The beautiful game has become ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RichG

What the hell have they done to pes5!?! The game has gone from a flowing passing, attacking game with great long balls great passing and brilliant shots, to a mediocre, boring, scrappy and ugly game. The passing is abysmal with random bouncing around of the ball, tackles that have no effect, no time on the ball and poor refereeing desicions. You spend most of the time chasing the ball and even on the off chance you win a randomly bobbled ball, within a few passes one of them goes astray and your chasing again for the next few minutes. It all feels too random and like you have no control of what is going on.

Now before you all say its because i'm rubbish at the game, i'm not. I've been playing iss/pes since the first version back on the psone I regulary play pes4 on 6 stars and win, i win about 75% of my online games. Maybe i'm doing something wrong with this version but i'm struggling to even score. I played 20 matches yesterday, most of which where 0-0 draws, and scored about 3 goals. I've played for about 2 weeks now and i'm running out of patience with it.

How can i go from being a very good player to a poor one in 1 version of the game. Anyone else having the same problem?

PES has always tried to achieve total realism, this is a step further.

Trust me, last Friday I was ready to bin this game, keep at it, try new things, try shooting more, trust me it's alot better.

I hope so! I usually play down the wings a lot but in this version it doesn't work. I tried playing through the middle, but thats where it becomes scrappy. It just feels like hard work rather than fun.

RichG said:
I've been playing iss/pes since the first version back on the psone I regulary play pes4 on 6 stars and win, i win about 75% of my online games. Maybe i'm doing something wrong with this version but i'm struggling to even score. I played 20 matches yesterday, most of which where 0-0 draws, and scored about 3 goals. I've played for about 2 weeks now and i'm running out of patience with it.

A lot of us have been playing ISS/PES for years, however we have only been playing PES5 for weeks.
You're obviously stuck in past PES mode, whereby your eyes expect to see what your fingers did in prior versions.
Time will eventually reveal where you're going wrong in your play. Don't expect to pick up (PES5) where you left off (PES4). I'd be a bit annoyed if 5 played the same as 4.

i have played since iss/pes and i think that pes5 has reached such a high level of realism that i love this game even more!!!! i just played with chelsea vs newcastle 2-2 until the penalties thats great i luv this gameeeeeeeeee

Burak_FB1907 said:
oh shut up and just play it and don't expect to beat Brazil with Latvia straight away

Clap......Clap......Clap.... Playing ML as always, don't expect anything but a football SIM love it when i'm being outplayed, don't think the comp ever scores enough goals, love the fact that an error factor has been put in for offsides and the odd foul but i hate the things that are wrong with the game just as much as i love the things that are right!! and will moan or praise them on these forums.... it's what it's here for aint it.

so STFU and get your had out of your pants!! Oh have a nice day!!

Last edited:
My first impressions was it seemed like FIFA(!). I didn't buy WE9 so this was a huge step up for me from PES4.

I stuck at it and I am beginning to believe that this is the best incarnation yet. The realism in the passing is the best thing about it - the way the ball curves and slows down on the ground truly allows you to make some defence splitting passes.

It is possible to have some truly sublime passing - but it is occasional and dependent on the team you use (i.e. West Brom can't play like Brazil!) - just like in real football.

I actually can't believe what a huge step up it has been :shock: :D

always LOVED PES,
Now i love it even more than i already did (didn't know it was possible :p)

The movements, the feeling, the reality...
It all became better!
The difference between the players and teams is so real that when playing the game its like u feel the ball. :)

Well i'm very happy with it!!!

/cheers

I think the "random" factor is most deliberate.
Realism,most guy's here would call it.
The weird thing is,I've mastered this game better than previous versions.
Or should I say,instead of losing 3-0,I now lose 1-0 more frequently,lol.

I hate to say this but I think I'm with you RichG. I think your quote sums it up for me: "It just feels like hard work rather than fun."

I used to love lofted through balls down the wings and pinging over a cross but now every player seems starved of any space. When you do make a yard it seems even poorly rated defenders can catch up with your hot-shot Premiership striker. V. frustrating.

For me, it seems that there are too many frustrating aspects which have been added and these seem to overshadow the good improvements, like the slide tackles, player animations and random referee decisions.

I'll keep playing it in the hope that I find out something which makes it fun to play, but at the moment my thumb's getting sore chasing round like a headless chicken trying to win the ball back...

to set the record straight, this game is meant to be like real football. look at the statistics at the end of most games, and on average, the stats at the end of pro ev 5 games will bear a great resebblance. a lot of fouls, not too many shots mostly, and even possession. its just fantastic i reckon. i would bet that the people who dont enjoy this game are not the best at football in real life

I remeber people always complaining that there is no challenge, you win every match, it's bring (PES2, PES3 and Pes4) and now it is difficult (and yes it really is difficult) and people complain it is too difficult...all those so-called freaks of simulations don't like it when it really becomes like real football...football is hard work and like somebody said: don't expect WBA to play like Brazil...

Well tbh u can play like brazil with any team in this game. It all depends on how u play. It seems a lot of people on here who are moaning cant really play the game proper. And judging by some of the online players i have played they can not longer run with 1 man anymore and score.

Because of this the game is branded crap but just like in real football players don't always run with the ball. There is 9 other players on the pitch who can help u score.

