The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

The invincibles had Campbell, Viera and others, who also had the cynical edge...after Viera, i haven't seen that kind of player at Arsenal.

In my opinion, Imbula is the only one that could achieve that Viera style nowadays.
Under Bielsa he's doing really good, I really hope he fulfills his potential.

I completely agree with the above mentioned article. I've been saying this for years.
The traditional big clubs created some sort of Frankenstein football hierarchy. Now a club like Liverpool (or Spurs) has become the victim of what it created itself.

I would really like @superleeds1 's input about what went down during the weekend with the team he supports.
More specifically, with what Bielsa ordered his players to do.

Here, in Argentina, it's all they've been talking about since it happened (yeah I know, like we didn't have bigger fish to fry...).

@Chuny I believe that Aston Villa put the ball out when on the attack just before this when a Leeds Utd player was injured which exacerbated things when Leeds didn't do the same, despite sort of stopping and seeming like they were going to put the ball out, then played a through ball to a player in the clear out wide. You could lip read Bielsa telling his team afterwards to "give them a goal" on the video.

I think it was the right thing to do given the circumstances although it wasn't a head injury so it's one of those grey areas where it's supposed to officially be up to the ref to stop the game, but generally the ball is put out here. I think it was the fact Leeds looked like they were going to put it out but then suddenly played on when the Villa players had pretty much stopped that caused the furore.

God knows what would have happened if that Leeds player had tackled the Villa man when they were going upfield to score. He was having none of it :LOL:

I would really like @superleeds1 's input about what went down during the weekend with the team he supports.
More specifically, with what Bielsa ordered his players to do.

Here, in Argentina, it's all they've been talking about since it happened (yeah I know, like we didn't have bigger fish to fry...).

Hey Sorry I missed this Chuny, can't be everywhere all the time.

My thoughts? Simple football rule, every player should abide totally by it. PLAY TO THE WHISTLE.

The ref didn't call it,so Leeds players were correct to continue and Villa were way out of order.
Yes Bielsa got it wrong in My opinion, and probably doubled his respect level in the process.

Was the ref wrong? Probably.

I'm quite glad that light has been shed on the matter. It may encourage all teams - managers and players - to agree that it's the ref's decision and the ref's decision only.

The irony that players so often stick to this 'sporting' code when the opponents are unsportsmanlike by feigning injury. Remove the dubiety and leave it to the officials.

Aberdeen have made a recent habit of playing on when opponents kick the ball out of play for a teammate to receive treatment towards the end of the game. Personally I love the seethe from the opposing players and fans.

Hey Sorry I missed this Chuny, can't be everywhere all the time.

My thoughts? Simple football rule, every player should abide totally by it. PLAY TO THE WHISTLE.

The ref didn't call it,so Leeds players were correct to continue and Villa were way out of order.
Yes Bielsa got it wrong in My opinion, and probably doubled his respect level in the process.

Was the ref wrong? Probably.

How did it make you feel as a fan in that precise moment? Did it make you angry, did you hate Bielsa, or did you think the same way as you think now?.
You weren't at the Stadium that day, were you?.

And just for the record, I agree with you. It's the ref's job, not Bielsa's nor the players to stop the match.

How did it make you feel as a fan in that precise moment? Did it make you angry, did you hate Bielsa, or did you think the same way as you think now?.
You weren't at the Stadium that day, were you?.

And just for the record, I agree with you. It's the ref's job, not Bielsa's nor the players to stop the match.

Bielsa is adored,we stand or fall with him, I took it on the chin unlike Pontus who could not cope with it!
I wasn't at the match, but was there last week for the U23' PDL2 play off final which we won, 7900 fans for an under 23 game tells its own story.

EDIT....footnote to this story, prior to earlier kick off V Derby,Bielsa told the ref that he had instructed the players to play on in the event of supposed injury, and the call for stopping was for the ref to make.

Last edited:
The thing is that the Leeds player who was on the ball near the side line made a move like he was gonna put the ball out of play,and then suddenly continued to play and passed the ball and this lead to the goal.
That was the main reason that it was so controversial.If he didn't make that move like he's about to kick the ball out of play,then Villa players wouldn't stop and probably it wouldn't lead to a goal.
It was clearly a cheaty move and especially because some minutes ago Villa players respected the fair play and put the ball out.Bielsa's reaction was correct in my opinion because he saw that cheaty move of his player and bravo to him for the courage to order his team to give a goal back.You won't see that from many managers.

