The England Topic

B

Boro

I was gonna start a new thread bout Englands new injury worries but i decided to make this instead. Shove anything in here thats England related. Injurys, team selection, tactics, predictions whatever as long as its England related.

To get the ball rolling, wot a start. Murphy and Cole injured too. Murphy could be out, Cole has a good chance of being ready again next week. What a midfield crisis we have.
Beckham - Out but chance of being fit for Sweden
Butt - Out but could be training next week
Dyer - Out and best chance is probs Argentina
Murphy - Doubtful, needs a scan
Sinclair - On standby but will be jet lagged. Dont rate him anyway.
There we go then.

Sven has put the whole England U21 side on standby in case we get any more injuries. It seems the longer we are out there the more of the team seem to end up injured :confused:

I saw a couple of the U-21 games.

I hope Alan Smith does not get called up if there are more injuries.  His 'petulant streak' was very much in evidence in the games I saw.

Riggot was made to look a fool against Italy.

Crouch, Defoe and Pennant looked decent though.

Smithy got Man of the Match for all 3 of Englands U21 games. His attitude is improving with every game he has at whatever level. I seem to remember he was one of the lads trying to calm down a situation in the first match after the sending off of that foreign fella

The Danny Murphy thing on Sky Sports is irritating me :mad: they keep goin on about it. He hasnt had the bone scan - they dont know the extent on the injury - they have no details - he mite not even be out of the cup so stop with the hype! They can hype about it tommorra AFTER the scan.
(Good luck Danny btw)

I think they should call up Alan Smith he gives 110% and most of the opponents will get ###### off with him thus taking them off there game

Riggott had a bad game thats all or bad tornament,  he does the business for Derby week in week out.  And he will be snapped up by someone soon

Wahoo. More great news. Danny Murphy is now officially OUT. Fractured Metatarsal (or however you spell it), yes the same as beckham had and butt. How should replace him though? Dunn or Sinclair?
In other news, Fowler and Butt trained with the squad, J Cole limped abit damnit, while A Cole, Becks and Dyer did gym work.

How come we go for years without ever hearing the word "metatarsal" and all of a sudden 3 england players break the bloody things?! Maybe it's a conspiracy and Sven's assistant Tord Grip has been sneaking metatarsal weakening supplements into the England players food. You never know....

I seen that England U21 game against Italy and Alan Smith was acting like a ####ing 'ANIMAL' I just can't beleive he didn't get sent off. :confused:

Danny Mills is a thug and a football player.

Alan Smith is a thug and a GOOD football player. He was great against Italy, he got his yellow for a bad tackle but all the other tackles were perfectly ok (well most). Maybe it was because of his hair that you noticed him all obver the place?

i think the only two big blows for england are gerrard and beckhams injury....

i never really rated danny murphy... he's tidy, but doesn't do anything to spice the game up....

i dont really care for gary neville, i don't think england have any good right sided defenders.

as for sinclair, he should go back to queens park rangers.

and nicky butt? tidy.. but once again doesnt do much

the way i see things, englands should put on the players who will at least make england good to watch in the tornament, they will get knocked out at some stage anyway, so might as well go with their heads held high...

my formation would be...

seaman

mills (no other choice)  ferdinand  campbell  ashley cole

beckham  hargreaves  scholes  joe cole/dyer

vassell  owen

that means hesky can feck off, coz i hate him.. he is so boring, yes blah blah, he has strength, then he can go do something like defending or boxing even. but 3 goals in 24 games is NOT a record to be proud of. vassel at least has some flair.

Not a bad team you've got there Nike.

With the players available, I'd like to see:

Seaman

Campbell  Ferdinand  Southgate

Dyer     Beckham   Hargreaves  Scholes   Ashley Cole

Owen    Heskey

OK - so it's never going to happen but I always feel England look more secure in a 3-5-2.

Wrighty - I saw that Smith got the MOM votes.  Fine, he was very commited.  But there's not much point in being committed if you're in the showers before everyone else.  With England a goal down in the Portugal game he committed a ridiculous foul for which he was lucky not to get sent off.  The man is a liability in my opinion.  Keep him away.

Beckham = [b:post_uid0]FIT[/b:post_uid0]
Dyer = [b:post_uid0]FIT[/b:post_uid0]
Everybody else = [b:post_uid0]FIT[/b:post_uid0]

Wahoo! It looks like the entire England squad is fit. It was on Sky Sports World Cup update (how cool is the new look! ) that everybody did a full training session. That is great news that! I didnt think Dyer would make it but he has - as far as we know.
Even Better Mr. Freddie Ljungberg has a hip problem and mite miss the opening game. :D :D :D

I am soooo glad Alan Smith got nowhere near the team.

I think he's a petulant little tool.

