The Future Of English Cups

Should the league cup be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, but the Premiership teams should be excluded

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Just give the teams a winter break and everything will be alright!!

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Well, Arsene Wenger has come out today (BBC SPORT article can be read HERE) and said:

Arsene Wenger said:
In future I will not play senior players in the Carling Cup.

This begs the question, what is the point in having two national cup competitions?

I'm sure everybody agrees that the FA Cup is the most prestigious cup competition of the two, and it encompasses all leagues and all teams as well via the qualification rounds. Every team in the country who gets beat in the league cup ends up saying "ah well, it was a Mickey Mouse cup" and all that bollocks anyway, so what is the point?

If Premiership teams are going to be fielding weak sides, then is there going to be much point in these games to the spectator (saying that it "gives the young lads a run out", isn't much of an excuse as there's people who pay to watch a "special occasion" and discover the team they watched in the last round are all at home and the youth team has turned up for a game)?

Managers are constantly complaining about there being too many matches in a season anyway, with there being no winter break and all that, so would this not save everybody a lot of time and effort?

If the league cup isn't abolished, should it not exclude the Premiership teams who don't give a monkeys about it anyway and would rather save themselves the injuries? Should it not just be for Championship teams and below?

Last edited:
I reckon the Prem clubs should be given the choice whether to field a team or don't take part in the League Cup. It's been devalued enough as it is so it's not such a big loss if they opt out. The chance of winning silverware and going into Europe is still a good incentive for the other Prem teams who have little chance of getting into the CL anyway.

I think they should scrap the whole thing really. I just don't see the point of it. And I doubt any of the big teams or paying fans think of it with much enthusiasm either.

Back
Top Bottom