The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360, PC) NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360)

Anyone bought this yet? Still waiting for HMV to send mine.

Our copy arrived this morning, my brother is playing it as I type this. I'm not really interested though, may give it a go, but it's not really my type of game

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
Our copy arrived this morning, my brother is playing it as I type this. I'm not really interested though, may give it a go, but it's not really my type of game

I didn't think it was my type of game until I played Elderscrolls III - BLEW me away. Forget the GTA games - you have far more free-roaming in the Elderscrolls series. Is it really the best game visually so far on the 360? I know many think it is.

Never been into these kinds of games in my life, olde-worlde RPGs with swords and warriors and all that, I'd much rather be in present day with a football, a car or a gun.

However, all I'm hearing about this game is "it's the best game in the world, ever".

Can someone who's played it and not played the previous games, and who's not played olde-worlde games, tell me if it's worth buying or not? If so, I've spent £40 on Burnout, getting ready to spend £40 on Far Cry and I'll have to rob a bank to get this one.

I think the graphics are pretty poor. Sure, the textures look nice but thats about it.

I imagine the game isn't really about the graphics though

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
I think the graphics are pretty poor. Sure, the textures look nice but thats about it.

I imagine the game isn't really about the graphics though

what???? well sell your machine because you'll never be inpressed, also ignore every review ever done:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927345.asp

16 square miles of terain with numerous cities and camps and caves etc etc.

I have not played the previous elder scrolls but would say this is the first truly stand out game for the 360, roll on halo 3!!

Oblivion was delievered this morning and all I can say is:

OH MY FUC*ING GOD! :applause: :shock: \\:o/

I have always found RPGs boring BUT THIS IS SOMETHING ELSE. To be honest I have been sick of the usual shit getting churned out (shooters, racers etc) and this is a breath of fresh air. The visuals are stunning, the sound effects are atmospheric and the gameplay just feels right.
I don't want to go on about it too much yet because I have only dabbled with the game for about an hour but I will come back on here tonight to give a small review. This is what I bought a 360 for! Also, it only cost me a tenner! \\:o/

I've done a few hours on the PC version so far, and being good too, sticking to the main quest.

The Oblivion thread in my other main forum jumped up over 30 pages in the last couple of days as people got their hands on it, raved, and then convinced others to get it - hell, they got me. This really isn't my sort of thing normally, I tried Morrowind for a bit but got bored, but this is on a new level.

Everyone gets something different from it and plays a different game essentially. The AI is outstanding and conversations often deviate between NPCs, people have their own free will and opinions and aren't always where you think they should be.

I've been reading peoples' stories of going off wandering, climbing mountains to take in the view, stumbling onto dungeons etc. Each one makes me want to play it more. It's the first game in... I can't remember how long now..... which makes me really want to get home to play it more.

Everyone should get this, I guarantee it plays differently for you than for anyone you know*.

I hope I'm still raving about this in a month's time. :)

*By this I don't mean the quests change (although there are different ways to do certain things), but the freedom and choice offered by the game is incomparable to anything so far.

Black said:
what???? well sell your machine because you'll never be inpressed, also ignore every review ever done:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/927345.asp

16 square miles of terain with numerous cities and camps and caves etc etc.

I have not played the previous elder scrolls but would say this is the first truly stand out game for the 360, roll on halo 3!!

Yeah, the landscapes look excellent etc.. but this is NOT the best looking game on the 360, far from it

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
Yeah, the landscapes look excellent etc.. but this is NOT the best looking game on the 360, far from it

Far from it? I disagree completely. Sure, there are still some low-res textures in it, but overall this game is second to none in offering such a huge worldmap AND having tons of impressive dungeons and building interiors.

I've seen them all on my HDTV, but Oblivion is the first true NextGen title to hit our planet. You really need to keep in mind what this game has to offer compared to any other title.

Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360, PC)

I HATE RPGS...

But i am in love with this game

I HATE GAMES WITH QUESTS AND "OPENENDED FREEDOM"

But I adore this game

The last game i even bothered to complete that was not a WE title was MGS3.. I am so amazed by the scope and alternative reality in this.
Graphics in my opinion are awesome and the sound and ambience is unbeliveable.

I can't stress enough to people who dont like this kind of game to give it a go, get out of the first dungeon and into the real world and you will be outstanded by it.

I'm playing a naughty character at the moment, and i dont want to put in any spoilers of what happens in certain places but I got sent to jail for stealing.... man its so good i rang my brother and spoke to him for ten minutes about my character. When i escaped from some guards after breaking into their barracks.. to get rid of them i ended up jumping into a river to shake them off and finding an Inn with all mad people in their!

Its as good as you imagine it to be... Its what Fable should have been but failed to deliver on... which is a game i played for 15 mins but really dissapointed mid way thru

You feel like william wallace going around the forests and meeting people on the way.

on HDTV this game looks brilliant.. there may be a few dodgy lo fi texturesin places but its truly awesome

Give it 15 mins I am sure you will not be dissappointed!

Sequine! My Brother!

Running thru the rain (not impressive GFX wise but the sound is really calmin) and found a farm...

I love this game

To all Evo Webbers: Forgot the same old shooters you play year-in, year-out: GET THIS GAME. It is INCREDIBLE.

