The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360, PC) NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360, PC)

Fight Night - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Burnout - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It's all been done before. Each to their own though! :-)

Babs - I know the part you are on about - I wanted to follow the women he is on about but she didn't leave the front of her house.

Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360, PC)

^ that's a great bit of the game, keep yourself hidden, you can try following them another day - it get's worse too...

I've just restarted, wasn't happy with my character, so have opted for a lion thing battlemage, which is ace.

Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360, PC) Don't post spoilers!

Forgot to mention before - keep this thread spoler-free guys! :)

Anyone stayed at the 'Bloated Tavern' (the pub on a ship) yet? Did you stay there? I was quite suprised when I awoke! A nice touch.

Bloated float was a good suprise

That bloke you meet behind chapel at midnight is a nutter, I told him 2 people were following him, so he gives me a note telling me to kill em and he will reward me. I decided to show the note to a guard and grass him up. The guard runs behind chapel and kills the nutter, I take his keys(from his corpse) and steal everything from his house some funny shit

Wonder if you guys can tell me if this game is really THAT good...I remember trying out Morrowind a few years back and although the concept seamed pretty interesting, the gameplay and first game steps didn't match the expectations. I suppose Oblivion is much better not just visually...

Last edited by a moderator:

Okay, I take it back, and I'm not an easy man to please.

Call of Duty 2 was finished and waiting to be swapped - I wanted Far Cry for the 360, but Oblivion was available pre-owned for £10 cheaper. So I thought "sod it", bought it, and I've just spent the last three hours on it, not able to tear myself away from it.

Thinking about it, it's totally different from any of the other games I've got, which is always good. Far Cry and Battlefield 2 MC wouldn't beat Ghost Recon, so I'm very happy with my choice.

(Especially since when I first tried the game I thought it was awful...)

How do i get the bloody guards to stop chasing me? I stole a horse without one of them looking, and now theyre all after me!

Milanista said:
How do i get the bloody guards to stop chasing me? I stole a horse without one of them looking, and now theyre all after me!

jus go to jail or pay the fine

how long do i have to stay in jail for? and do i get to keep my stuff?

Milanista said:
how long do i have to stay in jail for? and do i get to keep my stuff?

not long your out in 20 secs.. stolen stuff is took off ya but ya can thief it back from chests in the prison:lol:

Played Oblivion for 3.5 hours last night and it is stunning, so glad I got rid of PDZ for this. The "training" level was very well done and got you used to all the controls and menus etc etc.

When I finally exited the first area and saw the world for the first time it was amazing. It was the middle of the night, so it wasn't what I expected from that point of view, I presumed it would be daytime. I just wandered around that tiny area for about 15 mins kinda not knowing what to do. Then I headed off to the main town area (can't remember the name).

I decided to an Imperial, Battlemage with the birth sign of Mage. I will wait to see if that was the right choice.

I haven't even reached my first quest area yet, I keep getting distracted by things to do. What impresses me the most is how solid the world looks, everything is how you would expect it to be.

All in all very impressed.

I knew you guys would love this! :-)

Soundtracker said:
Wonder if you guys can tell me if this game is really THAT good...I remember trying out Morrowind a few years back and although the concept seamed pretty interesting, the gameplay and first game steps didn't match the expectations. I suppose Oblivion is much better not just visually...
I hated Morrowind with a passion. I loved the concept, I tried very hard to get into the game, but alas the game just couldn't reach the addictiveness or the level of depth inherent in other more traditional, RPGs like Fallout or Baldurs Gate. Morrowind felt hollow and pointless and I couldn't understand any of the praise.

Oblivion on the otherhand is a game I just can't pull myself away from. Trust me; I was setting myself up for disappointment (as my initial post in this thread will show ;)) but after buying the game and playing it non-stop I am sucked in compeltely. Few games manage this level of adictiveness for me and none in 3D for a long, long time.

Words of caution; it's not a revolution at all. It's not next generation and it's not really got amazing gameplay. Graphics are sketchy at times but for the most part it is truly amazing I admit (especially considering it's scope) - for example you travel to Bruma or Skingrad and look to the horizon and you will see the places you just travelled from, it creates a sense of atmosphere and reality like no other. The gameplay, the quests (etc) are not approaching the quality of the ones in the traditional RPGs unfortunately and it lacks the fidelity of them forcing you to play a certain way and giving you few options. The enviroment is a little bleh as well. For example you can go for a nice stroll and you'll see a wolf sat in the middle of a well trodden path or an imp flying by. It's just jarring. You should have to go looking for these creatures, theys shouldn't be waiting to break the atmosphere by sitting on paths.

Despite this it's postively brilliant and you should try it at the very least. If you are disappointed I won't understand at all.

Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360, PC) NO SPOLIERS PLEASE!

About to start this on PC, should be class.[/positive thinking]

See there's a downloadable horse armour on XBL for it, costs a quid or something. The price has nothing to do with my moaning about this, it could cost £10 and I'd not be any more annoyed. It is getting to ridiculous stages now, what's next? In the new Pro Evo, they'll release an update that gives you a couple of new ball skins or 2 new boot types, but they cost a pound each? Or in the next Streetfighter game you can buy the 'Dragon Punch II' to add to your moveset for Ryu and Ken?

I know it's cheap, but it's the fact they charge money for these things which drives me up the wall. PC gamers have had access to updates to their games with far more exciting features than a simple horse armour, for years, and for no cost.

