The BBC: The worst set of presenters/commentators?

MOTD: Rubbish Commentators?

• Yes

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Not Bothered

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Rocky...Go back to exam revision u fool

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

rockykabir

hello
30 March 2003
London -> New York -> San Francisco
Liverpool FC
Something highlighted by some of our scottish friends here is the sheer amount of BS Motty (John Motson) and co. regurgitates during England matches coveraged by the BBC. I never really noticed it until recently tbh - but I think it's always been there.

Albeit, we can give em a lot of credit from picking out Alan Hansen - I'm also a fan of Lineker and Lynam as well tbh - but the rest are absolutely shambolic. Some that I can think right now...
  • Jimmy Hill - A right tw8 in my book...that ridiculous England bowtie was the last straw for me. Its all cool being patriotic, but not by looking like a right fool(!). His comments were a bit absurd as well.
  • Ian Wright - "Other teams will do it against us, so why don't we? It will happen to us again, so we should" - ARRRRGGHH!!!!! what the hell is this guy playing at?! What makes it ok for England to do it? When you hear comments like that, you just get put off supporting England :(
  • Mark Lawrenson - Loved him as a player...but his does speak a lot of bull. I don't mind him that much tbh...his comments (and shredded wheat inspired hair) are quite legendary
  • Alan Shearer - zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Any other suggestions for worst commentator/presenter - or am I being too harsh? Don't get me wrong, I love supporting England....but when you hear some of the BS these guys come out with, you just wonder :roll:

I do pride at how the BBC, usually, has the best (arguably) relatively unbiased news and political coverage - but they seem to forget it all when it comes to footy for some reason....

Last edited:
The worst commentators i ever heard were a French duo of TF1: Thiery Roland and Jean Michel Larqué...

Your forgetting Peter Reid mate.

Peter_Reid_Monkey_Compare.jpg

Actually during the excellent World Cup stories on BBC2 they were featuring Argentina & World Cup 78 - David Coleman was commentating and every goal was met with the simple "one-nil, two-nil" etc...) - funny how things have changed really

db

ps - I wouldn't agree with you on the BBC and it's coverage of news/politics but that's probably a story or another day ;)

I think they're brilliant, actually. Motty will always be my commentating hero, Barry Davies is fantastic, Jonathan Pearce is brilliant but takes a bit of getting used to after never having listened to Five Live. Lawro is a bit so-so but then he's more of a "real" person than the others (being quite sarcy to Motty at times), Lineker is a good football presenter (but if he tries to present anything else he's crap, as he was at presenting the golf last year), Hansen is fantastic at breaking things down tactically and is the only reason in the universe I wouldn't switch the telly off straight after ANY football game.

Wrighty is rubbish however, if England lost to the best goal ever scored in history, I've got a feeling he'd sulk and say "that woz crap". Lee Dixon is a bit of a desperate-measure as well.

ITV-wise, Gabby Logan is crap, Andy Townsend is crap, Ally McCoist is alright as an analyst, and the main commentator whose name I forget is quite good (he's on all the bloody adverts though so I'm getting a bit sick of him). Overall, though, I can't stand their presentations from the word go.

All in all, I think the BBC are brilliant, followed by Sky (if they haven't changed from Richard Keys, Martin Tyler and Andy Gray - bear in mind I haven't seen Sky for about five years). ITV will always be rock-bottom last, even if they ditch Gabby and bring Des back (although I hope they do).

denirobob said:
Actually during the excellent World Cup stories on BBC2 they were featuring Argentina & World Cup 78 - David Coleman was commentating and every goal was met with the simple "one-nil, two-nil" etc...) - funny how things have changed really

db

I'm loving the series. Have only seen the Argentina one so far, mind.

They are all shit. Last night, however, they did trash Hargreaves, which was nice.

denirobob said:
Slightly off-topic (sue me) but I saw the Argentina world cup story too and thought it was excellent. It certainly made you see how football tied in to the whole political situation. That and I could watch the second Maradona goal against England in 86 all day. (I'm also aware how many people could do the same with his first ;) )

Edit: Actually now STR has taken it off-topic first, result.

I guess I'm the only one that voted for him to do some revision. You people need to get your priorities right. ;)

ITV and Clive "one glorious night in Barcelona" Tyldsley can fuck right off, they are absolutely dire and Gabby Logan has taken to dressing up as a vampire recently too.