I spent 5 hours straight on it last night and it felt like 30 mins - I can't remember the last time a game fu**ed my bum as good as this! I only bought GRAW last week, too - that will be gathering dust I feel!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
So now I need to buy this too? It sounds like I must.

i didn't go bed to 4:30 last night becasue i had a day off.. and i just played this game and was gutted it wasn't 1am so i could play some more.

yeah.. I never played GRAW as i wasn't much for it and i fooked it off when i got this

I would you will get much more out of it... just get past the first dungeon :D and you will be hooked

Time really does fly when you're playing this game. I've played it for a few hours now and I just realised that I haven't actually done anything in the game yet. It just feels really great to travel around and take everything in.

What a game, it's top banana.

I haven't actually bothered with the main quest yet, too busy doing the side challenges and building up my character.

Great the way the people react, I accidently let of a fireball in the fighters guide the other day and hit someone, all the hards started chasing me around town, I was running through houses and back yards trying to loose them, I finally lost them by accidently running into the guards barracks, at which point I was promptly arrested, went to jail and for some strange reason, the hards are just bit gruff with me when I go in for a chat.

Quality!

Damn you all for tempting me to buy this game!!!! ;)

If I trade PDZ:CE in at Game, do you get cash or in store credit?

Last edited:

You can get either, but you would get more Store Credit, just put it on one of there gift cards and save up for it then mate.

A small review:

Played it for 10 hours now. Firstly, I am a FPS fan - so the fighting in this impressed me. I also like the way you can change perspectives by clicking the right-stick (first person/third person). The A.I. is superb (characters in the game remember if you have robbed/attacked them or been nice to them). The story is REALLY good - It's like watching 'Lord Of The Rings' or something. The graphics some of the best I have EVER seen on any console - the maps are HUGE. The sound is superb - the music and speech is SPOT-ON. Every character 'mouthes' what he/she is saying. It plays like a dream - it isn't clunky at all and the menus are easy to navigate using the L/R buttons.

Like I said before, even if you hate RPGs, check this out - it is a gem of a title and really shows that the 360 means business.

Sold PDZ for £25 - ordered Oblivion for £35. £10 for Oblivion...that will do me nicely.

Good score my friend!

After 3 days of solid playing, i have finally managed to get myself back on the main quest. Bringing up the atmosphere again its like a mix of Lord of the rings and Braveheart... 2 of my personal fave films :D

I am a RPG hater.... but a Oblivion lover, doesn't make sense really!

mattpj said:
:D

I am a RPG hater.... but a Oblivion lover, doesn't make sense really!

EXACTLY the same here!

Lemon Jelly - I paid £10 too! Saved my HMV points from when I bought two 360s for Oblivion - worth the wait!

Jack Bauer = the loneliest man in the world right now.

I think it's boring, complicated and I'm very glad I got to try it before buying it over Burnout Revenge, which I can't tear myself away from, especially online (keeping a tab on your "enemies", absolutely spectacular). Me no likey. :|

Sorry lads, just don't get the appeal at all... Kit the guy out in 21st century gear (or at least give him a gun) and I'd be all for it, I'm sure being able to do what you want is endless fun. But with a sword and magic spells and "fiddle-me-dee"... Just can't get into it.

(Someone in the XBOX 360-owning population come and back me up for Christ's sake!!)

I bought it, but will be leaving it back very soon and saving my money for either battlefield, top spin or far cry. Dont get me wrong, its good but it just didnt take me in THAT much. Maybe if I spent more time at it I might be sucked in completely, but unfortunatelly I dont have that much time in my life. I dont really have a spare 200 hrs, I would rather at least split that time across a couple of different games. I see the appeal, but its just not for me. Despite what others have said, I think fight night has better graphics than this, it has a somewhat cartoony feel to it.

Fight Night undoubtedly has better grpahics.... for sports sim, just gotta consider the amount of detail in the world and what not. Perhaps on a par IN RESPECT OF THE GENRES

My friend played it,like me, he had trouble with the gate of oblivion but once you walk around and level up your character you get into the aspect of the world i find. IF i hadn't of done that.. i would have been taking it back for Burnout Revenge myself!

Last edited:

Due to the scaling nature of the game though, levelling up for the most part just isn't necessary. I like this because games revolving around 'power-levelling' for me are dull and repetitive.

For me I'm still taken aback by the way the Radiant AI adapts and the game changes. An example from last night:

Someone comes up to me and asks me to meet him behind the chapel at midnight. I was expecting a robbery or some dry bumming, but I went anyway. During that day I had guards find me specifically and ask me about him, and if he acts weird to report him to them... hmm, crisis of concience. I meet him that night and he tells me never to speak to him in public, and to hide near his house at 6am to follow the person who follows him. Sure enough, someone starts following. I sneak about in the shadows tracking her, follow her to her work in the field and wait, hidden in the long grass.

All of a sudden my darkened sneak-meter lights up - someone's seen me! Turns out a contact I had in the Imperial city walked 20 minutes across the map and found me, and completely blew my cover. He's asking me to follow him back there now as part of another quest. I don't know if she cottoned on to me, what the hell's going on with her following the other guy, or who to trust.

Great stuff!

If you give the game an hour or two, do the first Oblivion gate and get into the story a little, it's enormously rewarding. It's very easy to get sucked in.

Back
Top Bottom