The best ever WE game (PS2)?

inter_211 said:
brunnoce said:
Yeah man i really miss those days. THe older games had the stats out of 10, 9 being maximum! ROnaldo- Owen -Sheva. WHere the best in the game. COz all of them with a speed of 9. Bergkamp and batistuta had the power man.

Bigger stat range = more player variety/skill differences. I admit even with Max of 10 then 20 for stats, the older games were still a blast to play.

For me :

Pre PS1 - International SuperStar Soccer (on Nintendo) I think.
Pre PS2 - ISS Pro Evolution 2
PS2 - WE6FE, WE7I, WE8LE

IMO, the WE8,PES4 & WE8I are the worst iteration. Konami took a backstep with these, and have only slightly redeemed themselves with WE8LE.

If I were forced to choose, i'd say give me WE7I, with ML structure from WE8I (player dev). I would have already died a happy man, even if Konami didn't continue evolving the series.

Cheers.

Can't go past WE6 it was pure excellence with a capital E

brunnoce said:
wasnt it 19??
i remember 19...or am i just making a confusion after so much time of CM(wich has stats up to 20)

Till winning eleven 4 it was out of 10, then in the 2000 series it was out of 20

Yep, ISS Pro Evolution 1 and 2 had that magic with them, unsurpasses playability although one of them had that problem of the unstopabble 1-2 (I think it was pro evo 1) and also the ferrari acelerations of Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos (which made Brazil a banned team at my place) but even this one was a fault of pro evo 1 i think, pro evo 2 solved that out I guess.

I tink Pro evo 2 was probably the best version in it's time, when compaired to today's version in their time. Simply magical...

I still remember the days when dribbling was really up to you and not button combos.. you had to have the perfect timing to swift directions and dazzle oponents, while the only real dribble in existence was the face shot (square+passing) which was very efective on the sidelines against sidebacks.

Unstopable players of those days: Davids (what a horse), Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos (could be played as striker with no problems, a fault I guess). Also remember the finess of Bergkamp or the dangerous headers of Kluivert. What about the speed of Amokachi and Babangida with Kanu delivering dangerous headers in the middle with Nigeria? Taribo and it's hair tails was probably the first big personalization detail of the series...

How anyone can rate a Winning Eleven previous to WE8LE as "the best ever" I have no idea. The latest version of the game has always been the best, and I don't think this will ever change.

Notty said:
Ridicoulous thread.

Best game ever? Surely WE LE.

Someday try to open a thread asking if we prefer SEGA Genesis or SONY PS2.
Damn straight.

Chris Davies said:
How anyone can rate a Winning Eleven previous to WE8LE as "the best ever" I have no idea. The latest version of the game has always been the best, and I don't think this will ever change.

A bit shortsighted my friend, but common line of thought.

For example, ask a Ferrarista if the best ferrari ever is, in his opition, the latest model? Not necessarely. It's not only about "new" it's also about relation between the product and the time it comes out.

In gaming you have other examples, pick FIFA for example. Some ppl who today hate fifa will probably say that FIFA 96 for the PC was probably the last good one, much better than every single crappy version afterwards in its time, even if much simpler.

About WE you'll find many ppl saying that they are still playing WE7Int after giving a try at WE8, WE8 LE and PES4. I tried it some days ago and I understood why.

The latest isn't necessarely the best in a lot of areas, this one too.

Mauras said:
those were the days.. almost I admit those lusowedit big 3 were a bit overrated but.. what great matches one could make with them :).

The patch that gave me most joy was Classicos WE6FE by Honome... I remember me and my friends doing a straight night without sleep just trying all the teams endlessly.. it was a joy without description.

I know a lot of ppl felt the same rush playing Classicos 2005 but as you can imagine it's tottally different once it's you behind the patch, you lack that sense of "wonder" when it comes out, although I still feel proud today about it... no match for that intro video :).

I loved that portuguese team (LusoWEdit), when I had played WE6FE with that patch I had been addicted. Great team also, Gante, you, The_Wizard and some wendetta members. The only I dislike in that patch was the chants of Benfica... only Diabos and no No Name Boys.

