The Fight Night Thread (for the original and yearly updates)

great! i've been waiting for another decent boxing game after rocky for ps2.

Looks and sounds incredible. So EA decided to do away with knockout kings then? I guess it was drying up a bit.

Nah they havent done away with knock out kings merely just repackaged it and flogged it off under a new titlet.

hahahah since when did EA sports ever bring out "NEW" games, pfft new I can't come to terms with EA sports using the term new what have they done changed the color of the canvas in the ring?

gucci said:
Nah they havent done away with knock out kings merely just repackaged it and flogged it off under a new titlet.

hahahah since when did EA sports ever bring out "NEW" games, pfft new I can't come to terms with EA sports using the term new what have they done changed the color of the canvas in the ring?

Actually- this Kok Iings franchise has always changed every couple of years. KOK2001 was more of a technical sim, whereas the 2003 editiion was a button banger.

But this new one is supposed to be entirely toggle driven so that you can control the type of punch, where it lands, it speed and its power. On defense it is also gonna be alot more free-flowing. I cant wait.

And they finally got the baddest man on the planet - Roy Jones Jr!

Yeah, Gucci, if you saw the article, you would give EA some credit, looks quite good, and if the control system works, this could be a good game.

It's probably gonna be better on x-box as well....

(another reason to buy one....damn) one wonders how long one can hold out buying an x-box!!

I downloaded all the movies I could find for this and it does indeed look like a class game, some of the knockdowns look brutally realistic and it seems they've finally put a decent career mode in there, can't wait :)

Gameplay looks a lot like another boxing game called 'Victorious Boxers', which was great but suffered from the fact it relied heavily on fictional characters from a Japanese anime.

If anybody has been struggling to get hold of the trailers for this (hard to find them on a site that isn't pay/subscription). I uploaded them to my webspace so I could show a mate at work, feel free to download them, if you're into boxing well worth checking out :)

Look out for an absolutely brutal knockdown halfway through the "fightnight_002_free.wmv" clip.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ps/FightNight.zip 10.2mb

The movies just say "spring", apparently that's Feb-April, according to a review they got a preview copy and it was virtually done so maybe we'll get it early spring which would be great.

Looks like they've decided to use ragdoll-type physics on the fighters. Especially when they get knocked down. You could see that the knockdowns aren't pre-animated.

Very cool, indeed. This is gonna be good, methinks.

zebula77 said:
Looks like they've decided to use ragdoll-type physics on the fighters. Especially when they get knocked down. You could see that the knockdowns aren't pre-animated.

Yeah I know it really adds to the game, fighters getting held up by the ropes results in them taking a right pasting :)

That last EA boxing game took 4 hours to complete, i hope they actually give this game a lifespan. Looks sweet though 8)

6 Weight classes, 20 year career, option to move up and down the weight classes (eg Jones Jr or Holyfield amongst others), apparently at least 6 "name" boxers in each weight class then the rest consist of made up Boxers (which I have no problem with). Sounds like it's going to have some longevity :)

Edit: It's a 20 year career not 18 :)

Yeah, I've seen some of the vids, the control system looks incredible, the degree of movement possible through defence and offence is amazing. Love the flurry of combos that can be put together to devastating affect..especially off the ropes, class!!

You sure it's the Fifa team? (Not that I know otherwise but I haven't read anywhere that it is or isn't).

It's produced by Kudo Tsunoda, I did a google search and found nothing linking him to Fifa, some interesting stuff, he's former "Executive Director" of 3DO, worked on such games as "Jonny Moseley Mad Trix" and "Dragon Rage" (can't say I've ever heard of either of them).

His photo is enough to put anyone off ;)

kudoproducer.jpg

I read that it was EA Canada that make it, and always hear people say "why do EA always give their football franchise to the Canadian team to make?"

Since you wrote your initial post I've also now read that it's EA Canada, believe it was posted on the gamefaq's message board. Makes sense though, surely the yearly installments of Fifa can only take a couple of weeks so they have to do something to earn their wages ;)

Well I don't think he's worked on Fifa, as I said google search didn't link him with it, he's producing Fight Night, but he did ok a rapper/talk show host to do the commentary so he's clearly muppetesque :)

ive got a feeling this is going to be good, i cant remember which one it was but Knockoutkings 2000 perhaps on the Ps1 was good (the second one on it anyway) but the ps2 one was a bit duff...

it sounds like its having a rejig control wise and the animation of the fighters looks very good...i hope they get it right anyway and give it a little more in the lines of simulation play...(cuts, KOs off a good punch as opposed to the stamina wearing fights down of the other knockout kings...yeah u could get knockouts in those games but the one hit knockdowns were rare, hopefully they mix it up a bit this time)

Rocky is my fav that was done well but even that can be beat on all difficulties with something like Uppercut, Hook, Uppercut wash rinse repeat.

Fifa games are cack but i think EA have done a fair job so far with the boxing games, they were different enough than the more arcadey ones around to make things more interesting anyway.

Back
Top Bottom