Eversince this happened I've been wondering if Bielsa would have done the same in a World Cup final kind of scenario...

I think it's one think to play nice and act like you have some sort of superior code of Ethics when there's nothing really super big at stake. But when push comes to shove, things may play differently.

Eversince this happened I've been wondering if Bielsa would have done the same in a World Cup final kind of scenario...

I think it's one think to play nice and act like you have some sort of superior code of Ethics when there's nothing really super big at stake. But when push comes to shove, things may play differently.
But i think that was a big match and could probably decide who will go to the Premier League for next season wasn't it?
Maybe i'm wrong cause i don't follow Premiership much,but i think when i saw the highlights i read that it was an important match,so what Bielsa did had a serious risk and wasn't just a routine match.

But i think that was a big match and could probably decide who will go to the Premier League for next season wasn't it?
Maybe i'm wrong cause i don't follow Premiership much,but i think when i saw the highlights i read that it was an important match,so what Bielsa did had a serious risk and wasn't just a routine match.

No, Leeds were out of the promotion zone by that game. They had the chance qualify for the play-offs.

Didn't want to post this in the demo thread as it's well OT, but @rockstrongo, after seeing you're a Hammarby fan - could there be any truth in Celtic's claims that your fans were behind the trouble tonight?
Hey pal,absolutely not.
for a few reasons
1 Hk one of our organised groups has ties with Celtic
2 The troubles on the stands were kicked of by security guards,pretty much loyal aik scums-
3 any trouble from our side tonight would obviusly be tw aik,our fierced rivals

The ties we have with Celtic are very unofficial though since it's not sanctioned by all other groups
The political side of aik ultras and firm are very strongly right winged,in contrary to Celtics more left wing groups.
Wouldn't take the claims from "Celtic" as claims from Celtic tbh

scandalous scenes from the security tonight,wish all celtic a safe trip home from that shit ground

Hey pal,absolutely not.
for a few reasons
1 Hk one of our organised groups has ties with Celtic
2 The troubles on the stands were kicked of by security guards,pretty much loyal aik scums-
3 any trouble from our side tonight would obviusly be tw aik,our fierced rivals

The ties we have with Celtic are very unofficial though since it's not sanctioned by all other groups
The political side of aik ultras and firm are very strongly right winged,in contrary to Celtics more left wing groups.
Wouldn't take the claims from "Celtic" as claims from Celtic tbh

scandalous scenes from the security tonight,wish all celtic a safe trip home from that shit ground

A Celtic spokesperson said: ”We are aware that a number of Swedish supporters entered the area for visiting fans and we are currently investigating events.

“It was clear many Hammarby fans were in the Celtic sections and this was raised by Celtic officials before the match.

“A lot of Swedish fans managed to infiltrate the away section which we believe was a major factor in the issues which arose, there was a lack of control at the access points to the Celtic section.”

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out after the Rangers punishments.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how it all pans out after the Rangers punishments.
Sounds like a strange statement ,not going to say he's not telling the truth,but unless Celtic has very strong ties with us (which they don't) how could we infiltrate them without getting knocked out by Celtic,or we do have strong ties (which we don't) then Celtic should be to blame anyway?

Anyway,the ones to blame are the security,they got very heavy handed up there,and if I were to speak for Celtic,as a Celtic official,I'd take my own fans side first,not the scum security.

The Rangers punishment?
Is that Vs Krakow?
Sorry warshawa

Last edited:
Sounds like a strange statement ,not going to say he's not telling the truth,but unless Celtic has very strong ties with us (which they don't) how could we infiltrate them without getting knocked out by Celtic,or we do have strong ties (which we don't) then Celtic should be to blame anyway?

Anyway,the ones to blame are the security,they got very heavy handed up there,and if I were to speak for Celtic,as a Celtic official,I'd take my own fans side first,not the scum security.

The Rangers punishment?
Is that Vs Krakow?
Sorry warshawa

It's a very bold move, to blame other fans. Guys with their faces obscured and balaclavas on, I notice. Something to hide.

_108547645_19241284.jpg

Rangers 1: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49449628

Rangers 2: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49503683

Scottish football - namely the relationship between Celtic, Rangers, the rest and reality - is complex. Rangers' punishment has led to questions why Celtic and their fans' myriad indiscretions have never led to such sanction as stadium closure etc. Their scrap with police in Sweden tonight is only going to make those calls stronger.