Diabos sucks :D

Old Gold Times... :applause:

Well, it all comes down to personal opionions, and I've seen some interesting ones. While I can truly understand your reasons Mauras, for me the best is WE8LE. I've played WE7I nad PES1 since playing LE and while I found things that are missing in this one, i think that the new one is more complete. It surely lacks the skill needed in PES1, or the overall flow of WE7I, but I think it really is the most complete.
The games that I loved to play the most and that left a big mark were:
PES1 - A true shock, different from everything on the PS2. Long learning curve, several types of passing, running and shooting, It was the one I played for more time (1 year)
WE6FE - My first patch game, and what game. Wendetta (club edition, my favorite patch ever, please bring it back), Wedoit, Lusowedit, Sologoles, Classicos. What more can I say? it was patching prime time, I don't think we have so much quality these days
WE7I - A welcome raise in quality after we7 and pes3. WeNomine Patch, with south american, asian, american, african and european teams was great, although it had some imperfections. The game itself was great, and WE8 felt like a bit of a stepback.
WE8LE - Big change from WE8. It has some new additions (like the new ball control or a slower pace, difficult crossing) and more balanced gameplay than its predecessor. The new chip shop was Konami saying: Y"eah, even a blindman can score by pressing square twice from about anywhere near the penalty area, because the goalkeeper will not even try to safe it or will hit the deck like there was no tomorrow. So... Should we fix goalkeeping? Nah, it's easier to limit the chip shot. Oh, they cannot score any more of those lovely class chips? Well, at least they won't complain it is easy anymore." The went the easy way. I miss those animations!

Last edited:
Mauras said:
Yep, ISS Pro Evolution 1 and 2 had that magic with them, unsurpasses playability although one of them had that problem of the unstopabble 1-2 (I think it was pro evo 1) and also the ferrari acelerations of Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos (which made Brazil a banned team at my place) but even this one was a fault of pro evo 1 i think, pro evo 2 solved that out I guess.

I tink Pro evo 2 was probably the best version in it's time, when compaired to today's version in their time. Simply magical...

I still remember the days when dribbling was really up to you and not button combos.. you had to have the perfect timing to swift directions and dazzle oponents, while the only real dribble in existence was the face shot (square+passing) which was very efective on the sidelines against sidebacks.

Unstopable players of those days: Davids (what a horse), Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos (could be played as striker with no problems, a fault I guess). Also remember the finess of Bergkamp or the dangerous headers of Kluivert. What about the speed of Amokachi and Babangida with Kanu delivering dangerous headers in the middle with Nigeria? Taribo and it's hair tails was probably the first big personalization detail of the series...

Always considered the 1-2 somewhat of a bug in the old psx versions. We didnt use it when playing multiplayer anyway. Despite bugs like these iss pro 2 is probably still my favourite game as well.

inter_211 said:
brunnoce said:
Yeah man i really miss those days. THe older games had the stats out of 10, 9 being maximum! ROnaldo- Owen -Sheva. WHere the best in the game. COz all of them with a speed of 9. Bergkamp and batistuta had the power man.

Yeah me too back in the Ravoldi and Larcos days. Looking back at the old games now is really weird, at the time you though those goals were so realistic and graphics were amazing! Just have a look now at what was the best game ever in the series just like brunnoce said Iss Pro 2 :

You can see Ivarov was still crap back then as well! The moments just before you await the Drumming noise of the celebration after the goal!! Just BRILLIANT!

ahaha, that brings back some good memories.
And I still remember everytime when the keeper went for a ball and didn't reach it, he would fall down like if he had died.

And some bug in WE6:FE after I installed some patch that a keeper from a russian tem was almots completely invisible, could only see the head and hands!
I still remember choosing that team just because of him, cause if my m8's would have a clear goal chance I would just press triangle and the keeper would steal the ball of the oponnent's feat. the m8:"What was that?" :lol:

I think that was the first patch that did anything more than the usual translating, so there was alot bugs in it, naturally. I honestly think we6:fe was terribly overrated though. It had an improved control system but the AI was just plain poor and alot worse than we6. Throughballs were impossible as well.

WE6FE all the way, excellent gameplay nice goals great free kicks no bs referees with few fouls. this game with we8le new players and league n others features would be even better, me n my friends we still play it, then comes my 2nd best WE5FE great memories.

Back
Top Bottom