Arsenal Thread

Clockender

is back...but for how long?
27 November 2001
East Lower, Block 13
Arsenal FC
Its has been requested that a new thread be started so that the title of it can be changed to suit the current mood. Zico started the old Arsenal thread and since he has been banned the thread title could never be changed. I have politely asked the MODS to lock the old thread so people don't get confused.

Anyway, here we go then. The first topic of conversation is something that is worrying me: Thierry's contract. Is he gonna stay or go?

Other news items at the moment is our defensive crisis. Cole out for 4-6 weeks and Campbell injured again!! Whats going on!!

Last edited:
Re: The All New ARSENAL Thread - Henry talks on hold until Summer 2006

ahhh, that's better.

Henry's hedging his bets until the summer and waiting to hear his options. I personally don't blame him one bit for doing this. He's 28, his next contract is the most important of his career and he wants to see if Arsenal match his ambition. It's up to Wenger and DD to convince him we are worthy!

Defence wise we shouldn't be too worried. Big Phil is top draw and needs the experience. His first game vs West Brom this weekend shouldn't be too much of a test. As for left back, I don' think I've seen Clichy have a bad game for the goons and again, he needs the exp. before Cashley fu*ks off to Madrid next summer!

LOL. Henry moving back to Juve would be good for both club and country so thats an attractive move for him.

RuneEdge said:
LOL. Henry moving back to Juve would be good for both club and country so thats an attractive move for him.

LOL good for who, Juve? It'll be good for whoever he joins and bad for us.

Whilst I am a bit concerned about it I think he will stay. Well I am praying he stays!!

I think he'll stay as long as we buy players and Wenger knows that.

The Jan transfer window is big for us, we have to show the ambition to strengthen the squad, particularly in midfield.

At the time (summer, post Vieira) i would have moved for Niemi and Bouba Diop, if i were Wenger. At least that's what i thought back then.

Rumours are Reyes has persuaded his friend Fernando Torres to come to Arsenal.

I can't really see it happening though however he did say if he was to move it wouldnt be to anywhere else in Spain. He would fit perfectly alongside Henry with Reyes on the left.

Speaking of rumors i heard that Wenger was interested in buying this German player (can't remember his name) who is ment to be the equivalent to Crouch.

@Noted, Around how much will he cost then?

Professor Nutmeg said:
At the time (summer, post Vieira) i would have moved for Niemi and Bouba Diop, if i were Wenger. At least that's what i thought back then.

Definitely Bouba, Niemi would have been good but perhaps a longer term option is what Wenger has in mind?

In his defence, he did try his best to bring in Baptista who would have been perfect, as well as make an audacious bid for Robinho. On the keeper front, the Sebastian Viera transfer looked to be a done deal but fell through last minute. Just unlucky I guess, but we must get at least 1 player in Jan.

Diop is quality, just what we need. I know a few Fulham fans and they all agree he is their best player (not hard I know!). The Torres story is interesting, he is the sort of player that Wenger would usually go for, young, quick, exciting. I am convinced he would do well in the Prem. Problem is how much is he gonna cost? Have we got the money? Questions, questions....

Yeah Joystick we were unlucky this summer. If Robinho and Baptista had come off it would have been amazing!!

Stringer Bell said:
Speaking of rumors i heard that Wenger was interested in buying this German player (can't remember his name) who is ment to be the equivalent to Crouch.

@Noted, Around how much will he cost then?

From Soccernet..

Nurnberg have reacted to speculation their Germany Under-21 striker Stefan Kiessling is being monitored by Arsenal and Schalke by offering him a new contract.

Kiessling has hit the headlines this season, his first in the top flight of German football, by replacing Marek Mintal as Nurnberg's main attacking threat.

His performances have given him a regular berth in the Germany Under-21 side and are thought to have brought him to the attention of Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger and Schalke coach Ralf Rangnick.

Nurnberg have, therefore, offered him the chance to remain in Bavaria until 2009.

'We want to reward Stefan's performances,' said Nurnberg's director of football Martin Bader to Kicker magazine.

Torres has a minimum release clause of €60m. So thats bad news. But then again its been said if we offer something like 20-25m euros Atletico could accept because they need the money and surely Torres will be looking for a move soon to a bigger club.

And Arsenal would be the best choice in England what with the new stadium, a few spanish players in the first team and the attacking football would suit him.

Noted said:
Torres has a minimum release clause of €60m. So thats bad news. But then again its been said if we offer something like 20-25m euros Atletico could accept because they need the money and surely Torres will be looking for a move soon to a bigger club.

And Arsenal would be the best choice in England what with the new stadium, a few spanish players in the first team and the attacking football would suit him.
torres seems to be a post player type striker, ala morientes, ruud, etc.... I dont think he fits into arsenals system. where the forwards typicall drop back in the midfield....

csaunders said:
torres seems to be a post player type striker, ala morientes, ruud, etc.... I dont think he fits into arsenals system. where the forwards typicall drop back in the midfield....

I disagree. We have loads of providers but Henry is the only player who is a dedicated goal scorer (and even he gets a load of assists). We need a clinical, predatory, selfish goal machine like el Nino to round off all our fancy build-up play.

He would also open other doors for us, as when teams wise up and start to man mark him, it will leave space in the opposition defence for players like Jose, Freddie and Pires to exploit.

Torres again linked with Milan for the 20th time in 2 years. Was in an interview before the Spain game on saturday.

Do Milan really need another striker?

Yes because Vieri stinks and is 33, and Inzaghi is 32 and is very injury prone. Torres can also be a potential cover for Kaka since Rui Costa is retiring real soon.

Well I have to agree with Milanista. But I wouldn't classify Torres as a cover for Kaka. A Sheva-Torres pair would be aweseme.
off topic. Milanista, how is Gilardino doing in Milan?I haven't seen Milan games for some weeks now. :\

Hes played almost all the games.... scored 2 goals. He seems alittle rusty, but give him another month to wake up!!!

Is there any truth in these rumours of a takover that are flying around?

jamie_mack said:
Is there any truth in these rumours of a takover that are flying around?

Dont know about a takeover but my cousins in the states say press over there have stated that that Shawn Carter (jay-z) is looking to buy a stake in the gunners which is poss as he already has a stake in an NY b-ball team....

Yeah! Reckon we'll get Rocafella sponsorship? :p

It can't see it happening myself. The club has been in the hands of the Hill-Wood's for 60 odd years.

Joystick said:
Yeah! Reckon we'll get Rocafella sponsorship? :p
I was thinking that too. Imagine guys like Henry and Ashley Cole modeling the clothes in ads. :lol:

Re: The All New ARSENAL Thread - Henry & Campbell back on 22nd Oct?

Hleb is now out for a good few weeks, the bad luck on the injury front continues for the gunners!

Re: The All New ARSENAL Thread - Henry & Campbell back on 22nd Oct?

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Hleb is now out for a good few weeks, the bad luck on the injury front continues for the gunners!

yeh thats bad news. Plus Cole 8 weeks. Damn.
But, Henry should be retuning soon and Campbells injury isnt as bad as initially thought.

This weekend is going to be no easy match. No Gilberto.

Back
Top Bottom