it is due to Skype which has become really bloated and resource demanding of late but as I need Skype on the phone else I can't lay in bed playing on the console when I'm officially in working hours it's pretty crucial it work, so I just ordered a Samsung Galaxy S4 :)

The latest 4.3 Jelly Bean update is meant to make 'under the hood' changes that extends battery life and reduces sluggishness over time. Did you get the Google Edition Galaxy S4?

Anyone know of an app that I can run on the phone to move files around a network, primarily to move newly downloaded TV episodes from my PC to my Popcorn Hour without having them download to the phone first then onto the Popcorn hour? Something along the lines of FXP or such, tried the usual ones such as ES File Explorer and Total Commander etc but they don't seem to want to do it without the files moving to the phone first :(

Anyone know of an app that I can run on the phone to move files around a network, primarily to move newly downloaded TV episodes from my PC to my Popcorn Hour without having them download to the phone first then onto the Popcorn hour? Something along the lines of FXP or such, tried the usual ones such as ES File Explorer and Total Commander etc but they don't seem to want to do it without the files moving to the phone first :(

I'm afraid I don't know the interface required (software wise) to send to your Popcorn thing! However, to do something similar at home, I used a simple dos client on android to psexec scripts on my PC. So I just set up a script that I can either define individual/multiple files to my media device from PC. pcexec means it actually opens a session on the PC and runs the commands there, so they send direct. However, this of course isn't exactly a pretty GUI option!

If both devices have an ftp service (of course you can easily install one on the pc), you can definitely initiate direct ftp transfer remotely on android. If the Popcorn is only a windows share, you could setup a loading folder which runs a script every 5 minutes or so that moves files in that folder to your Popcorn, then use ftp client to move the files to that folder on PC?

Huge thanks for the reply Negatrev! Yes my PC has an FTP server running on it and the Popcorn Hour has both an FTP server and a Samba server (I generally move the files from the PC to the Popcorn Hour using its Samba server as it is connected to my PC via a drive letter) but I would be fine using FTP from PC-Popcorn Hour if I can do it directly.

I'll look into Pcexec thanks, not the greatest at non-Gui stuff but I can make my way around Dos/Batch file when I need to simplify something, perhaps you could share your sample scripts if you don't mind?

Huge thanks for the reply Negatrev! Yes my PC has an FTP server running on it and the Popcorn Hour has both an FTP server and a Samba server (I generally move the files from the PC to the Popcorn Hour using its Samba server as it is connected to my PC via a drive letter) but I would be fine using FTP from PC-Popcorn Hour if I can do it directly.

I'll look into Pcexec thanks, not the greatest at non-Gui stuff but I can make my way around Dos/Batch file when I need to simplify something, perhaps you could share your sample scripts if you don't mind?

Well in that case something simple like this would work fine to copy everything to a new place and you don't necessarily need to go as complex as psexec...

@echo off
move d:\tv\*.* \\popcorn\sharename

You would save this as a filename.bat file and then it can be run.

If you create a new scheduled task to run every 5 minutes or something. However, if you automate it, you'll need to prevent it from moving partially downloaded files. You could change the *.* to *.fileextension to limit it to individual file types. Then if you download using firefox, the suffix will/can be a special one until it finished (I can't remember if this is by default of my firefox settings).

There are a lot more elaborate things you can do, but I'll leave that to you to get more advanced.

See this site as a great reference tool.

http://ss64.com/nt/psexec.html

PS you could manually call this script on your android phone using something like the below.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=excelsior.remote.command&hl=en

There are a few out there.

Good luck playing!

Nexus 4 dropped to £159/£199 now, amazing value for a brilliant phone.

Right my Nexus 4 is knackered nearly after buying it at launch, whats the best upgrade? Nexus 6 seems too expensive for a phone that isn't what it should be.

I recently bought an OWN S1 FUN, USD$58, android 5.0, quadcore 1.3ghz (Mediatek :c), GPU Mali400, 1GB RAM, 8Gb internal memory plus i bought a micro SD of 16gb.
I'm happy to say that it can run PES6 with PPSSPP, but it isn't very comfortably to play, can someone tell me another football game to my phone?

PD:FTS15 and DLS16 are too easy, please another one :D

Back
Top Bottom