The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

The Premier League.

Best league in the world? Is it though, really? Now that all ten games are live each weekend whilst there's no fans I've got to say there's at least 6 each weekend that I look at and think, nah, can't be bothered to watch that. Palace, Burnley, Sheffield Utd and West Brom amongst others I really can't be doing with watching as a neutral thanks.

I'm fed up with so many teams playing not to lose rather than to win. Owner's are so scared of falling off the gravy train the goal is simply to stay up by whatever means and for me that doesn't lead to entertainment.

Leeds have been an absolute breath of fresh air and have been responsible for being involved in the majority of the most enjoyable games this season.

Agree with that, it’s a lousy year for the EPL but watching Leeds is a real eye opener.Wait for 3 or 4 new signings coming in and a couple of the old guard being cleared out and we really will be flying.Hoping Erling Haaland can soon be afforded as he loves Leeds inside out.We are attracting big investment at long last.

Agree with that, it’s a lousy year for the EPL but watching Leeds is a real eye opener.Wait for 3 or 4 new signings coming in and a couple of the old guard being cleared out and we really will be flying.Hoping Erling Haaland can soon be afforded as he loves Leeds inside out.We are attracting big investment at long last.
Cant wait till my boys come to elland road (not) :CONF:we only scraped it at anfield, and we had a full squad then. :COAT:

Has been a bit of a dud year, vast majority of games are just awful to watch.

But I'm sure the condensed schedule and the lack of fans plays a huge part in that. When the PL came back I was just happy to have live football to watch again, but it hasn't really been enjoyable for me (even before Liverpool's meltdown started).

Hoping Erling Haaland can soon be afforded as he loves Leeds inside out.We are attracting big investment at long last.

What a signing he would be for them, and I would think he'd suit their style perfectly.

But I'm sure the condensed schedule and the lack of fans plays a huge part in that. When the PL came back I was just happy to have live football to watch again, but it hasn't really been enjoyable for me (even before Liverpool's meltdown started).

Yeah that's pretty much as I've felt about the football. I think the biggest miss of no fans is the fact that teams are not allowed to get away with just going through the motions and there's a real lack of urgency in most games that, again, fans will not stand for if your team are behind and will drive them on, that is definitely missing.

I think the only reason the Premier League is considered the best league as it is probably the most competitive.
You have Man City....
Then you have Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs - Sorry Arsenal fans but your not a big club anymore..
Out of the top 6/7 anyone could beat anyone.
And the the other 13 are all a case of anyone can beat anyone too.
This season has been rubbish because of Covid, but I am sure it will be great again soon.

Ligue 1 - you have PSG.
Spain - You have A. Madrid, R. Madrid and Barcelona
Italy - Italy is a pretty good competitive league at the moment, but it is just slow and boring to watch.
Germany - Bayern Munich + the rest

Personally I watch L2, football is doggy and people mislay passes all the time, but no VAR combined with really dodgy refs make it fun for me.
But nothing compares to the Champions League when you get to the Quarter Final stages, the competition is full of absolute top teams and top players -For me that is what football is and TBH it is better than the WC.

But nothing compares to the Champions League when you get to the Quarter Final stages, the competition is full of absolute top teams and top players -For me that is what football is and TBH it is better than the WC.
To me there's no question about that, in terms of entertainment the UCL is better. We always have a few nice WC games, but in the case of the UCL, we have on a yearly basis matches such as:
Man United 3-0 Olympiakos (0-2 1st match, 2013/14)
Real Madrid 4-1 Atletico de Madrid (Final, 2013/14)
Real Madrid 3-2 Wolfsburg (Aggregated, 2015/16)
Monaco 3-1 Man City (3-5 1st match, 2016/17)
Barca 6-5 PSG (Aggregated, 2016/17)
Juventus 4-4 Real Madrid (Aggregated, 2017/18, 2nd game broke my heart)
Roma 4-4 Barcelona (Aggregated, 2017/18)
Roma 6-7 Liverpool (Aggregated, 2017/18)
Ajax 5-3 Real Madrid (Aggregated, 2018/19)
Spurs 3-2 Ajax (0-1 1st game, 2018/19)
Liverpool 4-3 Barcelona (Aggregated, 2018/19)
Liverpool 2-3 Atlético de Madrid (1-0 1st match, 2019/20)
Bayern 8-2 Barcelona (2019/20)

As I get older my interest in football has narrows greatly. Now I struggle to care about anything other than Aberdeen, not even the rest of Scottish football.

Haven't been interested in the Champions League for years now. Elite-level football is utterly charmless.

I do love the international competitions still. They're about football the sport, not the business.