It's a very bold move, to blame other fans. Guys with their faces obscured and balaclavas on, I notice. Something to hide.

_108547645_19241284.jpg

Rangers 1: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49449628

Rangers 2: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49503683

Scottish football - namely the relationship between Celtic, Rangers, the rest and reality - is complex. Rangers' punishment has led to questions why Celtic and their fans' myriad indiscretions have never led to such sanction as stadium closure etc. Their scrap with police in Sweden tonight is only going to make those calls stronger.
Yes,i Hope were not involved in this,they should review the securities behaviour first off all,was an incident in aiks last euro game as well, Maribor I think.
What I've heard is that they attacked supporters first and then they responded back.
That's how the policing looks here at football games.
We got a derby coming up Vs them soon,will probably be a messy affair.
I heard all about Rangers being pissed off at Celtic,or how they think/know how the uefa treats them Vs Celtic,banning etc.
I have a lot of mates that are Rangers and I've my sympathy amongst them (hope you're ok with that in case you're Celtic yourself)
A messy night,but I'm quite sure we're not involved,security should be scrutinized.

I'd think for us to "infiltrate" a stand is pretty ridiculous,if someone tried that at us,that wouldn't end well.
Could it be a tie in the EL between Rangers and Celtic you think?

Yes,i Hope were not involved in this,they should review the securities behaviour first off all,was an incident in aiks last euro game as well, Maribor I think.
What I've heard is that they attacked supporters first and then they responded back.
That's how the policing looks here at football games.
We got a derby coming up Vs them soon,will probably be a messy affair.
I heard all about Rangers being pissed off at Celtic,or how they think/know how the uefa treats them Vs Celtic,banning etc.
I have a lot of mates that are Rangers and I've my sympathy amongst them (hope you're ok with that in case you're Celtic yourself)
A messy night,but I'm quite sure we're not involved,security should be scrutinized.

I'd think for us to "infiltrate" a stand is pretty ridiculous,if someone tried that at us,that wouldn't end well.

I'm an Aberdeen fan who dislikes both Celtic and Rangers. A lot. But I consider myself a rational person! With that, I can see the sense of injustice that Rangers fans perceive. But all too often it's used to defend their own actions and deflect attention. 'Never mind us, what about the other lot?'

I believe a punishment for Rangers was long overdue, but the Scottish authorities are unable to impose such penalties under the current system and will be petrified of meaningful change of that system because it means taking action against Rangers and Celtic and opening themselves up to (further) accusations of bias. But UEFA has shown the way. For reference, very generally speaking, Rangers fans believe the Scottish authorities are against them, Celtic believe the Scottish authorities are against them, and fans of other clubs believe that the Scottish authorities have favoured Celtic and Rangers since the dawn of time! But it seems that Celtic are long overdue a more severe punishment. I don't think UEFA has fined any team more than Celtic. But that's it - fines. Nothing else.

Could it be a tie in the EL between Rangers and Celtic you think?

I'm afraid I don't quite follow?

I'm an Aberdeen fan who dislikes both Celtic and Rangers. A lot. But I consider myself a rational person! With that, I can see the sense of injustice that Rangers fans perceive. But all too often it's used to defend their own actions and deflect attention. 'Never mind us, what about the other lot?'

I believe a punishment for Rangers was long overdue, but the Scottish authorities are unable to impose such penalties under the current system and will be petrified of meaningful change of that system because it means taking action against Rangers and Celtic and opening themselves up to (further) accusations of bias. But UEFA has shown the way. For reference, very generally speaking, Rangers fans believe the Scottish authorities are against them, Celtic believe the Scottish authorities are against them, and fans of other clubs believe that the Scottish authorities have favoured Celtic and Rangers since the dawn of time! But it seems that Celtic are long overdue a more severe punishment. I don't think UEFA has fined any team more than Celtic. But that's it - fines. Nothing else.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow?
In the Europa League, they're both qualified,should be ranked about the same.
Just winder whether uefa woul take that draw with ease,:)

In my mind there's two sets of clubs who pretty much plays the victims left and right in this.
Always the other side's fault,never facing up to what they do themselves,and add religion to that...
Infectious shit brother!

In one of our derbies ,we have two aik and djurgarden (aik is pretty much both Celtic and rangers combined here,the federations team etc) we got 3 games in an empty stadium plus a 3 point reduction when things got out of hands Vs djurgarden.
Were the only team who has got that here,wouldn't happen to aik of course...

Back
Top Bottom