I can keep my reply short:

This game is damn hard, and thats why i love this version :applause:

(now i play 4 stars, while 6stars on pes4 was way 2 easy)

i think NickSCFC is right: "try new things, try shooting more, trust me it's alot better"

I think that all the whiners should go straight away to play fifa 2006 lol
not that difficult game and have as fun as u want =D

I think the try new things method works well, mix and match according to the situation is superb in this game. Don't always go for the wing, only go there when there's space.

Play to space not type, I find myself scrapping most games, the rare and occasional three nil win. It's good stuff.

Hint: try playing the long ball down the wings when you have a free kick or just regained possesion when defending - works well for my ML Brighton team.

The game is better than PES4 in every single way, Konami gave us realism so people should stop complaining or they might go back to making a ping-pong simulator instead. :o

After a week of playing it now, I totally agree with what JayM said above.

It struck me last night when playing my Ascoli ML and the way I was having to move the ball around. This might partly have been because of my formation, but I was finding myself having to move the ball backwards so much more than I ever did in PES4, just to keep possession. My midfielder or wingback would have the ball, faced by one or two defenders, and the forward passing lanes were well covered. I had to turn, shield, and then play back towards my CB or DMF. Then I could switch the ball across to the other flank and try again on the other side.

This is so much more realistic. In PES4 there was almost always a forward ball on, but PES5 is slightly more 'chess-like' now. I play a possession game, and that means first touch, shielding, close control and looking for the simple ball is important. This is ten times better in PES5 than it was before and it suits me down to the ground.

My advice is: don't force it. If there's no forward pass on, look square or back for the spare man. Keep the ball and you'll find those beautiful, flowing passing moves with a bit of patience.

nerf said:

It struck me last night when playing my Ascoli ML and the way I was having to move the ball around. This might partly have been because of my formation, but I was finding myself having to move the ball backwards so much more than I ever did in PES4, just to keep possession. My midfielder or wingback would have the ball, faced by one or two defenders, and the forward passing lanes were well covered. I had to turn, shield, and then play back towards my CB or DMF. Then I could switch the ball across to the other flank and try again on the other side.

This is so much more realistic. In PES4 there was almost always a forward ball on, but PES5 is slightly more 'chess-like' now. I play a possession game, and that means first touch, shielding, close control and looking for the simple ball is important. This is ten times better in PES5 than it was before and it suits me down to the ground.

My advice is: don't force it. If there's no forward pass on, look square or back for the spare man. Keep the ball and you'll find those beautiful, flowing passing moves with a bit of patience.

Couldnt agree more nerf.

To add to what you've said the use of the front man to hold the ball up is also key especially if they have a large physical precense.

Ive only been playing random exhibition games and my latest was a 0-0 this morning (4* 15min) Fiorentina v Samp. Using Toni upfront to win headers and bring the smaller Bojinov into the game seemed to be the best approach.

Also, i found myself trying to get the ball to my creative player(s) e.g. Jorgensen & Fiore to provide that extra spark that could unlock the Genovese rearguard.

db

Love the game, i have no quarrels with the gameplay but the refs are bloddy annoying!! ive had penatlies given against me for legit tackles!!!
Also anyone else find it hard to score penalties? i miss at least 2 or 3 each shoutout, also i think im yet to score one in normal time.

Didn't notice penalties being any harder, one thing though that is my main complain, even offsides are always called as being off, should be more advantage given to my strikers me thinks. :p

yeah the offsides are a bit dodgy...its is like real life i suppose, the refs spoils the game and i hate them in real life and on pes5.

This game is great for that. Reason why there are people complaining is because they're lazy. you have to push the the buttons at least twice as much and you also have to think a lot more too. this wasn't the case in past PES games. change ur way of playing this game or just buy FIFA. Your choice

Cheers for all your advice people. Just to make a point, I'm not whining or whinging about the game, I'm just finding hard to get to grips with. I love pes but it just frustrating for me because I don't have as much time as I used to play (due to wife and kid) and it just feels like the limited time i have is spent relearning the whole game rather than have fun with it.

Having said that, I've taken on some of your advice and stuck with it a bit. I tried playing quite a lot of matches south korea vs japan, for a slower more technical game (which suites my play) and i'm slowly getting to grips with it. I have mixed my play a bit more and played for more possesion rather than counter attack, it seems to be getting more enjoyable now (i can finally get my shot count above 3 lol!). I think I jumped in at the deep end playing a premiership league as newcastle.

I'll stick with it anyway, cheers again...

RichG said:
I hope so! I usually play down the wings a lot but in this version it doesn't work. I tried playing through the middle, but thats where it becomes scrappy. It just feels like hard work rather than fun.

keep at it!

there was one occasion when i played 3 consecutive games online, and every game was really scrappy. every game was a 0-0 draw and i don't think there were more than about 10 shots in the entire three games. i turned it off because it was shit. it felt shit to play, and it looked shit - the ball was pinging off everybody and everything - there was NO fluidity at all. i was frustrated and on the verge of smashing my joypad against the wall. i think if i had played for the rest of the night i wouldn't have scored a goal. i was disgusted with the game...

then, next day i turned it on and everything was perfect! my passes were finding my men. i was creating space well and my shots were flyin' in from 30 yards - it was brilliant...

THAT my friend is the beauty of PES!

nerf said:

sorry if this sounds strange or out of context, but can you imagine applying the above quote to FIFA? it would just never happen - that is why PES is the greatest. people talk about it like it is real football!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom