The best British side ever in one season...

What is the Best British team ever in one season

• Celtic 1967

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Manchester United 1999

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Arsenal 2003-2004

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Another team???

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
I was intriged by Vann's signature which says someting like: "Man Utd the only team ever to win the lot"...well i knew that in 1999 they definitely did not win the League Cup...so techincally they never won "the lot"...From then on i started a research for a team who won four trophees in one season...and yes i've found one: the Lisbon Lions!!!! In 1967 Celtic won the Scottish Chmapionship, the Scottish Cup, the Scottish Fa Cup and ECI (in a time when only champions played in that cup). So to me that is the greatest British team (in one season) ever.
Of course what Man Utd did in 1999 was splendid aswell and let's not forget Arsenal's last season...
And maybe there is another contender too...
What do you guys think.

The fact that Liverpool aren't an option in your poll is very suspect, the 83-84 season: Title, European cup, and league cup, doesn't seem worth a mention?? Mmmmm, and lets not forget every European cup LFC won they had to win the league to enter the competition. So in that season (83-84) where talking back to back titles (82-83, 83-84). So I think the most successfull british side in history should certainly be an option in any poll.

Last edited:
But the diffference here is that we're talking about ONE season. Liverpool were a great side in the past but over a period of time.
But did they win a treble of FA Cup, Premiership and European Cup? Man Utd did that and thats more impressive.
Another thing is that Gerd is only counting cups. When Man Utd won in 99, they went through some really tough teams, possibly one of the hardest routes to the trophy.

Well i must confess that i forgot Liverpool...the Liverpool team of the 7O's & the 80's was a great team...but i'm not sure if they ever won three or four throphees in one season...

gerd said:
I was intriged by Vann's signature which says someting like: "Man Utd the only team ever to win the lot"...well i knew that in 1999 they definitely did not win the League Cup...so techincally they never won "the lot"...From then on i started a research for a team who won four trophees in one season...and yes i've found one: the Lisbon Lions!!!! In 1967 Celtic won the Scottish Chmapionship, the Scottish Cup, the Scottish Fa Cup and ECI (in a time when only champions played in that cup). So to me that is the greatest British team (in one season) ever.
Of course what Man Utd did in 1999 was splendid aswell and let's not forget Arsenal's last season...
And maybe there is another contender too...
What do you guys think.
FORGETTIN THAT CELTIC DID ONLY WIN THE SCOTTISH LEAUGE AND CUPS!(which isnt shit compared to english)

FUCK CELTIC!

Arsenal easy get it a whole season unbeatin' and nobody has that!, so instead of waitin' till 3 teams have done something and startin' a thread askin' who was the best, be original and start the first "Season unbeatin'" thread and just honour arsenal!, and NO i do not support arsenal!

Your just crying because Rangers aint done what Celtic has done.

Chelsea's run this season which included a defeat was far more impressive compared to Arsenal's undefeated run.

RuneEdge said:
Chelsea's run this season which included a defeat was far more impressive compared to Arsenal's undefeated run.

Debatable, when you consider Chel$ki have unlimited $$$ behind them and Arsenal spent less than Spurs to get their team together. Arsenal's run came off the back of losing the title to Man Yoo and being written off after Wenger had previously predicted that his squad could actually go a season unbeaten.

As for a single season, has to be Man Utd '99. They only won the league by a point and rode their luck considerably in the CL final, but 3 major trophies is 3 major trophies. They've set the water mark for achievement in one season for me.

PS Celtic? avin a laugh?

Joystick said:
Debatable, when you consider Chel$ki have unlimited $$$ behind them and Arsenal spent less than Spurs to get their team together. Arsenal's run came off the back of losing the title to Man Yoo and being written off after Wenger had previously predicted that his squad could actually go a season unbeaten.
Well if you talk about the money, then I dont respect the way Chelsea have done it a single bit. But thats life and people should learn to live with it. If money is your excuse then Evertons efforts this season should be considered better than both teams cuz instead of buying players (Beattie is nothing special), Everton actually lost 2 huge players in Rooney and Gravesen yet they're still finishing 4th after a relegation battle last year.
The fact is, Chelsea were far more impressive. Arsenal had too many draws in their campaign. At first I thought being undefeated is a HUGE thing but now that Chelsea have won the title by a mile with 1 loss, being undefeated is starting to look like a requirement for winning the Premiership.
You dont look 'invincible' now, do you?

RuneEdge said:
Well if you talk about the money, then I dont respect the way Chelsea have done it a single bit. But thats life and people should learn to live with it. If money is your excuse then Evertons efforts this season should be considered better than both teams cuz instead of buying players (Beattie is nothing special), Everton actually lost 2 huge players in Rooney and Gravesen yet they're still finishing 4th after a relegation battle last year.
The fact is, Chelsea were far more impressive. Arsenal had too many draws in their campaign. At first I thought being undefeated is a HUGE thing but now that Chelsea have won the title by a mile with 1 loss, being undefeated is starting to look like a requirement for winning the Premiership.

ha ha, coming from a manc. United have spent as much if not more than Chelski!

No they aren't. They already lost to Man Utd 3 times this season.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
United by a country mile...

lost 4 games all comps in 1999

arsenal lost more than that last year..
In all competitions? Now that's a statistic.
But Chelsea have been really playing great football this season, with the exception of the first few games, where they brought the bus and parked infront of goal. :lol:

lumlum said:
In all competitions? Now that's a statistic.
But Chelsea have been really playing great football this season, with the exception of the first few games, where they brought the bus and parked infront of goal. :lol:

I disagree, chelsea dont play good football, they play effective football, compared to Arsenal and United they dont really match up, similar to his porto days Mourinho knows if you have a good defense you can win things, without there wingers chelsea look ordinary...

chelsea = porto with money!

Vann, i think you should change your signature to: "Man Utd, the team that almost did aswell as the Lisbon Lions"...
When i started this thread i knew this was going to happen...really another pointless discussion between fans of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd.
IMHO there simply is no debate: the 1967 Celtic team won everything there was to win...and i think that in 1967 the Scottish competition was much stronger than today....

You cant really say that unless you saw the Lisbon Lions play. The CL final in 1999 was a bit of a fluke for Man Utd but the history books wont say that. Who knows how Celtic won those titles. And how strong is the Scottish league compared to the Premiership?

RuneEdge said:
You cant really say that unless you saw the Lisbon Lions play. The CL final in 1999 was a bit of a fluke for Man Utd but the history books wont say that. Who knows how Celtic won those titles. And how strong is the Scottish league compared to the Premiership?

Man, you lot got chiefed up by Bayern for the whole 90mins. Plus there was that Mehmet Scholl shot that hit the cross bar with Schemichel looking like the he was rooted to the spot promoting Sugar Puffs. Then in injury time, one shot going wide with Sheringham adding a touch to score, and a header from Giggs being touched in by Solkjaer... that should be in the history books.

RuneEdge said:

Is it more impressive to complete a game with unlimited lives or to just complete it by playing well with a normal amount of lives? Carve it up and present it any way you like, the achievements of Chel$ki this season are born of finance, while those of Arsenal are of football.

You would be a fool to suggest that CFC have not been the best team in the country this season, but you would be similarly foolish if you dont concede that without the wealth of the Russian economy behind them quite simply NONE of this would have happened. Chelsea would still be £40 in debt, they'd still have Claudio, no Jose, no Robben, no Cech. If you are asking which is more impressive then there is no contest.

RuneEdge said:

No. And we never did. Anyone who bought into that media hype is frankly a mug.

:lol: LOL.............the Celtic 67 would beat a Premiership XI (since it's been created) any day of the week, as would the great Liverpool team and Manchester team of yester-year.

Not one team on the planet could live with that unbelievable R.Madrid team also, they'd hump Arsenal and Manchester one after the other.

For what they achieved with 11 scots born within such a close radius, that will never be done again. Their total wage packet was probably the equivalent of half the paypacket of Arsenal's groundsman probably.

And don't make me laugh about quality of teams then and now. In Scotland, the league is a joke now in terms of competition but back in the days of The Lisbon Lions the likes of Kilmarnock and Dunfermline, as well as Rangers where playing in the late stages of European competitions such as Quarters and Semis.

Gerd, it was an idea, but this board is overun by fucking imbeciles (like the Rangers fan) who can't believe football was played more than 5 years ago. Arsenal couldn't buy the European Cup. Man Utd did have a good team, but tbh they where very lucky to win it in the end, they never won their league, finished as runners-up in their groups (possibly there was 2 stages and still finished 2nd twice) and a tactical mistake by the Bayern manager caused them big-time. Nottingham Forest team also where brilliant too, no teams of the current era can be put in the same breathe as these teams. Actually mostly every top team in Europe I'd say are poorer than their older teams i.e. Milan, Barcelona, Inter, R.Madrid etc etc. (Don't even need to mention British teams, as probably 95% are poorer now).

FD

Last edited:
what about the forest team 1978-79 league and europen cup plus i thnk they won the league cup aswell! ow ihat day and age id say tha was impresive.