One day some big f**ker is going to turn around smack the little fool into next week.  :)

Thought I would revive this baby!!

it seems that Tord Grip and Sven see Chris Sutton's role for England as a Defensive midfielder

Tord Grip has hinted that Celtic ace Chris Sutton could have a role to play for England as a defensive midfielder.
Sutton has occupied a number of positions throughout his career, but is best known as a centre forward.

His goals helped Blackburn to Premiership glory and he has been a consistent scorer in The SPL for Celtic.

Sutton, though, has been deployed in midfield by Bhoys boss Martin O'Neill on a regular basis and Grip feels that is his best position.

"We know Chris Sutton can play," said Grip. "I saw him several times at Blackburn where he played up front, sometimes he went back to centre back and now he is playing in midfield.

"He can play in an offensive role but I think the best role for him would be in a defensive role in central midfield because he was very good there, especially in the second half on Saturday (against Rangers)."

England chief Sven Goran Eriksson has a plethora of attacking talent in midfield but there could well be a place for Sutton to claim if he decides to look to continue his career in a more defensive role.

There could well be other Celtic options on show at Euro 2004, as Grip has confirmed Eriksson is still considering the qualities of Alan Thompson.

Eriksson is still seeking stability on the left-hand side of midfield and Thompson's fine form could see him stake a claim for inclusion in the summer spectacular.

"Sven has been very impressed with them both (Sutton and Thompson)," Eriksson's number two Grip said. "They have done very well in Europe because they were in the Uefa Cup final last season and again this season so they can play at the top.

"Sven's likely to look at different players and I think we will do that because we know what we have got so far."

I havent seen much of Sutton in Midfield but surley Nicky Butt ,Steven Gerrard and Dare I say it Phill neville are better? What do the Celtic fans think?

Thompson on the left, I can see that cos england lack in that area.

But Sutton in the midfield, surely not, theres an abundance of top class talent in the midfield already.

If he can play in midfield he must be one of the most versatile players ever, ive already seen him play CF & CB.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Thompson on the left, I can see that cos england lack in that area.

But Sutton in the midfield, surely not, theres an abundance of top class talent in the midfield already.

If he can play in midfield he must be one of the most versatile players ever, ive already seen him play CF & CB.

I agree with the Thompson thing, he should at least get a chance in one of Svens 45 min teams

:mrgreen:

I really hope England do play Sutton in the midfield, but it must be a joke surely. :mrgreen:

If they should play Sutton it should be up front, nowhere else, but with the Owen and Rooney up front he won't get in, he would be a good alternative though as he is far more street-wise than Heskey who really is just another runner. He would be a great partner up front for any of them.

Thompson on the left midfield shouldn't even need discussed, even though he plays in a fairly poor league he still is England's best left sided player and still gets overlooked.

FD

The answer to Englands left side midfield problems (when he's ready) - Stewart Downing. Hot prospect for the English game this lad.

James

Neville Campbell Terry A.Cole

Beckham J.Cole
Gerard Scholes

Owen Rooney

Kirkland
Neville Campbell Southgate A.Cole
Beckham Gerrard Scholes Downing
Owen Beattie

Thats what id play in the future

I was thinking of England tactics the other day and came up with this system...

James/Whoever

Neville, Campbell, Terry, Cole

Beckham Lampard Gerrard

Scholes Dyer
Owen

I think that would work. It'd put Scholes in his best position and I think him and Dyer together could cause a lot of problems. I think we'd still be alright defensively as Beckham, Lampard and Gerrard are all capable of putting their foot in.

Quite an interesting system that hutch, might work too, altho id probably switch Gerrard and Lampard around. Sadly i dont think Sven ill ever try it since it doesnt include Heskey

hutch said:
I was thinking of England tactics the other day and came up with this system...

James/Whoever

Neville, Campbell, Terry, Cole

Beckham Lampard Gerrard

Scholes Dyer
Owen
David James;
Gary Neville, Sol Campbell, Rio Ferdinand (Terry), Ashley Cole;
David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes;
James Beattie, Michael Owen.

--------------James
-Neville--Terry Campbell Bridge

------------Butt/P.Neville

---Beckham---------------Lampard
---------Dyer----- J.Cole

--------------Owen

CPT said:
--------------James
-Neville--Terry Campbell Bridge

------------Butt/P.Neville

---Beckham---------------Lampard
---------Dyer----- J.Cole

--------------Owen
woah, owen by himself, too risky, sven goren is already working on a 3 man rotation at the front, personally wouldnt have butt AND neville playing... just fallen out of favour really. and lampard on the wing? hello!??

-azn

heres my lineup anyway:

--------------Kirkland/James
neville--campbell--ferdy/terry--cole
------------------------------------------
bex------------stevie g----------dyer
-----------------ginger----------------
-------beats----------------------------
---------------------owen--------------

-azn

Back
Top Bottom