Probably, but would his game really suit them? Not really seen a lot of him other than highlights so I don't really know but he seems to thrive on through balls and counter attacks from what I have seen. Man Utd would probably be a good fit although Keane's history with his dad might put him off that one even if he knows Sjolskaer from coming through at Molde.

Probably, but would his game really suit them? Not really seen a lot of him other than highlights so I don't really know but he seems to thrive on through balls and counter attacks from what I have seen. Man Utd would probably be a good fit although Keane's history with his dad might put him off that one even if he knows Sjolskaer from coming through at Molde.

I know what you're saying Matt, and i am not saying it isn't so, but (even though they are our rivals), i think its not right that a club should have a cloud hanging over it, due to one players lunatic actions.

@Buzzy Yeah I agree, I just wonder if he'd have a problem with it being as it was his dad, probably not though. After all weren't Fowler, Gerrard and Carragher Everton fans as kids?

@Buzzy Yeah I agree, I just wonder if he'd have a problem with it being as it was his dad, probably not though. After all weren't Fowler, Gerrard and Carragher Everton fans as kids?

Gerrard was a Liverpool fan.
Carragher, Fowler, McManaman, Owen and Rush all supported Everton.

I also don't think Roy Keane's actions all them years ago will have too much bearing on Haaland's choice of club.
Roy Keane was all about revenge for Haaland laughing at him when he got seriously injured at Leeds.

I still reckon he will join Man City, they need a striker and have the amount of money required to sign him.
Dortmund no doubt will want 150m+ for Haaland and no one except Man City or PSG could probably afford him.

I really don't think there will be much movement again this summer, clubs have no money and teams will still be demanding ridiculous money for players.

Last edited:

Heres how they should do it...

Haaland and United start talking and get really close to making a sensational deal...
And then suddenly
Alf Inge Haaland breaks into the Sky Sports studio and jump tackles Roy Keane's face

the deal would go through after that

@Flipper the Priest I think it might have been something to do with the 70's American Soccer, Tampa Bay Rowdies etc, and a British reaction to them calling it soccer. I've always known it as football, I can't recall ever playing 'soccer' with mates even as a little kid, we'd always go and play football but at the same time Soccer was a genuine term but somehow used as a kind of overview of the whole football world(?) You played football, not soccer. I'm sure the reaction is linked to Americans calling it Soccer though.

@Flipper the Priest I think it might have been something to do with the 70's American Soccer, Tampa Bay Rowdies etc, and a British reaction to them calling it soccer. I've always known it as football, I can't recall ever playing 'soccer' with mates even as a little kid, we'd always go and play football but at the same time Soccer was a genuine term but somehow used as a kind of overview of the whole football world(?) You played football, not soccer. I'm sure the reaction is linked to Americans calling it Soccer though.

I think it's certainly become entrenched over my lifetime as a product of Americans adopting the term, and Brits' general hostility to Americans' take on sport in general. :LOL:

But it's a very British word and one, it seems, used liberally until about 30 years ago. The NASL boom is cited in a few articles I've read. Certainly by the time the 90s came around it was seen as a very American word and strictly off limits!

As it comes from a sort of bastardised abbreviation of the Association part of Association football I suppose it should really be called Soccer Football :LOL: Perhaps that's why as a kid I always thought of the term as an overview of all football, the soccer world so to speak, literally the 'association' of football.

But yes definitely a bit of 'piss off it's our sport not yours stop calling it that' thing :D

No Gylfi Sigurðsson so probably a 3-0 loss like last time.
alright!
i see it a bit closer... a german win with 1 goal difference! We are missing Hofmann due to Corona.

i bet you wont forget 2003! a goalless DRAW man, a draw!! ;)

edit: had a look... https://www.kicker.de/island-gegen-deutschland-2003-em-qualifikation-567118/analyse
how is your german these days?
;) translation:
Iceland and Germany split in the European Championship qualifier in Reykjavik with a disappointing zero. Iceland remains leader of the qualification group 5, the DFB selection remains in second place.
this reads so good!!!

edit: 10 min in. ok. It’s gonna be disastrous. :CONFUSE:

Last edited:
alright!
i see it a bit closer... a german win with 1 goal difference! We are missing Hofmann due to Corona.

i bet you wont forget 2003! a goalless DRAW man, a draw!! ;)

edit: had a look... https://www.kicker.de/island-gegen-deutschland-2003-em-qualifikation-567118/analyse
how is your german these days?
;) translation:

this reads so good!!!

edit: 10 min in. ok. It’s gonna be disastrous. :CONFUSE:
Iceland are currently employing a new strategy, conceding freely to lull Germany into a false sense of security...

Back
Top Bottom