BBC are far better, although Motty is an arse with his constant England/66 comments he actually does a good job of commentating when he's not babbling on about that. Hansen, I don't like, I don't see how any Scottish person could say "we" when referring to England. Ian Wright I previously didn't mind but his comments about Gerrard's dive last night were a disgrace (as if England have only now started diving, guess he forgot Owen against Argentina in '02). Lawrenson is a complete prat.

Quite like Lineker actually.

What does everyone think of "Steve Banyard" (I think this is correct spelling), I'm curious?
I'm not in UK so I have no idea which station he's with or whatever so this may be slightly off-topic if he's not with BBC but just want to know people's opinion on him if they know him which I assume most do.

p.s. And Oh yeah Rocky go back to revision you fool! :mrgreen:
Don't waste time on this BS

Did anyone "press the red button" after the England vs Brazil WC2002 match? :mrgreen:

I was had to go to school so I couldn't, but apparently Lineker, Hansen, Peter Reid and Wrighty thought the link was broken and so they were off air.
They then started properly talking to each other, and saying stuff like this gem from Ian Wright: "What the fuck was fucking Seaman doing off his fucking line like that!"
But, although the cameras were off, the audio was still working, so their whole conversation was broadcast to the world :D

BBC news unbiased, don't make me laugh :D

I just realised how crap Motson is, just the other day. Really odd remarks, he honestly knows nothing about football outside of MOTD highlights

BBC News ain't that bad.....every news source (well, the editors) have their own agenda in some way - from my experience, the BBC is not that bad. Although personally, I rather take my news collectively from various newspapers.

NickSCFC said:
Clive Tyldsley's the best I reckon, sounds great on EA WC06
What are you doing playing THAT game?! :p

Tyldesley does my head in bloody pro-Man U bias and Barcelona 99. I cringe at ITV's presentation, and they still use really shitty quality cameras for their games as well. BBC aren't much cop, Motson is an Anglocentric twat, and this is what our licence fee gives us in return :|

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Peter Brackley (not on PES) and Martin Tyler, John Motson is a tit

Motty's a legend, though I did laugh today about how he said England and Sweden might want to both lose their last game if Germany finish second in their group.

I really wouldn't want to play the team that beat Germany :mrgreen:

easyeasyeasy said:
What are you doing playing THAT game?! :p

Tyldesley does my head in bloody pro-Man U bias and Barcelona 99. I cringe at ITV's presentation, and they still use really shitty quality cameras for their games as well. BBC aren't much cop, Motson is an Anglocentric twat, and this is what our licence fee gives us in return :|

Tyldsley is probably the worst than Motson IMO.... (i'm not a fan of Will Buckley, but he's not far off the mark here)

CliveTyldesleyITV.jpg

Take the Tyldesley test to go all the way

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1790181,00.html

Mick McCarthy is now commentating on Serbia v Holland. Jesus Christ, I could kill myself. "Eee up lad, you could ride t'tandem down that wing"... :(

Actual quote: "He's cooling himself down and he's not actually doing anything". :(

Second actual quote: "D'you have to be on yer feet to get a yellow card?" :(:(:(

:lol: yer he pretty bad
But surely not as bad a Gareth Southgate on ITV
he hardly speaks!! so boring

From my perspective, BBC are a lot better than ITV in terms of concentrating on the actual game and not sticking in an England reference whenever possible.

Would agree on McCarthy, which is why the BBC interactive option of having Five Live commentary or match sound only is great. I use the latter, fantastic atmosphere with no commentary ;).

Hi Classic,

I've used that a few time too - also tried the Five Live one but it's a few secs ahead of the action, so I heard Englanbd's goal before i saw it!

No sign of the foreign commentary option yet :(

db

denirobob said:
Tyldsley is probably the worst than Motson IMO.... (i'm not a fan of Will Buckley, but he's not far off the mark here)

CliveTyldesleyITV.jpg

Take the Tyldesley test to go all the way

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1790181,00.html

Thats a very entertaining little piece there.

I think Barry Davies was the best, the others just talk a lot of shit. Although the commentators on fiveLive,as someone has already mentioned are very good, probably because they have to actually watch and understand the match to give the listener a good idea of whats going on.

If Motty has been watching the game for thirty years, how comes he still knows absolutely nothing about football.

I very much doubt he even played at school in the palyground, thats how shocking some of his comments are.

Back
Top Bottom