It's your cash and who am I to tell you what to spend it on, but first wee pictures and now bits of games - when you buy these all you do is encourage them to charge for more and more things in the future. I can maybe bite the bullet for more substantial addons, for example if PGR3 has a new city and about 6 cars for a fiver, but even then I'm absolutely loath to pay out given extended support without charge from developers after release is pretty much the norm for a lot of franchises. God, if Epic had charged for every little Unreal Tournament addon they'd given us it'd have probably cost you over a ton to get them all!

I've went off on one here, sorry. It's just a bug-bear I have and I know no one is forcing me to buy it, so what's the problem? My problem is the more people who do buy it, the more of this we're going to have in the future. I remember a time when you handed over your cash and got a game, now you hand over your cash and they give you 75% of a game and you need to pay out for the other quarter, which they drip out in bits. Given the price of 360 games, I think that's shocking.

Hope this game's not pish, btw ;)

Last edited:

cigol said:
It's not next generation and it's not really got amazing gameplay.

I couldn't disagree with that statement, especially the not next gen part! I don't know what does define next gen if this misses the mark?? Maybe you could explain.

This is essentially a refined and better looking Morrowind. Considering the age of that game and the similarities in this the next generation tag is not allowable as far as I'm concerned. the Next-Gen monikor should only be applied to something truly making a huge step. Oblivion for all it's brilliance is more of a reworking of an existing game.

Perhaps it's a different experience playing it on the XBox but for PC users this isn't anything 'next-gen'.

See there's a downloadable horse armour on XBL for it, costs a quid or something.
The major problem I have with this downloadable content is that it was held back for release specifically as an extra. There are screenshots with horse armour present long before the game was released.

Oh and as for not really amazing gameplay, that's wrong. I didn't mean that. What I meant was that the gameplay is not next-generation either. In fact I think it is poorer than that of traditional RPGs in the main. Specifically I'm talking about NPC interaction and much - though perhaps not all (as I've not played all ;)) - of the quests.

I'm simply saying believe the hype in terms of level of enjoyment but don't believe the hype as far as a revolution in gaming terms goes. People aregetting carried away with the praise.

A console game hasn't impressed me like this for a long time - I know PCs have had titles like this over the years but I simply CAN'T play games on the PC. I like my widescreen TV with surround sound, crashing on the sofa with a few beers, a bowl of crisps and picking up the cordless controller - thats the type of gamer I am - I mainly use my PC for music not gaming. So it is a revelation having a title like this - It's great to see it on the Xbox, too - I hope there will be more titles that are non-linear in the future: I couldn't handle 'Tom Clancy this' and 'Tom Clancy that': Oblivion shows that there is more to gaming.

As for Classic D's point; I couldn't agree more. Most people have paid £40-50 for this title and charging customers a £1 a time for updates like armour for horses is scandalous - we have paid our membership fees and have paid for our consoles NOW GIVE US MORE!

The things you enjoy about your console are simply conveniences which can be had better on your PC. I have a better quality screen, sound system, cordless controllers (Keyboard, Mouse and if I wanted one joystick/joypad). I use my PC for everything from TV, video, games, music (etc). Not saying you're 'wrong' or anything just that you could have everything you wanted with a PC. The XBox is just a more expensive convenience (relatively speaking).

Also, I am enjoying hundreds of free mods for Oblivion already and some of them are already very important, graphically and gameplay wise.

Check out this for example:

This is what it looks like for PC users on default: http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a70dfd1864.jpg

This is what it looks like after applying a free modification on the internet (and this can be updated even further to add higher resolution textures with much more precise and interesting detail. As it stands it's just a quick fix!): http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a19c8d2f1a.jpg

Having said that I take the point that this is going to feel more different for console gamers. I can't imagine what it might be like exactly but there will be a difference I'm sure.

I personally don't find it open ended enough in regards to the quests. I mean does anybody remember playing games like Fallout and being able to decide how to approach conversations (etc) and decide how to go about the quest? For example you could sweet talk your way out or into a fight, cheat people out of treasure and all the rest of it. In Oblivion it's very straightforward and you lack choices.

But like I said, it's still a class game despite my own reservations.

Still playing this game, still loving it. I think of playing GRAW or PGR3 and then think "Nah!". This game is so involving - really neat touches in the game, too. Can't stop singing it's praises.

Question - do you ever learn new spells or do you have to buy them all?

I don't do mage things but I know I've learnt a couple of spells along the way. I don't use them or the scrolls at all though :D

I played some more Oblivion last night, about 2.5 hours worth. The game continues to impress me. I finally got myself a horse so that made travelling a little easier (yeah I know I can fast travel but I don't want to yet). I completed a couple of quests so I am started to get into the swing of getting things done. I also joined the Mages Guild. I thought it was great that the quest had 2 possible ways of completing it, I would love to know what would have happen if I had decided to finish it the other way.

I also love the way all the towns are all different in look and feel, it adds to the game immensly.

Everything seems so perfect but the little things niggle me (sad as I am) - such as...
The guy who asks you to report on whoever's following him attacks me after I tell him he's just paranoid. I run to the guards, not wanting to get into trouble for killing anyone (despite the fact my girlfriend begging me to kill him and live in his house). The guards kill him, and that's that. Then I click the guard to thank him for helping me out, and he says "he turned up dead, someone must have got fed up of his ranting" or whatever. Um... Been drinking too much of the short memory potion?

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but currently Burnout Revenge's SUPERB online mode, and Guitar Hero (on the PS2 for God's sake), are my favourites. I agree with Cigol's comment about the game getting a wee bit too much praise. It's fantastic, but I wouldn't class it as next-gen.

Back
Top Bottom