IceMan_Bergkamp said:
Man, you lot got chiefed up by Bayern for the whole 90mins. Plus there was that Mehmet Scholl shot that hit the cross bar with Schemichel looking like the he was rooted to the spot promoting Sugar Puffs. Then in injury time, one shot going wide with Sheringham adding a touch to score, and a header from Giggs being touched in by Solkjaer... that should be in the history books.

lol yeah of course we didnt put them under any pressure, those corners at the end of the game was due to bayerns attacking ability...

give it a rest, come back when your team can get past the 1/4 finals...

as for the lisbon lions, well as good as they may have been I never saw them, the other teams ive seen so its not relative to me...

Come on, Vann i saw the match in Barcelona (and i can assure that i was as glad as you were that Man Utd won it..), i know you as a reasonable guy...Be fair and admit that Bayern were the better team (i know Man Utd missed both Keane and Scholes and played with Blomqvist who rarely played) throughout the match. There was the Mehmet Scholl strike against the woodwork, Man Utd were dominated throughout the match except for the last few minutes in extra-time (when Schmeichel created confusion by coming up for the corner). Just admit that it was a freak win...(well that match, the semi-final against Juventus was great...)
I have seen the Lisbon Lions (but to be fair i don't remember a thing about it) but you don't have to see them in order to know that what they achieved was great...why can't you people just admit that they are the one and only team who managed to win everything there is to win in one season...Man Utd achievement still stands as a landmark too...but just give those magnificent old guys (who were all from within 15 kilometres of Glasgow) a break...
It's so hard for some of you English guys to admit great things coming from Scotland (except Ferguson, but you know what i think of him)...

Gerd, not 15km of Glasgow, but 15km of Celtic Park itself. Also worth pointing out they won the Fairs Cup that season as well, a competition which is more or less a 'British Cup' and no longer runs - 5 trophies.

I have noticed Vann's signature on more than one occassion but never got round to making a topic to dispute it, probably due to the way at times he so ignorantly dismisses Scottish football and I just didn't think it was worth it.

As for which side was the best, people saying Arsenal - what are you smoking? That team have been an out and out FAILURE in Europe, they shouldn't even be considered! It's difficult to compare teams from different eras, but due to the fact that Celtic team won every competition available to them in one season and the circumstances in which they did it (every player living that close to Celtic Park), I voted for them. Of course I'm going to be biased, but Vann your signature is simply wrong :).

Its that Celtic team, they won every tournament they were in, including all domestic leagues and cups and a proper European Cup (when only league winners + the holders could take part) no other British team (either Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or Manchester United) have done that so until they do there isnt much of a debate.

ClassicD said:
but Vann your signature is simply wrong :).

as I have had to explain to another scot on the board, it is a chant that we sing to other teams, IN OUR LEAGUE,

what other teams from other leagues/countries have or havent done isnt the issue, and im not taking anything away from what others teams have done its just not relevant to us or any other team in The Prem...

surely thats not difficult for people to understand...

gerd said:
Come on, Vann i saw the match in Barcelona (and i can assure that i was as glad as you were that Man Utd won it..), i know you as a reasonable guy...Be fair and admit that Bayern were the better team (i know Man Utd missed both Keane and Scholes and played with Blomqvist who rarely played) throughout the match. There was the Mehmet Scholl strike against the woodwork, Man Utd were dominated throughout the match except for the last few minutes in extra-time (when Schmeichel created confusion by coming up for the corner). Just admit that it was a freak win...(well that match, the semi-final against Juventus was great...)
I have seen the Lisbon Lions (but to be fair i don't remember a thing about it) but you don't have to see them in order to know that what they achieved was great...why can't you people just admit that they are the one and only team who managed to win everything there is to win in one season...Man Utd achievement still stands as a landmark too...but just give those magnificent old guys (who were all from within 15 kilometres of Glasgow) a break...
It's so hard for some of you English guys to admit great things coming from Scotland (except Ferguson, but you know what i think of him)...

sos gerd but all though they dominated for most of the game, they believed the game was won and when we kept going and showed them we would carry on to the whislte they bottled it...

thats not my definiton of "the better team"

im biased, so obviously regardless of how good celtics achievement was back in the 60's me actually witnessing The Treble puts '99 above everything else...

and Gerd i'm aware of many good things to come from Scotland, cos they always end up playing or managing in England, just look at the scottish players who have played or managed United ..

but even the most biased scots must admit that the current footballing pool in Scotland is nothing compared to yesteryear so its not just a case of me "igonorantly dismissing scottish football"

Back
Top Bottom